Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Finally upgraded my video card and can now run this thing maxed out on my 5+ year old rig. Started last night, imported my Roche save (long live the tatt) where Henselt is dead, I'm assuming that will have a lot of bearing on the story.

I'm using a DS4 via DS4Windows and it works perfectly except for a couple issues that are only with this game:

- D-Pad always toggles by two steps in every direction, not one.

- The X (Xbox A button) confirmation on a lot of things (board postings, gwent cards) also double clicks and often selects multiple things (whenever I toggle signs/bombs in the quick menu Geralt always rolls on exit, which can be problematic).

- Holding Circle (B equivalent) while on horseback doesn't seem to want to let me dismount, I have to hit E on the keyboard.

I'm unsure of what settings I'd have to gently caress with in DS4Win to fix all of these, but I'm also thinking maybe it's a framerate issue... I have max FPS set to 60 and everything on ultra but I'm still swinging 90+ fps and getting lots of tearing on my trusty old 60Hz monitor (yes, I know. That's the next step) to the point where I actually had to turn on V-Sync because Adaptive wasn't cutting it, but with V-Sync on it's still having the issues which leads me to believe it's a polling rate issue or something with the controller emulation.

Anyone have experience with this and have a suggestion? And no, going out and buying a bone/360 controller isn't an ideal suggestion since I hate both controllers and already have a 360 pad that I'm specifically not using (because it's terrible).

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Well, yeah, since ds4windows works by copying all the ds4 inputs to emulated xbox360 inputs, so the computer and as a result the game sees two inputs for every button press. Search for ds4windows double button press, or turn off ds4windows. There must be something special with how this game sees your* ds4 inputs, or your settings got changed.

e: added a word. For me, it works either way. ds4windows on its 360 controller buttons, without is just ps4

Didn't even know the game had built in DS4 support, had never seen that before. Turned off DS4Win last night after reading about it on the Steam forums and everything works perfectly, good call!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Are there any good must have mods, anyway? I've been playing around with ReShade a little but my rig is just barely able to maintain a consistent 60fps with everything on, so I'm pretty lined in what I can do.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

They better have a model of car called the R-04CH or something.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

bewilderment posted:

I played this game on PS4 and beat Velen and the majority of the big sidequests before heading to Novigrad, before stopping because the long console load times and accidentally taking a sidequest way tougher than I anticipated got to me.

So now I'm back to it after almost finishing FFXV, and wow, assuming both games had a roughly equal development time (time between W2:EE and W3 is 3 years, FFXV was only ever properly in development for about three years), wow what an endearing yet clusterfuck of a game that way, and I'm excited to get back into it with the GOTY edition... and a proper PC.

I'm planning on using it with a Steam controller - can anyone comment on whether there's a good setup beyond the recommend one? And additionally, anything I should know in general coming back into the game? Like, I didn't know until Novigrad that I could use my crossbow in the water, and I also feel like I was missing a bunch of Witcher School gear or accidentally sold poo poo that I was meant to keep. At least I beat the tutorial this time around having crafted both the Viper school swords.

Just use your PS4 controller, why the gently caress would you bother with the steam one?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm playing through for the first time on the second hardest difficulty. Went for Temerian Armor and only just had the funds to upgrade to the Nilfgaard set (which was Waaay cheaper) at level 11. Just finished that Keira quest line and all the Fyke Isle stuff and loving it. Apparently I hosed up by getting the Moonblade early on? Kinda disappointing that you can even do that without some warning, but I'm still mostly wrecking faces.

Really tempted to get that respec potion (which I can't remember who was selling it) because I wasted points in the arrow deflect skill and strong attack (which I rarely use), plus that passive that raises damage on attacks and signs with max adrenaline (doesn't seem to make very much difference at all).

I'm going for a hybrid sword and signs fast attacking dodge build and it's working well so far... maxed fast attack and the Axii 1 and Igni 1 signs, though I wish I had the points to boost up Aard because it's a lot of fun, but Axii uses less stamina and how could I NOT want the Jedi Mind Trick in conversations option?

I just got Active Quen (skipped the knockback but now reconsidering... I wanted to avoid relying on Quen a lot out of principle) and holy poo poo it rocks my world and has essentially replaced parrying because why bother when I can stop them AND heal some health while popping it up quickly? The low stamina cost is amazing. I'm very glad I recently played through Witcher 2 again with the CDPR made combat balance mod because it was a great intro into the methodology of this game.

The only mods I'm running are colored map markers and automatic oil application because pulling up the inventory every drat time got extremely tiresome.

Worth respeccing out of the passive and the arrow blocking now to get a few extra points early on? I'm thinking I'll aim for the reduced adrenaline loss on hit instead to fill out that tier and unlock level 2, with the goal of that bottom right skill that boosts signs with adrenaline. Only passive will be the medium armor one, I think, for the stamina regen. I figure I may as well do it now while it will help rather than later when I'll probably have points to spare and incremental boosts won't have as much impact (plus I'll have more slots for mutagens and active skills)?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Um, excuse me, the best armor is the one you have to unlock for use using outside files.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2144/

Perfect for the elven hair and soul patch.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That middle hair with the armor I linked. :stare:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I caved and installed the no fall damage mod because holy poo poo is it scaled overly sensitively.

A fun by product is that I can run around like Batman in Novigrad. 10/10 would install again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

Also learned of Nvidia Ansel.. when I finished the game.. and I absolutely loved taking pictures throughout the game..

What is this Ansel of which you speak?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/ansel

Have you ever played Shadow of Mordor on PC? That game had something similar, where you could press a button and the game would "freeze frame" and then you could take a picture however you want, putting you in the role of some kind of noclip ghost cameraman. Nvidia Ansel is similar to that, but goes further as you can force the pictures to be rendered on a higher resolution. For example that picture is 3840x2160, while I played on 1980x1280, so the picture looks even better than my game.

It's a really cool feature and it's on like, 4(?) games and one of them is The Witcher 3 (which I just learned about). If you have a supported Nvidia card, and have the GeForce Experience running and have Shadowplay and all that stuff just try pressing ALT + F2 while in-game.

Holy poo poo, gonna have to try this out. Been playing around with that weather mod and I had this INSANELY cool view from that place of power above the Griffin Armor cave, looking south toward the bog with all this mist slowly settling in from the east... Hope I can reproduce it, because I came out of that cave and had to stop short to just marvel at it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I had to cave and install the No Scaled Loot mod because it was really annoying and frustrating me to find out that I "hosed up" and picked up a weapon too early because it could scale to a much better level later. This way I don't have to care, because honestly I don't mind picking up a sword I can't actually use for another 20 levels, that just means I have something to work towards and can toss it in my vault until then.

I loving hate when devs put scaled loot in that doesn't level up with you or can't reach its full potential if you get it at the wrong time. If I had any major criticism of this game, it's that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Commie NedFlanders posted:

turned off the HUD for a more immersive experience

excellent choice. the world seems so much richer, more alive, and more deadly

There's a Friendly UI mod that's pretty great specifically for this reason.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

The only video game soundtrack AND non-rap I have saved on Spotify..

Get the other two games, as well. Witcher 1's soundtrack is beautiful.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That said, you're seriously missing out if you don't play the first two, or at least the second one. Witcher 2 is a REALLY loving good game, especially with the Combat Rebalance mod that CDPR put out themselves to basically make the combat work very similarly to how it does in Witcher 3.

Witcher 1 is very much a game of its time in terms of engine limitations because it was on a really crazily modified NWN1 engine. It's a lot more RPG-y in that sense and the combat is more about the dice and using the correct fighting stance/oils/potions to get the job done. In some ways it's actually great, simply because a lot of the fights were punishingly hard but if you actually did the research on what you were hunting and then prepared well for the fight (aka what being a Witcher is all about) you could just smash monsters' faces in. Very different feel compared to 2 and 3 where you can basically just put points in Quen and then roll a lot and you can beat basically any fight in the game.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 25, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It's kinda bullshit that killing or sparing Henselt and the final choice from 2 had almost no effect on the actual story... I figured at the last the status of Foltest's bastard daughter would factor in. I also was hoping to see Iorveth referred to in some capacity but oh well.

Finding the note from Alvin was pretty great, however. Having Roche say he didn't trust me when I I'm using my total brofest Witcher 2 save... not so great. :qq:

(NOTE: still in my first playthrough... Currently doing the play shenanigans)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Neither has much bearing on 3, but 2 makes a helluva lot more sense.

I wouldn't say that. The entire backdrop of 3 is laid by the last act of 2, particularly Radovid and the vibe of Nilfgard. Without that backdrop, I'd probably make very different decisions in 3 about who to dude with and whatnot without knowing the history.

One thing they really dropped the ball on was not bringing in more book backstory in 1 and 2, because they drop a SHITLOAD of it in 3. Geralt's entire relationship with Yennefer (and how hosed up and toxic it is) and his relationship with Ciri are basically total mysteries coming into 3 if you know nothing of the books and only the 2 previous games, even moreso if this is your first Witcher game. Dijkstra and Keira, as well as Lambert and Eskel, are likewise mostly new ground in the games (the Witchers had almost zero narrative in 1 and didn't show up at all in 2) and heavily lean on past poo poo from the books. Philipa at least has context if you played the Iorveth path in 2 and thus know how much of a lovely bitch she is.

Triss has the most development by far over the course of the game series, which is why I don't get all the knocking on her as a possible romance option in 3 but I'm not that far into the story yet so I imagine something will happen to :yikes: her. Then again if you read the books the Triss from the video games seems downright nice and lovable by comparison.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Man, I really do wish they were planning on another Witcher game, or at least some more DLCs. There's a bunch of countries up north that haven't been explored so far.

gently caress that, I wanna go to Zerrikania and kill weird as gently caress monsters!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Digirat posted:

This is still a possibility. CD projekt has said that witcher 3 is the end of geralt's story, but they haven't said there will be no more witcher from them in the future

Clearly the next game will be about Ciri.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You know what would make this game better? More people to play Gwent with.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Loose Ifer posted:

Picked this up on sale over the weekend for PC. Is the map kinda like skyrim where i can just wander around doing whatever for whoever i want and run into a bunch of fun little stories?

Yes, though it's broken into 5 separate regions you can fast travel between, 4 if you didn't get the second DLC. The map shows you more locations than that, but Velen and Novigrad are one huge continuous area that actually also hits a part of Vizima, but for inexplicable reasons the Vizima travel point on the map is specifically to the palace, which you cannot travel to from the main map of Velen.

I highly recommend installing the colored map markers and the Friendly UI that turns off the minimap and other poo poo unless you're in combat or using your Witcher senses. Let's you appreciate the world more and also gives more of a sensation of exploration and wandering around, otherwise it ends up feeling more like RDR with swords.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 28, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

Hmm, it depends if you want the PURE WITCHER 3 experience but some quality of life mods I had and still made Witcher 3 the best game I've ever played. Mind you I don't have exact links but all of these are on the Nexus.:

- Auto Apply Oils
- Better Trophies (just makes trophies a little better, giving a better buff, I don't even recall what base trophies do now)
- Better Icons (makes it so oil icons and poo poo have their names on it)
- HDReworked
- Map Quest Objective (shows you all of you current Main Quest, Secondary Quest, Treasure Hunts and Witcher Contract objectives from your quest log on your map so you can knock out quests that are close-by)
- Big Titty Breasted HD Naked Ciri
- Geralt Hairworks (everything Nvidia Hairworks??)
- Increased LOD
- No Witcher Sense (get the one that makes it so Witcher Sense doesn't do the "zoom in" thing, makes it much more friendly to use)
- No Dirty Lens/No Glare Effect
- "Nitpickers patch" or whatever it's called.

This one could be considered cheating (due to horse races), but honestly it was mostly due to the fact I wanted to use Roach over fast travelling:

- Infinite Roach Stamina

:stare:

Most of these are good, excluding the obvious. I'd say skip the Witcher sense thing and get Friendly UI instead. The Hairworks mod actually disables it for Geralt but no one else because some people lose their poo poo because his hair is blowing in the wind indoors sometimes.

I'd also skip the all map objectives thing since it literally removes all exploration and discovery from the game and literally is the worst thing you could install on a first play through.

I also grabbed the more accurate Witcher mod but only installed the shiny eyes because the dude hosed up the skin textures and they don't apply rain shaders properly and he removed a bunch of scars for some dumb reason.

Edit: And don't install remove level restrictions what the gently caress you people have terrible advice for a first playthrough. Being able to use a 400 damage sword at level 10 literally breaks the game, and yes there are a few that don't scale and are always crazy strong.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

I installed a mod called "AMM" (I forget the full name) that lets you set Geralt's armour/weapons appearance (while having the stats of whatever you're wearing) to be able to play dress-up with my favourite Witcher in my next playthrough.. 😍

This is the correct solution.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

2house2fly posted:

It's Lore that sorceresses can customise their appearance however they want, which is why they all look like sexy bimbos. I don't really get why Philippa has to make do without her eyes to be honest.

Because they were physically gouged out.

Sorceresses can't change their physical appearance willy nilly, they have to go through a painful transformation that can be fatal but they all do it because most them are deformed from birth. Yennefer had a hunchback and Triss had a club foot. It's presumed that neither was particularly well endowed or beautiful, either, but when you're gonna rebuild a car you generally don't intentionally leave the hood and driver's side door unpainted if you can avoid it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I thought he was talking about the leshen on Skellige. If that's the case, I had them banish the girl, killed it, but then didn't get involved when they murdered the elders, but that's because I'm trying to play as true to book Geralt as possible for this first playthrough.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So (Lambert... what did you all do with Karedin? I felt like his remorse was all a farce and he was still a dirtbag, even if he refused to go into slaving with Hammond, according to the letter. Something about him just didn't sit right with me, though I was not a fan of how bloodthirsty and single-mindedly vengeful Lambert was, but I figure Geralt's comrade who he's known for years was a more reliable voucher for the dead witcher's character than the guy that ostensibly killed him.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The flaw I've found with Gwent is that I'm at basically the same spot as the guy who posted a few posts up is, and I have a killer Northern Realms deck with a solid style and methodology to winning with it on my end. The AI doesn't change its strategies or methods at all as the game seems to progress, and I have very little to no need to actually use any of the other decks, I'm just collecting them for the sake of collecting them. I've tried to challenge myself using some of the other decks I've started to fill out, and they for sure have differing styles, but your deck is so heavily lopsided to Northern Realms early on that basically everyone always uses that deck for over the half the game.

They should have made cards for the other decks more plentiful or at least started you out with enough to make a minimal deck of each type. Alternatively when they introduced Gwent at the start and you're about to get your first deck they could have had like a Q&A bit that determines which starter deck you get from the start, and then the merchants all sorta sell a card or two from each deck.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

I bought this game a while back because of the PYF little things in games thread and could never get into it much. I kept hearing so many good things about it that I said gently caress it and tried again and I'm glad that I did.

I'm finally getting to Skellige after telling Triss to piss off. The sex on a stuffed unicorn scene was pretty :stonk: but I had a good laugh at the dialogue. Otherwise I'm loving the hell out of the game.

I'm up to the point where (I know this is an older game but I also know that there are other people in this thread that are playing through and are near or at the same point I am so not spoiling anyway) I have to go save the Craig on Crack guy's son from the Ice Giant and will soon go to do the same with the daughter and her quest. It really seems like they're setting it up for me to make the decision on who will be crowned king/queen. Especially because everyone seems to want to give me their opinion on how they think either would be as a ruler. Am I guessing right?

Yes.

Also depending on which you do first, it will change the dialogue in one of them, assuming you do the bonus part of it and rescue an NPC. Trying to keep it vague since I literally finished that whole storyline last night (and it was rad as hell).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

I didn't go with Triss, but I can see why someone would. Yen definitely gave me a bad first impression by lying to me and everyone else a lot, stealing stuff from Ermion who seems to be a pretty swell guy, and cursing the temple of Freya with horrible necromancy. It's a heck of an uphill climb from there.

Triss comes across a lot better at first, especially if you don't know how appallingly she lied to and manipulated Geralt back in Witchers 1 and 2.

Eh, she doesn't use him in 2 much at all, though she comes across very poorly in 1 compared to Shani. In 1 she's basically the Yennefer while Shani plays her role in 2 and 3. In 2 her only great sin is one of omission, namely continuing to keep Geralt in the dark about Yennefer and the Lodge because her loyalties are torn and she's totally fallen in love with him.

Triss is way more selfless than Yennefer and actually outwardly admires and respects Geralt. Her insecurity and failings are mainly in herself and others' perception of her. Whether or not she will be seen as a good person or is actually doing the morally "right" thing while still doing what's "best" for the Northern Realms and/or mages (with these two often at odds, causing her conflict) is essentially her main preoccupation and character arc. In 1 she's pro-Mage at all costs, in 2 she begins to be torn on her loyalty to the Lodge/Philippa/Yen and her love for Geralt. In 3 she's basically accepted that the Lodge was dumb as gently caress and caused its own problems, and that despite her best efforts Geralt still dropped everything to pursue Yen like a lost puppy even though she treats him mostly like garbage.

Yen, on the hand, is also extremely insecure and secretly does care what everyone thinks of her, but she puts on this air of rude indifference and refuses to let people in, including those who genuinely have her best interest in mind, namely Geralt. She's ultimately extremely selfish and always has been, and she rarely learns from her mistakes and chooses to blame others or circumstance instead of taking responsibility for the lovely things she does and says.

Really, Triss in 1 is closer to the books, but it's clear they wanted to show some actual opposites and adjusted Triss heavily over the three games to provide more of a counterpoint to Yen. What instead happens is that Trias grows a lot over the course of the three games while Yen basically doesn't. Really it says the most about Yen's character when it's made clear that she knew Geralt was alive and made zero effort to find him for the last two games.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 3, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Digirat posted:

Except for the part where she does literally the opposite of what you're describing on skellige and personally shoulders the blame when the priestesses are pissed about the whole necromancy thing

Not reading that because I've not gotten that far yet, but good to hear. I only got vague mentions of Yen's story arc from a friend.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shani was super naggy and jumped straight into playing house with Geralt and Alvin in Act 4, what are you people on about.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've held off on finishing Blood and Wine because no more Witcher. However, I haven't played 1 or 2, and I picked up 2 on steam recently for like 3 bucks. Is 2 pretty good, if you like Witchery stuff? I'm going to finish B&W this weekend, be nice to know I have more stuff to look forward to. I don't even care if the game is clunkier or whatever. I actually started watching the lovely Witcher show on youtube and enjoyed it just because it's The Witcher.

Get the Combat Rebalance Mod that CDPR made a couple years after it was released... The basic combat is weird and punishingly difficult, the mod basically turns it into something a lot more like Witcher 3 with stuff like Active Quen and similar sign bonuses.

Though one thing I will say, everyone should experience a plain Witcher 2 mage run because Heliotrope (removed in the mod for a different style bonus that's similar but not as flashy) needs to be experienced since it's insanely badass to watch, even if it essentially trivializes the entire game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I wanted to end up with Roche. Again.

:gerty::respek::gerty:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Being blonde, snobby, and having an accent doesn't make you a Nazi.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

What makes her a nazi is that she literally doesn't think nordlings are humans. She's not snobby, she's a racist nationalist who thinks it's acceptable to order your hired help to murder peasants.

That's why you can't sleep with her, Geralt wouldn't touch her with Lambert's dick.

That's called being pre-WW1 aristocracy. The Nazis didn't invent or codify any of that, she is literally a top poo poo feudal courtier that has been raised from day 1 to think that most of the world's population exists to serve her. She doesn't make any great overtures about loyalty to the state or ethnic cleansing, as I recall, and she doesn't scapegoat religion or a specific ethnicity (which the Northern Realms all did re: the Elves and anything not the Holy Fire for Redania) as being the cause of the world's problems, either.

Nilfgaard is literally the Roman Empire. Their soldiers are even armed similarly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Geralt seems kind of socialist in some dialogue options... disgusting that they'd make a game where the hero is a nazi

The Witchers actively promote eugenics and the ubermensch.

:godwin:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

lol @ romans with full plate, heavy cavalry and arbalests

Meant the scutum style shields and short straight swords.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I can't remember what the Roche QTE was...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Use the lighting mod linked earlier.

That Tower out of Nowhere quest was :smugbert: as gently caress hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I still don't get how she fooled Geralt within the confines of the world. It's not like baby dolls that are lifelike are even a thing, also it was crying inside the oven. Poof! At least show the oven has a false back or something. Also Geralt still murders the poo poo out of the three guards over a LOL PRANK'D type misunderstanding.