Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb. I don't think Araki ever seriously intended for Josuke to save baby Josuke, but if he did then I'm glad he dropped it because that would've been stupid.

I like to think he planned initially for Josuke to save baby Josuke, since Araki is really interested by things like time and causality. But he couldn't think of a good way to do it, so gently caress it, it was just a different guy. Which I like better, it's such a swerve for the more genre savvy readers, while still making perfect sense why Josuke looks so much like his rescuer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Josuke saving baby Josuke is dumb because the whole point is its the formative experience in Josuke's life that leads him to becoming such a super dude. A complete stranger saves his life, expecting nothing in return, so Josuke grows up to be the kind of guy to pay it forward, putting himself in danger for his friends. Josuke may be a scamp with a head full of zany get-rich-quick schemes, but he's got a heart of gold - and with Joseph out of the picture and his mother unmarried, that mysterious student is basically his ideal image of a man in place of a father figure. It's why he honors him with his pompadour, and gets upset when people insult it. They're insulting his hero.

To have Josuke save Josuke would make the whole thing ring hollow. It's not selfless if he's just saving himself. It stops being a thematically important moment and just becomes something weird that happened one time.

I've never seen any compelling evidence that Araki wanted to create a stable time loop, but if he did then I'm pretty glad he changed his mind.

I agree with you 100%, it's much better that it is a random stranger that he emulates. There is also no real evidence as far as I know, just the guy that rescues him looks so much like Josuke and a lot of people (me included) wondered if that was a plot thread that got dropped. But yeah, glad it got dropped.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HellCopter posted:

If Josuke was saved by a total stranger, then he learned an important life lesson about altruism and Doing The Right Thing.

If Josuke saved himself, then, well, it wasn't much a of teachable moment. Turns out it wasn't a triumph of the human spirit, it was just Josuke saving his own skin.

That's only true if Josuke knows it was himself; it could easily be written where he doesn't realize that until after the deed is done. But again, I prefer it being a total stranger; Josuke is in a lot of ways a fusion of the best aspects of Jonathan, Joseph, and Jotaro, so having an analogue of George Joestar passing down his gentlemanliness is important, and would be undercut if it was a closed loop, since his noble spirit wasn't "inherited" from another citizen of the town. And given a major theme of DIU is community, probably Araki realized that having a stranger save baby JoJo speaks a lot more to that theme, so he decided to keep it that way.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

Bro has pretty different connotations though: it implies familiarity and parity instead of admiration. I don't know any Italian though and I can't think of a English equivalent off the top of my head: sadly we can't go the Dragon Quest 8 route and use "guv".

There simply isn't an English equivalent that draws such a close distinction. English is a much more egalitarian language than Japanese, and there isn't the same level of exactness when it comes to words and grammar expressing hierarchy; hell, the closest thing we have to "senpai" is probably "alpha", and that just doesn't work for so many reasons. Ultimately, some of the exact meaning of individual words will be lost unavoidably, and it's the job of a good translator to make up this gap with good word choices and subtext that preserve these things holistically.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

When you think about it, it's actually pretty funny the the most broken Stand power ever is literally the final argument of a petulent child throwing a tantrum while playing pretend.

For the child of Dio Brando, I can think of no power more fitting.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Star Platinum posted:

Pretty sure it was said that Crazy D can't heal diseases or anything caused by old age, basically he can "just" fix injuries (which is still pretty good).

IIRC, Crazy Diamond works by actually reverting something to a prior state, and it can only go back so far; probably more than an hour but less than a day. So it wouldn't help with diseases, unless it had a weirdly short eclipse phase.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Crazy Diamond reverts things much farther back than a day, actually. Remember when it turns manufactured products back into their components?

ChaosArgate posted:

It's definitely longer than a day. It restored Fungami to how he was before his accident, which was definitely at least a few days before Josuke recruited him for the Enigma fight.

OK, yeah, it's totally longer than a day. I guess if the cancer or disease was caught early enough, he could heal it. I'm not insane to think it has an upper time limit though, right?

I like to think Josuke got a job as a therapist, so he could finally learn how to 'fix' people's hearts.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Even gay is gay for JoJo.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aurain posted:

Holly is a Joestar and Joestar's canonically only ever have one lover.
Kak-man was born too late.

I love the anime thread. They're adorable.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aurain posted:

Yeah, I posted that while thinking about how much of a bastard Joseph is.
The volume releases did make an effort to point that out, which makes it all the more fun.

Oh snap, didn't realize that the post was a DOUBLE CROSS from a manga reader. Good work there.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Soulcleaver posted:

Poke things with his stand's finger that are like five feet away. The best secondary power.

How loving amazing would it have been if Jotaro had killed Pucci by shooting out a Star Finger? Like, imagine if Pucci was dancing just outside his time stop reach, then, BAM, time resumes with two fingers in his skull. Amazing.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aurain posted:

In the current translations at least, doesn't Stone Ocean start playing around with how time-stop works, saying it's not actually stopping time and is a result of the super precision and speed.

I recall some kind of retcon-y nonsense going on there and I'm trying to find it.

e: I can't see it from the time he shows back up to him dying in the coloured scans, so it's either at the start (unlikely) or I read it somewhere else. (most likely).

I think it might be the opposite, where the super speed and precision is a result of the time stop. But that is a fan theory as far as I know.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

Also if Holly ever asked her father how he and her mother met he would have to recount the entirety of Battle Tendency. Koichi got off kind of easy if you think about it that way.

Dude, if my answer to "so how did you two meet?" was "I LAUNCHED AN AZTEC DOUBLE VAMPIRE INTO SPACE", I wouldn't trade that for anything.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Stand by REM and All Star are both amazing choices that fit the era and themes of DIU perfectly.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm reading Part 5 for the first time. What is King Crimson's ability? He erases time? Does that mean he goes back in time a few seconds and that's how he can dodge all of Buccellati's attacks? That whole fight was completely incomprehensible to me.

It really is best to just assume it just works and head on. But the easiest way I know of to think about it is that KC can basically stop causality for up to 10 seconds; the things that were happening at the start of the deleted time keep going on course, but nothing interacts, because 'causes' are persisting, but 'effects' are nulled.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

"The protagonist isn't Joseph."
"Too much filler."
"Why all the focus on Koichi?"
"The protagonist isn't Joseph."
"Aqua Necklace feels like a retread of Geb."
"What a dumb haircut."
"Misogyny."
"Why is Joseph senile?"
"Why is Joseph not the protagonist?"
"I miss hamon."
"Did Araki forget his own time travel subplot?"

You're almost certainly right with all of these, but anyone who complains about Let's Go Eat Italian as 'filler' should be auto-banned.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think a shitload of people are going to complain about the overall lack of focus through much of part 4. I love the part, but it's way more wandering and aimless than anything JoJo before it (and after it, mostly) and I can easily see people getting turned off by that and bailing.

Good. We don't need them.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Fiend Computer posted:

I really want to see what Jotaro dating his ex-wife must of been like. We get so little information about those two.

What I'm saying is a slice of life staring 10 year-old Joylne leading up to her parent's divorce.

This already exists, it's called Little Joelyne in Morioh, and it is the best fan thing ever. Though it's less about Jotaro and his wife, and mostly about Josuke being a cool great-uncle.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

I like Let's Go Hunting! less for the rats (who I agree aren't very compelling) and more for Josuke and Jotaro's relationship and interactions. I actually really like Jotaro's cool as a cucumber approach to things, but he definitely benefits from having a livelier partner to accent his stoicism. Lots of good scenes between the two of them, especially near the end where Jotaro offers to tank the attack because he trusts Josuke to take care of the target and heal him later and Josuke's all oh geez oh man.

That's easily on my top 5 ballsiest JoJo plans, and their cool uncle-nephew dynamic is always a delight. Especially when you remember Josuke is technically the uncle.

Every part is the best part of DIU.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

littleorv posted:

So, from what I can gather, Rohan is just Araki's self insert character.

Nope, it's Kars. Rohan is the fake Gary Stu to throw you off the scent.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Archenteron posted:

It is rumored that if you can ever beat Araki in a match set of Rock Paper Scissors, you will inhereit his powers and immortality. To this date, he has never lost.

That's because Araki's Thoth's predictions are 100% accurate, yes.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

minoru suzuki posted:

i still dont understand what golden experience requiem did to diavolo. is he stuck in a time loop of dying forever in a different reality/dimension or is it all in diavolo's head making him basically insane?

It's a time loop. GER, close as I can figure, can control causality in a kind of opposite way to King Crimson. KC can remove the cause but keep the effect, whereas GER can keep the cause, but remove the effect. So GER can enforce "being killed" as a cause on Diavolo, but removes the effect of him actually dying, so he's stuck in a cycle of constantly being killed forever.

I guess.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's creepy. Although, I take it they haven't seen the pictures Araki drew of her outside of Stone Ocean.

To be fair, that's one of the least erotic JoJo poses he's drawn.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wasn't saying that it was erotic. :(

Oh sorry, I thought you were responding to the idea of people not liking Joelyne because she's not conventionally attractive, and was presenting the picture as counterpoint.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

Also they have different names because Araki wanted to reference and older manga of his or something? I don't know.

The reason Jolyne becomes Irene, I think, is that since Pucci is gone, she doesn't need to fight, so she's no longer a JoJo. The universe knows.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm about to reach the end of part 4. There was a discussion in the anime thread about how Part 5's translation right now isn't all that great, and how due to the nature of that part one could skip it and go to Part 6 (which apparently has a great translation), and then come back to 5 when the newer translation is complete. What are people's thoughts here about this?

I skipped it and read Part 5 last because of the bad translation, I'd say that's the way to go. It's certainly readable, and the fights are still interesting and exciting, but the characters are written flat and boring, so without a better translation, it's the weakest arc in English.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

God I hope the pillar men just talk like professional wrestlers all the time. I mean it's pretty much what they are.

We will meet in 30 days, Joseph. For WRRRRESTLEMANIA!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Awaken, my masters!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

littleorv posted:

I think Rohan is my favourite character from part 4 aside from Josuke.

"I... Must see this guy's back"

BUT I REFUSE! is legit my favorite JoJo moment. Rohan straight up chooses to sacrifice his life for spite.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I've started to read part 6, and it's good but I have some questions about Jotaro. First off, is he aging in reverse? When he was 16 he looked like he was 36, and now that he's 36 or so he looks like he's 16. Second, why could Dio gradually train his The World and get time to stop more and more for him, and Jotaro can't get more than 2 seconds even though his stand's development stat is equal (or greater?) than Dio's? Plus this isn't Joseph, Jotaro has been active with his stand powers after his part of the story and he's now been using his stand longer than Dio.

Short time stop is a combination of lack of practice and DIO having superhuman endurance. Reverse aging is just the art universally shifting to softer features with slimmer builds.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Normie Slayer posted:

Theoretically, Rohan, who is confirmed to be immune to Made In Heaven, could just write "Survive Time Fuckery" in everyone's face, couldn't he?

He's not immune, he's just that good. And that's not really how Heaven's Door works.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Prison Warden posted:

So I thought Valentine had lost some weight, but I figured it must be my imagination... then there is this panel where Valentine is walking away from Lucy and Araki draws attention to the loud clacking noise his shoes make on the floor, and I remember that Scarlet says that the reason she fell in love with him was because he never made a single sound when he walked anywhere, no matter what. Something is definitely up here. All in all, I think the movement to a monthly format, and another magazine I guess, is good because this kind of subtle thing just isn't something you often see in normal shounen without a character specifically calling it out to make sure you notice.

Yeah the dude just took off his shirt and he's totally cut. I'd have said it's the corpse parts, but this very scene established he's keeping them in the next room. I guess it could be an impostor? That'd be a nice parallel, with Lucy doing the same thing, but that doesn't explain why the old fat Valentine had the same goal. Gah.

Keep going, your questions will be answered.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

How popular is Jojo in Japan? Like the entire series overall. Is it held in high regard?

JoJo basically invented half of modern anime tropes. It's an iconic series most people will recognize immediately, and the current arc is going strong, sales-wise.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

That sounds like "gently caress it Rodyle, who cares about Italy and Prison, give into your basic instincts and go read The President Tries to Conquer Cowboy World!"

Parts 5, 6, and 7 can be read in whatever order you want, and won't really change your enjoyment of them individually, so do whatever your heart tells you to.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dexie posted:

Does part 6 have good, full translations? Or do I need to skip it too, and go to part 7?

The translation is good, though some of the scans are a bit dodgy. Though you don't need to skip any JoJo; Vento Aureo manages to be cool and entertaining despite the translation.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Jose posted:

I only read jojolion until I think they defeated the guy in the room above. How far on has it got since then? I'm mostly thinking about just waiting until its finished and reading it all in one go

We're still less than half way through, if it ends up being about as long as SBR. Read it, it's good.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

The flipside of this is, if it has a more localized radius, then now Cairo, or select areas of it, are anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute behind the rest of the world. Which wouldn't amount to much but still sounds ominous.

If the time stop was local, there would be enormous earthquakes and natural disasters caused everytime The World activates, since part of the Earth's crust would stop rotating and the rest would collide into it

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aurain posted:

Muda as a battle cry is fine as is, it should be "useless" when Dio shouts it a lot in PB at Jonathan.

Goodbye JoJo is gone? Contact amazon, refund time.

Useless is really awkward to say as a battle cry, and muda is straight moonspeak. It should probably be something like "weak!" since it works for the character, and is a lot more natural sounding.

No excuse for changing Goodbye JoJo.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

I caught up with Part 8 and I'm sad because Jojolion is super good. Like if it keeps up this level of quality it will probably even edge out Steel Ball Run or DIamond is Unbreakable. It's kind of hilarious how macho Gappy is, given his appearance.

A sailor with four nuts is just about the manliest thing I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aurain posted:

Slice of life retelling of Stardust Crusaders from DIO's perspective.

Here ya go.