Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
LPer's choice because lord knows I'm bad at deciding my own party comps. Tidehunt is fine too.

As for a character:

Ben - Zodiac, portrait 3, palette 2

Not much is known about Benjamin "Ben" Ballad, other than the fact that he enjoys nothing in the world more than sudden, violent explosions. His attempts at learning Alchemy were quickly dashed after succeeding in detonating two university labs and a library during his studies, effectively blacklisting him from the trade permanently. Discouraged, but not defeated, Ben pursued studies as a Zodiac, finding not only a natural talent for it, but also that pyrotechnics produced from the cosmos are far bigger and noisier than those produced from simple earth chemicals. He's very recently found joy in making the various monsters hiding within the Labyrinth explode in bright, vibrant colors, so he set his sights on exploring it with a rag-tag guild of adventures. "Trust me guys", he often says, "bigger enemies just mean bigger explosions!" Despite his frankly dangerous fascination with explosions, Ben isn't unpleasant to be around; he's generally very amicable and enjoys making jokes (even if his jokes tend to consist of standard sayings reworded in very roundabout fashions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The biggest problem I can see with LP'ing EO1 is that there's not a lot of room for varying up content from update to update. Even once you get Ronin and Hexer access halfway and 2/3 into the game, respectively, the class variety is really limited compared to later EO games, and the 10 level penalty for Resting combined with how hard it is to efficiently grind in EO1 massively discourages using different builds for different situations--you're pretty much always going to go for the same skills on any given class from run to run.

As such, there's not a lot you can do to introduce variety from update to update--you only have 6 classes up until the 3rd stratum, and there's not a lot of variety inherent in the Labyrinth itself. Contrast with EO3, where we have 10 classes available from the start, with the 2 unlockable classes bringing the total count up to 12 classes. Even a theoretical LP of EO4, which has the same number of classes available at the start as EO1, with 3 unlockables, would have more variety from update to update--the sidequests in EO4 are a lot more varied than in EO1, and the airship exploration + minor labyrinth system differentiates similar-looking sections of the game.

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 23, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But we already killed the Overlord. :v:

I mean, by this point, how many god figures has EO had? Aside from EO1, every final boss and superboss (Ur-Child and Ur-Devil excepted depending on how you interpret them) is basically a god.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Captain Bravo posted:

You said that Yggdroid can't be taken as a subclass. Can Shogun?

Yep. There's not much you'd want to sub into Shogun for, though.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

That was a joke post. Actual update is coming later.

You sure about that? It quite aptly summarizes trying to actually use an Yggdroid.

Fun Yggdroid anecdote: I tried an Yggdroid/Buccaneer one time, when I hadn't played much EO and still didn't understand a lot about maximizing a class's potential, with my express intent being to use it as a Pincushion bot because, and I'm not kidding, I thought Yggdroid STR would outweigh their rock-bottom AGI.

It didn't.

Rea fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 19, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

Yeah, I... wow. It really seems like you get a Yggroid not to actually be effective but... create some gimmick party of three of them, each of which drops a bot in the back ranks?

That's pretty much what you have to do if you want to get the full effectiveness out of Bots.

There was a crazy guy in the main EO thread who ran through the entirety of EO3 with a solo Yggdroid. It did involve a lot of RNG manipulation, but it's still impressive.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Rawkking posted:

I last played this game waaay too long in the past to remember why what happened just happened.

Gatekeeper always opens with Souha Stance followed by Tenchi Souha Sho.

Theantero posted:

Oh so a puzzle boss?

Gatekeeper's not so much a puzzle boss as a gimmick boss, for reasons not demonstrated during that brutal slaughter.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
If Books are a 1% drop chance, and Alice proccing instant death was 3% or so, you had a 0.03% chance of that event occurring.

As someone whose luck with random chance in every game, not just EO, is historically godawful, I hate you so much. :mad:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Susan, Faye, and Cassandra.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

nrook posted:

Susan, Rose, Sidney

Earlier you mentioned that other than the amazing portraits, Princess doesn't have much to recommend it over just taking Princess as a subclass, because its class skill is mediocre. But surely the selling point of the class is its good defensive stats and heavy armor, right? A healer who isn't likely to die randomly is pretty useful.

The problem with using Sovereigns (the name for Princes/Princesses since EMD) as healers in EO3 lies with EO3's healing formula:

quote:

A = TEC - ((Level * 0.63)+5.28)

if(A <= -15), B = 1
if(-15 < A < 15), B = 2 + sin(A / 10)
if(15 <= A), B = 3

Heal amount = (TEC * B) * (skill power ÷ 100)

The gist of that mess of math is that, in order to be an effective healer, a character needs to have a pretty high TEC value relative to their level. Monks possess this quality and are, by design, pretty much always going to have a TEC multiplier of 3, but Sovereigns don't and are usually stuck with 2 + sin(A / 10).

Don't forget Form Qi, either.

Additionally, being more defense-oriented can actually really badly hamper a healer due to how more defensive equipment tends to incur pretty bad action speed penalties. Heavy armor and shields, both of which Sovereigns can equip, both give negative action speed penalties.

Rea fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 19, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
e: I completely misinterpreted something

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 19, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Here's a bunch of art stuff for Shoguns from the EO3 artbook, because why not:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Second time's the charm, no?

Name: Charlotte
Portrait: 2, palette 1

Charlotte insists that she's the child of Etrian nobles, taken and raised by the Duchy of High Lagaard due to "ancient dragon powers."

...she was raised by people from Lagaard, that much is true. However, everything else is patently false; she was raised by a well-off but not noble family after having been adopted from an orphanage. From an early age, Charlotte demonstrated an aptitude for tactics: she would routinely best her adoptive father at chess, and preferred studying archives of maps and battle plans to language and mathematics. She's terse in communication and not that fantastic with numbers, but her ability to pinpoint even the smallest weak point in an enemy's strategy is only matched by Lagaard's highest military minds. Her actual combat abilities are less than ideal, but still passable enough that she could realistically participate in a battle while also leading it.

Charlotte's also an absolute sucker for romance. Not a quality you'd exactly expect in someone well-versed in military tactics, but she is absolutely enamored with seeing other people fall in love. She routinely tries to play matchmaker for people who are close to her, and keeps a massive journal of the current happenings between the would-be couples...which also consists of her eavesdropping in on their conversations. She even rates the current status of each of her gambits, giving them ranks of C to S. She believes fully in something she calls "the power of bonds;" essentially an idea that soldiers who feel affection for one another perform better on the battlefield than those trained to be mindless drones of war. Whether her fascination with romance is derived from this philosophy or the other way around is up for debate.

Charlotte began her career as an explorer training as a Ronin in Etria; however, the profession lacked two crucial things for her. The first was a focus on cooperating with one's allies; the other was modest clothing. She wasn't that big a fan of the chestwraps that seemed to be common among Ronin her age. She eventually travelled to Armoroad, where she studied to be a Shogun, finally finding a profession she excelled at. However, she found herself out of work for a long while, due to the Senatus's strict rules about what guilds could recruit Shoguns. A commander without an army is akin to a brain without a body, after all. Months passed, almost a year, before word reached her of a guild finally authorized by the Senatus to recruit Shoguns: Guild Tidehunt. An excellent opportunity...after all, she'd already been studying Tidehunt's members while at the Butterfly Bistro.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
While we wait for the Shogun results, I looked in the Extra section of the EO3 artbook, and felt that everyone should witness the majesty of this panel from a comic in that section:

I don't know what's better, the complete contrast in style between the War Magus and Gunner, the ice cream with a snowman face on top of the War Magus's staff, or the fact that Gunners apparently consider just taking off their jackets swimwear

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So it would seem!

seems like writing that instead of finishing up the rough draft of my stats project at midnight was a good use of my time

holy poo poo

(I did finish it after posting Charlotte)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Who said they were just honorable mentions? ;)

So what boss are we going to see demolished by Warrior Might? :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hivac posted:

imagine a game with blood lance and also medical miracle

What if your Medic is the one the Shogun mercy kills, though? :v:

alcharagia posted:

I don't need to imagine it, it's coming in 2016 as Etrian Odyssey Untold 3: Ricky and Fafnir's Bogus Adventure.

(it's just an illustration Himukai drew for fun but still)

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

RareAcumen posted:

Also, I have only just noticed that Shogun portraits are not them standing with a fist against their side while their other hand rests on the hilt of their katana but instead that both hands are on a katana hilt.

I had to look at the artbook illustrations to realize that. The sprite versions kind of make the gloves indistinct from the hilts.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

alcharagia posted:

But seriously, the next EO game should include Fafnir, Monk, and subclassing so that I can make an F/M and do a solo run with that character for the true God Hand experience.

How would Fafnir even work in a game without the EO2U Force system?

Unless Transform becomes a Limit that anyone can use...actually you know what, that sounds loving cool as poo poo, make it happen, Atlus.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

alcharagia posted:

NO MORE NO MORE GIVE ME NO GAMES POWER GIVE ME NO MORE POWER GAMES and Bloody Fight starts playing over itself five times in true Guile's Theme fashion.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8974580/ow.wav

I don't have Line-In recording for a few days (this laptop doesn't have a Line-In port) so I couldn't put in NO MORE GAMES but enjoy it anyway

Rea fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 22, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hivac posted:

just listening to this staring into space with a smile and oh jesus christ what just happened to the right channel

ragnar i think your abomination just tried to murder my headphones

That was literally maybe 45 seconds of work in Audacity with the extent of my editing being reducing the volume of every track so idk how channel-based fuckery could've happened

I probably could've lowered the volume of the PC-88 version a bit

e: oh

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8974580/ow_nmg.wav

The USB audio recording functionality of my 3DS capture card's a piece of poo poo, but in any case:

Bloody Fight x5, now with NO MORE GIVE ME GAMES POWER

I could've been working on my next update this entire day, I even have the footage ready, but instead I'm doing this

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

GeneralYeti posted:

I was exploring a GameStop this afternoon (hey, Black Friday is coming up and I have cash that hasn't been spent yet.) and I saw a EOU2 box. I take a closer look at the gameplay image on the back and noticed that one of the characters was named 'Atlus'. Heh.

The in-game tutorials show a Fafnir named "Atlus" as well. I think the back of the EOU box has pictures with the Highlander named "ATLUS" as well, with the tutorials showing "Hero."

The back of the EOU box also shows Frederica being named "Ricky" which really confused me the first time I looked at it after having played the game

and yes I'm the guy who for some reason has every EO game on cartridge (the only game I don't have the box for is EO2)

Rea fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 22, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have no idea.

I am the loving master of wasting time on stupid poo poo, a skill I honed well in the latter parts of high school.

All I have to show for my next update are GIFs of EO2U Attack Order and Volt Rounds and 19 screenshots. :v:

Rea fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 22, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Now we just need people covering EOU, PQ, and EMD. :v: (Oh goodness, I would not wish the latter two on anybody)

I am genuinely considering LP'ing PQ sometime after I finish EO2U (well, if I finish EO2U) because while Inaba Pride, the majority of the game's writing, and some really baffling decisions with character balance drag the game down quite badly, it still does have some good things in it!

Even if one of the biggest things is just the soundtrack.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Supremezero posted:

On that note, it is now Laser Beam time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imI4gZOS7OQ

I think it was alcharagia who said that PQ's greatest sin was having the best normal boss fight music in the entire EO series and only using it 3 times.

I wouldn't say it's PQ's greatest issue but it's certainly up there.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

AmewTheFox posted:

Personally, I liked the Circle skills. I hope they return if/when EO5 happens. A bit more balanced of course, and an associated damage skill that makes sense. (what is the actual point of Summon Ghost/Demon?)

Circles were in EO4, too, and had damage skills that made sense; they had Dismiss Blow and Dismiss Blast, which would cancel the current Circle and deal untyped damage to one/every enemy. I don't entirely understand how PQ regressed in terms of how to use them. I guess summoning ghosts/demons makes sense in the context of SMT, but still.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 22, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Honestly my biggest beef with PQ's story is that the Persona part does not matter in the slightest. I've said before that you could replace the main cast aside from Zen and Rei with normal Etrian Odyssey characters (ie. ones the player creates) and the plot would barely change at all. In fact it'd actually make more sense given Zeus.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
So are Battle in the Clock Tower and The Infinite, but I still associate the former with a boring loving 40 turn long fight and the latter with panicking the Clockwork God on the 2nd turn and then just Myriad Arrowsing him to death.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mind you, she and Rise still tell you enemy weaknesses and resistances practically every turn, when not to attack an enemy that's about to counterattack, when an FOE that you're looking at is close, etc.

Don't forget boss battles too! Especially the loving Merciful Clergyman fight.

I think the only in-battle dialogue/banter I liked in PQ was during the Captor Spider fight; I was fighting it for the first time, and it regrew one of its legs. Shinjiro then shouted "Are you making GBS threads ME?!" with probably the most emotion in any line I've heard from him, in both P3 and PQ. He mirrored my thoughts pretty exactly :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I wonder how much of my EO3 time on my 3DS is distributed between King Penguin/the later exploit grinding, and how much of my EO4 time is killing golden sheep (and later golden alligators + golden mantises). :v:

Would writing an AutoHotkey script or something along the likes of that be feasible, or does Desmume react badly to that?

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 24, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Supremezero posted:

We will not blame Fetus for cheating to get Charlotte up to par.

But Charlotte would!

Given the friend of mine whom I based Charlotte on, and her Fire Emblem habits...no. She really wouldn't. :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

alcharagia posted:

I donno guys, 40% HP/30% TP/70% Strength/40% Technique/70% Agility/25% Vitality/10% Luck might work out, but I think we might have better luck benching her and waiting for the next Myrmidon the game throws at us.

She's the last Myrmidon we get though! Do we have any options besides cheating in the 90/0/90/40/10/90/5 robot that can't support with anyone?

:v:

Speaking of robots, here's some stuff about Olympia from the EO3 artbook so this post isn't just piggybacking off another joke:

Rea fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 24, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Looking at the sketches of Olympia actually made me realize...did no-one really notice the metallic bits of her chassis or her goddamn robot spine when she was masquerading as an explorer? They're pretty clearly visible through her cloak.

also I'm glad Himukai opted out of the empty eyes for Olympia because good lord those are creepy

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I was mostly referring to the explorers she killed in-game, not people in the thread. Whoops.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Actually it's even worse than permadeath; if we assume Charlotte is the commander of the party/army, the most fragile party member has the same "game over if killed" flag that most Lords (and Robin) do. :v:

F-Faye... Everyone... I'm sorry...

Charlotte, NO! You can't die here! OPEN YOUR EYES!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The only way to alleviate the grinding...

is to sacrifice one of your party members. Which only saves like one or two King Penguin kills. But yeah, that's pretty much the only way to make sure they aren't entirely left behind. EO4 handled it a lot better. The Untold games flat out got rid of the concept of unlockable classes. They weren't even that much of a spoiler back in the first two games. The EO1 and 2 websites told you all about them and exactly what they could do.

A Ronin and Hexer are even on the back of the goddamned box and mentioned quite a bit in the manual of the US version of EO1. I don't know why Atlus thought making them unlockable classes made sense at all; at the very least, they could've given the player Ronin and Hexer much earlier than the 3rd and loving 4th Strata.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Scott, Sidney, and Charlotte.

My most recent EO3 run involved a Buccaneer, Arbalist, Shogun front line from the 4th stratum on. I don't remember every detail about it, but I do remember the front line being squished incredibly easily. On the other hand, they tore through everything incredibly easily when they weren't dead. :v:

(that's my excuse for voting in my own character anyway)

Also I just noticed there's a couple of instances after the King Penguin exploit demo where the Harbormaster's portrait is just plaintext reading "Pharbormaster"

Rea fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 26, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, now I know I couldn't play this game.

I'd flip out every time I saw "Swordfishs" :v:

Atlus USA sadly doesn't take the time to add in proper battle messages for a lot of stuff. "Venomflys," "Haggiss," etc. (that last one is supposed to be a plural of "Haggis"). There's also EO1 and 2, where the game always says "Monsters have appeared!" when starting a fight with multiple enemies...even if you aren't fighting monsters, like the Ren and Tlachtga fight from EO1 and the Artelind and Wilhelm fight from EO2. Can't forget "Defeated the Ren!," "Defeated the Artelind!," etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
No mercy.

All ants must suffer (especially after EOU).

• Locked thread