Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Would Cars be able to turn himself/parts of himself/adopt aspects of rods?
And actually there's an excuse for him not developing stands: he's the pinnacle of evolution on Earth, stand microbes come from space. But then of course there's the people born with stands, who who developed them naturally out of a passion, like cooking, drawing, and drinking your own piss tai chi.

Cars adapts himself based on nature. Given that Stands can be gained naturally it would make sense that if he needed to he could develop a Stand much like he could grow wings or turn his feathers into armadilo scales into piranha fish.

Thankfully for Joseph Araki hadn't thought Stands up to that point. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm reading Part 5 for the first time. What is King Crimson's ability? He erases time? Does that mean he goes back in time a few seconds and that's how he can dodge all of Buccellati's attacks? That whole fight was completely incomprehensible to me.

In essence, Diavolo can move in the "erased" time as if he did not exist. Everyone else will act as they would have in that time so if someone was, say, walking, they will keep going forward, but a bullet headed towards Diavolo will pass through him as if he was not there.

Additionally, since others do not experience erased time, stuff they did not expect that happens within it (like hearing someone screaming for help) will not be noticed.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Later parts, adopting a more free-form style of storytelling, where the central conflict of the story is somewhat less central and all-consuming, end up doing a lot more world building than parts 1-3 did. Part 4 is especially that since the vast majority of it is essentially slice of life but with Stands. Character motives remain a driving force, but it turns into a relay race where the setting and the characters keep passing the protagonist's stick to each other on the way to the finishing line.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I'd love a storybizarre adventure about Joseph and Avdol meeting and becoming friends.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I just caught up on Jojolion after having stopped on Paper Moon Deception like a year and a half ago. I have to say, so far, it's definitely not my favourite part. The base concepts of the story are just not really doing it for me; though of course Araki's execution is perfect, and VItamin C was some loving strong body horror. Maybe I'll enjoy it more now that most of the mystery part of the story is finished. But as ideas, the stone men and the fruit just seem weak. Probably also not helped by the fact that the translation is kinda bad (the amount of vowel drawing is obsceee~~~n and really messes up with my reading rhythm); I didn't look too hard, are there any other translation projects for it?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Great, now I went and looked through the other stuff Araki's done and was reminded he had actually drawn the loving cover for an issue of the scientific journal Cell.

:allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Gyro being the real protagonist of part 7, I thought he'd be there to the very end at the very least, whether he survived or not. The timing of his death really threw me off.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

For being offed so quickly, Shigechi is an incredibly iconic cast member. His importance is definitely greater than his screentime.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Is everyone stretching out thier vowels an affectation of the Higashikata family or is it just something the Jojolion scanlators are doing on thier own

It feels like it's more than the Higashikatas that do it and it really bugs me to, to the point where even if it's faithful to the original I would much have preferred that to have been taken out of the translation.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Begemot posted:

I like it. Makes them seem quirky and more real.

It completely breaks the flow of the dialogue for me. Try reading a few pages where they do that and pretending it's not there, it reads much better.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Frionnel posted:

I'm reading Stone Ocean for the first time and i wonder what alternative names they'll use to sub the Bohemian Rhapsody fight in an eventual anime :allears:

Moravian Rhapsody

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Moltrey posted:

god, Killer Queen is an insanely good Stand

I hadn't really thought about it, but I'm looking forward to what name they give Killer Queen in the anime subs.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

that bit of heaven's door has always been weird, to be honest

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Butt Ox posted:

Hello. Part 8 is my least favorite part so far. Where is the corner or cage I'm supposed to sit in

I'm on the same boat, but my issues with it might be resolved now that the "mystery" half of it is over.

Nothing will fix the translators' obsessio~n with drawing out vowels in every single sentence though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Punk Josuke and Sailor Josuke, surely.

Where does Gappy even come from? I missed that part of the Jojo fandom lore.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

God, Joshu is such a dick.

I like him a bit more now.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

i like to think Milagro Man isn't even a stand and just a random-rear end curse that exists

I like how the whole thing with the tree and what happened to Josuke even before you find out what it is, can basically be summed up as "this can't be the work of an enemy stand!"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I think there's still a weird thing going on with the forehead but yeah it looks much better on those shots than it did in the last episode.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Stands are weird

Jojos is weird

It's a pretty bizarre adventure alright.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

My pet theory is that SBR-universe final bosses will all have space bullshit powers just like SDC-universe ones had time bullshit powers. If that is correct, it's likely that Cato is the final boss of JJL.

I'm expecting an upset and Jobin turning out to be the final boss. Jojolion has destroyed a lot of the typical plot structure of Jojo. There has been a timeskip to the present rather than to the '30s, the Jojo is Josuke but the main antagonist is not Kira, who instead is part of Josuke, the family tree has become so complex that drawing comparisons and saying "this character is this universe's X" is more or less impossible... Jojolion is doing its own thing a lot more than SBR did.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I hate Joshu. Joshu is great. I love Joshu. Joshu is a piece of poo poo.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I just realised Jojolion is set to be the only Jojo part where Dio's influence is not actually felt at any point.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If Alternate Diego hadn't taken the corpse to the underground bunker, Lucy probably never would have killed him, the corpse may have gone missing or unaccounted for, Johnny would never have been able to find it to bring it to Morioh and bury it under the Lone Pine, and it's quite probable from what we know of Josuke's merging and the different variant of Rokakaka that was made in the ground there that Josuke wouldn't actually exist.

So in that way, a Dio still has a distant influence on JoJolion.

Sure, but it's so far removed that it's nowhere near as important as it is in other parts. The only other part where Dio's influence is about as small is probably Battle Tendency, but a huge deal of the circumstances of primary characters in there is a direct result of Dio. Diego and DIEGO's influence over the events in Jojolion is much smaller and does not extend beyond the events of SBR.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Moltrey posted:

e:

e2: wait what the gently caress, johnny and diego are the same age, why does Johnny look like he's seven and Diego looks fully grown

You're looking at it wrong, Diege's not on the horse, he's the kid in front of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Moltrey posted:

Yeah that's pretty obvious. However Diego looks nearly full grown and wearing his constant SBR outfit while Johnny is a small boy

He's barely reaching up to the chest of Johnny's dad, so I'mm not sure where you're getting that from.