Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can reverse image search that to find the gallery with the other classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Geomancers aren't bad if you're in a regular game, but they're pretty weak under Fiesta rules.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I've had multiple Fiesta runs where !Gaia was my most consistent and damaging form of attack. Those were the darkest of times.

What were you running?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

So I've heard people here say that levels are the least important resource in FFV, or something like that. Why is that, I don't really get why you'd want to run all the time, it seems like that'd catch up with you unless you had an instant death trick for the bosses.

Most bosses can either be killed outright or shut down with the appropriate abilities. The generally recognized best Fiesta set up is Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, which doesn't really have any damage output for most of the game, but they have enough tricks to just walk all over everything. I've considered doing an LP with that party to show it off, but my current computer would probably die, and I'm not ready to replace it just yet. Anyone interested?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Poque posted:

Assuming I have the jobs necessary to equip them, I'd rather have Magus Rod, Sage Staff, Masamune, Apollo's Harp, and maybe Excalibur??? before the Dagger. I can't remember if Excal is really that useful but if I have another char that'll work well with the chicken knife then I'll take the Excal for a Knight over Brave Blade.

Excalibur is holy elemental, and there are a handful of enemies in the final dungeon that absorb holy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Prism posted:

It's been a while, and I'm not at home so I can't check right now, but isn't Flare not that bad... as sword magic?

Or does the massive bonus on the third tier elemental blades just stomp all over it too?

IIRC, you're better off using the -agas or holy against enemies that have a weakness. But if you're up against something strong without those weaknesses it's a good choice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's really no awful combination under the standard Fiesta rules. There are some that require a bit more patience or grinding than others, but that's really the worst you can say.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Poque posted:

You can make most anything work, it's just that some combos require more effort. My first run gave me Knight/Mystic Knight as my first two classes and the rest of the game basically required 0 effort.

In fact, the only combination that no one's ever reported beating the game with is one berserker and three dead teammates. And that's just because they got to NED and decided it was too dependent on luck to wait it out.

(Every job besides berserker has been used in that combo to finish the game. But as you might imagine, some of them are rather tedious.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I had an idea last year for a mode that fits somewhere between a standard and a natural run, and I thought I'd toss it out in case anyone else wants to give it a try. The basic idea is that you roll your party according to Gilgabot, and each character gets access to two jobs. The first is whatever they'd get under a natural run, and the second is your choice among what you've been assigned. This makes the game a little tougher than if each character could use all four jobs, but it's not quite as tedious as a strict natural run would be.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 23, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Jibo posted:

I'm pretty sure the point is to only pick from the jobs you are assigned.

Yeah. It's still a Fiesta run after all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

!red passes what little magic a red mage gets, giving the berserker rune axe/earth hammer access. !animals with geomancer magic power would be pretty drat nice healing for a long time. Once that tapers off you have rapid fire chicken knife on the geomancer.

But you could've had Knight/Blue Mage, Mystic Knight/Time Mage, Ninja/Bard and Samurai/Chemist instead, and you have to finish the game knowing that fact.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Collecting all twelve weapons or filling out your magic lists make reasonable challenges for some teams, but they're by no means mandatory.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Reasons to go past the Pyramid:

* You want to steal Mirage Vests from the enemies in the Island Shrine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

Now it unlocks all the jobs at the start of the game! :toot:

I wonder if that could actually make the early game tougher due to some jobs not getting any equipment until the end of the first world. What's the worst case scenario there?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Is it possible to make Berserk a command rather than a passive? Cause that would make the Berserker a lot more interesting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Omniscient is vulnerable to silence, so anyone with a Mystic Knight can just beat him to death with the Silence spellblade and he can't do anything to stop them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

If you're playing a mode that allows it and you get Blue Mage and Knight, Goblin Punch uses it's base 150 damage and ignores the run away stuff. Still worse than the chicken knife.

Goblin Punch uses a weapon's base strength and ignores scripts, so a Blue Mage with the Excalipoor is actually a pretty reliable damage dealer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm surprised that the Black Mage is more expensive than the Blue Mage. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I would've though that status effects are a lot more valuable than raw damage.

Edit: Same for Ninja vs. Bard.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Magic doesn't do anything for mystic knights other than give them more MP. The way spellblades work is if the enemy is weak to the spell's element, it ignores defense and does 2x, 3x, or 4x normal weapon damage damage based on the power of the spell.

Not only that, but some spellblade attacks are one-hit kills against enemies that aren't immune to instant death (like some bosses...).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Poque posted:

-aga spellblade is instakill on enemies with corresponding elemental weakness and no Heavy flag.

Bio and Holy as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

With 750 you're guaranteed to get a desirable job from the Wind crystal, which is going to go a long way towards improving your Fiesta experience.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I got to Omniscient before I got bored with how 4 berserkers runs.

How do you take on Omniscient with Berserkers?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are several glitches that were fixed in the iOS version that make it tougher for certain parties to beat certain bosses. If you really want to exploit the game's bugs, stick to the other versions.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Vhadka posted:

I bet I'll just get repeats because even RNG controlled by other people hates me.

This comes up every year, so it's worth going through the numbers to talk about repeats. If you have a Fiesta set up and you roll again, how many jobs will you tend to see duplicated?

There are 600 possible combinations of jobs under the classic rules. Of those, only 240 have no jobs in common with a given setup. That means that 60% of the time, you're going to see at least one repeat. The good news is that the probability of getting multiple repeats drops off pretty quickly. There are 248 combinations that have exactly one repeated job, 95 that have two, and only 16 that have three (and of course one that has four). So if you get more than two jobs in common with your last run, you're at least pulling off something unlikely. However, it's important to keep in mind that due to the sheer number of Fiesta runs, it's pretty likely that someone will experience that. And since you're comparing your current pull to all of your previous pulls, that drives up the odds of a repeat quite a bit.

You can do these calculations by hand, but this is a one-liner in R:
code:
table(apply(expand.grid(c(1, rep(0, 5)), c(1, rep(0, 4)), c(1, rep(0, 4)), c(1, rep(0, 3))), 1, sum))

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's good to know.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OzFactor posted:

Got him! I think the Ancient Sword did whatever it is it does so that probably helped. My last job is... Dragoon!

Anything interesting I can do with BM / MK / Bard / Dragoon?

In the late game, you can put Running Shoes on your Bard, sing Speed Song, and have your Dragoon and Mystic Knight hit things with Flare Sword or the appropriate elemental weakness. It doesn't even really matter what your Black Mage does at that point.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OzFactor posted:

Wait what are the rules when I only have three people and four jobs?

Use any three jobs you like (unless you're on a natural run, but why would you do that?).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Natural is a garbage mode. Don't do it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Does anybody else notice that they aren't even remotely trying to hide that Faris is a woman?

I think there was some discussion about it last year. But yeah, it really sticks out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mikl posted:

Since I registered for the fiesta I haven't touched the game (I had never played it before either). I'm planning to go in 100% blind. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad an idea is this?

Every year people play the game for the first time during the Fiesta and finish it successfully.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

You can beat the game at the default levels if you really wanted. Dr. Pepper did a great LP doing just that (would link but tablet posting).

Here it is. Note that a low level run requires more than four jobs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

I bet I could do a Low Level Fiesta as long as I got Bard and/or Chemist.

If you make a serious attempt at this, I'll match your job fair expenses and throw in an extra $50.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

GreatRedSpirit posted:

It's an LP done by elephantgun, you can read it in the archive (it's pretty good)

This is a great LP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I save rod breaking for Sol Cannon and Liquid Flame. But yeah, no guilt for those two.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It depends on your party set up, but you can always run.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Garula is the first big roadblock for half of the Wind Crystal jobs. He's not bad if you've got Knight, incredibly tedious if you've got White Mage, and utterly trivial if you've got Blue Mage. Otherwise you're going to suffer a bit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

blakelmenakle posted:

White Mage (and Red Mage) have access to Confuse magic, and Beastmaster has Control. Otherwise you're left with a Dancer trying to dance Tempting Tango or waiting until Moogle Village to get the Dancing Dagger.

Bard has a song that confuses every enemy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Haaa, I forgot that was the case.

Also, it's worth noting that the L1 Time Magic spell Drag/Speed (depending on your version) doesn't do anything except set your Battle Speed to 5 (the second slowest) for that battle. You know, something you could easily do in the menu between battles.

That spell is worthless, is what I'm saying.

That one definitely feels like they needed a third level one Time spell and had no idea what to put in there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Just swap the equipment between your left and right hands. As far as I know, that's completely reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

In a natural run, every character gets one job, with no access to secondary abilities. The entire point of the job system is that you can use secondary abilities. Natural sucks.

• Locked thread