Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I don't know what, if any, troubleshooting steps you have tried but I've been crashing more often on this 2nd runthrough with the latest Nvidia Drivers (353.30)then I did with the previous ones (352.60). Assuming you are using Nvidia. After they fixed the crashing in inventory, I didn't get any crashes the last 60-70 hours of my first playthrough. I've had around 3 the last 20 hours or so using the new drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

I'm a special case. Boot camp on a retina iMac. I'm stuck with AMD drivers from December. It could/may be that. Sadly I'm stuck with that... But the win 8.1 boot camp setup I have has performed admirably on most other fairly current games.

The crashing really didn't get bad until 1.05 or 6 I forget. Before that it was infrequent ( and totally random) (play 10 minutes or 6 hours.)

Ah, ok. Well hopefully pik_d will be able to at least get you past that area.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Snak posted:

I quen occasionally when it seems prudent. I quen while entering fights with large monsters, especially ones whose attack patterns I am not entirely familiar with. I find axii to almost always be superior to quen, though. Quen makes fights take longer, especially if you back up to re-up it when you get hit. Quen is especially prudent against teleporting enemies,

In general, though, using quen is like planning to get hit.

But also I am on console where i only have a single sign castable at a time and can only switch with a radial menu, so it's easier to pick whichever sign is most appropriate for a fight and stick with it. I started using Quen more when I went hudless, because I can't tell how big of a chunk that earth element whose level I don't know will take out of my health if I gently caress up.

You can apparently switch signs with the right and left D-pad if you are in combat and holding down block.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This game has several legitimate laugh out loud moments. It's impressive really, I don't think I've ever laughed from a video game before.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Snak posted:

I've seen that tip on the loading screen. I've never tried it, mostly because I never find myself holding down block. For some people that might be handy. if I remember I'll test it out and see if it seems nicer than the radial menu. The radial menu slows down time (almost to a stop), so it doesn't screw you over on fights, but it interrupts the flow.

Yeah I've never used it either, I don't like the fact that I would have to either take my thumb off the camera or not be able to move. Radial menu works good, imo.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I sort of miss how in the early game below level 8 or so I was constantly broke. I think if I do a 3rd playthrough, I'm going to force myself to not loot anything at all and force myself to purchase all my alchemy ingredients and stuff. Maybe I'll loot just the alcohols required for refills during meditation and the tiny amounts of coins laying around. This DM playthrough I haven't sold anything I've looted, and I still have like 1.5k at level 11. It also might make it harder since I will have to be choosier about what potions/oils/bombs I craft, which would be good because after level 8 even Death March gets pretty easy.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I know it will never happen but I would love if they remade 1 and 2 with this engine.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I liked Keira the best, she was fun. Can someone tell me in spoilers when/where I can have Yen portal me into the lake? I didn't do that the first runthrough.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Has this been posted? I guess this is the final free DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFETTPvBPtY

edit: It was, I'm just blind :)

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 23, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

OAquinas posted:

That is a bit odd. That being said, it doesn't take much to break the economy over your knee so it's not really that big a deal. If you're not rolling in crowns from pawning the stuff of your murder victims by level 10 you're still fairly cash-flush from contracts.

Actually, hmm...after this B&BB run I'm going to do a "cash only" DM run where Geralt's sole source of money will be witcher contracts and found coins. Kinda curious to see how the economy is when you're not selling off the three pounds of steel people choked on. Plus I'll get to appreciate the Cat School witcher more.

That's pretty much what I'm doing now, and I'm still rolling in tons of cash. I think I might have sold 1 or 2 swords just to get them out of my inventory early on.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah It's a shame how they wrote themselves into a corner with that quest. I don't really imagine many players choosing Dijkstra over the rest (oh boy 3 of the cooler characters in the series versus a guy who I guess was in the first game I don't really remember him) and it ends up leaving Dijkstra looking really dumb. He would know full well that there's no way his fat crippled rear end and a few thugs are going to overpower Geralt and a pair of badass guerrillas and he also knows that Witcher neutrality is a crock of poo poo, especially when it comes to Geralt.

They should have redone that quest imo. Make it so you can find some notes or something where Dijkstra talks about his plan to kill Roche and Thaler, and then you have a choice to call him out and fight him to the death in the bathhouse with some of his goons. Then later you can meet Roche and Thaler and explain what happened. And then Roche and Thaler can be all angry because they invested so much and are pissed that they didn't realize he would betray them. Or something

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Beeez posted:

Can you go back to Vizima? Because he was too tough when I tried to play him at that point, he kept killing my cards with a card that had some kind of green goop on it.

Yeah, you can.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Speaking of acronymns, it took me way too long to realize Uma = Ugliest Man Alive :downs:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

It was beat in to my head during one of those load cutscenes

"Uma, THE UGLIEST MAN ALIVE..."

I know! It was pretty obvious, I just for some reason didn't connect the two in my head.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
You guys see this disabled quest?
Spoilers if you haven't been past the Isle of Mist and dealt with UMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48TXQOC53xc

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Make omelets for Yen, Gerald

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

I didn't do the whole sequence on my first playthrough, bowed out before the "I have never" game, and I didn't see it.

Also it takes place after another cutscene we do get, and immediately before the one where Yennefer starts falling asleep, from the sound of it, so it's just cut.

I don't think he was being literal, my man

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Soulex posted:

I just bought this game after a lot of people convinced me to get it.

What should I keep in mind, like stuff not to do before I do XXX, places to check out, and I guess tips and tricks to get by that would take me forever to learn myself?

The crossbow that you get a bit into the game can be used to mostly 1 shot monsters in the water.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Any of you guys had a chance to get into NG+? How is it?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

10 Beers posted:

I've not been able to get it to work on XBone. When I try, it keeps telling me that my game hasn't been completed in that save. Yet when I go into the saved game, there isn't even a section for primary queats, because I beat the drat game already!

I read that you have to load that save, then make a new manual save then load the new savefor ng+ to work, try that maybe?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Rizzo Crackers posted:

Put together one of my Alternative Launch Trailers for the game. It took bloody ages to make. Hope you folks like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moiS5zDIuPM

That's really badass man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

pik_d posted:

I tried to start a NG+ game, but it told me that my previous saves were not from after I completed the game, even though they are.

Load the save where you've beaten the game, make a new save, then reload the new save.