Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Orv posted:

Which draw distance issues would those be in that screenshot?

It looks like the grass is missing in the middle ground (around the bare trees) and towards the right hand side (behind the fluttering banner) of that screenshot. The trees on the hill looks a little clean without bark? They're still 3D so it shouldn't stand out at a glance.

I think that accusation is pretty weak considering bethesda is stupid enough to create any elevated area on their gamebyro engine when it lets you see the LoD noise in its hideous glory. And the faraway enemies clipping through the ground. Judging by the screenshots so far, the devs are smart enough to create areas that hide engine limitations than make really crappy ones that people have to mod away (that might screw up other areas with random CTDs for added value).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Poetic Justice posted:

I also noticed that there is a blue pixel (upper left) below the flag (left hand upper left) that is bleeding into the ground (center object)

There's still time to cancel your preorder.

Ice Fist posted:

*looks at screenshot* Holy poo poo that looks amaz...

.. What? I just... Do I not have the eyes to see this poo poo? Am I just not a graphics snob?

It means you're one of the lucky ones who spend more time playing games than installing mods and uploading screenshots.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I wish the talent tree tooltips would show all ranks of a talent or failing that, an undo button. Most skills look like flat numerical filler though.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

A witcher might use super drugs, bombs, crossbows and magic to even the odds but stabbing someone in the groin is mean. :ohdear:

Geralt slicing someone's shoulder and thigh off and sending them into orbit was another spectacle I wasn't prepared for.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

botany posted:

Thanks! Next question: What do I do with the trophies? My horse is lugging the Griffin head around and I think it's starting to smell.

Most (all?) monsters have a small chance to drop a trophy which sells okay, they're not unique but boss monsters are naturally rarer and tend to have better bonuses. Just keep one and switch it out as you find better ones.

On another note, I'm really thankful for alcohol replenishment because I'm chugging potions all the time on death march no Quen. At first I thought the heal on meditation would be a big deal but it really isn't bad with my Geralt stuffing himself full of raw meat and honeycombs. I just use Cat for the Frenzy bonus and use more counterattacks rather than do something stupid like eat a hit trying to use a strong attack on a charging enemy (don't).

Parry seems to work on most fast enemies, monster or human. Wolves and dogs in groups of 8-9 will dogpile on you but with timing you can parry the first 3 or four attacks and igni all of them while they're bunched up. Drowners are a nuisance because they can stagger on their 'normal' attacks unlike 2H weapon humans who have windup.

I wish the game was a little better on telegraphing enemy light and heavy attacks but hopefully I'll get better!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Magical Zero posted:

Man I keep getting hosed in combat because I try to use Ard interrupt enemy animations like you could in W2 but it doesn't seem to work against a lot of enemies in this game. Ard a Wolf when it's pouncing and it will still hit you and then recoil back after the pounce animation is finished. Overall I'm not enjoying combat at all, and I loved it in Witcher 2.

Also, is there any way to recover health besides potions and food on the harder difficulties?

When dealing with monsters that pounce or leap, use Yrden - even if you're attacking something else, the forward movement from a light attack can make them whiff completely. Wolves and dogs can be parried and they're pretty much dead while recoiling.

Sun and Stars under General Talents is free slow regen during the day. Sadly it doesn't heal you if you meditate during the day. :(

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

Open world to me means that I can wander around just about where ever I please and complete objectives in the order that I see fit for the most part. It means that exploration is heavily emphasized and that things like the main quest line is not on rails and can even be ignored to a degree like Elder Scrolls games. I have not played Witcher 3 yet but I am tempted to pick it up. I was not a fan of Witcher 1 or 2 beyond the story which was very good. Would most of you describe its world like this?

Somewhat, monsters have fixed levels so certain areas will be tough unless you want to break a sword on their face and chip away. Fortunately the harder fights are largely optional, being out of the way and not related to NPC quests. Exploring as much as possible is how you'll get blueprints for good gear and materials to make them and being overgeared is just as desirable as getting as much xp as you can.

Overall the wide expanses reminds me of Red Dead Redemption but the effort to place activities everywhere is like Guild Wars 2, however you need to be on top of your combat game if you want to pick a direction and ride there. Fighting enemies half a dozen levels above you is a surefire way to lose weapon durability quickly.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

My new favorite thing in the game is knocking people off their horse with Aard, stealing their horse with Axii and riding away. :allears:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Drifter posted:

Can you explain this a little more? Upgrade armor? I sold my original armor a long time ago after I had found better stuff.

The Kaed Morhen chestpiece you begin the game with has an upgrade tree that you can only craft if you keep the previous version. In white orchard you'll get a recipe that upgrades it into a level 2 chestpiece. You need to keep that chestpiece to keep upgrading it because you can't replace it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The Hebug posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go past that level 2 upgrade that makes it the Warrior's Leather Jacket and by the time you finish White Orchard, you'll have better crafted/found armor anyways. Unless someone has found a diagram for something that upgrades the Warrior's Leather Jacket (doesn't seem to be the case) I wouldn't worry about it.

I haven't paid any attention if the starting armor has an upgrade that goes to the end since I don't even like the look of it. But Drifter didn't understand that some armor pieces have upgrades. There were a fair few TW2 recipes that required specific weapons and armor so it's not a surprise to me personally. TW3 has enough relic loot in every zone that it's not necessary to craft gear at all, for better or worse they don't suddenly drop off and spike like TW2 weapons.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah two of my favorite things in this game is the unabashed use of color and also the sound environment holy gently caress

The foley is really impressive, on par with Battlefield games. I can't help but smile when a wooden door opens somewhere and it's the same door sound from Morrowind and countless movies though! :3:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

mcbexx posted:

The dwarven blacksmith in the Baron's courtyard is selling a pattern for an armor with 100% burning protection and some other nice stats for 499 coins.

Just make a mental note if you find yourself needing to stand in some flames later on.

It's such a tease since it won't be used any time soon. It might even be a trap if you go to another zone and there's better gear or better yet, free relics in a cave somewhere.

Fat Samurai posted:

Apparently you can keep on upgrading it as the game goes on. Also it doesn't make you look like a twat. Striped gambesons are silly.

Just to be clear on this, the starting armour has one upgrade. The way the game will give you a Skellige Gambeson when you enter velen makes it pretty clear you do not carry one set of armour through the entire game. It is an (not very obvious)initiation on keeping gear to upgrade into a superior version.

There are lots of recipes that require pieces of equipment and they are varied enough that there is no one true armour set. I prioritise DoT resistance because bleeding is obnoxious and a killer on death march.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Casting Quen will immediately stop any DoTs on you, I think?

Does it?

I'm not using Quen under any circumstances so it's a moot point. :v:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I know I've done it with burning, and I'm fairly certain with poison. Bleeding I'm not sure about, I don't think I've ever been hit with that one.

:crossarms:

Relying on Quen for defence is a bad idea, but there's no reason not to throw it on before a fight just in case. It's not as if it blocks stamina regen like in 2.

I'll keep that in mind for my second playthrough!

I'm not using Quen as a matter of choice. I'm a silly goofball who wants to finish death march without using it. Besides, it doesn't solve the TW2 holdovers of awful telegraphing on monsters and absence of a true guard breaker. I prefer Yrden for damage avoidance due to those reasons.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Some of the skills you can learn will allow you to use adrenaline to do special attack,s but I haven't done much with them. There's also a hidden feature, which is that you do more damage the more adrenaline you have, but I don't know how significant it is.

It's an extra 10% damage for each pip. It's nice in a long fight where you want to squeeze in any boosts.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Woah wait what?

It doesn't block all damage and it doesn't stop stamina regen. The alternate version of Quen blocks all attacks and heals Geralt, but drains stamina.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Any merchant as a herbalist will pay a premium for honeycomb. In Valen there are maybe 5-6 wandering herbalists in addition to the merchants and herbalists locked behind abandoned settlements. You'll be rich before you end up in novigrad or skellige. Bet the maximum amount on horse racing and brawling for a tidy sum too.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Andrast posted:

This upgrade to Axii which makes the enemies into temporary allies seems really powerful. These enemies are 1-2 shotting each other. I don't know if the difficulty makes a difference (I'm on the hardest difficulty) but the damage seems really excessive.

Maybe it's due to extra damage from the difficulty? Archers will frequently one shot bandit leaders and officers in the back, I suppose there's some kind of backstab modifier from TW2. It could also be intentional so that when friendly fire happens, it can swing a fight your way. Personally I think if there are enemies who knock out Geralt in three hits, it's only fair they murder each other just as fast. :colbert:

Calaveron posted:

Can I go back to white orchard immediately after getting to Velen? I missed the serpentine things and also a lot of points of interest

Yup! Use a fast travel post.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Slanderer posted:

Am I missing something with regards to healing? I don't heal from meditation on my difficulty, so I think my only options are:
1) Food
2) Swallow potions
3) The "Regen health during the day" ability

(3) Isn't possible when I'm indoors (I think), and it seems like food is really expensive (for the amount of healing it does), and I haven't seen any craftable healing items. Is just converting alcohol to Swallow the best value for healing?

Swallow accelerates the healing from eating food so you can conserve food by only eating one or two things. Alcohol to restock swallow is abundant so don't worry about it. I thought no heal on meditation was going to be a big deal but it really isn't. Sun and Stars does a nice job of topping off health. For some reason sometimes it stops working when it's daylight, meditating usually fixes it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Memento posted:

What are people using to take screenshots in non-Steam versions? My copy came free with my jraphics card, with the caveat that I add it to my GoG account and play it through there. Galaxy doesn't have a screenshot button that I can find yet, and apparently Dxtory doesn't take screenshots either?

It won't let you take screenshots through the steam overlay either and I can't even use my global keybinds, the game is weird like that. I wanted to take a screen shot of a field covered in dead sheep. Livestock in some areas respawn instantly, it's actually pretty profitable considering how much hides sell for.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

The first time I've crashed outside of a cutscene, was when I was tailing some shady individuals. I don't know what to make of that. :tinfoil:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Are endrega warriors that bad? They let you strong attack them three times for every one of their attacks and their leap is as telegraphed as a bear charge. I'd rather fight three warriors than six workers.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

God, yes. I thought I'd be using them way more, but as you said it's too much of a hassle for such a limited benefit. It wouldn't be quite as bad if they worked on an extended timer (say between ten minutes and half an hour) and applied to both weapons for Poisoned Blades, but even then the UI should make it far easier to access all of your tools quickly without any roadblocks.

Making a decision should be the player's focus, not digging around to implement it.

Also, it seems clunky that if I use up my bombs in a quick slot then meditate without having placed something else in that slot, the refilled bombs don't simply reappear in the same slot.

Oils get upgraded formulas that you can scrounge ingredients early on, they're absolutely worth using without a alchemy focus. I had a superior beast oil by the time Geralt was level 6, increasing damage by 50% for 60 hits, it's a pretty good boost if you have say, a nekker warrior mutagen - that's another 20% attack power boost with three swordsmanship talents active.

I do wish there was a button that brought up your oils and Geralt would apply it to his active sword with an animation ala Souls games. It's one little thing I would totally expect from a witcher.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I'm applying oils in combat, I think? I use them all the time, at any rate, and never seen anything telling me I can't apply an oil in combat.

Having to open the inventory to do it is a pain in the tits, though, I agree. The process of activating oils adds nothing to the game; given that you don't even have to recharge them the way you do potions, you might as well just do away with the whole thing and say that when you unlock an oil that bonus applies in perpetuity.

I have the Superior Beast Oil formula, but where do you find Enhanced?

I'm not sure if you're referring to me with the first part but what I was saying is a button shortcut that brings up oils to use like the toolbar circle to skip the inventory completely would solve UI hassle.

As for finding the enhanced oil formula, I can't quite remember. It was definitely loot and not bought from a herbalist. I was exploring the outskirts of novigrad, I know I made it after killing the White Lady which took forever at level 6.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

TescoBag posted:

How did you get them so fast?

I was exploring places with enemies 8-10 levels above me and sacking everything I could find. Some treasures I had to pass up, there was no way I'm getting into a fight with two alghouls 9 levels above me on death march. I found endrega embryos from loot before I fought any endregas for example. That probably broke the 'you must be x level to fight y monsters and get z material' curve for several superior oils and potions.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

So those fancy clothing come in handy after all! I wonder what other interactions are out there. :allears: The guards will allow entry into the House of Respite with the clothing Geralt was forced to wear in Vizima.

Offkorn posted:

So, there's an exclamation point quest in the Novigrad docks to clear out a merchant's warehouse for a guard, and there's a second merchant there arguing with them. Inside the warehouse is a single nekker and Geralt mentions that seems odd. Does anything else ever come from that? I didn't see any way to follow up on how it got in there.

Well, those two merchants are related to the quest from the guard. Use witcher sense in the warehouse. On the ground are footprints matching a dwarf and cage bars sawn through. One merchant is unscrupulous, the other is an jerk.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 25, 2015

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

I wish it was a little clearer what clearing out bandit camps and reclaiming lost sites 'does.' It's a little jarring to ride up into a camp of bandits or drowners, kill them, and then before the bodies can even be cleared away, a bunch of peasants come up and set up shop. How does this affect the game?

You can still pick up the loot from their bodies, they'll disappear eventually. Restoring abandoned areas almost always unlocks a merchant or herbalist.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Mischitary posted:

One thing that worries me though (spoilers up to the point where you get to Novograd) I did the Keira Metz quest and it ended with me having to kill her to stop her from giving the research away but then I watched a playthrough where she was sent to Kaer Morhen and the only difference seemed to be that I didn't sleep with her. I'm trying to play Geralt as faithful to Yennefer and I'd be pissed if like by not sleeping with Triss for example she ends up dead in an alley.

I'm pretty sure that's not the turning point. Calling her a two headed snake isn't a good idea. It's much better to be a little tactful when dealing with sorcerors. It doesn't matter if Geralt sleeps with her or not, she can be talked down.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Aurain posted:

I have the DLC installed and the beard grows fine for me.

Hairstyles and beards added by the DLC do not have hair growth.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

anatomi posted:

Nilfgaardian sounds like a mix of mainly Dutch sprinkled with German and French to me. This goes for their culture as well.

There's some Italian in there as well. When Geralt invades their personal space, it's an exasperated "Che?" (What?) and the verb structure in sentences resembles part French and Italian.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Lugaloco posted:

Gargoyles are a right pain in the arse.

They're weaker than golems. They stagger from light attacks, you can easily fit in three hits every cycle. Kite them into Yrden and always be ready to roll away from the stomp.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

lilspooky posted:

Alright thanks. Is there some way to fight her during the day?

Yup! Walk away and meditate. They're bound to a location, it's not like they're going anywhere.

As for tips, the moment it enters Yrden and materialises, hit it with three light attacks and move away. If it tries to do a multi-hit combo, you're too slow or greedy. Geralt moves forward when attacking so there's no need to be in its face all the time since it can lunge and that's what two shots you. If you even try hitting when its incorporeal it might lunge and two shot you. If it teleports, simply kite it into a new Yrden. Once it does the blinding move, the clouds reflect where the clones will appear, you can back up and disperse them with a single hit or wait it out. Moon Dust bombs forces it to materialise for ~10 seconds.

Coincidentally the default horse blinders and axii lets Geralt keep a horse steady through the blindness move, you can kill a wraith effortlessly on horseback.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Avalanche posted:

So is Nilfgaard a wink to Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, or both?

Just kind of curious if historical Poland is represented by Kadewin being taken over/dissolved by Redania or just Nilfgaard going apeshit against all the Northern Kingdoms and dissolving Temeria. It really seems to be a huge huge theme in the story/game especially coming from Polish authors and a Polish dev team.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I think it's awesome how hosed up pretty much every kingdom is in its own way. I'm just wondering where the analogy to Poland fits in since Poland was one of the few countries both in WW1 and WW2 that didn't do any kind of aggressive saber rattling bullshit leading to war (at least that I know of).

They had a special regiment with lightning bolts as their insignia, that's really all you need to know. The invasion of Poland and the related politics is most definitely a recurring theme, however. It's probably why Iorveth's path in TW2 could only take place in magical dreamworld.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Radovid will pluck out her eyes if you remove the enchantment from Saskia, I believe?

This isn't true. TW2 spoilers She's arrested by the Redanians on both paths, you just happen to witness it in Iorveth's path.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. I've been playing on Blood and Broken Bones, though my focus has been on light attacks/dodging.

I'm 35 hours in and I still don't get adrenaline points. Can someone please explain this concept to an idiot like me.

Adrenaline points are built up by doing damage, getting hit reduces them. They boost sword damage by 10% per pip (I think), certain talents can consume them. Rage management lets you spam signs in exchange for adrenaline which works nicely with high crit damage.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Why do people keep bringing up 'enemies keep moving out of Yrden' like it's something they can't control. You kite them back into it or or make another circle. Wraiths almost always teleport behind or away from you. Don't Play with Gods was one of the most refreshing fights in the game, 7-8 wraiths and a nightwraith teleporting everywhere and a second, better version of Ultimatum thanks to rng.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Woozy posted:

It's actually ridiculously plausible to get to a number of super hard Wraith fights without ever finding the Moon Dust recipe. If you stick to the main story and proceed straight to the Baron you won't find it except as a random drop.

The game is downright terrible about making recipes available in any reasonable manner. Jenny of the Woods would have been a good introduction to using Moon Dust bombs. Dimeterium bombs can be gamechanging but some people may never find the recipe. I found regular and enhanced Black Blood (a very thematic yet niche potion) formulas from random loot before I found moon dust for sale.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Palpek posted:

I noticed that there's a copy of a very well known medieval crane from Gdansk, Poland in the docks of Novigrad:

I like seeing things like this in games, it would be cool to see what real-life counterparts were used as references for some of the more prominent building models in the game.

Anno 1404 has a building called the Historical Warehouse that looks it as well, I noticed it in floatsam too! :3:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Palpek posted:

Another tip for people beginning the game that I haven't seen mentioned - you can easily kill whole groups of enemies that outlevel you if you do it from horseback. Remember that when you hold the left mouse button during a fight while sitting on a horse - action will go into slow-motion and Geralt will hold the sword up ready to swing and it's really easy to hit people this way. I'm bolding that as I only discovered it by accident. As a bonus you will decapitate everybody and it's pretty sweet.

It's harder with monsters as your horse gets spooked but now with the free DLC there are some good relatively cheap sets you can buy even in prologue that make the horse brave enough for this tactic to be feasible. It's so easy to clear bandit/deserter camps or monster nests this way even being 10 levels behind your enemies that it's not even funny as you almost don't get hit.

Casting Axii on Roach makes him almost immune to fear for a (very) short while. Not even a wraith performing its blind attack will fill up the entire bar. The white lady died without landing a hit but it did take ten minutes of crits on horseback. That was enough to never attempt another boss enemy when it severely outleveled Geralt. :v:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Sometimes, a parent should push the child into doing what's genuinely best for the child, as opposed to what she desires in her heart. Imagine your daughter one day tells you she wants to be a wandering bohemian artist when you have prepared her for a career as a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer.

Imagine a mother telling her daughter that she doesn't care if she has no grandchildren in her lifetime if it means her daughter has the freedom to do whatever she really wants to do. Sounds like a totally irresponsible parent, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

cams posted:

Are White Orchard, the Royal Palace, Velen, Novigrad, Skellige Isles, and Kaer Morhen really the only areas in the game? Velen is gigantic but still and Skellige is pretty big, but I kinda expected more.

I'm somewhere near the 80 hour mark and I've only begun to start exhausting contracts and gwent challenges in Skellige and Velen; there's still the entire storyline waiting after those are done too.

The only map that's denser with actual worldbuilding is in Guild Wars 2 and it doesn't do believably lovely medieval. I'm not really sure how you came to that conclusion unless you walked through most of the optional content eyes glued shut.