Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

And that organization was "FIFA"

Yeah on a fundamental level it was FIFA officials doing the old kickback scheme for everything from broadcast to merchandizing rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

Wow. If he's got any dirt on Blatter at all, he's going to roll

It's how the US DOJ broke the mob, you start out the bottom of the organization and slowly chew your way to the top.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

Wait, I hadn't been following this thread, this is a RICO case? Holy poo poo. I'm not sure if FIFA even realizes how much trouble they are in.

It's all due to how the indicted people used US banks to move around the bribe money and had meetings to collect bribe money the old fashioned way.

Putin's oligarch allies also had a extensive bribe campaign to get a Russia world cup which included things like gifting a Picasso to high level FIFA official:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/01/putin-s-world-cup-picasso-bribe.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

axeil posted:

Any chance Nike is gonna get hit with FCPA for that?

For those not in the know, FCPA is the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act which makes it extremely illegal to bribe foreign officials (even if the bribe is legal in that country). It's pretty much the worst thing for a company to get smacked with short of RICO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Corrupt_Practices_Act

If FCPA applies it could get fairly nasty, although there hasn't been any real big landmark case that I know about.

Most of the time FCPA just ends be settled with a big fine, it's a really painful to company like Nike that has multi-billion dollar net worth.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

That's the best part, and what makes this extra hilarious.

Still hard to beat how Warner used a Onion article as evidence for the US conspiracy theory.

Also claimed he had a medical emergency when he got indicted but a day later was dancing wildly at a political rally.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

massively organised sports are always corrupt - there's no reason to doubt that 1998 or 1994 were exempt from corruption

some bribes and stuff must be accepted. the problem comes when kickbacks are the only reason things happen, like 2022

Countries like Qatar also sent economic aid to the Caribbean bloc to round up some extra votes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Jack Warner isn't just rolling on FIFA to the DOJ, he's doing it to the world. :allears:

Oh, and the FBI are now going after not only Qatar's world cup, but Russia's as well. :getin:

At this rate I don't think it would be unseasonable to demand that this gets played at the beginning of every soccer match in the world. :haw:

"It is very difficult for some to digest that an Arab Islamic country has this tournament, as if this right can't be for an Arab state," he told Reuters in an interview in Paris. "I believe it is because of prejudice and racism that we have this bashing campaign against Qatar."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

I feel like the Boston bid is the USOC's token attempt to feign interest. No sane community wants to host the Games now, so get used to them being used as schemes to line the pockets of oligarchs. The Sochi Games will look quaint in another twenty years.

Yeah any city with half a brain should be glad to not win the Olympics given all the problems it causes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Ours (2002 winter) actually went off pretty well. At least it got us better mass transit. I think SLC is actually one of the main "fallback" sites since we still have everything. Speedskating oval, ski jumps, etc. So if there's some kind of natural disaster or other thing that makes a winter games fall through they can rehost here in short order.

It was actually pretty neat having them here, but I think all the bribes the bidding process was a bit less ridiculous back in the 90's when we got them.

Only a related hilarious note, the SLC did have a bribe for votes scandal involving 2 IOC members and the SLC Olympics committee so it's just not countries like Russia trying the scheme.

Mitt Romney got hired as a result and was fairly successful at rounding enough money from mormon businessmen to fund the games in addition to 1.4 billion dollars in federal funding for the games.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I never even knew that they built entire new stadiums every single time until the last world cup. That's so mind-bogglingly crazy to me.

well most of it due to how most places don't have huge stadiums.

The 1994 world cup at the US didn't have to build new stuff but on the flip side it meant teams had to travel all over the country for the games.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

They never used to build new stadiums, and in fact used to only entertain bidders who already had decently sized grounds already.

Then Fifa officials started giving world cups to countries that needed massive building projects then heavily pushed said countries into using the services of their relatives.

probably because big projects provides more kickback fun for all involved parties.

FIFA/IOC also loves making countries grovel, we need a special lane so our officials won't have to be stuck in traffic or use mass transit like everyone else.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

I don't even know why it was released in theater in the US considering it went for straight to DVD release in Europe and no one cared.

The free screener in LA had two people in the audience.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Also remember that this mess is the result of two separate investigations that found they were investigating the same people: an IRS effort on Warner for tax evasion, and an FBI investigation of Russian organized crime.

FIFA being smarter about bribes may have warded off that first one, but if FIFA really is in bed with the Russian mafia I doubt any amount of being smarter about bribery would have helped.

It's also just not mafia, all the putin aligned oligarchs also had a extensive campaign to win votes for the world cup which include things like giving away art.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

The bribery wasn't really the problem with Warner as far as being found out. It was not paying anything to the IRS. A separate luxury apartment for your cats is going to catch the eye of the IRS when you haven't filed poo poo with them. If Warner had just done the normal corrupt gently caress thing and hired a tax lawyer it would have been all good. He could have even put down his income as "Taking bribes like you wouldn't even believe. I mean, fuuuuuckloads of bribes." and the IRS would have been fine with it. The IRS will never give a poo poo as long as they're getting their piece.

You are getting Warner mixed with Chuck Blazer.

Blazer was the one who got caught since he made the Wesley Snipes mistake

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

You're right. However it's my understanding that Warner and the other North/South American officials wouldn't even have been on the IRS investigative radar if Blazer weren't such a dumbass.

Even more hilarious how during the trail Blazer said he used the don't pay taxes strategy as a way to not attract US government attention.

It's mainly because a majority of his earnings for the year were from kickback payments, so don't taxes is the best way to trick the IRS.

This is a place that gave me a angry letter since my reported vs filed earnings were off by $5 last year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

Sepp Blatter may seek to stay as Fifa president, source tells Swiss paper

The Asian and African football unions have pleaded with Blatter to stay on as Fifa boss. :lol:

I guess that answers the question who cast the most yes to Blatter ballots during the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

If someone at FIFA said "hey I can give you evidence that lets you nail the IOC to the wall but I want a sweet plea deal" they're going to get it. Maybe Obama and others care enough about the Olympics to not want to destroy the IOC but even if that's the case I strongly suspect that'll change after Rio if/when Olympians contract a bunch of nasty illnesses since the water in the competition area is basically sewage.

A athlete who was doing test runs in preparation for the Brazil summer olympics got a bad case of flesh eating bacteria.

SlipUp posted:

God drat, RICO is some pretty deep poo poo to be in.

RICO was so devastating to the mob since it focuses on peeling organization bottom to top using incentives such as plea bargains or immunity.

• Locked thread