Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've been wanting to do this for years, so I've decided to go with a Chaos Run and see where it takes me!

Onward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

So it looks like I got Time Mage as my first job on Chaos Run. I'll get everything started in the morning. It's been years since I've played this game, and I've never finished it, but here goes!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Got my Water job, and it's Red Mage. So I'm Time/Red so far. I have to say I kind of miss my early Freelancer time because I got to use the weapons I normally never used like the Ashura and whip and diamond bell, up until Garula. I'm looking forward to slingin' spells and breakin' rods all over the place.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

You know, after playing a lot of Final Fantasy XII again lately, and earlier playing FFXIV's free trial, it feels really weird to be playing Final Fantasy V, and thinking, oh yeah, this is a main series Final Fantasy game. It feels so different to what I've been used to the last little while.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Hello Fire Crystal! Hello Earth Crystal!

Oh.

Well, I can... salvage... this. I think. Dualcast on the Time Mage (I'll be able to dualcast meteors with that, right?) and I guess I could throw Time on the Dragoon and Red on the Geo. If I put Dualcast on the Geo, will that still give me access to the Red Lv. 3? That's a lot of grinding, though. I may just stick with Red or Time.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I'm starting to hit a bit of a wall in terms of damage. Red Mage got me through a great deal of World 1, but the monsters in World 2 are lasting a bit longer and dealing more damage than I can reasonably heal. Fortunately, Time Magic is pretty great, and Slowga makes a lot of battles hurt a lot less. I never really used Time magic before, but I'm loving how much control I have over the battlefield with it! Gaia is actually pulling its weight a lot of the time, despite the randomness, and having it on two characters right now is helping my overall damage output on random encounters. Still, I'm not looking forward to World 3 at this rate.

Also, that stupid pit thing in Drakenvale. I forgot all about it and went up and down the mountain twice trying to figure out how to get that switch!

But yeah, to summarize: Time Magic is pretty great. On to Xezat's fleet!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

4 Berserker guy did it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

So, is the Gil Cave just a big joke that should be avoided at all costs, or is there any way to NOT get my poo poo kicked in after collecting 70 gil from the floor? Time, Red, Geo, Dragoon, World 2, level 30.

If it's just going to be a waste of time, I'll just head to Moore and get this over with. I just wanted to see if there was anything more to this place than a boss-level turtle with 36000 hp and attacks that do north of my max health on everybody, twice in a row, every time.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cerepol posted:

GBA? Quicksave and reload right before a fight would trigger rinse and repeat until you reach the end

Yeah, I've got the GBA version, but doesn't reloading the quicksave delete it? So if I still get my poo poo kicked in after the quicksave is reloaded then I'm back to the start again regardless. Unless you mean to say the quicksave/reload cycle happens on every tile, and that would effectively eliminate the random encounter with the turtle. I may try it.

Vil posted:

Even when you're not in a fiesta and can min/max your jobs for it, Gil Turtle's still kind of annoying and you only get gil from walking down that hallway. Besides, if you spend any appreciable amount of time in everyone's favorite basement learning abilities, you'll have a shitload of gil from that anyway.

So no, feel free to skip it.

What basement is this? Sorry, I've only played this game this far once or twice before and I've never finished it. I was hoping my Fiesta would be my first successful clear. I'm even trying to avoid missing the missable things for after I finish this run, because I also want to experience the bonus GBA content and I figure once NED is down, and I take a crack at Omega and Shinryu I can safely leave the save aside for later shenanigans with the normal selection of jobs.

I'm not in dire need of gil at the moment, and I've already got about 50k or so after running through Barrier Tower and Ghido's Cave, plus spending a bit of time hitting old men with falling rocks and people before they turn into frogs to build up a few more job points. I'm halfway to dualcast on my Red Mage, who will then promptly and forever become the Time Mage and then I won't bother trying to get dualcast on anyone else because holy poo poo that's a lot of points to do one at a time.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Oh, cool. Thanks for the help, everyone!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

All right. I got the only legendary weapons I care about for my Time/Red/Geo/Dragoon run. I have Meteor. A bunch of poo poo I had to fight to GET Meteor absorbed Holy for some idiotic reason making the Holy Lance useless but now I can just drop space rocks and Lenna on stuff for the rest of the game.

At this point, I think the only thing I need is enough HP to survive NED and I'm good to go.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

So I just encountered Omega for the first time ever. I've read some strategies in this thread that involve beastmasters or bards, and I seem to recall someone saying something about Time Magic being useful, but I can't figure out a way to get past his counters. Do I just need to hope that a reflected Stop works? Time/Red/Geo/Dragoon here. A Trident-wearing Dragoon can damage it well enough, and I have Quick, but it'll still take 25-28 Jumps and I have to pray the Aegis shield blocks Encircle. No one else has the offense, unless I'm reflecting Thundaras onto him for a little under 1k a pop, but those also trigger counters.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Time Magic is a guaranteed win not because it's useful, but because of the Quickleak exploit: equip a reflect ring, cast Quick, then break a Poison Rod on yourself. It'll reflect Bio onto Omega and inflict Sap, which will sloooooowly whittle his health down. Since you're still under the effects of Quick, Omega won't be able to do anything while his HP ticks down. This takes an insane amount of time (like upwards of an hour even on fast-forward), but is perfectly safe.

I see. Okay. Thanks for that.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Ramos posted:

I've found the downside to the poison rod quick combo on Omega. He takes loving forever to die, even on fast forward.

I'm tempted to try it, and just leave my gameboy advance plugged in and on overnight. I'd miss the death animation, though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Well, Quickleak did the trick. It's dirty, but a win's a win. Took about three hours of leaving my GBA on (and plugged in to the charger, of course).

I am also happy to say that I've managed to procure a Dragon Lance from one of the Jura Aevises in the Castle (God bless the Thief Knife), so that should provide some extra offense against Shinryu. I've never made it this far in this game, so I'm pretty excited.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I just got past Twintania, the farthest I've ever made it in this game. I was NOT expecting Shinryu to be where he was, so I got wasted pretty quick because I went in unprepared. I shouldn't have too much trouble if I prep for it properly, as I've secured myself a Dragon Lance for my Dragoon, so I'm hoping Quick'd jumps combined with Dualcast Quick/Meteor then Meteor/Meteor will do the trick.

But :kimchi: at that Gilgamesh speech.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Shinryu is basically invincible to standard assaults. Since you have a Time Mage though, you can Quickleak him if you have a Poison Rod handy.

It's dirty, but I already did it to Omega, so, all right. I still have two or three poison rods left.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

My first attempt at taking down NED has ended with an Almagest wipe. We were able to deal with the first one because Dragoon was in the air at the time and blocked the next incoming attack, giving me time to Phoenix Down and dualcast raise a few people. The second time she was on the ground and was only able to get one person up before attacks and Flare took us out.

If I can avoid Almagest I should be okay. I may have to grind a little just to get my HP totals up a bit for the rest of the team. I don't have a way to reduce incoming Holy damage, to my knowledge. No shell or anything like that.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

It's over!

(Space background best background)

I missed the Fartz pile by a million years, but this is my first ever win of Final Fantasy V and my first ever Fiesta! :woop:

I also have my tripe crown pics as well!

Quality's not great, but wins are wins!

Now to just wait for my profile to update and I'll go again. Not sure what to run this time. I had a fair bit of magic this go around, so maybe No750, or just a regular run for a healthy mix.

Thanks for all your help, Fiestathread! :worship:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Maleketh posted:

A tripe crown sounds rather unpleasant. :v:

It was delicious!

Stupid typos. :v:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Kaasen posted:

Welp, omniscient turned out to be the worst fight of the game so far.

For future reference, Comet (and Meteor) bypass reflect.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Run #2 has started for me!

Okay.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

420 toss Gil every day, I guess. !Black6 and Rune Axe the 'Zerk. At least with no access to Float I still don't have to deal with the lava floors in the dungeon I don't really have to go to anymore.

I'm actually looking forward to it. Every fight will be a damage race.

I am going to have to murder so many wolves.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Cheez posted:

FF5-2, wherein Exdeath's baby takes revenge

Also Gilgamesh is a party member.

I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENED! GILGAMESH IS ADVENTURING WITH US!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I've so far been really enjoying my Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai run. I peeked at my jobs early, but I'm not at the Earth Crystal just yet. So far it's been a lot faster than Time/Red/Geo/Dragoon was, I think in part due to the sheer offensive power. I'm lacking in healing, though, so I'll be grinding for some flame rings before World 1 is over.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

With your setup, you don't really need any Flame Rings. You have enough offensive potential that Hi Potions will easily carry you through World 2. Just don't forget to bring along one or two Death Sickles, and you'll be fine.

I've got one Death Sickle already, and it wasn't too long a wait. I wasn't really planning on getting a second one, but I guess I could put Equip Axes on the Samurai if I needed more instant-death potential.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I am going to assume the answer is no, but I'll ask: If you put a command in the second slot of a Berserker that does a direct action, i.e. !Zeninage vs. a second menu of actions like !Black or !White, is there a chance the Berserker will select that action randomly, or does it only just Fight and nothing else?

I figure if it could randomly do something like !Zeninage or !Ianuki then that would be pretty cool, but if not, I'd rather stick to Shirahadori until I get the Rune Axe then switch to !Black6.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Poque posted:

No, it won't do any direct actions. !Black6 + Rune Axe wouldn't be very viable if the Berserker randomly decided to cast Ice instead!

That's what I figured, but I thought if it was just a thing that does the same thing all the time, like Ianuki, then he might just flip out and kill the whole screen at random, and that's be pretty sweet.

Thanks!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

My Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai run (Run #2) is prepared for the Rift. I ended up a much higher level than I did last time around, probably just because it was so much easier to murder the whole screen compared to my first run. I think I'm just going to go for NED and be done with it, and get ready for Run #3.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I've hit a wall against Twintania. Black/Zerk/Geo/Samurai... this is the first time I've encountered a boss that I can't race to death. Even Catastrophe sans-Float went down after two attempts. Everyone is level 40.

I've read that Twintania is vulnerable to instant death... will the Death spell eventually connect, or do I have to do try it through Death Sickles?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Huzzah! posted:

Another way to do it besides coral rings is don't attack him and wait for him to charge, chugging hi potions as needed, though you'd have to kill your berserker so he doesn't trigger any counters. Once he starts charging, start casting death at him, it should have an 80% chance to hit.

This worked. Thanks! I should have taken note of that book in Apanda's room. I didn't realize the vulnerability came during his charging phase. I was spamming Death on two characters while throwing money on the other and having the Zerk swing her axe around before and it wasn't working, and then my mages didn't survive long enough to get to Gigaflare.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

- Red Mage was a complete waste of space. The various -ara spells, even doubled up, were barely worth the time of using in most cases. !Doublecast mostly functioned for Raise+Cura and once or twice spamming Protect to get it out faster. By endgame, it was designated Hi-Potion/Exilir slinger. The lack of any sort of real magic damage (or healing or most of the status effects or...) made a lot of easier opponents much, much tougher.

Raise+Cura never worked for me because the raise effect wouldn't apply until after the dualcast action was over, meaning the cura was wasted.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I've finished run #2 with Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai.

I had to level up just a bit to beat NED, because I couldn't keep up with only one controllable character after eating Almagest, and I couldn't damage the part fast enough to prevent the first one from happening. Having a second person who could throw Elixirs around made the difference, and I was able to burn him down pretty quickly afterwards.

I finished it on a GBASP, so the pics are a little fuzzy.

I think I'm going to take a break from the Fiesta for a little while and explore the GBA bonus dungeon. I understand I need a few more jobs to do some of the puzzles. That's fine. I stayed on top of missable songs and summons... The only thing I didn't go out of my way to get was Blue magic, but I think all the best stuff can be found somewhere in World 3. (Uh oh! I might not get Aera!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I'm satisfied with my two runs this year, both successful. One triple crown, thanks to Time Mage, the other was just NED. This was the first time Fiesta-ing and the first time I ever managed to beat FF5. I think having only four jobs to choose from really helped streamline the game for me, because once they were all mastered I didn't have to grind JP anymore and I could just focus on the story, do I didn't have time to get bored or discouraged.

I couldn't donate this year, but hopefully next year I'll have a bit of money to give to charity. At least my runs helped to contribute in their own small way. :unsmith:

Well done, everyone!

• Locked thread