Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ryan was just plain old paranoid. That last episode was almost a good series finale with a few tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
If Ryan is schizophrenic then maybe Joe is really his dead dad

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Woot we are getting a 4th and final season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

nate fisher posted:

Oh thank goodness. I'm happy we're at least going to have closure on the characters. I love this drat show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's perfect. As good as this show has gotten, trying to push another two or more seasons might begin to stretch it thin. Especially with how distant the main four characters have all gotten from one another.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

nate fisher posted:

:slick::holy::thumbsup:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Extremely good news, and agreed that 4 seasons is plenty - outside of that, we're unevenly compressing time to stay in the 80s.

Link - http://tvline.com/2016/10/10/halt-and-catch-fire-renewed-final-season-4-amc/

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ArmZ posted:

guess what, you were wrong and I was right.

Are you new to this whole watching tv thing? You understand this isn't the real world, right? My post was relaying the argument the other characters were making, not trying to predict the future in a fictional setting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

nate fisher posted:

4 seasons is pretty awesome. Add me to the list of excited/happy people.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

nate fisher posted:

Hell yes. I think this means that H&CF is Lee Pace's longest running show. Though in some alternate universe, Pushing Daisies is still running and is wonderful. :unsmith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thank goodness about the renewal, because otherwise tonight would have been the last of the show (tonight is a 2-parter, as a reminder).

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
1990?

Divorce?

:ohdear:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Holy gently caress 1990. What is going on. Hold me.

EDIT: That cold open is the kind of thing I expect in a season premiere. This is awesome.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 12, 2016

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Cameron said something was her fault. And her hair's normal. What show is this

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Those were two really good episodes and a good season finale

Med School posted:

absolutely this

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Series finale: Joe loses the 2000 presidential election.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Med School posted:

Well it reverted back in those last 3 minutes. Those two episodes were incredibly well done until that last three minutes.

I wish my dad kept his NeXT machine it was so cool, but he had one of the ones with the black and white monitors. At least I got his SGI machines.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Very interesting. Donna's gotten to be a cold blood killer.

Also, on an aesthetic note, I like how the couture has become extremely 90s, down to the automatic safety belts. These set/costume designers know their business.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

That was a good finale but to quote myself from a few weeks ago -

Vanderdeath posted:

My problem with Cameron isn't the way she behaves, it's the framing they use for her character. I'm hoping they avoid the fairly obvious conclusion of Donna becoming "The Man" while Gordon, Joe and possibly Cameron form another upstart, visionary company that will revolutionize everything.

I hate that this has come true. :smith: At least Cameron has seemingly grown as a person so we'll see what the final season has in store.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

isk posted:

Very interesting. Donna's gotten to be a cold blood killer.

Also, on an aesthetic note, I like how the couture has become extremely 90s, down to the automatic safety belts. These set/costume designers know their business.

It feels like Donna just pushed Gordon to the side too, because in the long run he was standing in the way of her financial success. Especially since Diane is her business mentor and maybe her hero at this point.

I wouldn't want to work with her either. Who knows when she decides to put that knife in your back.

On a side note, everything with Gordon's gothic, pissed off daughter was hilarious. I wish we could have a flashback with 14 year old Gordon trying to build something.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"But I'm doing so much better, since I've reconnected with your wife" :drat: Joe.

Just :drat:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GobiasIndustries posted:

"But I'm doing so much better, since I've reconnected with your wife" :drat: Joe.

Just :drat:

That line was amazing.

Great couple of episodes. They made it work as a series finale just in case the series didn't get picked up again. The three of them staring at the monitor like "Hold on to your butts" was great. I wonder what they'll 'invent' next year? A powerful search engine that gathers poo poo tons of data that they can in turn monetize?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Pretty good two-parter. Also much more up my alley now that they're talking about creating browsers and the fledgling web.

Criminal under-utilization of Boz, though. I hope he can still be part of the final season. Also hope they can bring Yo-Yo back at least. Just weird that we're years in the future and those characters never got a real sendoff if they're not brought back in.

In the end I feel pretty bad for Gordon. He's got a debilitating health issue and his wife leaves him for fortune and glory. He clearly did well for himself, but I can imagine that he was just kind of drifting until the WWW project without all those people in his life still.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The writers hate their own characters and decided to ruin them all.

I'll be watching next season, as I always do.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Maybe this is me speaking from THE FUTURE, but I wanted to punch Tom in his stupid loving face the entire time.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They should just pull the plug after this season's finale - I don't need to see 8 episodes of Cameron inventing Doom and the rest of the team inventing Netscape Navigator next season.

I would take a Bozz as private investigator/yachtsman spin-off though. :clint:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Season 4 is Joe and Gordon trying to rescue Cameron from the Grid and the threat of Sark and the MCP.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I still believe it was Gordon who left Donna due to her hatred of camping.

Great episodes, and I'm glad to see the original band back together. Might be my favorite show of 2016.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

It's good that the writers took the characters built from the ground up to play off each other's personalities, and remembered after 1.5 seasons, to put them into the same room so they can interact.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I really thought Cam had grown, but she is still the worst. I want to see everyone but her succeed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It was the best season yet and I believe Cam has grown. Her discussion with Donna was the most mature thing she's done. The truth is you can't work with some people. Better to put it out there and deal with it. The way it ended I don't blame Donna or Cam, sometimes it is what it is. (well I do agree with Cameron that Donna is quick to push people aside for her own gain. We saw that coming from a mile away when she suggested pushing Joe out even though it was his idea.)

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Keyser S0ze posted:

They should just pull the plug after this season's finale - I don't need to see 8 episodes of Cameron inventing Doom and the rest of the team inventing Netscape Navigator next season.

I would take a Bozz as private investigator/yachtsman spin-off though. :clint:

Yeah it kind of bothers me that they keep working on bad versions of what we know of as great ideas for their time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mosaic was better than Netscape

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcS1gT065kI

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Boz is even charming when discussing the euthanization of sick pets.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Loved the finale. Also appreciated the time skip. Those few years seem to have been absolutely brutal for everyone not named Donna, and I don't think I could have handled watching it all play out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

isk posted:

Kerry Bishe in early 90s style was definitely giving me early X-Files Gillian Anderson vibes.

Scipiotik posted:

Loved the finale. Also appreciated the time skip. Those few years seem to have been absolutely brutal for everyone not named Donna, and I don't think I could have handled watching it all play out.

Yeah, even the glimpses of what happened were just making my soul feel crushed imagining what it was like. Even Donna, so clearly pretending to be happy with the divorce despite obvious misery.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
For me they kind of left it in a weird place. I thought it was going to be one of those "we don't know if we get another season so this could also work as the series finale" episodes. When Donna's storyline wrapped up with her storming off to Switzerland I was kind of confused. Is she going to pull the rug out from under team Cameron somehow or is she making overtures for the project even though she wont be working with Cameron? I might be too stupid for this show.

It was fun to watch what a few years in a corporation did to Tom the hacker.

Scipiotik posted:

They were brutal for her too: she picked a stupid role model and is screaming on the inside because she burned down a company and alienated her husband, friends and employees.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Dmitri-9 posted:

When Donna's storyline wrapped up with her storming off to Switzerland I was kind of confused. Is she going to pull the rug out from under team Cameron somehow or is she making overtures for the project even though she wont be working with Cameron?

I interpreted it as the former.

• Locked thread