Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You babied her a bit too much and did not build up her confidence enough. I do not remember all of the checks, you need to let her confront phillipa alone, go break in to avellach's lab, go pay her respects to the man who helped her, and should refuse payment from the emperor if you took her there. There may be another im forgetting, and I do not know how many are needed to succeed.

Also this

Also get into a snowball fight with her at Kaer Morhen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Slashrat posted:

You're a bit off-track. The Tree Spirit quest is in the witch branch of the main questline in Velen, not the Baron's branch. Both questlines eventually merge when you've followed up on them both. Keira Metz will point you in the direction of the Crones, and through them, the tree spirit.

Yeah, basically following the Baron, all you learn is that his wife and daughter ran off, and some bigass monster ran off with Anna, while the daughter went off on her own. You don't actually find out what the monster was until you go through Keira's stuff.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

dyzzy posted:

gently caress I knew that sounded vaguely familiar.

He even says it's from his favorite play, "Wacbeth".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

cerious posted:

Alright so I finally redeemed the code for the Witcher 3 on the PC from the Nvidia bundle. Before I start playing it though, is it going to be worth it to play through the first 2 in the series? Or should I just read up on the summaries and dive right in?

As somebody who has played the other two, just jump right into 3 after reading the summaries. The other games I liked, but Witcher 3 I looooved, and the decisions that carry over don't effect much, and you can just have the game simulate carrying over a save anyway.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

So all I need is 1 alcohest to refill every oil, potion, bomb, and decotion I have? I can use literally everything I've made and have it refilled with but one alcohest?

Yup!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

my new dog posted:

Ending spoiler: everything is poo poo

That's a spoiler for the entire franchise, not just an ending.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Cirosan posted:

Way before the start of TW1:
* A pogrom (race riot) breaks out in Rivia while Geralt and co. are in town. Taking it upon themselves to keep the peace, they step in to stop it - but Geralt gets supremely unlucky and is skewered by some nobody peasant with a pitchfork. Yennefer dies soon after him (still during the riot, but under unclear circumstances).

This is a good post, the only thing I could add to it is Yen dies casting a healing spell to try and save Geralt, even though she knows that the attempt will drain her of energy and kill her.

Team Yennefer.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, way back in the thread somebody mentioned that it's not underwear, people back in the middle ages would legitimately wrap up like that since shorts weren't really a thing that had been invented yet.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Stop! Witcher badman, troll arrest. Witcher sword drop, poot hands on heads.

"Me am ask question. Me gun. Four bull eats? Five bull eats? Me no count. Me ask, you lucky poonk?"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

You know that troll you find in the swamp that thinks he's part of the army now and asks you find paint and when you do you paint a (bad) crest on the walls for him and he's overjoyed? I want him to have a fleet. BOAT GO THAT WAY NOW!

That quest has the best player choice in all of gaming. if you do it for him, it looks like poo poo, but he's overjoyed. If you tell him to do it himself, he makes an absolutely GORGEOUS, professional looking crest, but he thinks it looks like absolute poo poo and starts getting down on himself about how bad it looks.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

For all his friends' poo poo giving, the G.E.R.A.L.T. plan to seduce sorceresses seems to be a sure thing.

Genie
Enforced
Romance,
Amnesiac
Lied to by
Triss

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The fact that there's no plans for some sort of DLC Ciri campaign is heartbreaking, especially after seeing those armors.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Gilganixon posted:

:hf:

I want ploughin' Thaler DL cocksucking C.

Can't you switch over the Ciri at any time through console commands if you want to cruise around witchering as her?

Yeah, but you don't get any of those sweet dulcet tones in conversations and all that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

endgame stuff Do you still get to see the conversation Ciri has with Philippa if you let her go alone? I went with her because I, the player, wanted to know what she said, not because I thought it was the right thing to do.

Nope, Geralt and Yen stand outside the room and debate whether it's right or not to try and listen in. Well, Geralt debates. Yen pretty much immediately puts her ear to the door, but isn't able to make out much.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

soooo with the haunted house in Novigrad...

I was nice to the female Godling and told her I'd tell Uncle Pennybags the house is permahaunted. IGN informs me that it's a minor ending that I'll later find out she lives happily with the woman she was tormenting in the house now. However, it seems the "better" ending would have been to force her out as she apparently finds the godling boy in the bog. Wouldn't that be a better ending? Sigh.

So with the DLC, does it just auto install or something? the PS4 gives no indication of it, is the idea that I'm supposed to check their media pages to know about it? It seems a tad silly to not advertise it at all in the game.

You have to purchase and download the DLC, but it's free. As for the spoiler, No, I think both endings sound pretty good, which is an absolute rarity for The Witcher, in which you are given a choice between lovely and hosed Up. Also you shouldn't really be comparing what you did versus what you could have done, just do what feels right and consider that your story.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Subterfrugal posted:

Not even a genie could overcome my distaste for that high-fantasy spelling of Jennifer. That is on par with a war crime and those who think differently should be yailed.

Quit being so yudgemental.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Han Nehi posted:

Good, now I can skip the guilt of selling Crach's sword that's been in his family for 20 generations or whatever.

Even as he's talking about it, I'm standing there desperately mashing the "NO DON'T GIVE IT TO ME SERIOUSLY I JUST MADE A SWORD PLEASE KEEP IT"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Witchers are sterile :colbert:

"Guess we'll just have to try harder, then."

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

On the one hand, new DLC apparently may have leaked, and you shouldn't download it because it may gently caress with your game.

On the other hand, it's new costume DLC for Ciri!

On the other hand, it looks kinda dumb and features an exposed midriff.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/technow/games/the-witcher-3-ciri-dlc-accidentally-leaks--developers-say-dont-download-it-340996.html

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

I also was motivated to pick up the first Witcher book (The Last Wish) because of this game. I'm like halfway through and it's basically Geralt running around doing sidequests. Not sure what to make of it.

Yeah, the first book isn't a complete novel, but a series of short stories about Geralt. After that they turn into a fuller series of novels, but I actually like the first one the best just for how it jumps around to all these different little vignettes.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

There is officially too much stuff to do in this game. I'm 15 hours deep and have barely cleared out even half the question marks in Velen.

So far I liked that missing wife sidequest the best. Things get devilishly hosed up if you don't take the sister's bribe and keep pressing the investigation.

Yeah, but even better, you can take the bribe and then immediately turn around and continue the investigation, make an extra bit of coin, and the only person who can judge you for it is already a terrible person, sooo....

Also maybe I just rushed ahead too quickly in the story on my first playthrough or my skills have improved since then, because I'm doing a Death March playthrough and I'm finding it easier in parts. The botchling fight still absolutely sucks, but the gargoyle in Keira's quest and the werewolf in one of the contracts both took forever on my first playthrough, and I was just cleaving through them like a hot knife through butter this time. Assuming you're willing to be patient and cautious and constantly cast Quen, it's not too bad outside of certain tricky segments.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Skipping Dandelion's stuff because you don't like him should result in automatically giving you the bad ending :colbert:

If you don't do the quest, all the narration suddenly gets really pissy and passive-aggressive. "And then Geralt, who smelled like rear end all the time, went to Skellige, where I hope he died or something, in order to find Ciri, who could really do much better for a father figure."

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Snak posted:

Holy poo poo I almost want to not finished the quest just for this.

I should say I was making a joke here and the game doesn't actually do this. Although I haven't actually ever avoiding doing the quest, because I'M NOT A HEARTLESS MONSTER.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ughhhh posted:

So will i end up going to that huge tree that you can see on your map (and can be seen from most points in Velen) during the story? I just finished the Ladies in the Woods story and arrived in Novigrad which has just taken me the opposite direction of the tree. Did i miss something (i tried going down south in Velen, but the monsters were about 5~10 lvls higher than me, got chased around by a lvl 23 griffin that was just roaming around, so i turned back)?

You'll come back to it, don't worry.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

I am aware. What I mean is they could release it on PC and consoles get it later.

Yeah. Or they could do it the way they're doing it too. Which is what they're doing. I mean, they're still fixing this game for free and releasing all sorts of DLC, again, for free, along with two expansion packs that sound like they're gonna be as big as the previous game in the series.

So, like, at this point I kinda feel like if they want to wait a couple days to release a patch, that's okay. Especially if the cert process catches something that might also affect the PC version, so they can release a fixed patch instead of having to scramble around to get parity between different versions of the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, I'm not arguing you can't send emails or give negative feedback or whatever you need to do, but...like...they're not gonna put the patches out earlier. In a few days the patch will be out. And then the patch after that. It's a video game, man. Chill, they're fixing it, give them time to do their jobs to fix it right. People complained about PC getting the patches earlier than consoles, now they're releasing them at the same time and people are complaining that PC has to wait for the patches to hit consoles. So what's the answer?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

There will be more expansions after the announced two, surely? I mean this game is selling great.

I kind of want to see Iorveth do that Comanche fire ant trick to Phil.

I dunno, considering they're saying the scale of these expansions is going to be on the level of Witcher 2, they're probably gonna want to, you know, work on other things after they release two expansions that both give at least 10 hours of additional playtime.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

So they don't like money?

Not enough to keep working on the same game for much longer when they've got a brand new franchise ready to go. Besides, if they were in this to just make ludicrous amounts of profits, they wouldn't be rolling out patch after patch, free DLC content, and holding an incredibly lassez-faire attitude toward piracy. I mean, we COULD go over to their offices and dress them up in little outfits and make them dance for us until the end of time. Maybe that would be a better use of their time.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

That part was so blatantly pervy I thought a trophy was going to pop for not wearing the towel.

I commend their dedication to creating an entire texture set for an old naked woman that gets used precisely once in the entire game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, it's shocking how quickly Death March levels off, or at least you start learning how to play appropriately for it. The beginning is an absolute slog until about level 7 or 8, and suddenly you're laughing in the face of danger because you're dodging and Quen'ing all over the place. The only thing more satisfying than (late game boss spoiler) roasting Imlerith's head inside his own helmet (seriously, that bit was impressive) is doing it without taking a single hit. Because if you do, you're pretty much already dead.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

cams posted:

I don't really have a problem switching signs in battle. I do, however, have a problem playing and not dying on Death March. Only level 5 so I dont have too much to work with but holy poo poo it's rough.

As someone about to finish their Death March run, I promise you it gets easier in a bit. My main stumbling block at that point was dealing with the Botchling. Just be patient and you'll get through. Also bear in mind that when spectres disappear, you can tell where they're moving by the light of their lanterns on the ground. The game starts to level off at around level 7 or 8, and then so long as you're careful to keep to things within your level range, you're pretty much golden outside of a few trouble spots.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

What does Siggy do if you choose his side in all that?

he kills Roche, Ves, and Thaler, then sends assassins to kill Emhyr, establishes an ironclad rule, bringing an industrial revolution to the land. Progress at any cost, essentially. Redania thrives under his rule, but the people aren't exactly thrilled about it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

If I remember the way it works correctly, to get Ciri Emhyr would have had to be a carrier. He just shows no special abilities because one of the critical genes is sex linked.

I could have sworn it was something that was only carried by the matriarchal line, but the powers themselves skip a generation, so Ciri's mother had it, but couldn't use any of the abilities. Then again, it's been a long time since I read the books.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Beeez posted:

Oh, then I guess there's really not much of a difference between her and Geralt or player characters in general.

Basically Yennefer is going through the story picking all the renegade dialogue options whenever possible.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Snak posted:

She couldn't possibly have "had a plan" to use black magic before she knew that Skjall was dead. She decided to do that, on the spot, because she alone determined it was the only and best course of action.

Except in this case it was literally the only and best course of action. I mean, it's reckless and fucks up an entire community, but without consulting Skjall, who she knows was the last person to see Ciri alive, which is a thing that Yen knows, they would have no leads. Their only remaining witness is dead, and she knows how to get information from a dead person, it's not like she randomly picked a corpse to resurrect.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 23, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Also earlier in the game Geralt makes a call to either help a cult of witches who kidnap and eat children and take human ears as payment, or else to help a creepy tree spirit that immediately murders an entire town, and all of that just to find the location of one old woman at the behest of a drunken wifebeater. Who is standing about 30 feet away the whole time

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Snak posted:

I mean, I get that it is from Yennifer's perspective, but you are literally arguing that it's the right thing to gently caress over an entire community because you think it will help you find your daughter faster. To argue that this is objectively good is :psyduck:

I mean, Geralt spent weeks so far following Ciri's trail and didn't feel the need to resort to the type of force and destruction that Yennifer has. Geralt actually has a modicum of diplomacy in his actions, probably because, as a Witcher, he needs to be able to work in these lands indefinitely. So the writers conveniently created not one, but two situations (so far) where "the only choice" was for Yennifer to be selfish, destructive, and disrespectful.

It's not objectively good. I mean, Yen basically destroys a community and tears a soul screaming out of the void into a rotting corpse and tortures it into revealing the location of a girl he had a crush on before he died in agony, but it's the only recourse left in the story. There's no such thing as objectively good in the Witcher universe, but from Yen's perspective, Skjall is already dead but there's still a chance to save Ciri, and from that perspective, she's totally correct. Again, Geralt himself is making choices just as terrible left and right for the exact same reasons as Yen, only he tries to wrap it up in a Code that doesn't actually exist and pretending to be neutral in a world where neutrality just gets people killed, whereas Yen has the audacity to be upfront about the fact that she's doing terrible things for decent reasons.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

How is the death march difficulty? I just finally finished my first playthrough which I played on blood and broken bones and some point around 1/3 of the way into it I felt the inevitable power creep of all open-world RPGs where I was able to bash most everything without much thought or difficulty (I noticed this when I completely stopped fussing with oils and barely used potions and bombs). Probably not going to play through the whole game but I'm thinking of starting a go on death march as I like the thought of really having to think about every encounter and actually using the resources I find rather than tossing them in the bottomless alchemy backpack.

Also probably gonna try to not use quen much because gently caress that poo poo's op nerf this sick filth haha

I just beat it on Death March yesterday and it's exactly like this. The beginning of the game is a loving slog, and then by the time you reach about level 8 or so, things start to level off, partly because you have enough abilities and equipment to carry you, and also because you've developed the skills at dodging and blocking to survive. Quen is basically mandatory, though, since you can probably take like two or three hits from an enemy at your level, and the boss fights turn into wars of attrition where you dodge around just to have an opportunity to do a couple of light attacks. But honestly, after that initial hump, it's not bad at all.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Is it possible to get the Wolf armor at Kaer Morhen in the beginning? The lowest level armor is 14, I'd you can't get it before you rally to the fortress, it seems kinda silly. That being said, I wish that all the armor was available at the same levels. Making the bear armor available so much later than the others is kind of a drag.

You can't leave the grounds of the actual castle in the intro, so no, you can't get the armor schematics until you visit after following Ciri's trail. That being said, it does at least take you to some cool places on the Kaer Morhen map you would otherwise have no reason to visit, so that's neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

sertalman posted:

That makes some sense, I guess. I was hoping they had fixed Roach stopping to a halt on bridges.

They specifically mentioned fixing this in the patch, independently of the new movement mode.