Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Epic High Five posted:

do a shitload of psycho jet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

IMO the best the writing got in this game was Far Harbour, and that required very little in the way of SCIENCE! stuff to make it excellent.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Tombot posted:

Also to pad out this reply a bit: I also gave away buddy to goodneighbor, but thats ok because it gives me a reason to ever go back there. I also made absolutely sure to never get hit in that quest so I never got the molerat disease to begin with, but I still had to savescum a bit because the amount of ways you can catch it is straight up bananas.

getting it because your companion got hit is some straight-up bullshit design

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

botany posted:

am i really the only person who actively dislikes power armor?

nope, Im with you. It's fine for short blitzes against heavily dangerous areas when I don't feel like stealthing - but the movement is far too bulky and the HUD makes me feel confined

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Power Armor becoming a vehicle that you fuel and customize and upgrade is the single best change, all around, they've made to the Fallout series hands down. Power Armor feels like Power Armor instead of just a better coat and pants you slip on after finding it in a drawer or on a dead body.

this however was a good design choice - I like the implementation, and prefer it to the FO3/FNV approach, but I dislike using it, so I don't

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Enigma posted:

That's actually what I like about it. It's for turning an infantryman into a tank. It should be bulky and confined.

I play a stealth character so my power armor frames are mostly piling up in the Sanctuary garages, but wearing it into the glowing sea for the first time was the most immersive, cinematic moment of the series for me. It feels like being in a one-man tin can that you're hoping keeps you alive in a hostile environment, like a ballistic mechanized space suit.

I agree. I wasn't trying to complain about how it's represented - I like that - I just don't like using it. In my mind it's a great way to implement it. The only complaint I really have is that the HUD doesn't go away with no helmet on

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Barometer posted:

I like that it isn't impossible to find suits and fusion cores

that's one way of putting it

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

exactly the same as any other faction, except the minutemen which gets you even less - there's repeating sidequests that mean nothing, a couple vendors, a free doctor as if the minor expense mattered, and eventually a new companion.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Unless it was a useless pit, like Covenant/Croup/the Lighthouse/Costal Cottage/Hangman's Alley.

I finally had a use for Hangman's on survival as an unmanned HQ for all my stuff as it's fairly central to just about everything, with relatively safe paths to Diamond City, GoodNeighbor, Sanctuary (via Beantown brewery), and a bunch of other places.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Nasgate posted:

That would be extremely dumb since you can increase your special stats whenever you want with the new system. Though i agree with the sarcastic latter sentence. I get disappointed with my unarmed character in FO4 every time i load that save up.

with intense training in FO3/FNV you could also raise stats, though only 10 times

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

A 60+ hour game doesn't need multiple playthroughs

:lol:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

The Caesar's Legion questline was cool because you just did most of the main quests from the other perspective and a lot of sidequests had legion-aligned resolutions you could only get with high caesar rep.

FNV will likely remain installed on whatever gaming rig I have forever. Fallout 4 will maybe remain until the next pretty graphics sandbox game

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not realistic guns I want, it is fun guns. There is no gun in fallout 4 that comes close to the catharsis of hunting death claws with high explosive anti matter rifle rounds.

I've found the Kiloton rifle to be fairly fun, and the handmade from Nuka World is actually okay too. But yeah, I miss my hunting shotgun and especially my single grenade launcher

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Halser posted:

hard to contain the desire to make an infinite capacity double barreled

this is actually what you want

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

oh cool I decided to play a new character through Nuka World from level 2 (and using an alt-start mod) to be a born raider and... I can't raid Sanctuary or Graygarden or Covenant or a number of other places. Awesome. Thanks Bethesda.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

My mod that the developer never heard about or programmed for doesn't work. Why hath thou forsaken me, Obama

the mod isn't the problem? That was just some context for my post. Good luck with the reading comprehension thing though.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Can you target places you haven't discovered yet?

Yes. But regardless, I had discovered Covenant and Sanctuary.

quote:

IIRC, when Shank was giving me target choices, anywhere I'd not been to as Overboss had been grey'd out.

This is not the case.

quote:

And some places like Sanctuary and the Castle and Vault 88 weren't available for making into serfs tax-payers.
Yeah, this is what I'm taking issue with. The plot protection, aka Bethesda being too lazy to write for circumstances other than they like.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

right, and just failing the quests because you've attacked the people there is... out of the question?

these are some real badass raiders but my god we'd better not attack that settlement because they might have things to take care of

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

If you beat the game with say, the Minutemen without ever joining any of the other factions do they still let you sign up afterwards or are they just like, "well, I guess we have other things to worry about now so we're not really looking for new recruits anymore sorry."

from what I recall the leaders get huffy and won't talk to you, and the occasional member will still try and give you a mission to blow up another faction

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rumda posted:

Just got the game on PC and it seems to be hanging on the initial workshop screen when I try to start a new game how can I fix it or should I just wait it out and make a sandwich.
Verifying files ATM.

what do you mean by initial workshop screen? The opening screen showing the garage with the power armor in it? Or the actual 'you have clicked on a workshop' screen?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

Phew. Getting enough nuclear material to build a Super-Reactor is pretty time-intensive...but fortunately I just picked up a plasma-infused assault rifle so I have a pretty good chance of gooifying any enemy I gib with it and getting more nuclear material out of it.

keep exploring the vault 88 environs

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

I built her thinking I'd be able to take her along later and since that's not the case I'm thinking she should be modded to just a Mr. Handy body with no limbs. Why waste good mods?

this was my approach because I wanted to punish her for being a poo poo

• Locked thread