Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So even on Death March, by the end of the game are you just drowning in healing food and drink if you are even just a little competent at the fighting in this game?

I'm actually "running low" because I've stopped looting everything in sight. Holy poo poo I need to get rid of some of that beer.

And in Kaer Morhen the stuff they are drinking is "half spirits half white gull" and I think White Gull is the Witcher equivalent of Everclear.

e. I pretty much use Water + Swallow to heal 90% of the time. Throw in some food items if I need to. Also White Rafford. I have over 150 of just alcohest (or dwarven spirit, forget which--probably both).

Archimago fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Nakar posted:

The Alchemy UI describes White Gull as a "mild hallucinogenic."

Well then. Never let it be said that Witchers don't know how to party.

Blue Raider posted:

you think universals exist as real and distinct constructs?

Mhmm. Me too.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

:lol:

Are these names I should recognize or are you just posting Twittersperg from randoms?

e. That dude clearly wasn't playing on Death March if he never felt emasculated while playing. :smith:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Broose posted:

Since we are talking about health regen: Has anyone come across a definitive best food for hp regen? So far the best stuff I've noticed was Roasted Pork. It last like 10 seconds but it has an insane regen rate like a 5 second food. It seems to be super rare though. I've only picked up like 3 to 5 pieces in like 60 hours of play.

Also, in case someone doesn't know: you can have one liquid and one solid food stuff active at the same time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36xtzc/food_and_drink_vitality_measurements/

It doesn't have all of them but it's better than nothing. I think "real food" like roasted pork and such tend to be the best. I use water + food items + swallow to regen.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Lawnie posted:

I'm sure this has been brought up already but our resident goon developer certainly inserted that line of dialogue in the pellar goat quest, right?

I was actually wondering that too. I forget exactly what he says but it's something to the effect of "hurts something awful" or whatever. I mean, that is an actual phrase, but not really a very common one and I haven't heard any other NPC use it.

turtlecrunch posted:

Someone post that gif of Geralt finally consenting to a teleport, walking through and coming out hundreds of feet over a ravine and falling to his death. :allears:

Actually, he doesn't consent to a teleport. That happens if you piss off Yen in Kaer Morhen talking about Triss and she just sends you packing without warning. Although he doesn't fall to his death in that case, he pops out over the lake, so maybe you're talking about something else.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Speaking of patches:

:frogsiren: "Geralt will no longer interact with candles near chests and other interactive elements." :frogsiren:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Darth Windu posted:

Can you cut your hair? Getting tired of this ned stark look but I want to keep the beard.

Si, go to a barber. There's one or two in Novigrad and one in Oxenfurt. Maybe others?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

I have a Witcher 2 question but the thread is closed, so I suppose I should ask it here:

The skill tree looks full of fun stuff, but apparently the level cap only lets you unlock ~1/3rd of it; even with two playthroughs (Roche / Iorveth) I'd still miss a good deal of it. That bothers me a little; I liked how in the first game you could unlock a comfortable majority of the talents by the end of the game.

Would it be a terrible idea to grab a mod that gives you two talent points per level (there isn't a level cap mod, sadly), and then play in a higher difficulty (Hard or Dark mode without Dark items) to compensate?

You will be hilariously overpowered halfway through the game if you do 2 points per level.

A somewhat more balanced option would be to get the mod that gives you all of the basic skills so you don't have to put any points in the training tree. Click Here for Said Mod.

IIRC, you have to start a new game for it to work.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Psiharis posted:

No. Not even in cutscenes. Never. LA Noire got so much hype but so many of those expressions ended up looking canned and unrealistic, like I'd recognize on an abstract level that the game was throwing me the animation for 'shifty eyes' but I didn't buy it on an emotional level like in TW3. I hope this is the start of a spectacular trend and not a miraculous one-off.

You've nailed it--that's a great way of putting it. Previous games have done well enough that you get the idea of "oh he's being sarcastic" or "oh he's being coy" or whatever, but you don't buy into it on an emotional level. Witcher 3 just loving nails it and makes your brain pretty much think you're watching real people interact.

Real people made of polygons.

In a screen.

But still.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

my new dog posted:

i just want everyone to be happy and alive

I have some bad news for you regarding the tendency for people to remain happy and alive in The Witcher universe.

They don't.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

New Nvidia driver that's supposed to fix the issue with Kepler Series cards (600, 700, and some 800M) is out:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85823/en-us

e. Remember to do a "clean installation" to be on the safe side of things.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 1, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Airfoil posted:

What issue are we talking about?

General substandard performance in Witcher 3 / other games.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Meditating doesn't heal on higher difficulties, but it does on normal and below (or whatever normal is called). If you're at the point where you're worried your game might be hosed, drop the difficulty down, meditate to heal back to full, then ratchet it back up.

But...but...think of the cheevos.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

OSheaman posted:

If I don't want to play Gwent, will I lose out on valuable items/quests/story/etc.? Is this like a Triple Triad scenario or is it completely a side thing? It doesn't seem like very much fun to me and I'd rather not lose dozens of hours on it if I don't have to.

You will miss out on Gwent cards if you don't play Gwent. Also the funny faces NPCs make when you ask them if they want to play.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Memento posted:

Yeah I was so stoked to get to level 14 and use the cat gear so I could be an awesome ninja assassinwife-beating greaser.

When you upgrade it the chestpiece turns into a tactical turtleneck. :parrot:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Eonwe posted:

god drat eye for an eye quest has been bugged and now im at the point where i need to do it really to progress

Supposedly that's being fixed in the upcoming patch.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Gilganixon posted:

My wife was asking me what I was doing in the game and I when I went to explain why I was spamming Yrden everywhere I realised I don't know how to say Yrden. How is it pronounced?

It's like Ear-Den, but the beginning E sound has a bit of a Y-sound inflection. That's how I always figured it was pronounced anyway, but I guess I can see "Yur-Den" making sense as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Voyager I posted:

The racing segments really do a great job of emphasizing just how loving janky your out-of combat movement is.

Maybe the enhanced edition will have a triathalon with an underwater segment to nail the trifecta of awful controls.

:stonk:

They should ditch all that and implement snowboarding races.