Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Brackhar posted:

Well, as an example, Dragon Age Inquisition has a pretty bad KB/M UI at launch, so the general recommendation was to use Gamepad instead. Skyrim's launch UI also works a lot better on Gamepad as well, so until SkyUI came out it was likely better to play with Gamepad there also.

That's all I'm asking about. It's something worth questioning in these days of simultaneous PC/Console releases.
Yeah it's not a strange question at all, some games have incredibly bad KBM controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

cheesetriangles posted:

Honestly that screenshot does look terrible.
It's clearly the youtube compression :smugbird:

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Just a reminder for the shills out there:

Utnayan posted:

That kid took some of his money and bought a game called Alien Colonial marines.

Why?

Because I was sitting there watching that movie with him and he loved the thing. His favorite part was when they set up the automatic machine guns and they went off and he knew when the guns were going off by looking at the counter tick down.

Aliens obviously.

He spent the money he got from this very site to buy that game. It was a horrid broken mess as we all know. And he wanted to buy it and I insisted that I do it for him and he insisted no, he was going to buy it because there were great internet people that helped him and it he wanted to let them know he had fun and spent that 40 bucks wisely so I made him a steam account, he downloaded it, and I bought him a nice gaming laopop to play it on since he was in his bed.

The game crashed constantly. Completely bug ridden as I found out later, and then knowing later through my contacts that the company... gently caress it.

This kid looks up to me and says, "This game doesn't work that well......" I tried to fix the computer, over and over, I gave him 5 laptops, nothing changed it. He said, "The movie was better I think".... And All I could think of, was that gently caress, ********* covering his rear end while he was being sued by ******** for 3rd party, yes.... what a mother loving bastard.

But those ads were awesome. You looked at the screen on the TV and you can sucker those casuals into buying your product or those moms and dads without thinking twice.

9 weeks later, that kid died.

You can see from why I am so adamant about being ethical when it comes to these games? Honeslty, no internet poo poo, have you ever had to explain to a kid that had some funds to spend to help him out and make him smile, and loved a game that oh well, "Those publishers suck I guess, lets go call it a life!"

Yeah some may think I am nuts. How about owning up to your product and not being an unethical gently caress. Has that ever once entered some minds.

Witcher 3 will be fine. What got me was the usual defense of obvious bullshit deflection.

Let me clue you in developers. We don't owe you poo poo. We bought your product, and sometimes off false promises and unfinished product. The hell you loving say we are entitled for feeding YOUR family. Get off your loving high horses and realize that false advertising is bullshit, and all your viral garbage will not make a few decent people go away.

Doesn't matter to you. You made your cash.
Hope that CDPR money helps you sleep at night. RIP Cancerkid

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

iGestalt posted:

It won't because people can't approach it in an intellectual manner, so all they do is fling poo poo and throw tantrums. Nothing gets done.
If there's one thing history should teach you it's that flinging poo poo and throwing tantrums quite often gets things done. Perhaps not in the best way possible, though.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
What folder is Witcher 2 saves imported from?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Khagan posted:

If this is Steam your look for a subfolder in the userdata folder called 20920
It's W2 steam W3 GOG, so I just had to move my saves to \My Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Man I keep getting hosed in combat because I try to use Ard interrupt enemy animations like you could in W2 but it doesn't seem to work against a lot of enemies in this game. Ard a Wolf when it's pouncing and it will still hit you and then recoil back after the pounce animation is finished. Overall I'm not enjoying combat at all, and I loved it in Witcher 2.

Also, is there any way to recover health besides potions and food on the harder difficulties?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Has anyone found a good way to handle item durability? Seems like weapons in particular wear down pretty quickly and repairing your gear at a blacksmith is very expensive so far.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

No Mods No Masters posted:

The cost gets less onerous as the game goes on because as far as I can tell it doesn't scale. An item always seems to cost the missing durability percentage in coins to repair (ie an item with 50% durability always costs 50 to repair), and that's just a much larger amount of your cash at the start of the game. I thought the durability was pretty bonkers as well until I realized that. Now I'm pushing level 8 with over 1000 in the bank and it's manageable.
That's good news, I'm still in White Orchard so 50-100 coins is a pretty substantial sum.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Is anyone else really struggling with the soft target lock with mouse/keyboard? It seems like the smallest of camera movements will change the target you're attacking, even if the new target is outside your POV. And since every attack has these massively long animations I often find myself jumping in the wrong direction during combat with groups of enemies. It's ridiculously annoying. The hard target lock limits camera movement and visibility too much so I can't get comfortable with it either.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Goddamn, everything about the Crones and the Crookback Bog is amazing. Feels like you're exploring a slavic folk tale.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Does the big tower Wyvern in Velen drop anything good? I may have accidentally drowned it and can't find the corpse :downs:

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
During last(?) part of the quest "Count Sigi Reuven's Treasure", is there really no alternative way to infiltrate the Witch Hunter oupost? I keep putting it off because it feels really lovely for Triss to risk her life like that :(

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Broken Cog posted:

It's her idea. Why not trust her?
Because it feels wrong to let your friend risk torture/rape/death in a risky rescue mission before at least evaluating every possible alternative.

Aurain posted:

If you don't want to risk her at all, you can just murder everyone as soon as you get in and then she's not in risk, but I don't believe there's a plan outside that one.
Guess I'll just do it that way then, it's not like they didn't have it coming. Thanks.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Execu-speak posted:

So what does the XP bug actually do and when does it kick in?

I'm currently in Velen having completed the Keira Metz tree and nearly finished the Baron tree. At what point should I stop and wait for the patch?
Looking over the rewards.xml, I'm starting to wonder if there even is an XP bug. Basically, it seems like every quest has two levels - a suggested level that appears in the journal, and a 'hidden' level that you can see in the reward file. These levels do not appear to be identical, so it's possible for a quest to be, for example, suggested level 10 but actually real level 8. Since we know that quests that are 6 levels below your own do not yield experience, I think this is where the perception of a bug is coming from. A level 15 player would think, based on his journal, that the suggested level 10 quest should give him experience, but in reality the quest is actually marked as level 8 in the rewards.xml. So no experience. This also explains why it's been impossible to pinpoint where exactly this xp bug actually appears - different players are doing various quests at different levels.

e: or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the quest itself has a "suggested" level, but the various steps inside the quest that actually yield the reward, for example searching a certain room in the Baron's keep, has their own level. If that makes sense.

Magical Zero fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 4, 2015

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Execu-speak posted:

Hmm that makes sense, I guess I'll keep trucking on then.
This is just my theory, though, so I can't guarantee that there isn't some sort of bug involved as well. But it definitely explains some of my recent xp issues - for example, Count Reuven's Treasure is suggested as level 12 in the journal, but the various steps in the rewards.xml specify level 9.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

ymgve posted:

Well the devs have said it is a bug and that they're patching it, so I don't think that explanation covers it fully.
Guess we'll find out next week. Personally, though, I'm actually finding that this explains every issue of lost experience I've encountered so far. But obviously that's based on a limited number of quests.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Man, that Black Pearl quest :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Finally bought and finished both expansions. Man, what an amazing experience.
It's cool how the way he just disappears after the conversation could be construed as a graphical glitch or something at the time. Turns out it was completely on purpose.