Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Geralt has been successfully not killed for almost 100 years and judging by his performance when I'm playing all it takes to kill him is two nekkers and accidentally putting booze instead of potions in the quickslot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm just transitioning out of Velen into Novigrad and everyone is whipping me at Gwent. I'm playing with Sunny Foltest, I managed to beat the bloody baron somehow, so I did get that card. I have two spies, one medic, two decoys, and a variety of combat units, the only ones with any special abilities are two of those blue stripes commandos. I have one of each weather card in my deck, and I'm not sure if they're worth it. Any recommendations for how to improve my deck at this point? The only special Gwent player I beat was the bloody baron, so I do have that chubby 4-strength spy card he gives you.

Edit: I also really have no idea when I should be playing stuff. Should I play my spies in the first round and then throw it? Should I save them to try to bait out enemy decoys first?

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 13, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ojetor posted:

Your only special cards should be Decoys and maybe a Scorch. Take out all weather cards, they're bad. For them to be useful too many conditions need to be true: your opponent needs to have significant power in that row and you need to have less power in that row and they need to not have a Clear Skies in their hand. You could have drawn a card that is always useful instead. The lone exception is Biting Cold vs. monster decks, which pretty much ruins them, but once your deck is good enough you won't need it anyway to beat them.

Definitely play spies early. Even if your opponent decoys them back, that only gives you the opportunity to decoy them right back. Throwing the first round is perfectly fine, but remember that Northern Kingdoms draws a card if they win a round. Sometimes spending one or two cards after the opponent passes to win the round is worth it since you'll get one card back anyway. Also being up a round means your opponent will not pass in the second round, which allows you to force them to play out their hand and then win the third round easily.

As for improving your deck, you can buy the second catapult at the Passiflora in Novigrad, that's probably the most important upgrade you can make right now. Catapults will be your main win condition you until you get decked out in hero cards. In case you missed the first one, it's sold by the White Orchard innkeeper, go back and buy it. Another really good and easily accessible card is Yennefer, which can be won from the Oxenfurt innkeeper. You might need to give it a few tries, as a gwent quest target his deck is fairly strong.

Thank you very much, that's very helpful. I do have the white orchard catapult, but without a second it was only a strong fight card (my strongest, though). I'll kick out the weather cards then. So even commander's horn cards aren't worth the space? They seem really powerful.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Arglebargle III posted:

A 10 point hero is a perfectly fine card to have in your deck. Just wouldn't want to have all of them.

Don't play spies in the first round against decks that run healers that's just terrible advice.

What decks are healer-heavy? Nilfgaard and Scoia'tael?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Where those sweet blue stripes at? I've got three and I already love 'em. Thanks a lot for everyone's suggestions, I played a bunch more Gwent last night and won most of it. I got my first hero card off that Vivaldi banker dwarf guy in Novigrad, bought the second catapult, and am slotting in biting frost only vs. monster decks, sticking with Sunny Foltest for now.

I guess I should probably look for Siri or whatever her name is at some point. It's weird how CD Projekt built this big adventure RPG thing around their card game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

chaosapiant posted:

My favorite part of Kiera is that she's barefoot but walks on the balls of her feet like she's in heels.

That weirded me out. Did they change her model or something after they already did all the animations?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This game has so many neat little touches.

During the Reuven's Treasure quest, when Triss is burning down the witch hunter's outpost, if you cast igni at the building she thanks you for helping :3:.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I bought a lot of green mold off the hobbit herbalist in Novigrad. I think he's the one on the north side of the island with Hattori's shop, in a building just next to the river (but you enter from the south).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it possible to say something about my magical see-the-dead lantern kiera gave me or is Yennefer just bound and determined to be a horrible necromancer here in this sacred garden.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

barge posted:

especially with a game where the characters response was a often lot different in tone than the little dialog selection made me think it'd be.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
She can't even afford pants, how will she keep up with Geralt's high maintenance?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Digirat posted:

There is a ? you have to do if you want all gwent cards.

You can't just say things like this and not say which one it is.

That's just not right.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, is Axii useful in any conversations after you finish the three areas and head out to kaer morhen with Yen? I don't wanna miss out on anything fun, but I also don't want to respec and sink 3 points into it if it won't come up again.

I was doing a signs build so I had that skill the entire game. I didn't find any use for it in the main quest after the point you describe.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't know what a horse goes for, but it can't be as much as the 400,000 dwarven spirit I stole from peasant parcels over the course of the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I was really disappointed when (Radovid sidequest, big spoiler) Dijkstra turned on Roche & Thaler. Not because I thought he wouldn't do it, I just thought he would be smarter about it. Revealing your treacherous plot face-to-face with the guy you're betraying? I thought you were better at spying than this! Just poison our victory wine and we'll never know the difference!.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

It's made up fun slang. Reminds me of the glory days of 'taffer' from Thief.

Someone said it's how they translate a somewhat old-timey word in the original novels. It doesn't quite have the same ring to it in English but yeah it's part of the setting now.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

This is explicitly mythbusted by Geralt in the books, nobody loses emotions during the mutations. Witchers spread the emotionless rumor on purpose though in order to be even more feared by the people so that they gently caress off and also pay up.

I really liked how Geralt specifically uses this in the (novigrad spoiler)conversation with Menge. Because Menge is a super bigot he automatically believes that Geralt is an emotionless money-seeker, so Menge is less likely to suspect treachery when Geralt brings former-lover Triss in for the bounty..

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hobo Clown posted:

Re: face animation chat from a couple pages ago....

My favorite is Triss's annoyed eyeroll when she asks Geralt how Yennefer is and he replies "She's fine". It's subtle but conveys a lot.

Those little animations are so good I actually started making Geralt say the gooniest options just to see people's reactions to them. What a lovable oblivious doofus that guy is.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its a game, and not everyone is going to do multiple playthroughs

Even if you only do one playthrough it's ok to not get the optimal solution to everything.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
People on Youtube don't get Geralt's hair right.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress Roche. I couldn't care about him at all. It's my boy Thaler I can't let him kill.

Thaler's great and all, but he's not the one who dropped everything to help you defend Kaer Morhen.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Crappy Jack posted:

Also for the record, somebody made a mod for the PC version where Geralt can just use Axii to convince his opponent that he just lost at Gwent and should hand over whatever reward they would normally offer.

That's some sort of war crime.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Note for the Gwent-averse: Zoltan has a quest for you in Novigrad to find some rare gwent cards. It does not involve actually playing gwent and it has some great dialogue in it so you should definitely do it. You can also choose to get your reward in the form of cold hard cash if you like.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I never took Ciri to Vizima because it sounded like a long detour at a time when we were literally being hunted by interdimensional armageddon elves. I didn't realize that was my only chance to do so.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just started Hearts of Stone, and it never fails to amaze me how well the writers understand things like Show, don't Tell. If this was an Elder Scrolls game we'd have the entire deal about Olgierd's immortality spelled out to us beforehand. Not here! I had just been in that conversation with the two wild ones about to decapitate their friend, and I had played it pretty aggressive, saying that line about "Tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to ask politely, you're going to answer politely, or else I'm going to get angry and butcher you all like swine." I'm level 34, I killed king of the dang Wild Hunt and was absolutely used to just carving my way through whatever I please.

Twenty seconds later Olgierd comes out, gets stabbed right in the back without giving a poo poo, the disgraced wild one got decapitated, and he and all his wild ones sort of slowly gather around and just look at me. Then satanGaunter comes out of the woodwork and the following conversation was so amazingly tense, because I was used to being the biggest jock in the locker room, and now these two absolutely normal-looking but horrifyingly menacing people are just having the most thinly-veiled conversation right in front of me and in the span of half a minute I go from just not giving a poo poo about these stupid brigands to being in way way over my head and wondering how on earth Geralt is going to get out of this one.

That's as far as I've gotten in the plot so far, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm pretty sure dimeritium bombs prevent fire elementals from activating their flame aura, but it's not like it's hard to just Aard the flames off them, and the dimeritium bombs will also prevent you from using any other signs, so it's still probably a bad idea.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you haven't seen it, you should at least see youtube the conversation where Geralt doesn't kill him, because it's also pretty great and totally in line with Geralt's character.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLSugeCp4Mg Here it is. As always, beware of spoilers in the recommended videos.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sanzuo posted:

Thanks for the tips.

What does the Armor stat do, exactly? Is it more important than resist%? What should I prioritize? Why do all the higher level armors look like jester motley? Can I just wear the best looking armor and not worry about it?

Armor reduces physical damage by means of a mathematical formula that is opaque to me. I largely ignored it for the entire game and was fine. The armor you should be wearing for most of the game is one of the Witcher sets. You can buy maps to get diagrams for Witcher gear from various merchants, and once you have them you can get them crafted from any appropriate armorer / weaponsmith. By and large they're the most powerful and good-looking armor in the game, although for style I also appreciate Redanian Halberdier armor.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i can't stop playing this game every free moment i have, i will play for a long time and be like "i need a break" but as soon as i have another chance to play i want to keep playing. i usually suffer from video game burnout fast but there's just so much here. i haven't even touched battlefield 1 lately which i love. i tried to play it a moment ago but i was like "drat i suck now" and "i want to play more of the witcher"

it's consuming meeeeeeeeee

also i love gwent

This is completely correct.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you get a copy of Geralt's Redania Birdo for the wall?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I really like how Geralt's plan for the botchling is basically "I dunno I heard about this thing one time maybe that will work"

e: like he's just a dude who has heard some stuff and is basically superman and people just pay him to shovel their poo poo, this game owns.

Basically every winter the witchers all get together to talk about all the weird stuff they did that year and they write it all down and memorize the relevant facts from each others' experiences. They live in an insane folk tale world where every monster has its own bonkers rules for how you have to deal with them, and witchers are the only ones who actually learn all this nonsense. There's a reason people hire Geralt, and it's because he's spent sixty years doing nothing but practicing chemistry and memorizing errata about how some other witcher once dealt with an obscure edge case like the physical manifestation of an angry witch-mediated abuse abortion.

Another thing I love about the game is how Geralt is really really good at his job but just completely hopeless at anything else. The Redanian Birdo scene or the Doppler's Salvation are great, especially after tripe like Skyrim where everyone falls over backwards to tell the player how wonderful they are at everything they do.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Does anyone in the game not suck?

I'm like level 13 and just got to Novigrad and I don't think I have come across one character who is not a deplorable rear end in a top hat.
Maybe Ciri and the Bloody Baron's daughter are ok.

I'm pretty ok with that too.

For a limited time only, check out Skellige for your not-deplorable character needs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
As far as leader cards go, once you get a few spies (play the Bloody Baron to get your first one, he's not that hard) Sunny Foltest is definitely capable of beating every opponent in the main game, including the tournament. I also got some good mileage out of Seige Trumpet Foltest, but obviously you need to find a bunch of seige engines for your deck before that one plays out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fuligin posted:

I skipped the Gwent tutorial guy in White Orchard and didn't play my first match until Novigrad (I got my rear end kicked). Is there a difficulty curve alongside area progression (in other words, should I go back to Velen if I want to get into it) or am I just bad right now?

Certainly the former, probably the latter too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you want to get into Gwent and haven't touched it at all, head back to White Orchard real quick - the innkeeper as well as the merchant you saved from the griffon both sell cards that are pretty good.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bicyclops posted:

Weird question, maybe somebody knows the answer to it: are there any quests in Velen you can do that will make other quests unavailable? I'd like to just wander around finding them, but I'm a weirdo completist. It was very easy to do in White Orchard because the only two are basically "Do that quest with the herbalist before you finish the Griffin one" and "One of the Treasure Hunts leads into another one," but there are a million quests in Valen, and I don't want to spoil myself if I can avoid it besides checking on Gwent stuff (which I already did).

No, you're fine. There's only one point of no-return that invalidates quests, and it's way later in the plot, and there's a giant UI pop-up that says HEY SAVE YOUR GAME, IF YOU KEEP GOING MAYBE SOME QUESTS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ANYMORE.

Explore freely and to your heart's content!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Bicyclops posted:

if the bandits stand three in a row

Let me tell you about a little something called Igni.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I would have thought that shooting lightning out of your hands would be the part that garners respect.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I didn't go with Triss, but I can see why someone would. Yen definitely gave me a bad first impression by lying to me and everyone else a lot, stealing stuff from Ermion who seems to be a pretty swell guy, and cursing the temple of Freya with horrible necromancy. It's a heck of an uphill climb from there.

Triss comes across a lot better at first, especially if you don't know how appallingly she lied to and manipulated Geralt back in Witchers 1 and 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm really glad she decided to eat the super revered garden instead of just teleporting herself and the corpse to one of the 50 places of power that Geralt knows about.