Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

LordLeckie posted:

Josukes VA from ASB seemed quite good as well.

His voice wasn't really what I expected of Josuke at all. The first time you see him, Josuke is really timid, so the idea of him being really tough sounding has never really stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The cast is also not that smart and never has been.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Part 4 is great because the bad guy is about the same level of stupid as the protagonists. They have a battle of wits for half the arc and it only ends when one of them fucks up really badly.

Also this is like a page late but this is how King Crimson works.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The funny thing is, in any other manga Jolyne's default design would be weird fanservice.

Except it's Jojo and everyone else is drawn wearing things that are like ten times more revealing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

When I was first reading Part 6, I thought the plot twist was going to be that Weather was actually Jotaro with someone else's stand disk in him. Man, part 6 can get confusing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They're not actually translations, they're just putting words together. I remember in particular someone talking about how Italian was the most beautiful language in the world, when he wasn't saying even vaguely similar in the fixed version.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think my main problem with King Crimson is that so much of it can just be attributed to The World. That explanation about Narancia dying is something DIO could do, so I end up having to think his power is actually used totally differently, instead of just going to the actual answer. I just tell myself it's server lag and I'm done with it.

Also the Buccelati thing just doesn't make sense when you know the rules of his stand (He can't affect people during skipped time). Araki probably didn't have his power down for sure, so things ended up changing, but when you have a confusing stand in a manga that can get confusing already, it doesn't really help.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

Anyone wanna try and explain to me the end of part 6.

I'd understand if you didn't.

Araki got sick of the Joestar and Dio legacy

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, considering it's the finale of the entire storyline I figure he just wanted to go full :catdrugs: with everything that went down. Stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody and everyone freaking out about Sky Rods truly put the Bizarre in the phrase Bizarre Adventure. I can't think of anything from part 6 that I didn't find awesome.

Well. Except for what happened to Foo Fighters, at least.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ascalapha odorata posted:

I think I've got the gist of it though I'm actually more confused by gold experience than king crimson. But with the translation it's definitely more that the personality is missing and the poignant stuff at the end just becomes weird mush.

Polnareff is injured in 99 and he's on his own when it happens and after because it's the mob right? Like he'd been working with jotaro through the 90s on arrow poo poo but he dealt with the field work himself? Just trying to piece together that timeline better.

All you really need to remember about Gold Experience is that two of its early powers (his animals rebounding attacks and his punches making people confused) are used once and then never again, so they essentially don't exist. Other then that, he heals by turning objects into whatever the person's missing (blood cells, limbs, etc).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Didn't they say ASB would have a unique story mode too? Might not want to hold your breath about EoH's.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Fugo is the only one of the part 5 gang I actually sort of liked. Later on I appreciated Narancia a bit more, but, well...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I can't help but think of the Wicked Witch of the West East every time I see it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm in the middle of reading part six, and I just noticed something. Is Annasui the woman who took a bunch of male hormones who was pointed out by Jolyene and a guard at the very beginning?

That was just a joke to show Jolyne is really gullible.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Eh, I prefer how the anime did it, where Jotaro was called Jojo and they called Joseph Mr. Joestar. If they did part 4, Josuke would get the name and Jotaro would just be Mr. Kujo.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

On the other hand, we got great ones like Boy Man Man and Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price. I'd really like to know the thought process on why the name quality varied so greatly.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Incidentally, the translator there doesn't like the wiki because they keep reverting his localisation choices to things that are wrong (in his opinion).
(Josefumi > Jyosefumi because the passport has Jyosefumi even though that's probably more Araki not knowing his romanisation too well. Ala Cujoh)

He's also slowly working on the Part 4 spin off novel slowly.

Isn't Cujoh the Americanized name Jotaro changed to when moving to the west? ASB spells it Kujo for Jotaro and Cujoh for Jolyne.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Enourmo posted:

how would "kujo" be hard to understand though?

You vastly underestimate the lengths people will go to not understand foreigners.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFSH9K1LIA

I don't understand how anyone ok'd these colours.
He does have "not foul" alternatives though.

Well I mean, it's Jojo. It would be inappropriate if the characters weren't the gaudiest people on earth.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Eh, I wouldn't say Part 4 is hugely influenced by Dio. Sure, he put parts of it into motion (mostly Okuyasu's dad) but the reasons behind Kira's actions have nothing at all to do with him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I never really liked the team dynamic in part 5 since for a large part of it you have two people preparing to betray them all anyway, so it feels like a charade. Also I hate Mista.

By the end I did start to like them, but then they had to go and kill Narancia, the one I actually started to like as a character. Araki always kills off the guys I like most.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I didn't really mind Annasui but nothing about his character really made any sense. By the end, Diver Down was a completely different stand then it started as, and Annasui's whole reason for being in jail (being obsessed with taking things apart, including his girlfriend) is never brought up ever.

Would absolutely take Foo Fighters any day of the week over him though. Foo Fighters was my fav so of course Araki had to kill her..

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I can't believe best girl Foo Fighters failed to be in another Jojo game.

There's always DLC I guess...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Baal posted:

If you wanted to give Jolyne a male love interest you should've just made it Weather because he's actually cool

Otherwise she's life partners with Hermes and Foo Fighters or gay whatever

Weather turned out to be a psychopathic killer too though, he just happened to be on the good guys' side because Pucchi hosed up big.

edit: I always assumed in the new world that Etro's reincarnated form would just some weird lady that claims she's actually a colony of Plankton.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 22, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Unlike the Passione though, the part 6 cast dying was actually sad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, he's using Jonathan's body all the time, along with his stand. Also the whole reason he took 40 days to recover was because he specifically wanted to suck the blood of a Joestar.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That's part of what makes Jojo so much fun. It might not make any sense, and it might actively contradict everything up to this point, but drat if it's not awesome.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, it seems a lot of people didn't realize hot pants had even died when she did, self included.

Admittedly, I also managed to miss that diego died because in the panel showing him bisected, I didn't notice his upper torso in the background so I thought it was just a focus on him on the ground

I just read it recently and also didn't realize Dio was dead for real. I saw him cut in half but well, it's Jojo. He was even talking in that panel, showing us he was still alive. It took me until the alternate Dio showed up that I realized what had happened.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I thought D4C passed on all his memories, but the current consciousness of Valentine still died with his body, kinda like a The Prestige dealio

Yeah, I'm pretty sure one of the swapped Valentines said something like "Oh, so that's what's going on, guess it's my turn now".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ball Breaker hosed up its ears and it spent a while with just a bald head.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Baal posted:

I want an opinion from the thread and this is not 100% a guaranteed thing that is going to happen, but if I were to maybe possibly LP JoJo games should I theoretically start in chronological order of game release or game based on series. The former has the benefit of allowing me to show off the changes in both game tech with JoJo games and the trading of the IP to different publishers and how that effects and the other pushes the story in order but forces me to play an insanely lovely game to start and I wouldn't want to maybe set the mood of a theoretical JoJo LP with the worst game first.

I'd suggest if you really don't want to play much of a lovely game, just show off a little bit of it and write about why it's bad. There aren't really many Jojo games, but it would suck if you burned out because you felt obligated to play through them entirely.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I played the Heritage fighting game as my first Actual Fighting Game and fighting Avdol with Jotaro in the prison was the hardest thing in the world. Then ASB came out and I got good with spamming Kakyoin's Emerald Splash and then sorta good with Josuke.

I'm real bad at fighting games.

Yeah, I tried he demo for Heritage and I have never been able to beat Abdul, the very first fight. I don't know how people play these things.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So I finally buckled down and read the last volume of part 7.

Lucy Steel is the most badass motherfucker in the world.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Baal posted:

Which all came about because Pucci refused to flat out kill him and instead decided to play with his food and monologue at him because he is a bad character

Yeah, that's something no Jojo villain has ever done before.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Moltrey posted:

Kira's chapters about trying to blend into Kawajiri's life were some of my favorite parts of Part 4 and I wish there were more of them. Stuff like Kira filing off the shoe sizes his old shoes so his new wife doesn't wonder why he's wearing shoes two sizes smaller than usual and practicing writing his new name and handwriting were aspects of the Body Snatcher plot I hadn't seen before and I really liked it.

I like to think about how he had to awkwardly get around using people's names at home and work.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I still love that giorno's big plan for escaping from the guy that can freeze everything is to drive into the ocean

I really want to see the new translation for that part. In the original he said it was because the water was already cold, and it would take longer to freeze... or something. I remember seeing a comparison that showed the dialogue for that section being nothing at all like the Japanese though, so I have to wonder if they didn't just make up that explaination.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Josuke = Jolyne > Joseph > Johnny > Jotaro > Jonathan
Giorno is, like people said, not really counted cause he's a victim of bad translation. He did have some good parts though, like stealing a hundred cars. Also haven't started part 8, so I obviously can't rate that Jojo.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Considering how much Araki keeps to his own established rules (he doesn't) the SBR universe is simultaneously the same as the end of Stone Ocean's and not.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I've always seen them as half black, since saying Pucci is not is completely ridiculous, and one of the girls in the flashback mentions Wes' tan skin.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i like the fan interpretation of hermes having brown skin at the very least. thanks

Her family owned a Mexican resturaunt, so I don't really think this is a fan interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, Lucy Steel was baller but they used sexual assault against her so often that it makes it hard to recommend to people sometimes.

I don't really think I understood that Cinderella arc. So Koichi didn't like Yukako that much, but she ended up changing her face, which... actually worked? And then the end where Yukako's actual face isn't in the ones Koichi can pick, and it just kinda ends there? I'm guessing that's because of Duwang, cause otherwise, that whole story gave me a really bad vibe.