Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Half expected Peter David to show up halfway through to remonstrate with him over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Semper Fudge posted:

That's like the most evil loving robot ever devised.

Haha, sort of reminds me of the killer robot Michael Dorn played on Megas XLR.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

"No, that can't be right. The Joker's actual name is Joe Kerr? But that was a preposterous origin!."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
JSA is probably the best thing he's done. I know Flash and Green Lantern are more popular but JSA is the best.

Actually, no, maybe it's a tie between JSA and Superman (the first time he wrote it - I haven't read the stories he did with John Romita, Jr. more recently but I've heard they're very good as well).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorDelaware posted:

I recently went through my JSA trades and yeah, still really good. I think my favorite is Stealing Thunder.

Oh, yeah, where the Ultra-Humanite swaps brains with Johnny Thunder and uses the Thunderbolt to take over the world? That one's good.

I liked the one near the end where they go back to the 1950s and team up with the original JSA to prevent Per Degaton from assassinating Harry S. Truman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Agreed, unironically.

2edgy4me

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's the one where Ollie says something like, "You're a complete sicko, Light," and he immediately replies, "Why? Because I rape? :smug:"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember really enjoying the Teen Titans comic Geoff Johns wrote immediately after Identity Crisis where Light goes and fights every single hero who's every been in the Titans at once to re-establish the character as a dangerous bad guy, but I'm pretty sure he didn't brag about how much he enjoyed rape while he did it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

I know it's not well regarded these days, but I love that run. That's a seminal comic in my nerd development.

Sure, I liked it a lot. Haven't read it in a while, but it was that and JSA that got me into DC in a big way. I know Infinite Crisis isn't especially well-liked either, but it was likewise the first big event I was into as it was coming out, and TT and JSA are where Johns did most of the build-up for it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

How old are the N52 dc characters vs the old continuity? 25 vs 40?

Batman and Superman are both meant to be around 30, but I think that's the age they were pre-New 52 as well. I reckon most of the adult heroes in N52 are about that age.

Hal Jordan's interesting because I'm pretty sure one of his early Post-Crisis stories involved his 40th birthday, and he was fairly consistently drawn as being grey at the temples as well. When he came back after Infinite Crisis, he was youthed down to 30-ish as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The last few times these RHATO pages have been posted, I haven't found them mortally offensive or anything, but the SFX have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrProsek posted:

This BC rumor is somehow harder to believe than the last one. An 'austerity regime' would basically be the end of DC comics other than token releases for the films.

George Osborne confirmed for next DC editor-in-chief. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Gotham is so weird. What's the point of all this happening when Bruce is loving eight? If they were doing a Batman prequel, it should be in the middle of his training or in his first year of Batman as he's cleaning up the normal crime and the super villains are about to appear.

Sure, by the time Smallville had ended, hadn't Clark beaten just about every Superman villain, and he wasn't even Superman yet?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Only it'll probably be more along the lines of Home Alone 4 where the only "trap" is one that's already built into the house. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My first thought on seeing that design was "particularly terrible Star Wars expanded universe character", actually.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New Krypton was mostly Robinson, wasn't it?

Was that the one that had Superman narrating internally about "My lady, the Sun - she gives me her light and her life and I am forever grateful" when he temporarily loses his powers?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I used to have a copy of X-Force #25 (the Fatal Attractions tie-in with the 3D bit on the cover) signed by Capullo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I quite like the idea of the story Kirby never got to write in which Darkseid faces Superman in a climactic showdown... and turns out to be weak.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got round to starting my JSA Omnibus Vol. 3 today, and it opens right into the Infinite Crisis era where OMACs are lurking round every corner, Dr Psycho is a midget in dress clothes, Hal Jordan has just come back to life and we are expected to accept Deathstroke as one of the ultimate arch-villains of the entire DCU.

A strange zeitgeist to revisit, which is odd because this is the DC I got into in the first place. It somehow feels more (dated? of its time?) than the concurrent Civil War era Marvel, which is bizarre because the latter was incredibly topical. Probably just me. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

That's just the Way it is.

Things will never be the same.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Weird, the Wiki article for Tower of Babel says it's JLA #43-46, but on Barnes & Noble's site (their buy 2, get 1 one free sale always cleans out my wallet), it says Vol. 4 collects JLA #36-41. I figured it must have had Tower of Babel since the cover for Vol. 4 is the same as the one for Tower of Babel, but that discrepancy was tripping me up.

I think the hardcover and paperback editions have different material - the hardcovers only collected the comics written by Morrison and excluded the various fill-ins by Mark Millar and Mark Waid (e.g. the stories with Amazo and Julian September, and possibly the No Man's Land tie-in, though I'm less sure about that one) whereas the paperbacks have every issues consecutively. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the Pérez WW omnibus can be acquired pretty cheaply at the moment.

As a matter of fact, I pre-ordered the second one via Amazon UK when it was announced, and last time I checked the price had dropped to about £18 - now that's pretty good for what's likely to be a 600-page oversized hardcover, considering I've bought TPBs that were more expensive than that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right - since I pre-ordered it, I get it for whatever the lowest price it drops to is, so it must have gone back up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

The writer is J.T Krul.

What's going on here? He's in an alley full of dead people holding a dead cat, while trying to take a massive poo poo?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Nat posted:

Including an emotional scene where Geoff Johns, having hit rock bottom, has a mental breakdown in the cereal aisle and begins to converse with Captain Crunch.

In the most dramatic sequence of the series, an unsuspecting DC staffer unwittingly beats Geoff Johns at Mortal Kombat, and has his arm ripped off for his troubles.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Superboy is completely useless as a character since the New 52 made him generically brooding and dark. Happy 90s Youth Superboy rocked.

Nah, he was like that well before the New 52. That was his big character arc in Teen Titans by Geoff Johns - he learns that he was half a clone of Lex Luthor all along (quite notoriously, if you go back to one particular issue of Superboy's comic from the late 1990s, there's a letter suggesting that Superboy could have Luthor's DNA, addressed from one Geoffrey Johns, age 18 or so), which allows Luthor to mind control him to attack his friends, and he becomes all dour and miserable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That crossover was the only Outsiders I've ever read. Was that the same series where they team up with Chris Hansen or John Walsh or somebody to break up a paedophile ring?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe that series of Outsiders (it was Judd Winick, I think) was a lot like the Torchwood to Teen Titans's Doctor Who - the "grown-up" version except by "grown-up" they meant "everyone has lots of sex and stop having sex to talk about how much sex they have". :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did they stop running them for kids in the last couple decades?
The Flintstones, Jestsons, Scooby Doo, etc, etc, were a huge part of my childhood as a kid of the 80's and they were 60's shows.

Yeah, I was born in 1991 and the Hanna Barbera stuff was practically Cartoon Network's bread and butter when I was growing up (that and the early What A Cartoon! stuff). :shrug:

ImpAtom posted:

Yes? Wacky Races was incredibly popular. It was not only popular in the US but was popular overseas. It was really popular in Japan, enough so that they did an entire joke Gundam episode which was just Wacky Races: Gundam Edition. Frankly Wacky Races was probablymore popular than a lot of the characters who cameo'd in it from other shows.

My dad can still name all the racers and their cars after 40 years. He says it's because he had Wacky Racers wallpaper in his bedroom when he was little. He is perhaps more proud of this fact than he ought to be. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 28, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

I hope Parker tries to find a way to tie in Space Ghost Coast-To-Coast and the 90's Jonny Quest reboot where Jonny, Hadji and Jessi (Race's teenage daughter/Jonny's love interest) battled baddies in bad CGI VR.

The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest. It was like The X-Files for kids. Went in for all that conspiracy stuff. I thought it was scary when I was little. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

Also, Supergirl isn't fooling anybody, that's a classic "Nooo, I don't wanna get up leave me alone" pose if I've ever seen it.

My first impression was that she's just heard the funniest joke in the universe and can't stop laughing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, they're doing a new Mark Waid Flash collection. I suppose they haven't mended any fences, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Troublesome trucks are superstitious and cowardly lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FutureFriend posted:

the dude writes and talks like a particularly douchey 16 year old and i´m just wondering why he was allowed to write for so long

I have it on good authority that douche 16-year olds constitute a substantial share of the market.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Was it controversial at the time? I've always felt like Identity Crisis hit right at the time most comic fans would be applauding how edgy and modern it was, and the story's (more than deserved) poo poo reputation has mostly came from recent years.

There was a bit of both. It was very controversial indeed at the time, but there were some people who defended it. If you look at the links at the bottom of the Wikipedia page, there's an article from around 2004 with the title, "In Defence of Sue Dibny's Rape" (thought hard about what to call it, obviously), as one example. (Link isn't working for me so it might be dead.)

Of course, I could also relay a comment I remember reading on the old CBR message board, which remarked that Joss Whedon wrote the foreword to the hardcover and he had nothing but praise for it, and as we all know, he's the final word on feminism in nerd culture so it must be okay (:rolleyes::respek::haw:).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Yes. #20 is possibly my favourite single issue of all time.

Is that "Who Killed Mindi Meyer?" I like that one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, that's a good one.

Great supporting cast in that comic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The gold stripe makes me think of the current Pepsi logo for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
DC Comics: A Night to Dismember

• Locked thread