Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
derra
Dec 29, 2012
I rolled a good party (BM TM Geo Chem) and am not worried about completing the game or the optionals, but is there any place the Geo gets to shine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Koobes posted:

How do I deal with Byblos with 4 Freelancers :gonk:

Break rods?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Figuring out how to do two damage to something with three health is part in the hilarious fun! :science:

Excalipoor?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Just beat W2 Exdeath.

... Star of the party was a Staff of Light WM Rapidfiring him for 2k a pop. Ugh.

WM RM Ranger Dancer has no chance at Omega, right? I shouldn't even pound my head against that.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
After a bit of farming, managed to get Triple Crown #2 with White / Red / Ranger / Dancer

Omega took a few tries but Rapid Fire + Chicken Knife, Running Shoes and Shell / Curaga / Esuna was all I ended up using.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Does using the Thief's Knife with Spellblade actually attempt a steal? Mug pops up but no fail/success message. GBA Version if it makes a difference.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Oh hey I haven't got Dragoon before. Thief/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon. I think I could do Shinryu/Omega with this team? Omega I just need !Calm, for Shinryu I might need to do something interesting.

You can berserk and blind Shinryu through Release so go in with Phoenix Downs and Running Shoes and you'll be fine.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mustard Iceman posted:

The team is assembled.

I think I'm going to have to farm Staffs of Light and get unbelievably lucky with the Killer Bow in World 2.

Then I'll get Hero's Rime and everything'll be all right.

Can I effectively cast Berserk on Shinryu, or will I need a Power Staff?

18 of my 24 Chaos jobs were Fire and/or Earth jobs (and 4 of the ones that weren't were Red Mages)... I thought this would be different but I still got two Fire jobs.

You can just cast it.

I had a similar team, Rapid Fire with a Staff of Light does decent damage to World 2 Exdeath; it's how I got over that hump.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Having access to Sleep/Toad/Protect/Raise isn't nothing, but it's pretty close.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Hermes Sandals, a Wonder Wand or Power Staff and a pile of Phoenix Downs always works for me against Shinryu, I don't know why you'd QuickVenom him, he can only take out one target at a time.

Any tricks on Archaeoavis with a 4 bard party? Adamantoise was difficult enough; right now I think I have to go out and grind a bunch of elixirs. Once I kill him I'm home free, but having just a Main Gauche and 3 Mage Mashers for damage is brutal.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

David Corbett posted:

The good news: I destroyed Shinryu. Slowly. :smug:

The bad news: Neo Exdeath absolutely crushed my team (WM/MK/GEO/SAM). Just what the heck do I need to do in order to beat him? I smashed Tree!Exdeath's face in and even had time to buff my team up before finishing him off, but I had absolutely no luck against the big bad himself. I'm at about Level 40... do I just need to do more level grinding?

(I hope the below picture is good enough. Shinryu doesn't really have a decent death animation, so I missed it entirely.)

Put Shells up in P1, then Blinks. You can Magic Lamp Odin on the back piece, and Break Sword the bottom right piece for instant kills. Zeninage is good at finishing off remaining pieces, Gaia with an Air Knife isn't terrible either. You can do all this from the back row too. Should be able to do that easily at 40. You could put Zeninage as your secondary on all your guys and just toss money with the occasional heal and win easy.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

At least you don't have to do the end of World 1 with four Bards.

I just had to do this.

Needed about 25 elixirs + level 30 for Adamantoise and Archaeoavis : (

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Bard/Bard/Samurai/Dancer. Yeehaw. At least it's... a free-ish triple crown? Some day?

Zerk @ Dual Wield, double Thor's Hammer, Crystal Helmet, Black Garb, Hermes Sandals
Samurai @ Dual Wield, Murakumo/Masamune, Crystal Helmet, Black Garb, Hermes Sandals
Ninja @ Mug, Chicken Knife/Sasuke's Katana, Black Cowl, Black Garb, Hermes Sandals
Thief @ Zeninage, Assassin's Dagger or Main Gauche (based on your not-physical-attacking proviso), Black Cowl, Black Garb, Hermes Sandals

Start farming Elixirs, Adamantoise and Archaeoavis are rough with 4 bards.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Black Mage / Ranger / Samurai / Chemist.

Triple Crown at 26. Mix is so broken.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I'd stock up on Turtle Shells - Comet can only go so far on offense.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Maleketh posted:

I disagree. It's not the ideal attack spell, but I found it quite handy on my first run up until I got Meteor.

It's not a bad spell by any means, but it's pretty much his only offense for all of world 2 without turtle shells, and then you'd have to stick Time on everyone as well. I'd much rather have 30-40 shells and Mix on some people.

Along those lines, a few Dark Matter for Death Potions can help a lot as well. I'm sure someone will correct me, but I see the crystals as being a rough fight with that group without Death Potions.

*EDIT* Beaten before the post even went out, ha.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I got Samurai / Dragoon x2 / Dancer for my latest run and I am functionally insane and want the triple crown.

I realize I will have to grind a bunch, but the way I see it is I have 4 ways to hit Omega past his evasion:

Jump with Trident (weak weapon but bypasses defense)
Chicken Knife (or other 95+ attack weapon) Sword Dance (should do damage since Sword Dance doubles A)
Trident Sword Dance
Katana Crit Swords Dance (Sword Dance can crit, crits ignore defense, should do high damage but only 1/8 chance of appearing at most).

Am I understanding these scenarios right? Jump and Sword Dance bypass his evasion, right? I think Trident Sword Dances would do the most consistent damage, but is it high enough to make it worth proccing counters?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, Sword Dance and Jump are both auto-hit (so ignore evade). You've got the advantage of being able to spread out Equip Ribbons if you really need to, as well.

Going over your offensive options, you've got the following:

CK Sword Dance: 104 effective attack power, double M (you can use Carbybot in IRC to compute this)
Trident Jumps: 72 effective attack power, double M
Trident Sword Dance: same as Jumps, but loses Equip Ribbons and thus is less reliable
Murakumo Crit Sword Dances: 20% chance on top of 25% chance, 234 effective attack power, double M

CK sword dancing is probably the most reliable, but the Murakumo dancing would be the most powerful if you can get good streaks running.

You'll definitely need to level into the upper 70s, though, and will need an ocean of elixirs.

Yep! Blind sets his accuracy to 25%, and you can even further trivialize it with mirage vests, !Image, Blink, etc.

Poor dargon.

Thanks for looking this over. I've killed Omega with no good defensive options before beyond equip ribbons, but at least I had Wonder Wand Shell to better my odds against Encircle and Rapid Fire for consistent offense.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I wouldn't wish Adamantoise with 4 Bards on my worst enemy.

I mean, it's far from the cruelest challenge, but having to farm Elixirs to kill Adamantoise of all bosses is really insulting.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Crazy Triple Crown guy here with Sam / Dragoon x2 / Dancer update:

Farmed up 2 Dragon Lances, 2 rare Aegis Shields (didn't wanna do Fork with this team), 99 elixirs and level 61 and figured I'd give Omega a try.

It wasn't that bad at all, 1 shot him although I got pretty lucky blocking Encircle. I thought the CK Dancer would be the primary damage source but the consistency of Trident Jump did most of the damage in the mid 3k's. Took 30 elixirs but I'm used to where you can sneak in attacks and when you want to heal on Omega.

Shinryu died to a damage race (the two Dragoons were actually very useful) and NED died with a bunch of money in his face. Triple Crown 14 down!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Tortolia posted:

Finally got earth crystal unlocked. Final party is Thief, White Mage, Mystic Knight and, uh, Berserker.

What should I aim the Berserker to have for his secondary slot?

And is there any hope for Omega/Shinryu with this lot?

Least I can load the MK up with Genji gear and 420 chicken Mug erry day on the Thief. AOE is a pipe dream though.

Yeah Shinryu is easy but you don't have offensive magic that hurts Omega nor a way around his evasion. You can get by his defense with the Mystic Knight but unless you want to reset until you get 6 hits through 95% evasion before you run out of elixirs you're out of luck there.

EDIT Yeah each rank gives you more.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Seravadon posted:

Does the Rune Chime raise the damage of Holy by 50%? I looked on a final fantasy wiki and it just says it raises all elements but Water. The magus rod on the same site specifically says it doesn't raid water AND holy magic...

Edit: Also is there a good way to take on Omega with White Mage - Berserker - Geomancer - Time Mage? Can he be berserked like Shinryu can?

Equip a Reflect Ring on someone and a Venom Rod on your Time Mage. Cast Quick, then Break the Venom rod on the reflect person, and just sit there.

Omega will die ... eventually.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bregor posted:

White Mage / Black Mage / Ninja / Monk

Just downed Shinryu, and thinking Omega is nigh impossible. Can avoid Rocket Punch on WHM and BLM with Lamia's Tiaras, and NIN or MNK with Bone Mail (I'm not rare stealing a 2nd one with the Thief Knife). Flame Rings on everyone will help. Otherwise I just have to get extraordinarily lucky right? Or should I even bother?

Can't you reflect 3 people and cast Thundagas to avoid Rocket Punch alltogether? Should do good damage so you wouldn't have to survive that long. I'd wear Hermes instead of Reflect rings, in the first couple of turns concentrate on putting up some reflects / healing with elixirs then burst him down once set up?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bregor posted:

Yeah I put up Reflect for bouncing Thundagas, but I was just getting too many Mustard Bombs and Encircles to really make much headway. I'd rather just process this team and move on.

Oh I hear you, I know I'm more stubborn on this than most. It was my understanding that if you only cast 3 reflects, so one of your characters gets hit, he doesn't counter at all, so you take out mustard bomb &encircle completely.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bregor posted:

gently caress YEAH GOT EM

Not having to deal with the counters is really helpful!

Grats! Glad to help!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

...Cut it a little close on the most recent run. Was only level 24/25, so relied on one guy blocking two Almaghests to even get that far, and since I was such a low level, I couldn't use Zeninage for actual damage, and my Meteors didn't spread out their damage enough and I ate one of his. Chose to be a man and Quick/Meteo/Meteo instead of trying to heal, and it paid off.

Triple Crown with Quickleak and Power Staff, too.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Mystic Knight, Ninja, Ranger, Dragoon done.

Triple Crown was pretty easy but this group was my first without any caster, having options for spreading abilities were limited throughout the game, and the best ability to spread around (Rapid Fire) took so much AP to learn.

derra fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 26, 2015

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

Monk, Summoner, Black Mage, Ranger

Playing on mobile. Is there an easy way to beat Shinryu nd/or Omega?

And for neoexdeath, am I better off with Hermes shoes or flame rings so I can actually heal outside of items?

Berserk Shinryu with the Wonder Rod and use Golem every time he hits - it will absorb one attack. Concentrate on getting up anyone who does go down.

Omega is doable with a bit of luck, but attempts should be fast. Wear Lamia's Tiaras on the Mages. Hermes Sandals on all. Fastest person casts Carbuckle, then everyone else reflects split target Thundaga on the party. Hopefully the counter punches hit the mages, who fail to get confused. Its a damage race to kill him before the 2nd Wave Cannon; an elixir or two by the fastest guy might help. Shouldn't take too long before you get a good attempt.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Instead of Chicken Dancing, I'd equip one sap with a reflect ring and bounce Thundagas off him. Two people with Hermes Sandals and Romeo, one with Hermes and black (maybe even time for Quick, but shouldn't be necessary), one with reflect ring and at least black to help out once in a while.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
20 runs done, 20 triple crowns (3 normal to warm up, 17 chaos).

Don't think I'll have time to do another, so that's a wrap.

This is the first time I tried this challenge, and I really appreciated the focus that restricting bosses gave me, and figuring out timings and strategies, especially on Omega with teams that don't trivialize him. My last run was Blue / Ranger / Ranger / Samurai, and managed to get him at 37, whereas I would have leveled to high 50's before trying him earlier in my runs.

Never got Monk or Thief. Game threw Rangers at me.

Most runs, Crystals to Pyramid drags the most. Having nothing but Bards up to the Earth Crystal was realllllly painful that one run.

Favorite Classes are Black and White Mages. While neither can triple crown by themselves, they both handle a lot of crap out of the box. Honorable mention to Dancers (Equip Ribbon and Rainbow Dresses rock), Bard in World 2+, Ninja with a magic job for an actual Magic stat.

Most "overhyped": Mystic Knight. Was excited to get them, but they didn't impress like the other heavy hitters. Beside some uses of Sleep and Break Blade, I feel that they make easy fights easier but don't contribute to harder fights until you have Flare Sword, at which the game is pretty much over.

I think my favorite run was Black / Summoner / Summoner / Geo. Black + Summoner is ridiculously strong, just that combination alone made up for the duplicate class + geomancer.

Was a lot of fun!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Vil posted:

Two in W3; if you're going to Istory Falls for the one in the chest, you might as well bump off Leviathan and get the one he drops too.

You can also Thief Knife more of them in Phoenix Tower if you're really desperate, for almost any setup. (Setups with bona fide Thieves can, of course, just steal them in Exdeath's Castle in the first place.)

Really, getting them as drops is primarily useful for mid W2 to early W3. Which mostly boils down to the crystals, Exdeath, and (maybe) Melusine.

I always preferred stealing in Phoenix Tower. Not only is it quicker than getting a drop, the other things you can snatch sell for money to get you to your Hermes and armor in Phantom. Always seemed more efficient than farming them as a rare drop.

Then again, I have had to do some pretty desperate things to beat W2 Exdeath...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bufuman posted:

I want to know how AxelRyman did 26/26 triple crown runs. I'm assuming he had to Job Fair more than a few runs; getting assigned a Triple Crown capable team for that many runs would require astronomical luck, and I don't think any amount of leveling would let you overcome Omega with a normal team, given that most of its attacks are percentage-based.

I did 20/20 triples; some were more annoying than others but really all that is necessary is SOMETHING (Black, Time, Summon, Dance, Jump, Rapidfire, Mix off the top of my head), that can hurt him and enough elixirs. Between 4 classes you'll probably get something; I didn't job fair anything.

Shinryu isn't a particular problem.

• Locked thread