Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm playing this on the PS4 and I'm loving it. I think it's crazy amazing and it's eating up all of my free time.

Please keep posting complaints about the game, goons. I derive great enjoyment from people who are clearly being forced to engage with something that is atrocious because it's not realistic enough/too realistic/graphically unacceptable/won't run on PC/has bad combat/changed things from previous games. The really passionate posts about inventory management or movement are my favorite. My heart goes out to you, slaves to the system, joylessly pressing buttons and feeling your blood pressure rise as Geralt fails to meet your standards.

To be fair, my experience is not without hiccups. I found a page in the tutorials that's still in Polish, and I had to restart the game once because someone wouldn't talk to me. But overall it's a fantastic piece of work and a shinning gem of the genre.

It's cool to give honest criticism of things you like, and it's weird for that to upset you. I love the game but the inventory is atrocious and it'd have been nice if they had spent 10% of the time they spent making side content on a really good interface instead, or even any time at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Posting in the thread at all is probably a pretty good indicator that you like the game a lot, otherwise why would you bother? I certainly don't waste my time posting in threads about games I don't like, it's really easy to not play them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

theDOWmustflow posted:

poo poo, I've run into a game breaking bug. Bug occurs during the quest to find Hjalmar. When I approach the sleeping Ice Giant, the appropriate cutscene plays and ends. When it ends, I get stuck in an infinite loading screen loop. 30 seconds into the loop the "You have died" screen abruptly appears. There is no way for me to escape the loop. In the end I decided to just leave the cave and do other quests, but everytime a cutscene for a different quest is supposed to start, the ice troll cinematic plays instead and I'm back in the loop.

Shiiiiiet. Has anyone else run into this? I'm playing on PC.

I found hjalmar before getting the quest for him, he invited me to come kill the giant. I decided that it was probably part of a quest and left, since it didn't give me quest markers or anything and I wanted those. I played for another 30 minutes doing whatever random stuff when all of a sudden the ice troll cinematic plays and I'm back on skellige fighting some trolls. I went ahead and reloaded that one, but it was pretty funny.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Call me a Luddite or what have you, but I'm growing bored and annoyed with these never ending Oceans 11 type quests in Novigrad. What the hell does all this have to do with witchers killing monsters? At least the Family Matters quest had one monster in it. This is all intrigue that plays like a CSI detective game.

Bollocks.

Novigrad seems like the weakest of the three areas to me, for what it's worth. Skellige is super-cool and a great change of scenery.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Psiharis posted:

I failed a pretty random sidequest in the farmlands of Novigrad (I think it was Flown the Coop, something about a monster stealing chickens). Since I wasn't doing anything main quest related for a long time before I noticed, I suspect it was related to a nearby quest to deal with a monster on behalf of some halfling mead brewers.

The completionist in me is a little miffed - I had older saves but would have to roll back a LOT of Gwent progress. Honestly though it makes me intrigued about how those quests must tie together, and it's high on my to-do list for the next playthrough even though I know it must be something minor. I'd rather have quests that intertwine and occasionally whiff and fail one, rather than having everything being completely standalone and static from every other part of the game.

I've "failed" other quests by being too hasty about turning them in, and only later stumbling across a bit of evidence that complicates the issue. Makes me wonder how many of the most straightforward quests had layers that I was just oblivious to. It adds a lot of richness to the game and discourages anal-retentive checklist style play all at once.

The same thing happen to me, halfing quest screwed that one up. I did find the children from it, and the quest moved from failed to incomplete, but I couldn't turn it in. Incomplete is better than failed for me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

nessin posted:

I'll offer a different perspective on the combat, I actually don't see how people can stand to keep the difficult up. I started at the highest and gradually stepped down to story mode. The idea of preparing for each and every fight was great but it gets exceedingly tedious and very little changes. Wraiths for example, even the special contract/named ones, don't really have any significant difference in execution and higher difficulties didn't mean the fight was harder only that I had to spend more time being prepared for the fight. Did I have the absolute highest oil I could get at the time, or was what I had good enough? Did I have a good combination of potions and decoctions lined up, with the skill points invested in my abilities to avoid overdose? Was my gear slotted with the right rune stones and sigils for what I needed in the fight? So on and so forth.

Once you go to that stage and actually started the fight it all boiled down to learning the animations and how many screws up could you afford before reloading. To be fair that's about all I expect out of a game because going beyond that level of AI is really outside the scope of even a AAA title but front loading all the effort just made the fight itself seem more tedious than usual in other games.

After about 15-20 hours of that I just couldn't handle it anymore and had to start taking down the difficulty just so I wasn't playing fight prep simulator.

Edit:
If all fairness I could just be getting tired of difficulty. I seem to be doing this more and more in games. I was never a big fan of reflex based challenges/difficulty in the first place and I've reached the point where I don't even try anymore. At least this game, for a while, had me interested enough to prove I can still do it if I could ever justify those forms of difficulty being worth time.

I don't really bother with stuff like oils because it's basically a mouseclick tax - the fight gets easier if you click more in menus. I just cast another igni/swing my sword more instead. Oils should really just be a passive boost - you use the appropriate oil automatically if you have it. Then the oil recipes would be like, mini-quests to improve your damage against certain monster types, much the way filling in your bestiary was in the old game.

I'm on the second-hardest difficulty and the game feels like it's gotten easy - it was toughest early on but igni is really broken. I kinda want to try other signs just to see how they play - I feel pretty confident in killing anything that is igni-vulnerable no matter how level it is and I'm only level 21.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Aurain posted:

I have a druid trying to offer me a yellow ! quest near Gedyleith, but when I speak to him, nothing happens. Any one have a clue or is it just some weird bug?

I got this same thing - my map will forever have a ! from the indecisive druid.

Also it's real weird that that place has two signposts with the same name that you can't warp between - I don't get the point, they're super-close to each other.

e: sorry for double-post

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cephalocidal posted:

Lore-wise it's part of the drawn-out prep before going after a contract kill. Gameplay-wise... yeah, kinda sucks. I'd rather move in the other direction and gamify it as an active thing, but not one that goes to a menu. Long in-game animation to oil up, sort of thing you can dodge behind a rock and pull off mid-combat.

Something like this would be fine, but I'd rather they get a better potion system(ie more than 2 slots, potion tab in inventory, etc) going first before they do it. Potion effects are almost universally more interesting than a percentage bonus to damage.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

NaDy posted:

Is there a way to roll back the last patch with the GOG galaxy version? I want to play tonight but I also want to get xp.

You probably can't load your character if you've saved since the new patch.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't see how storage would solve the problem in the least - it's the exact same problem except now you add "what do I store" to "what do I sell" and "what do I drop". You still have to do one of those tedious things every time your inventory fills up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I did the story quests in skellige in 1.04 and they gave me a ton of XP even though I outlevel them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Except that continues to ignore Anna's choices. Anna chose to leave him and she gets absolutely no say (due to her condition) over being sent back to him. That ending is the worst ending because it is taking a woman driven insane by her abusive husband's actions and giving her back to him because he promises not to beat her this time, even though she made it clear beforehand that she wants nothing to do with him and loathes him to the point she was more willing to take her daughter, make a deal with monsters and escape into the dangerous wilderness than remain with him.

There's no defending that choice. It isn't the most unarguably Wrong choice in the game but it isn't a grey choice at all. It's forcing an incapacitated woman to go back to her abusive husband, who is only not an ex-husband because of the lovely world they live in. It's a perfectly valid choice to make but it isn't a shades of grey one. It's terrible. (And that isn't discounting the horrifying things Anna did either but still.)

I'm not arguing it's bad writing but it isn't morally ambiguous at all.

I think you're wrong and if you asked anna which ending she preferred, she'd disagree with you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It would be awesome if they made this clear.

There are a lot of weird vagaries like that. Two alchemy skills refer to overdose threshold and maximum toxicity, which seem like they might be the same thing.

I think they're different - one is the point where you start taking damage and your health bar turns yellow as far as I know. I haven't explored the alchemy tree really, the potion interface is too bad for me to want to bother, and it's a tree that screams "respec into me" anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CJ posted:

So is there any point in having loot drops in this game? I literally haven't found a piece of gear that can keep up with my witcher sets in 15 levels or so. I keep getting these quests where i help a blacksmith craft a legendary sword and then when he gives it to me it's a pos. Between all the gear being vendor trash, having 20k gold or so since level 15 and the nominal amount of xp you get it doesn't make doing sidequests very rewarding.

crafting/alchemy recipes are the only rewards worth thinking about

I still can't find griffin treasure maps 1 and 2 - hattori had 4 and some armorer had 3, but I think I gotta google the rest.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CJ posted:

I think the map was on one of the vendors in Crow's Perch but if not it was in Dragonslayer's Grotto NW of Downwarren.

I have the base set - I'm talking about the maps for the upgrades that you generally buy from vendors. I have all four of the bear maps, all four of the cat ones, and only two of the four griffin ones, and of course griffin is the one I want to use. I can make all of the superior and mastercraft parts, but not the enhanced ones. (I did find two of the enhanced upgrades randomly - I wonder if that's prevented me from getting the maps.)

TheStampede posted:

So how are folks getting cards to build their Gwent decks? I see a few here and there at shops, but not nearly enough to really dive in to deck building, especially given the different deck types. I'm probably 20+ hours in and lvl 11, and haven't encountered much.

In fairness though, I've seen, like 1/5th of the map in that time...

Using the northern realms deck and building it up a card at a time. You get one card from each merchant, nicer cards from the gwent quests, and can buy cards at every inn. Play every merchant you find, and don't leave until you win - that lets you see that "play cards" is greyed out so you don't repeat a merchant. (I would buy an inn's cards as soon as you get there as long as it doesn't put you in the poorhouse - it saves tracking them down later, especially in a game where inns aren't all shown on the map for some reason.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 29, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

So I think I found 6 or 7 places of power in White Orchard and so far have only found three in Velen/Novigrad. Am I just bad or is the density much lower outside of White Orchard?

How do you get it?

They are higher density in white orchard for sure, I think quests take you pretty close to many of them in velen. I haven't explored THAT many ?s in velen but I have a number of places of power. (I was kind of guessing there were 5 in each region but I don't know.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Magni posted:

Haha, I just found the best mini side-quest roaming the Novigrad sewers.

You find an archeologist trying to open an old elven sarophagus and can decide to help him lift the lid. Turns out, there's a vampire sleeping in there.

Vampire: "Ugh. Just five more minutes... Is it 1358 yet?"

Geralt: "No."

Vampire: "Then gently caress off!"

:haw:

haha yeah this one is funny - there's so much hidden poo poo in novigrad that I feel like you'd just never find it all. It's one thing in velen to find a town-looking place that has a sidequest in it, it's another to wander around novigrad endlessly until you come across whatever random thing. Wandering around the sewers looking for walls to aard definitely qualifies.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The game has way more XP than you need anyway you end up way outlevelling the main quest if you do all the sidequests, losing a few days worth of quest XP is not the end of the world.

Levantine posted:

Where can I get some more Gwent cards? I'm having trouble beating the Baron with my deck. It could just be i"m getting bad pulls and he's getting good ones, but I have too many lower value cards (4-5). I'm also getting stomped by random vendors and it's disheartening.

Buy them at inns, play the random vendors until you beat them. Exploring and finding towns is pretty fun, you may as well go to every locale and check out their inns/vendors, regardless of where you are in the game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

It is a pain in the arse if you were unaware of the bug though.

I don't really see it - I feel way overlevelled already and the way things are going, I'm pretty sure I could beat the game without gaining any more XP (I'm level 21). I'm sure it's worse if you trigger it at level 9 or something, I was pretty eager to complete early quests asap. After a point, levels seem to stop mattering, I certainly don't care about level guidelines being much higher than me any more. It would be a bummer to not be able to use the best tier witcher armor.

It's definitely not consistent and I do gain some XP - not sure when I actually triggered it. I know main quests aren't affected, or weren't for me as of then, and I'm sure I did grey quests ages ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

finally(big map spoiler):
http://witcher3map.com/v

Aurain posted:

Well, you need XP because red diamond enemies take little to no damage regardless of your spec/gear set up. Once you're in level range, you can wreck them with the exact same set up, but if they have a red diamond, no can do.

You certainly can if they're igni vulnerable, but fair point, it depends on your spec and earth elementals, etc are still gonna be hard.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Schurik posted:

At 18, should I finish up all the quests below me and then head to Skellige? Or just do it now? I don't like fast travelling so...

There are more side quests below you just waiting to be had in skellige, you better get over there !!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Alright thanks guys, guess I'm just over-thinking the humans a bit too much. :shobon:

That's my only "major" issue with the game really - as complex as the combat makes itself out to be things are pretty simple when you get down to things. Sign, stab, done. Even major boss fights are mostly dodge, sign, stab, repeat. It's a bit of a shame but I suppose the combat being the weakest part of a story driven character RPG is to be expected, haha.

Yeah it's certainly not the game's strongest aspect - it does the job about 10x better than any elder scrolls game ever did, but that's like saying it smells 10x better than fresh turds.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

drat you, albedo. :argh: I need it for the superior ursine silver sword but I just cannot find any for the life of me. Tried the alchemists I know of, including the master alchemist, and there's nothing to be found. Irritating.

albedo is one you gotta make in the alchemy components lab, unless you're talking about the recipe. It may be possible for the component recipes to disappear like the others, that would really suck too. White gull disappears aka you don't get superior potions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

I've run into a problem where I had recipes for upgraded versions of some bombs (moon dust, dancing star) before I got the regular recipe, and when I got the regular version I apparently forgot the recipe for the upgraded ones. I'm not sure if I have to buy them again from a merchant because I haven't seen anyone selling those since.

recipes sometimes disappear, I don't think it's related to what order you got things in, it's a coincidence. I have the same bug, enhanced northern wind isn't in my list despite having it in my inventory, can't make enhanced white rafford's decoction after finally getting the nekker hearts, a couple others are missing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

igni sets shield guys on fire and they drop their shield

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Levantine posted:

I've used both normal and alt Igni against shield guys and it doesn't phase them at all.

EDIT: if they have it up. It works if they are in the middle of an attack.

I dunno, I alt-igni them and they become on fire quickly, haven't noticed if it requires the start of an attack to actually trigger.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Begemot posted:

Alt-igni will make them drop their shield after a couple seconds. The only problem is that sometimes they just attack you while you're sitting there shooting fire at them.

yeah - that's the nature of alt-igni

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

Okay so I just have to ask to because I am paranoid. I am level 14 or so, I am running around Novigrad doing mainquest stuff there because I had read that you could get some great Gwent cards from Zoltan eventually. I wanted to do that before heading to Skillige. However, there are a lot of successive quests trying to free Dandelion. I just met Roche and am about to go kill Whoreson Junior. I forgot to meet up with Cleaver for the "Gangs of Novigrad" quest because I didnt see it in the dozen+ sidequests I have, and now that I talked to Radovid and got Whoreson's location, the quest to meet up with Cleaver failed. If I continue to do this mainquest stuff before heading to Skellige is there anything else major I am going to gently caress up? I know you can go to Skellige at any time but now I keep getting this "well I shouldnt leave this quest to save Dendelion dangling because I know that once I get to Skellige I'll be there for a while" feeling.

This sounds about right, but I'm not through the game yet so my opinion may change.

I have not found either of these things but I sure hope that I do!

Treat "going to skellige" and "doing skellige story stuff" as separate - you can do one without the other.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 1, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

It's fine if enemies aren't in charge range of you. No drowner will ever manage to get through the entire length of your fire stream without getting set on fire.

Yeah but if there are two drowners, sometimes one makes it if they aren't perfectly lined up. It's pretty rare but it happens.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Wiseblood posted:

Do oils expire on their own at all without attacking anything? I'm wondering if there's a reason I shouldn't just have hanged man's venom on my steel sword at all times.

because the game wants to place an interface screw in between you and some percentage damage bonus

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I hate to be that guy, but how bad is the jump from BBB difficulty to Death March? As much as I love this game there is no way in hell I'm going through a map this size twice, and if I'm gonna restart to get all the trophies I figure I'd better do it now.

*doesn't like repeating long, tedious tasks*
*wants to get all the trophies*

why don't you just like, let it be dude

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fixed issue where some players where experiencing infinite loading screen during King's Gambit quest.

thank god - I wonder if they've acknowledged the alchemy formula bug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

It came out a week ago. No.
There have been a bunch of random deals for like, 20% off the past two weeks, I haven't paid enough attention to link one since I bought it already but your statement is false.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

really wish I weren't stuck on king's gambit until the patch...

I could go do other stuff but I'm pretty burned out of (easy) witcher contracts and want to continue on to quests that matter

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

You can advance the storyline up until you need to go to the isle of mist without any consequence, and if you pass that point the only penalty is missing one part of Brother in Arms: Skellige. King's Gambit itself is still available afterward.

hmm okay, I think I'll do that, I guess I was worried about that :siren: big cut off :siren:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A chest would make it even worse because now you also have to tediously think about "what should I put in the chest?", in addition to the already existing and tedious questions, "what should I drop?" and "what should I sell?". Selling items should just be removed entirely, then there's no reason to pick up junk, and there should be a potion and bomb tab, and no weight limit. That would probably be enough. (I'd go further and remove looting random crap everywhere but they aren't gonna do that.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Scandalous posted:

Is there any reason I'm having such a hard time activating the Alternate Sign mode of Axii? Holding down the trigger seems to result in a normal cast more often than not.

keep holding it after you get the normal cast

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

if you destroy the logic circuit you can wear both the underwear and the non-underwear

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

pick something and do it based on what you think the consequences might be

ps no reason not to go to skellige ASAP, it has lots of side quests and stuff for you to do, so if you're the sort of guy who puts off the story to do side quests, you may as well head there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

moot the hopple posted:

So hey, don't go into the sunken ship next to the one in the Queen Zuleyka quest. Even though you can easily jump into the hold, the ramp leading back up to the deck is blocked off by debris and is partly submerged, which disables hurdling or jumping over it because being knee deep in water counts as swimming. Hope you didn't save down there like me! :downs:

You can jump out, at least if its the same ship that I got stuck in. Feel free not to break yourself trying but I was able to get out by going to the side of the ramp closer to ship wall, and jumping around there.