Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
By that standard Geralt's world is suffering from the Ice Age already too. The elves can remember when things were warmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That doesn't bother me because it's not consistent in the books either.

At the start it's depicted as the Witcher world's star changing in output. Later it's an axial tilt shift.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SoulChicken posted:

Anyone know where I can get the werewolf decoction recipe?

There's a shack in North Velen with some orphans you can feed. Give them food and as a reward they give you a book on werewolves that fills out your bestiary and gives you that decoction, IIRC.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It doesn't work on PC when playing with a controller and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be able to use them mid-fight anyway. It's a glitch.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Has the patch made performance worse for anyone else on PC? I thought it was supposed to have optimizations. I'm having the opposite experience.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

casual poster posted:

So I want to know where I stand in this game as far as storywise (and time wise). I'm still in Novigrad, haven't left it yet at all. It seems like I'm able to leave here since a main quest is telling me to take a boat to someplace called Skillege (sp?) which I'm guessing is another kingdom, but I haven't done that yet because I'm finishing up some sidequests.

30-40% depending on how many sidequests you're doing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The peasant sounds of hawking and snorting and all their nasal spitting fills me with disgust.

Everyone is sick all the time because Radovid killed all the mages, alchemists, and herbalists.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You have to use magic to see the minimap, so Radovid doesn't know about those.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Did you download the FCR mod or something? That sounds nothing like my experience at all.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ending chat Getting wasted with Ciri isn't the good option guys, it's the bad one where you fail to cheer her up or offer her any useful advice. You got the bad ending because the only good option you did was burying Skjall with her.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

boz posted:

Just finished the game and got the good ending, so I'm pretty much the best dad ever.

Just one question I had lingering due to forgetting about earlier story happenings.

[Involving what happens after you finish the first three big quest threads]

When and why did he get that magical fairy jar that guided him to Ciri?

Avallac'h gives it to you after you fix the curse that turned him into Uma. The glowing fairy thing appears to be Ciri's soul.

enraged_camel posted:

I have a question regarding the main story. Can someone respond without spoiling anything?

I'm at the stage where I can choose to travel to Kaer Morhen. If I do so, will I be able to go back to the other zones and continue exploring/questing, or will the "end sequence" start and I'll be locked into that until I finish the game? Hope that makes sense.

I ask because I got the impression that I've "collected" lots of companions and convinced them to meet me at Kaer Morhen, which feels like preparation for some sort of final battle... but much of Skellige is unexplored and I don't want to beat the game without seeing everything there is to see.

FWIW, I'm level 20, and I've found several armor recipes that are 30+, but I don't know if the game expects me to be near max level before I can beat it.

That's not the end game even though it feels like it. You've got a ton of game left and will return to all the major hubs.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not the only one that hasn't liked any of the alternate outfits, am I?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Crappy Jack posted:

I commend their dedication to creating an entire texture set for an old naked woman that gets used precisely once in the entire game.

the dark side of realistic, appropriate nudity in video game story telling

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

OAquinas posted:

Also means that Geralt is practically a teetotaler witcher with how little alcohol is consumed; I guess Yen will be happy...

Yen likes the hard stuff actually. She just doesn't want Geralt getting loaded at that one party because, y'know, plot.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Every single person at that party wanted to drink "one or two beers" with Geralt. After awhile that adds up, even on a witcher.

It'd kind of suck if instead of talking to Crach and stealing that mask from Ermion Geralt woke up in Kaer Trolde with a tattoo after trying to ride the asses of four whores to Undvik.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Your avatar is loving terrifying. Remind me never to search for Witcher fanart on deviantart.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the in-character justification for that one is Ciri not wanting them to see her tattoo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Nitrousoxide posted:

Whatever you do, don't let Yen scare you off from drinking a bunch with your fellow witchers in Ker Morhen. I took that one all the way to the end of the drunken escapades and oh was it worth her being pissed at me.

There's not a lot of reason not to do this because even if you quit early Geralt wakes up shirtless and hungover anyway with everyone else having awoken before him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

I loved this quest so much I ended up reloading it and seeing all the different endings. As long as you get wasted enough that you end up searching for Eksel, there's going to be a funny ending whether you try to go to sleep right away after, or go the distance

Really? I've only gone to sleep before then, and then gone all the way and tried to drunk dial the Lodge while crossdressing. Other stuff happens depending on when you bail?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

420 Gank Mid posted:

Lambert doesn't take it well when you don't like his ideas.

gently caress, I've got to try this.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the best ending combo for the main characters and the world in general is actually Witcher Ciri, Geralt and Yen retiring, and Dijkstra taking over Redania, but I can't justify Geralt leaving Roche, Ves, and Thaler to die to myself from a roleplaying standpoint. Geralt just wouldn't do that, I don't think

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Relic swords are relics because they're old and lovely and no one wanted them. They just dumped them in random tombs and poo poo and the monsters were stuck with them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Shame on you if you sold the Emmentaler though.

I'm kinda mad Geralt never actually tells Vesemir about that time in the deadly maze of the cheesemancer. He'd probably be glad of the break from the Zeugl story.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

1stGear posted:

Who all can you bring to the Battle of Kaer Morhen? I'm assuming the witchers plus Yen and Triss are mandatory. Past that I got Hjalmar (Cerys was queen), Ermion, Ves and Roche, Letho, Keira, and Zoltan. Dijkstra gave me gold and Crach gave me a sword.

Is that everybody or should I have side-quested more?

It' almost everybody. Hjalmar can bring his buddy Forlan and Vigi the Loon with him if you saved them on his sidequest.

Still hoping against hope that Iorveth gets added and recruitable at some point. Him, Roche , and Letho being in the same room would be hilarious.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Iorveth being cut from this game is a crime all around.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Azazell0 posted:

I just can't agree that witcher Ciri instead of her being empress is the best ending, but I guess this is heavily down to player's perspective on stuff.

I can't believe that it would work out that well for world despite what the ending slides inform you. Ciri herself would be miserable on top of that. Plus it's kind of the most nonsensical ending from a writing perspective. The nobles and merchant guilds are mad at Emhyr...but they accept his half-Nordling daughter who has never even been to Nilgaard proper and is advised by a Nordling sorceress most famous for having at least two kings assassinated? Also Geralt and Yennefer are perfectly happy abandoning Ciri to Philippa and Emhyr and Voorhees?

I just can't see it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I'd be behind someone making a TW3 spoilers thread.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ending chat: If you trust Ciri to make her own decisions she has no interest in meeting Emhyr so that ending never happens. Being an Empress is a miserable job that is completely counter to everything Ciri is shown to have wanted, and she'd probably hate the kinds of things she'd have to do (or more realistically, order others to do), to be effective.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
This was a much closer, more personal plot than the previous game, or most games in general have. You really have to care about the characters to give a gently caress because the emphasis on the stakes is more on whether or not Geralt saves his daughter than "Save the world from an ancient evil".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Not really true. If you start that convo by mentioning going to the Emperor instead of heading straight to Velen she will eventually ask for your opinion. If you tell her it's her decision she still asks for your input regardless. In my playthrough Ciri went to see her father entirely by her own free will. Honestly have no clue what you're talking about here. She wants to go straight to Velen because she has no goddamned clue her father has been moving heaven and Earth to find her unless you tell her.

So she actually doesn't make a decision, Geralt makes it for her.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Doesn't stop them from killing Emhyr.

Plus the Elder Blood thing is not widely known at all,even among the upper crust. The Nilfgaardian members of the Lodge had never even heard of it, Francesca Findabair had to fill them in.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If I remember the way it works correctly, to get Ciri Emhyr would have had to be a carrier. He just shows no special abilities because one of the critical genes is sex linked.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
More ending chat: Why would Ciri be remotely popular? She's the half Nordling product of a line known for usurpation and incest advised by an extremely unpopular northern Sorceress known for plotting against monarchs. The only thing going for her is Voorhees' family. And they're gonna want Voorhees to rule, not Ciri. Ciri is just a means to get the throne.

Crappy Jack posted:

I could have sworn it was something that was only carried by the matriarchal line, but the powers themselves skip a generation, so Ciri's mother had it, but couldn't use any of the abilities. Then again, it's been a long time since I read the books.

It can "skip a generation" because multiple genes are required to get the full manifestation of abilities, and one of those is sex linked.

Ciri's mother, Pavetta, did have some special powers, though her own mother Calanthe did not. Ciri's the only one to have everything the Elven breeding program originally wanted, though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think we can all agree at least that Ending Chat: The worst thing about the non-witcher endings is that they aren't sequel bait.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's nothing East of those mountains for like a thousand miles but that ant lion boss from Final Fantasy 4.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It would be a lonely game. All of Letho's friends are dead. :smith:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

She certainly doesn't make a decision NOT to, which is what you were saying.

I'm saying she shows no interest in meeting Emhyr unless Geralt tells her she should.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm really not sure why they would do a sequel with an existing character that isn't Ciri.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah it's pretty much my favorite RPG at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

1stGear posted:

Todd Howard awakens with a start, bathed in sweat.

I will never touch a Bethesda game again.

I don't think I can even replay Morrowind for the 10th time.