Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I imported Eyes of Heaven and enjoyed it. My main issue was the lack of local multiplayer - I thought the core gameplay wasn’t anything to really write home about, but was fun and had some neat aspects to it.

There’s my wrong opinion I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

no they will not posted:

I decided to try a bunch of non-central jojo characters in akinator and it didn't get a single one right. Please play it with different jojo charactrs so that the site can be fixed

Akinator is kind of hosed now because it got so popular. It has such a huge database of characters (including tons of random youtubers nobody's heard of) that it now has trouble finding the correct one, since there's bound to be a few characters that are fairly similar.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BaDandy posted:

I can't wait for Kira to accidentally save a marriage.

I love that a conflict that some JoJo villains go through is when how they are as a person is a hurdle to them reaching their main goal. Kira could absolutely live a quiet life with Shinobu if he tried to put a lid on killing people. Fate would have given Dio everything under the sun if he actually trusted it, or anyone, enough. Diavolo wouldn't have had any problems being a mob boss if he were less of a paranoid dick (and was willing to give his assassination team a raise), and his obsession with being anonymous made it really easy for someone else to take over. At least Kira realizes on some level what his problem is.

I'm dumb, how would fate give DIO everything? Because Pucci followed fate and won (more or less)?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Butt Ox posted:

I would not post that translation in the anime thread.

Honestly it isn't spoilery unless you know fatty dies, or someone tells you it's spoilery. Otherwise I'd figure people would assume it means Kira is after fatty, and it's up to the duwang gang to stop him!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CrashScreen posted:

It could even potentially be the editor interfering. ("We can't have more than two chapters for Joshuu! Nobody even likes him!")

I read it more as just quick cuts for comedic purposes. OH poo poo THIS MOMEY IS ON FIRE AND MULTIPLYING AAAAA oh I'm in my house now.

It also did a decent job of keeping the tension going. Araki built it up with the taxi driver, then with the hard cut he keeps it going all the way to the next day. The payoff of his room exploding with money is both funny (along with the second hard cut) and make for good contrast with Joshuu standing calmly the very next page, really letting us know he's up to something extra lovely. I feel if it was expanded out to explain everything in closer detail, some of the charm might have been lost.

It's also possible Araki only had enough content for another half chapter or so, and decided to trim it down instead of pad it out.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

One of these days I'm gonna look into making a jojo game in trad games and round up some folks to play it. I already have a basis for what the general plot would be as well as an idea for how I'd run it, but the biggest issue aside from laziness would be figuring out how to run it without it just being pure RP because I want it to be a pen & paper game for reasons.

If I ever go through with it, I hope some of the people in here will join in and have some fun.

I would recommend FATE accelerated. It's much more about the role playing aspects than the fiddly mechanics, and the fast and loose rules would work great for stands.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Hello, it is me, forums poster Jolyne Cujoh

FAE is definitely best for jojos, but I am of the opinion stands shouldn’t be the primary aspect, since that kind of misses out on a big character opportunity. I instead treat the stand as one of their stunts, so they can just use the stand whenever, without necessarily needing to spend a FATE point.

I also encourage players to perform “stylish actions” where they can spend a fate point to retroactively do something. This is Josuke going “Earlier I swallowed a rubber glove!” or Joseph going “I was actually laying out an intricate web of ropes!” to suddenly turn the tables.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How do so many people not like Superfly? I thought that fight was loving rad.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What the gently caress was up with the tunnel room anyways? I just realized I don't think it's ever really explained. Was that actually Kira in there or what.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

dumb posted:

that sounds right. probably linked to whatever his stand will be.

also i enjoyed this panel

I love that combined with the panels of Jobin just sprinkling fried chicken out to the gardens.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Saagonsa posted:

This is honestly one of those things that could only possibly be a "spoiler" if you know about it in advance. There's no way the average anime viewer would get "Kira can blow people up and go back in time" from that song alone.

Also, in regards to the actual song, that rewind is pretty good

Exactly. The only way people are going to know it's a spoiler is if others point it out. Sure, maybe some people could guess that it could mean there's a rewind power of some kind, but Kira's established abilities don't hint towards that at all so I'd probably say it's not likely.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Funky Valentine posted:

The only way time travels in Jojo is when it stops, when it loops, when it...does something, and when it goes really really loving fast.

And when it rewinds.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
At one point I reread through the Who Shot Johnny Joestar arc and carefully mapped out how shot who and when and where they were and such, and the tl;dr is it doesn’t really make sense or work. If I remember right, there are about four or five timelines being used, and it’s not clear which is the “true” timeline until the end. In fact, the diego and Wekapipo we see fighting for most of the time would have to NOT be the “true” ones in order for it to work, or something like that. Maybe I’ll read through it again and try to figure it out, but it really is just an Araki Forgot or Araki Changed His Mind sort of situation.

e: turns out I posted about it and forgot i did so:

CodfishCartographer posted:

While rereading Steel Ball Run, I'm trying to parse the (near of part 7 spoilers) who shot Johnny Joestar section. I realize this is probably an exercise in frustration, but still.

This is my best shot at making this clusterfuck make sense, with knowing how D4C works in hindsight:

We'll say Universe A is the World Where Everything Is Based, and all other universes are just arbitrary lettering designations for the sake of keeping track of things.
Valentine from Universe A gets into the flag in order to gently caress with Diego A. Valentine B hides in the American Flag so that he can ambush Wekapipo B. Valentine C enters Universe A and approaches Gyro, distracting Johnny before slipping behind a tree into some other universe.

Valentine D gets between Johnny and Gyro's horses to move to Universe A, where he comes out and shoots Johnny.

We cut to Wekapipo chapters, but we don't know that this is actually Universe B. Wekapipo B gets attacked by Valentine B from behind the flag - we see D4C during this encounter, so we know it was in fact Valentine who pounced on him. Wekapipo B shoots at Valentine B, who brings him to Universe C, where he shoots Johnny C. We see Wekapipo move away towards the horses and flag where various Valentines are hiding, and he slams his back to the wall. During this time, he is moved to Universe A, but we don't know it happens.

Meanwhile, Diego A sees Wekapipo A point a gun at him, and pounces. They struggle in the flag as they fall, and Diego A shoots and kills Wekapipo A - WE SEE THIS HAPPEN. As the confusion settles down, Valentine A removes Wekapipo A's corpse, leading Diego A to believe HE shot and killed Johnny. As this happens, Wekapipo B is moved to Universe A (we hear both of his shoes clack at once on the ground), leading Diego A to further believe it was actually Johnny that he shot. Diego A has the corpse part and thinks he shot Johnny, whereas Wekapipo B is now in Universe A, having actually shot the wrong Johnny and never saw Diego A around Johnny at all.

Finally, Valentine mixes up all the children from the various universe so that they add to the confusion.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah, for my interpretation to work each one would need to universe hop on his own. Guess when I wrote that up I forgot that only the One True President had D4C. Should probably reread through and try to see if it can work with only one Valentine doing the universe hopping, but then it probably would need to be at Anime Speed.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

Well remember that Funny can transfer D4C to any other Funny, so it doesn't get that much more complicated.

Really, the answer to what happens in "Who Shot Johnny Joestar," as well as the answer to the question the title poses, is "Yes."

I wrote up a massive effortpost about the situation, walking step-by-step through the evens but realized the answer is actually really simple. Araki Forgot. See, when he first explains his stand, Valentine says “Allowing neighboring worlds to exist simultaneously in the same location. This is my stand ability.” We also see lots of weird poo poo like multiple valentines all merging together and stuff like that. I think that originally, D4C could merge timelines together, or at least parts of them. This was then simplified to just “being able to hope between parallel universes”. So the answer to Who Shot Johnny Joestar is that all three of them did. Valentine shot True Universe Johnny, and then brought in a Diego who shot at Wekapipo and a Wekapipo who shot at Valentine. That’s it.

There’s still a handful of mysterious elements though, like Diego dropping the revolver and it being implied that Wekapipo picked it up, despite that making no sense at all since Diego got the revolver from Wekapipo in the first place.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
From my remedial Japanese, it seems to mostly just be a merchandise special? From top to bottom:

Information pamphlet about the event
Set of two clear files(?)
Hard acrylic key chains
"trading" badges. I assume from a blind buy sort of thing
Calendars
Set of 3 hair ties (?)
Flat pouches
Duffle towel
:siren:Stray Cat cushion:siren:
Bag charm
Josuke t shirt
Rohan t shirt

Apologies if I hosed something up

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
"Okuyasu" being translated as "put Ease" is my new favorite thing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
When I saw the stand power transfer to a fly, I assumed Gappy was going into the supermarket to try and get a jar or something. Who cares if the fly is going straight towards you if it can’t ever possibly get to you because it's trapped in glass.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I forget, how did Gappy actually learn the information from the flashback? The flashback just kind of happened in the middle of the Damo fight, I presume to give the readers more information on the background and to ramp up the tension during the fight, but then afterwards it feels like Gappy suddenly knows all the stuff we know from the flashback. Did Gappy actually have that flashback? It never really felt like that to me.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BaDandy posted:

Right here.

To elaborate, since Requiem Stands control living souls, basically GER is resetting the will to fight (and to summon Stands) to zero, which is why erasing time doesn't work for Diavolo anymore and why he can't summon King Crimson during the death loop.

As for the death thing, since it's established that 1) once you're dead, you're dead and 2) GER can even reset death to zero, the fabric of reality can't handle that, so Diavolo is shunted off to a reality where he dies, but it doesn't happen, so reality tries again, and it can't happen because his death is at zero, and on, and on, and on.

As for "he's no longer part of reality", I just thought of it as a poetic way of saying he sent Diavolo to hell. :shrug:

I always kind of interpreted GER as like…『stopping』things from happening. It stops Diavolo from being able to attack him, and it stops him from being able to stop dying. I like your interpretation that reality basically can’t handle it, so it just throws him in some pocket dimension or something. “Turning it to 0” has just always felt like weird JoJo terminology to me, even with the new (fantastic) translation.

Of course, we really can’t know for sure unless we actually got a chance to see GER use its powers more. Which we don’t, so we’ll kind of just never know for sure, I guess. I’d ask if anyone’s asked Araki about it, but we all know how reliable “Araki says” is.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Both part 4 and part 3 animes were announced in October. If we make it to the end of the year with no word, we'll then RIP I guess.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I still say that Jobin and Joshuu will fuse to become Jojo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://mynintendonews.com/2018/03/08/rumour-soft-circle-french-bread-apparently-working-on-jojos-bizarre-adventure-fighting-game/

:thunk:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Whenever Joseph isn't the JoJo, everyone should be asking "Where's Joseph?"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hot drat, we’re getting plot stuff moving along. Also, confirmation that the main villains are in the hospital.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tbh
I have no idea what creamed Poor Tom. I'm assuming it was Jobin with Speed King, as both Josuke and Tom were under the influence of Paper Moon King and we don't know what Speed King's other power is.
But Araki's got a bit of the ol' what the gently caress's going on here again.

I assumed it was one of the stand powers of the people in the ambulance. Some way of redirecting bullets or projectiles or something?? Who knows.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Lmao at people ITT joking about needing to explain KC to people in the inevitable anime thread, only for people to start explaining here

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't remember the conclusion of that, but I remember trying to work the situation out almost gave me a headache.

I tried very hard to figure it out using the final rules of D4C, and it would require several universes never seen and for the series to start / end in completely different universes or some poo poo.

How it actually works is that Araki changed how D4C works. Originally it took alternate universes and merged them together. That's the whole sponge thing, he could combine multiple universes together into a single thing. So he merged three universes together to cover up him shooting Johnny. My guess is that Araki realized that may not be super flexible, or maybe too powerful, so he simplified it to be dragging poo poo through universes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Expect My Mom posted:

my part 4 top 5 in no particular order is

- Everyone vs Bites The Dust
- VS Stray Cat
- VS Sheer Heart Attack
- VS Highway Star
- VS Bad Company

a little too Kira focused so if I had to take Bites the Dust off, it might be VS Surface. I love how Josuke and Koichi cooperate in that one, Josuke fixing the bottle to cut off Surface's hand and to get the biker guys on their side, Koichi planting the sound of the gate closing to make Hazamada take a longer path, it's a really simple fight but i like it

This is from the anime thread, but I kinda wanted to take a more broad look at this: what's everyone's top 3/5/whatever fights from all of JoJo? It's real hard to narrow down, but maybe:

1) Grateful Dead & Beach Boys
2) Bites The Dust
3) Vitamin C
4) DIO
5) Sugar Mountain

I actually love the whole prolonged fight against D4C from Who Killed Johnny Joestar to Lovetrain to Philadelphia Coastline, but I dunno if that really counts as "one" fight. If it does, that's my favorite.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think vitamin c was when jojolion first veered hard into body horror and gave a sense of immense danger to the situation at hand so it sticks out a lot to people thinking back on the part

I love it because Damo starts as such a goofy fuckin dude and you're just expecting kind of a weird fight but not a super tense one. Maybe something like The Lock or the one where Narancia can't tell the truth that I can't remember the name of. Then it takes a hard fuckin right turn and he gets real loving threatening real fuckin quick. Then throughout the fight we have the secondary fight of Kira + Josefumi learning about the rokakaka and ultimately sacrificing themselves, which is such a great moment and one of the few times I almost cried at JoJo. Then we get the really great payoff as Damo gets his poo poo absolutely destroyed.

Expect My Mom posted:

the end of Heavy Weather where it's Weather and Anasui vs Pucci has maybe the best back and forth in a JoJo fight. To counter turning into a snail, Pucci uses Whitesnake to remove the use of his own eyes, so Weather freezes all of the blood in the area, turning them into spikes that Pucci can't see to impale him, so Pucci sends Whitesnake into Anasui to know where the spikes are. At some point in all this, Weather loses a leg, so Anasui sends Diver Down into Weather and Diver sticks it's leg through Weather's leg hole allowing Weather to run up on Pucci and punch him with air blasts

i love it

gently caress I forgot about a lot of this fight, I really gotta go reread it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The creepy stuff always comes off to me like Araki doesn't even realize it's creepy. Like it never feels like he's trying to sexualize the characters or titilate the audience with fanservice or anything like that, he never draws much attention to it aside from what it's trying to accomplish plot-wise, it just feels like some school kid pulling up a girl's skirt to tease her or something and not realizing there's deeper implications.

Of course that's probably just wishful thinking on my part. Either way it's definitely creepy and unnecessary and probably should have been avoided.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How can you forget Milagro Man?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Meme Emulator posted:

This is from the Part 5 Thread

When you say the part that confuses everyone, are you talking about starting from Who Shot Johnny Joestar? Isnt there all the Wekapipo and Magenta Magenta stuff to go through before the train fight starts?

Yeah, starting from Who Shot Johnny Joestar. I think the magenta magenta stuff starts before then? Since Wekapipo dies during the Johnny confusion. Technically Gyro does fight the weird grid guy during Who Shot Johnny Joestar, but it's pretty intertwined with that fight. I might be remembering wrong, but I recall it going Who Shot Johnny > Love Train > Philadelphia Coastline > Alt Universe Diego.

My original point is still a little facetious, since the Alt Universe Diego is counted in that page count, but it still fits in the context of "the climax of part 7"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2018-10-11/jojo-bizarre-adventure-sd-character-smartphone-game-launches/.138007

Well this is, uh, a thing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

as a person who has read the manga i'm pretty hype about the anime as a whole because it's already added a bunch of neat little touches and you all are gonna see some crazy good fights in this part. part 4 has some good as hell ones as well but 5 has some really standout ones.

From the anime thread, but now that I think about it is there a single bad fight in all of part 5? Maybe Man in the Mirror? But even then there are great parts.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You could maybe argue that just having the corpse parts at all gave them permanent powers.

Or Araki just didn't care.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Jesus changed water into wine, he could fuckin change his mind about whether someone gets a stand permanently or not.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

also giorno still has the character problem of Araki not really being able to nail down what his power actually does, then getting distracted because bruno's is way cooler

It always bothers me when people say “lol gold experience just does whatever! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯” cus it actually is pretty consistent once you get passed the damage reflect and slow-mo punch, which (I think?) never come up again at this point. GE can turn inanimate objects into living things. That’s it. It’s not that complex or hard to understand. It’s just that it’s so simple it’s highly susceptible to jojo bullshit - turning objects into organs / limbs that are missing, turning a brick into a snake that’s immune to poison and then using that blood in yourself, etc.

The animals have some basic rules they follow, like they’ll tend to move towards the “owners” of the object they originate from, and Giorno can give them some basic commands (such as “follow this dude”) but that’s it. Honestly it’s way simpler than Johnny’s stand, which is he can spin / shoot his fingernails and can then control the bullet holes and can teleport between the bullet holes and then INFINITE SPIN POWER, ALL OF THE ATOMS IN YOUR BODY ARE NOW SPINNING THROUGHOUT ALL DIMENSIONS

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh yeah I definitely agree that Tusks’ progression definitely makes sense, and that Giorno doesn’t really “learn” about his stand the way other protags do, beyong making new body parts I guess. I feel like those are more faults with Part 5’s writing, rather than inherently being a problem with Gold Experience being overly complex or rear end-pully. I feel like while GE does do weird poo poo that seems to come out of nowhere, it all makes sense within the context of GE’s powerset. I think people would be a lot more willing to accept it, if things were more properly set up somehow so the payoffs don’t seem to come from nowhere.

Also holy gently caress I cannot wait for the train fight, I am SO loving pumped for it. I forgot it was coming up next until I saw the post-credits scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

Giorno seemingly changing the powers of his stand on the fly.

The whole point I was trying to make is that he doesn’t, but everyone says he does. I do concede that it's probably the fault of Araki not properly establishing his powers early on, instead bouncing around with the damage reflection and slowdown poo poo. Which never comes up again.