Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now that he can grow a full beard we just need a trenchcoat and brandy mod so we can really embrace this 1950's noir detective thing.

Don't forget a ridiculous hat, he'd by 'detective code' be required to wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Raymond Chandler, an influential pulp detective novelist's main protagonist was called Phillip Marlowe

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I just feel like Geralt ending up back together with Yen is too neat. It's missing out on a bit of the web of hosed-upness that Phillipa describes to you.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Is there any lore reason Ciri has a Cat school medallion in her ui?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Swedish Horror posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to win races with bridges in them? Roach just comes to a complete stop at them, letting the opponent shoot past and win.

Furiously mash jump before and while going over the bridge to get Roach over his fears and then start galloping again. I guess he just doesn't recognise bridges and his cliff detection is overzealous.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Are they CTDs, or is it just hanging completely? I had the latter and fixed it by changing power management to 'prefer maximum performance' in the Nvidia control panel.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

necrobobsledder posted:

The thing that's different about this game from the previous Witcher games is that the facial expressions in this one are far, far more expressive than before. I could live with making some stiff looking peasant #32 clone suffer. But almost all the NPCs are practically unique amongst each other and you might actually even remember some unique faces. I don't really find myself going "Oh, I've seen that face before" and being surprised it's not greyed out conversations.

Edit: lol at correcting witcher to pitcher

You must have terrible facial recognition then. I'd say there are about 10 faces for each gender that are used for generic NPCs, changing up facial and head hair to disguise it a bit. The hunter in White Orchard's used constantly.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The party was also mentioned back in Witcher 2. It was where Geralt, Letho and his mates killed a bunch of the Wild Hunt, found out they weren't wraiths but space elves and where Geralt joined them to save Yen.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

GrossMurpel posted:

I think that one was about the worst-written quest in the entire game.

Cerys tells Geralt she has an idea, then comes back and tells him to throw the baby. So why did Geralt feel real guilt if that was obviously just a ruse and he knew he didn't burn the baby?

Agreed. It would have worked a lot better if either Cerys had figured out what monster it was and made the plan entirely on her own, or if Geralt figured it out and made Cerys throw the baby in the fire.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 14, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Have you examined the cave with witcher senses? Pretty sure there's a hole you have to find a way into that gives you a key for the building in that garden.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Fair enough, but you'd just need to go into that building and find his diary to continue if you want.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

quote:

Name one character trait for Amren. "Lost a sword" is not a character trait.

Family man, though to be fair it's not done well and he just yells at you over and over again about how much he loves his wife and daughter.

E: I do think it's a slightly off comparison though. They serve different purposes. The generic peasants in W3 are used very well as tools for world-building rather than attempts at poorly fleshed out characters.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 5, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The Sharmat posted:

Of course there's no way to directly translate that into English.

(ending spoilers) "I ain't never want to see y'all- your face around here again. You hear?" :clint:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah that's far better.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

the truth posted:

Somehow I had Triss' turned on somehow before I even met her. Then I went traipsing around the city with her and she just kept whining about having to be discreet to avoid being caught and I was like, "Well that loving dress isn't helping."

Wasn't until I saw a random screenshot that I realized I must have had her alt costume turned on. Oops.

It's certainly less likely people will recognise her face.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
From the GameSpot review:

quote:

While many women in The Witcher 3 play minor roles, often supplemental to men, Shani is a vivid character in her own.

I don't get this criticism/backhanded compliment at all. Especially when applied to the Witcher 3 specifically. I suppose there's always room for improvement, but which women were really only there to build up male characters?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Pellisworth posted:

Don't most/all of the prostitutes have dialogue beyond "let's gently caress," too? Like some will tell you about how poo poo their life is and wish they didn't have to hook, some will get pissed at you if they feel you're being judgmental, etc.

I can honestly say, I don't know. Do they?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

JetsGuy posted:

Priscilla is an awesome character, though I do remember thinking "who the gently caress is this" during that song too, so...
On my first playthrough I still had a gtx 660, and there were literally 5 second pauses between each of her lines. I thought it was supposed to be a joke, because it sounded exactly like someone trying to learn how to play guitar.

Speaking of weird audio issues, does anyone else have really bad audio distortion when time slows down when attacking on horseback? Or really any time there's a frame dip?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Baronjutter posted:

Wow the troll's actually a much better artist. I figured if his "gentle" touch killed everyone around him he didn't have the finesse to draw.

I think you'll find that birdo is actually ugooly. :colbert:

e: Also pretty sure there's an area that the American accent is from and it's not just really bad miscasting, but I couldn't tell you where, or if that was just someone else's explanation for horrible miscasting.

e2: And Nilfgaardian is supposed to sound Dutch. Though Nilfgaard's huge and has a bunch of different cultures, so you might see a range of accents, some which don't sound Dutch at all. I guess? :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 11, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I think Yen's the best, but Vesemir's not wrong, she could stand to have better manners at least with people who are actively trying to help her find and protect her daughter.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Sheep posted:

For some inexplicable reason, with the latest patch I'm crashing on basically every area change. I just started a new game and it crashed when switching from Mordhen to White Orchard, then White Orchard to the Inn. It's repeatable too. Is there a fix for this?

Are you using GOG galaxy? Someone mentioned earlier that the in-game overlay is causing crashes, might help to turn that off.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yrden is the best sign, especially it's alt-use. It's almost always useful.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

RBA Starblade posted:

Playing with a controller it's a pain in the rear end having to bring up the radial menu every time I want to switch powers, which is repeatedly every fight.

I don't use a controller, so I don't know if it's any easier, but I'm pretty sure parrying and using the d-pad switches signs like you would with a scroll wheel.

e:Or maybe it was the shoulder buttons?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Baronjutter posted:

How come the wild hunt are just normal elfs but when their face masks are on they sound like monsters?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 19, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
He also can't do anything against axii.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

havenwaters posted:

Both sounds right.

DLC that Olgierd fight while the house burns was hard as gently caress. Having to do the fight a second time because it crashed on the cutscene immediately after the fight sucked though. Wish I knew why the game suddenly likes to crash during cutscenes randomly but it doesn't happen often enough at least.

I've been having the same crashes actually, no idea how to fix it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Is there any way to know what enemies are susceptible to yrden?

Is it an enemy?
Use Yrden.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

So am I just imagining things? I went the entire game using yrden and it only slowed things a bit but in HoS it regularly paralyzed some enemies into not taking any action at all.

Are you thinking specifically of the frog prince? Because that's essentially his boss gimmick.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Robo Reagan posted:

Should I be dismantling stuff I don't need or selling it? 2 gold for a fancy sword seems like a rip.

Dismantle it if it gives you 'dark iron', dimeritium, silver or meteorite ingots. Otherwise just sell the stuff.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
About half way through the main quest if you've done the zones in the suggested order?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Nanomashoes posted:

No he's like 2/3ds done IIRC.

The Morkvarg stuff is pretty early on in Skellige isn't it? I was kind of assuming he hadn't done the King/Queen making stuff. Either way, there's still a lot of great stuff ahead of you, especially if you have the DLC.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

ThomasPaine posted:

I really like Gwent. So there.

I do wish it didn't become so obscenely easy once you get a decent deck though. I quite liked the quest where you do the high stakes tournament because it at least felt challenging for once. Though I did that fairly early so even that could probably be walked with an endgame deck.

There's a gameplay option for Gwent difficulty now. Haven't actually used it, but it's there.

Robo Reagan posted:

I beat the tutorial Gwent guy then got loving rolled by some random dude sitting in the palace and now I'm too scared to play Gwent

I think quite a few people have said they had trouble with that guy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Doesn't igni work on the paintings? I didn't even think of hitting them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I'm fairly certain any quests that are cancelled will show up in your failed list even if you hadn't accepted them yet, so don't worry.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Safety Factor posted:

There is if (BEST ENDING SPOILERS DO NOT READ VERY SAD)

:colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
More graceful when he faceplants into the boat that's below the bridge.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Safety Factor posted:

You're wrong. :colbert: What kind of monster gets that ending?

If it wasn't behind having to be a bad dad everyone should, it's a great ending for Geralt's story.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Safety Factor posted:

That may be, but it would involve being such a bad dad that I'll never get that ending. In my game Ciri became empress of Nilfgaard and the epilogue involved one last hunt with Geralt. It felt fitting and was still somewhat bittersweet.

Might want to spoiler what changes the endings there, a few people have just mentioned they've just picked up the game.

e:^^^ I don't know, I wouldn't have wanted to know that. Not a big deal.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 23, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yea lol I should git gud so I can get to Kaher Morhen before the main quest allows me.

Oh wait I can't. The content is literally gated by the main story.

It's you, you're the dumb one.

This makes no sense. If that were the case, why have any DLC at all? Might gently caress with people's saves (lol what?) Never mind the new haircuts and beard styles, multiple new witcher contract DLCs, gwent cards, HORSE ARMOR, etc. All of that was in Velen and it worked fine. If people had already beaten the game then why not just put the Wolf school stuff in Velen/Skellige like everything else? That way anyone staring over in NG or NG+ doesn't have to wait until 2/3 of the game is over to get the armor they want. It's a stupid decision and it forces people to re-use the Griffin/Bear/Cat stuff until near end game.

I'm a wolf school witcher. Not a bear or a cat, so what the hell? And then the Viper school gear is a slicker looking version of the Kaher Morhen starting armor you start with at the beginning of the game.

CDPR is pretty lazy and is rushing this DLC out so they can dust their hands off and say 'yep we promised 2 DLCs and we delivered ok get hyped about CYBERPUNK.'

I know right? Pointing out stupid stuff in video games is such an overreaction.

Actually putting the Wolf Armour in Kaer Morhen was a really good idea. I didn't bother exploring any of that map the first time around, it really helps you find a reason to go and explore it and see all the neat stories they put into the area. The upgraded sets of wolf armour are actually placed across Velen and Skellige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

I think there's a pretty good case that using data obtained from unethical human research is fairly unethical in itself. Wouldn't say she's evil though.