Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brackhar posted:

Any word on if this will be better to play on KB/Mouse or Gamepad as of yet? I'll be playing on PC either way, but it's an interesting distinction.

Just try both and use the one you prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Just play it with the kinect.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish I was paid for not being idiot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress all these false gamer sites.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's always nice to have some genuinely mentally ill people in threads.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

425 posts in 10 hours. What the gently caress happened?

Follow the money.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

I lot of my fights ended up being poke>roll away>poke>roll away ad nauseaum. It's even better when you take that skill that extends your roll length massively. It doesn't feel all that sporting but hey Witchers don't fight fair.

This but with spamming Igni instead of poking.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Kinda wish GOG had a preloading thing like Steam does, although I guess they couldn't do that without dropping their whole no-DRM deal. I would have picked it up on Steam, but I have both of the old games on GOG so I get the full 20% discount. Hopefully the game won't be one of those monstrosities with a huge file size.

What I'm saying is that I'm way more excited to play this swords and boobs game than an adult should be :v:

https://www.gog.com/news/preload_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

shrike82 posted:

isn't comte a marketing guy anyway? he's said he's not a developer.

He's a writer/quest designer.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't. What I've been doing is only remembering a couple of "essential" herbs I need (bombs that can destroy monster nests, potions I'll be using in combat) and going from there, only looking for specific bits and pieces if I'm wanting to craft armour or need special potions for bigger fights.

You do know that potions replenish when you meditate right (provided you have alcohol in your inventory)?. You don't actually need to make a single potion/oil/bomb more than once so memorizing the ingredients they use is useless.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bubbapook posted:

For those asking about bomb materials, very early on if you do the noonwraith sidequest in the abandoned village you can then go to the herbalist from the main questline and she'll give you a bunch of crafting materials which include the stuff you need for a bomb. No idea why you can only craft 2 bombs at a time though??

The idea is that the bombs replenish when you meditate (just like potions and oils) as long as you have alcohol in your inventory. That way you only need to collect the materials once.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nothing should weight anything. Carrying capacity is always a bad idea and just makes the game worse. The same with equipment durability.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Right, so not only did Geralt forget all the alchemy recipes he had learned up to the end of W2, he also threw away all the gear he had acquired. Perhaps the Geralt in The Wild Hunt is actually an imposter who had to assume the role after the original fell into a hole in the ground between games.

Geralt actually has Alzheimer's .

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Recent advancements in Witcher Science has enabled the using of alcohol to replenish your potions. Because of this revolutionary breakthrough, the recipes have changed and the older ones are now outdated.

The Witchers discovered the secrets of homeopathy between the games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This upgrade to Axii which makes the enemies into temporary allies seems really powerful. These enemies are 1-2 shotting each other. I don't know if the difficulty makes a difference (I'm on the hardest difficulty) but the damage seems really excessive.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

roymorrison posted:

Like oh poo poo ive got all sorts of spells and swords and poo poo but i have to meditate before literally anything which is waaaaay better then just having your health regen or some poo poo

Considering that the health gain from meditation is removed on higher difficulties, meditating after you lose some health isn't really necessary.

Just eat some food, drink a swallow or use one of the skills which allow you to regain health (like quen active shield.

Memento posted:

How do I get a Monster Lair to turn grey on the map? I thought I might have had to loot everything and then it would go, but I've been through it with a fine-toothed comb and it's still white. Annoying.

Does the place have a nest that you need to blow up with a bomb?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 22, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Are there any upgrade schematics for the Viper school weapons later in the game?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 22, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bland posted:

With the full Griffin set and some Blue mutagens my Igni's decimate equal level drowner packs in 2 shots

And everything starts burning when you cast it. Igni becomes really loving good when you stack intensity.

Orv posted:

With my Superior Griffin Armor slotted with Quen intensity slots means Quen can soak multiple hits from a skull level enemy. It's pretty dumb.

What difficulty are you on?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

28 hours played and I'm just entering Novigrad for the first time. Holy hell does this game have a lot of content.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gwent would probably work pretty well in a draft or sealed format if some things were changed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Just got the Griffin armor set. Does anyone think this set will be any good considering it focuses on signs and stamina rather than damage like the cat and bear school?

It's fantastic for a sign focused Geralt.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Ah. That's a bit lame. So the game sort of punishes you in a sense for exploring too much too early? As in you could theoretically could find gear at an early level that would be amazing if you had found it later in the game. Makes me wish I hadn't found that sword.

I don't think those swords you find are unique in any way. I have two Addan Deiths right now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Baron posted:

A few pages ago there was mention of using the swipe actions on the DS4 to select diffrent signs, but I can't figure out how. I'm using DS4Windows and I've enabled touchpad swipes for controls, but the game never recognizes them. What am I doing wrong? :(

When you are binding the swipes, toggle the "Scan Code" option on in the binding window.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 24, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

alex314 posted:

Witcher is a breath of fresh air for me, and I really really hope quest from Witcher becomes RPG standard.

That would require actual effort so it won't happen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Aren't the detective vision and witcher sense systems basically identical though.

Sure but the Witcher 3 actually uses it well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you missed the Gwent cards from the innkeeper in White Orchard, the generic merchant in the same village seems to sell them now with the 1.04 patch.

Now I finally have a second 8 strength Catapult.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Witcher potions/bombs/oils prove that homeopathy works.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spiky Ooze posted:

Are you talking on the hardest difficulty or something? Normally besides heal potion you don't need anything else, and for bosses you might use 3-4 things, but having juggle consumable inventory against a boss kind of makes sense since this is an RPG.

"You don't need to use consumables" and "RPGs are expected to have bad inventory management" aren't very good arguments.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've got a locked door problem. I traveled to Fyke's Island and started investigating the tower. I don't yet have the quest item I need to clear the place, I was just exploring when I came here. I looted everything and started my way back down, but the ground floor door is locked and I can't open it. I can't jump out of the tower either, since the lowest balcony is on the third floor, well high enough for the fall to kill me. Is there a console command or something to unlock the door? What do I do?

There are two doors outside in the tower and one of them is locked. You probably just tried the wrong one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm not that big of a graphics enthusiast or whatever but are the ps4 versions and PC functionally the same outside of graphics?

PS4 has FPS drops and can't run at 60 FPS.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nakar posted:

Radovid proposes in all seriousness to marry Anais La Valette, a girl who is like 25-30 years younger than him, just to strengthen his claim on Temeria.

That age difference wasn't that abnormal in medieval times.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I had some problems using delusion with a controller until I noticed that it works better if you slowly push the trigger down instead doing it normally.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If anything, death march becomes too easy once you level up a bit. I'm now level 20 and I haven't died or even had any problems in a long time, mostly because Igni with high intensity destroys everything that is capable of burning.

Many of the large monster also have really similar movesets so if you know how to fight one, you probably know how to fight all of them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nessin posted:

I stopped right about the time I had enough skill points and slots to start combos for stun locks or health regen and I saw the writing on the wall. I guess my point is why bother with keeping the difficulty up once you reach that point? I easily saved myself at least 10 hours, and based on other accounts maybe even 20-30 hours, over the course of the game by dropping the difficulty when I wasn't getting anything out of keeping it up. Even if I did step back on the preparation by the time I was wearing a full set of superior gear with skills to buff regular attacks (on the lower difficulties) I was one shotting enemies rather than spending 60+ seconds dancing around them and chipping away at health without feeling at risk. That is really what confuses me, the idea that the game is "easy" at Death March so you're keeping it that way? Either force yourself to make it challenging or just drop the difficult to you cruise through the easy combat at an even faster pace.

There is still a difference between pretty easy and absolute cakewalk.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I ended up at level 35 near the end of the story, which is more than enough to do all the remaining side missions as well. Don't worry that some side quests does't give exp, you're not gonna miss out on anything.

What difficulty were you playing on? The harder difficulties give less XP.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone know if the first Igni talent that reduces enemy armor works on everything or just humans enemies that have actual armor?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theDOWmustflow posted:

Witch hunters should throw Dimeritium bombs in combat. It would contribute to gameplay, distinguish witch hunters from other human combatants, and makes their role make more sense. I sort of don't get how these mages and sorceresses are cowering in fear when you have people like Triss who can effortlessly light dudes' balls on fire literally and weaponize any source of flame like a torch or brazier. Or teleport out.

Or take a single surprise arrow and die.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Beeez posted:

So, question from someone who hasn't played it yet. There's a lot of talk of "using all the tools at your disposal", but people are also saying one should pick a specific "build" to use. How are you supposed to use all the tools at your disposal if you're only supposed to focus on one branch of the tree?

Just because you focus on signs or whatever it doesn't mean that bombs and potions become useless.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Symetrique posted:

As far as griffins or griffin reskins go, lighting them on fire with Igni or a few bombs works great. Actually I'm pretty sure thats how I killed Ignus as well.

Anything that is capable of burning is trivialised by Igni if you have high sign intensity (if you have the alt. Igni skill they are even more trivialized).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Krogort posted:

Anyone has a functional trainer for quick and easy experience ?

Just use cheatengine. Using it to gain experience takes like 5 minutes.