Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Does Geralt have a single relationship with a woman that isn't hosed up and toxic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Gwent is gwood

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Triss better. She got freckles.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fuzz posted:

Shani was super naggy and jumped straight into playing house with Geralt and Alvin in Act 4, what are you people on about.

Didn't this play out more or less similarly for Triss? The plot seemed to demand Geralt become a father figure to Alvin and I guess nobody could figure out how to do that convincingly within the five minutes you spend with the kid.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

it: do something to Roche when you are in the dungeon getting interrogated, heheh

I loved this part so much

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Any fix for the issue where merchants either disappear or become inert besides saving and reloading?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fuzz posted:

I can't remember what the Roche QTE was...

If you complete the prompt you attack Roche and knock him to the ground.

Then Ves barges in and straight-up kills you with a crossbow. Time to load a save, idiot.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 5, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah when a millenia old, unimaginably powerful being says 'don't loving ask me any more questions and get to the loving point' you better do what the gently caress he says

I replayed the scene a couple of times to get answers to all the questions

Added: This is really a testament to the writing of this scene and the leadup to it. Everyone who you talk to about this particular guy says "nope nope nope last resort" and "lol yeah I don't want to go anywhere near that guy" and because you're the (at least at that point in the game) nearly invincible monster killer you, the player, are like 'he's probably a chump' and then when you finally get around to this thing that other characters have been warning you about everything they said was true and there isn't even an option to fight back. You just die.

I feel that's rare in video games.

Sorry, what part was this? I've played through the Iorveth path but it's been maybe two years.

e: lol whoops it's blood and wine

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 6, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Punk'd is really hardcore in the world of The Witcher

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

twistedmentat posted:

A super hot redhead with a sexy accent asked Geralt to do something, so he did it.

She's like Ciri's age, Geralt. Don't be gross.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Geralt keeps mentioning that time he killed a Zergul while up to his waist in sewage, he's really weirdly proud of his gross job.

Wanna see that episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hit "alt" and either "a" or "d" to sidestep attacks. Use quen as a security blanket until you get better at avoiding attacks.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 10, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Don't let monsters get behind you because strikes to your back seriously gently caress you up. If you're fighting a group of drowners keep circling them and only give them a few fast attacks at a time.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I only just now got to Kaer Morhen and getting drunk with Lambert and Eskel might be the peak of the Witcher games for me.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I really want to like cluster bombs but holy hell are they frustrating. Anything less than a full investment creates unpredictable blind spots in the blast area, which makes stuff like using moon dust against foglets a bit too unreliable. With a full investment you can cause a lot of chaos but it's impossible to land bombs directly on target and the additional delay introduced with the bomb separation can lead to monsters escaping the blast area.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 14, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The damage falls off sharply but the CC is where it's at. Superior Northern Wind with cluster bombs? loving amazing.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bicyclops posted:

I have a bunch of hugely specific and probably annoying Skellige questions:

1) How do I get to the two points of interest between Rogne and the Ancient Crypt? I can't seem to figure out how the hell to get around the mountains from anywhere to get to them.
2) What the heck is up with the Ancient Crypt anyway? It doesn't seem to open.

You explore that crypt as part of the main story quest The Sunstone. Both points of interest are within the crypt. Even if you miss them during the story quest the area remains open.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 14, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yes but Aard doesn't turn bandits into red mist

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm playing through Hearts of Stone and I'm absolutely tickled that halfway through the main quest the game turns into a heist movie. This game is really loving good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm pretty sure you can save the contacts for after act II if you want. There are some side quests that'll fail for sure but I don't think anything happens to witcher contracts.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The last time I fought a monster that I was really underleveled for I was level 7 and it was a level 20 earth elemental. The fight lasted two in-game days and I crashed to desktop the moment the monster died.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Every time I threw a devil's puffball at one they seemed to bug right out and become completely incapable of fighting

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What happens when the cow gwent card dies?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ferrinus posted:

There's a little village in Velen that somehow no quest seems to actually take you to which is where I found my last card. Unfortunately I cannot remember its name, but it's kind of near the center of the area, to the east of a larger village...?

I think you're talking about Claywich, which is just south of Crow's Perch. The merchant is unfortunately one of those Persons In Distress and I'm not quite sure I remember which one he is.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I don't disagree with Dijkstra, but I guess I never saw an independent North as terrifically important and I just cannot leave Roche and Ves to the dogs like that. They weren't happy about me paling around with Iorveth, nor about inviting Letho to Kaer Morhen, but they stuck with me despite all that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wait why do you hate Charles Dance?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Pellar quest is real cool and has its own music which is great. I recommend you do it despite the level disparity.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Sorry I promise the main quest will ramp right the gently caress up when you actually hit Act II.

Also Skellige is really cool.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also I legit got stuck in a puddle outside of novigrad for 20 minutes.

I know, it's called Velen :v:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Despite the manipulation it's pretty clear that by Witcher 2 that Triss's feelings are genuine.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mzbundifund posted:

Oh well as long as her feelings are genuine I guess all the lies are ok. Hope her feelings don't change later!

I didn't say that nor do I believe it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Geralt's nearly 100, according to Vesemir when they first arrive at the inn in White Orchard.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, I must have forgotten about that. Do witchers live really long because of the mutagens and sorceresses because of magic or is this one of those typical high fantasy things where everybody lives like 300 years?

Both witchers and mages live much longer than normal people due to all the magical conditioning they get as children. Normal humans don't have especially long lifespans. I'm pretty sure dwarves and elves are longer-lived though?

Shani brings up the difference in lifespan when she talks to Geralt about why they won't work out.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 18, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Is there a way to tone the gold filter in Touissant down? It gets rather intense during the day!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm really glad they managed to work a decent moral dilemma involving a monster you couldn't actually communicate with. Killing dopplers or succubi was generally just stupid and evil, but I could really go either way on the leshen.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The game warns you multiple times with big obvious pop-ups when you're about to Do The Thing That Might Break Your Sidequests and you should feel free to skip around and change the scenery if it's dragging on for you.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Triss's default clothes are good :colbert:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Please don't insult our Yen Friends

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Yen is a really great, good sorceress according to many reports. Triss is a talentless loser. Sad!

@realRadovidV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

bef posted:

I'm curious what do people not like about gwent? I think the starting decks and cards can be pretty inhibiting in playstyle but once you collect enough+ heroes you start to have a lot of options on how you want to play. I really like Northern Faction for the Foltest's commander horn and its +1 card perk for winning a round...Get a hand with 1 or 2 spies, a decoy, 1-2 healers, and catapults that x2 their damage and it turns preeety zany to see how you can choke the other player out

I feel like it could be an interesting game with a human opponent, I'd love to look a man in the eyes and goad him into overcommitting to a round. As Gwent exists in Witcher 3, Northern Realms is kind of broken in my opinion. It's got the strongest card draw of any faction which turns out is really good in a game where you need to make ten cards last across three rounds. I pretty effortlessly made a Northern Realms deck that beat the everliving snot out of any deck that wasn't a siege-focused Northern Realms deck. I could have probably retooled it a bit to mop that one up, but instead I just threw together a siegebreaker Nilfgaard deck.

To be honest I never gave Monster or Scoia'tael a proper shot but given how many options exist to gently caress with melee cards I don't think they'd be great.