Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

The All-Star line is resurrected for Section Eight :D

Does this take place on 90s DC Earth or All-Star Earth with the God drat Batman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
"DC Comics announced via USA Today Monday morning eight new miniseries debuting in 2016 that has the goal to "freshen up and contemporize" some classic characters, according to co-publisher Dan DiDio."

Swamp Thing by writer Len Wein
Metal Men by writer Len Wein
Raven by writer Marv Wolfman
Firestorm by writer Gerry Conway
Katana: Cult of the Kobra by writer Mike W. Barr
Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life & Death by writer Amy Chu[/b]
Metamorpho by writer Aaron Lopresti[/b]
Sugar & Spike by writer Keith Giffen

....what

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Dunbar posted:

I'm trying to come up with a title I want to read less than a Telos solo book and I can't do it.

Magog solo book

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nothing really ended up ignoring continuity did it? Other than JL and JLA happening 'sometime' to avoid the current day status quos. (e: and JL3K, but that was already a thing.)
Maybe Bizarro had some incongruous stuff.

Section 8

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

I choose not to believe this. Because DC can't be that dumb to wait until the last minute to decide if it's a reboot or not. There's no way.

You must be new to DC

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly I would not mind a reboot. I hate too many things about the NU DCU to ever accept it.

Their have been so many examples of misused characters, pointless and dumb changes to characters and just plain missing the point.

For example even if the Phantom Stranger story was good, I can't tolerate the fact that they utterly missed the entire point of the character (Namely that nothing is supposed to be known about his background.) Lobo is a similar example of missing the point and unlike Phantom Stranger they did not even make a decent book to back up their change.

I still don't know a single person that likes Nu Lobo.

New 52 was like the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. They completely misunderstood what made the characters cool. Now just like Lucasfilm did with the Force Awakens, its time to sweep this garbage out and restore the true canon.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

C'mon now. There was one good thing in the prequels (podracing) and there were at least eight times that many good comics in the N52 (G.I. Zombie #1-8)

e: Nine times. Forgot there was a Futures End issue.

I never liked Pod Racing and I don't understand why people are so in love with it. It was super cartoony and out of place. I mean I get Lucas wanted to do a homage to Ben Hurr but it could have been executed a lot better by featuring a teenage or older Anakin, something more akin to the swoop bikes and a tone less like Wacky Races.

There was some stuff in the N52 I liked and for the record I'm always pro reboot. I just think that A)There should be planning done to make sure there aren't major continuity issues (especially in the first month of the relaunch!) B) Quality creative teams with some freedom to tell their stories and C) The iconic elements of the character shouldn't be hosed around with too much. A good example of reboots done right was the Valiant Comics relaunch and to a lesser extent the first few years of the Ultimate Universe.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Dunbar posted:

Turns out the New 52 was in Multiverse-2 all along.

I would not be at all surprised if they do something like this. They have done it plenty of times before.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
So is there not going to be a Justice League #52? Seems kind of weird considering it was the flagship book of the line. DC is gonna keep being DC I guess...

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

DrProsek posted:

This reboot will be the New 51. Each month, DC will reboot with 1 fewer launch title until eventually we're just down to the New Batman.

(JL52 is probably going to be the big issue that launches or heralds Rebirth so it will probably go our early June, and then the rest of June will be Rebirth)

Seems like they should have extended The Darkseid War for 2 more issues then considering the whole fight with the anti-monitor could have concluded with a big universal shakeup. The current rumor is that in June no book has a number and instead just has Rebirth at the end so Batman Rebirth, JL Rebirth, etc. and then new #1s in July

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I hope the rumor about Marc Silvestri becoming creative lead over Batman is true. I want to see more 90s Image guys working on DC books.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Rhyno posted:

Superman AA #4 makes me want to see what Landis would do with Batman now.

The Superman books should only be handled by Landis & Pak (Fun Fact they pitched a complete reimagining of the Death of Superman Saga in the early days of the New 52 that DC scrapped in favor of DOOMED). Instead we are going to get a weekly series by Tomasi. gently caress!

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
If Blue Beetle stars Ted Kord and is written by Geoff Johns DC gets all of my money!

Teenage Fansub posted:

"SUPERWOMAN #1
Written by MEREDITH FINCH
Art by TONY KONDOS
Cover by BEN OLIVER
Variant cover by AMANDA CONNER

With her life changed forever, Lois Lane leaves the Daily Planet behind to become a full time superhero but how will the Pre-Flashpoint Lois Lane feel about Lois using her husband’s powers?"

If the Lois and Clark concept is sticking around, it's a safe bet nothing's being wiped.

This is one of those books thats going to get cancelled after 6 issues. DC must realize this.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

Deathstroke actually has been pulled from that TV show and probably won't return.

Wait what? I bet WB is hungry for that Deadpool money. I expect him to show up in Suicide Squad.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Rhyno posted:

Deathstroke only has a monthly book because of the major positive fan reaction to his appearance in Arrow seasons 1 & 2. He appears in 1 episode of season 3 that aired a year ago and probably won't be back. the image Stephen Amell released today showing someone that appears to be Deathstroke is reportedly not Manu Bennet in the suit.

I don't think thats true. Deathstroke has been popular since the 90s. He had a long running solo title and frequently appeared in Teen Titans and major event books. What people forget is that a large swath of characters from Deathstroke to Suicide Squad were ignored by Didio in the 00s and only got books again when the New 52 happened. I remember it was a big deal when Deathstroke returned for a beefy role in Identity Crisis.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 19, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Rhyno posted:

Deathstroke was prominently used in various DC books before IC. Also he had a 12 issue series as a N52 launch that was absolute garbage. And again, the new comic rejuvenated him to be just like TV Deathstroke. Had he not popped up in Arrow he'd never have gotten another ongoing.

The first new 52 book lasted for 21 issues and then just relaunched with a new #1 for a sales boost. It didn't necessarily have anything to do with arrow.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
*double post*

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Jim Lee is confirmed for Suicide Squad

I was pretty underwhelmed yesterday with the announcement but now I'm starting to get excited. I want to see creative teams and what direction there taking the stories in and what the new Universe actually looks like (Is it still New 52, Post-Crisis, a hodgepodge of both, or something new).

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

So DC abandoned it's DC YOU! Knockoff of Marvel NOW? And the NuBoot is DC Reboot? But NU 52 ongoings are still...ongoing (like JL Darkseid/Antimonitor War)?

Is that what's going on? I've been out of the loop since Secret Wars got underway.

Think of it like 2 pizzas smashing together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

I can't think of a DC Rebirth thread title at all. Please help!

\/\/ No funny guys! Lets keep this posi!

DC Rebirth: The Continuity Awakens

• Locked thread