Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frajaq posted:

I wonder if the wedding ring is irremovable as a Quest Item. Or you can do it and even sell it, only to regret it in the future for some reason :ohdear:

I will be very happy if there's an achievement/trophy for never taking it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Todd Howard's last big caper is going to be fooling everybody into thinking he was making a new game when really he just funded a cg trailer and made new slipcovers for a secret new printing of fallout 3.

It's going to become the fastest selling and most successful RPG the world has ever seen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Where have you been outside of ADTRW?

I post when and where I want, which is everywhere.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

If this where Obsidian saying they plan to focus more on the story, I would know what that means and be excited: more and cooler factions, better developed perspectives from each side, etc. But this is Bethesda, not Obsidian. My gut tells me they aern't even going to go for an interesting "fallout-world" story. They basically ignored almost everything about Fallout 1&2 and made a dumb regional plot about water. Did the Enclave get lazy and only wants to poison the DC area now? In Fallout 2 their plan was to put the Virus into the air and effect everyone on Earth, why downgrade?

The story from New Vegas was epic, it tied into the first 2 Fallouts and made a real evolution. It made the wastelands feel like it had a real history with actual geo-politics. The "villains" where extremely interesting, to the point where you might see the value of their ideology (the same with all factions). There is no simple good/evil dynamic in New Vegas, these are real people with real agendas and that can not be put into a simple diametric box. This is a stark contrast to Bethesdas writing, the Enclave is entirely unsympathetic in Fallout 3, they are cartoon super villains, rather than a bunch of actual people. Call me crazy but I am guessing we hear almost nothing about Caesars Legion or the NCR or the greater geo-politics of the wasteland at all in Fallout 4, Bethesda doesn't seem interested in that stuff.

Caesar's Legion is absolutely diametric evil, unabashedly, lol.

The Enclave in 3 is way more sympathetic. It's a bit of a shame you can't side with them actually, their plan seems way more concrete and far reaching than the brotherhoods.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I hope to poo poo you're talking about Colonel Autumn and not President Eden's plan. The former is pragmatic villainy, the latter is just complete stupidity.

EDEN's plan is evil but is entirely about forcing Autumn to return to a more drastic policy of only non mutated humanity being acceptable in the reconstruction, whereas Autumn is willing to compromise and integrate the wasteland settlers. By tainting the well for him you would be discrediting autumn and making the cornerstone of his plan for regional control untenable for anybody mutated, which is what Eden wants and why the power struggle exists in the first place.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Modern gender dynamics apply to post industrial societies, Rome was misogynistic for very practical reasons. If your army has women in it than lots of women are going to die in battle, potentially. One man can impregnate multiple women, but the opposite is not true. This means that losing women in battle makes your population decline within a generation, and over time more misogynistic cultures will overtake you because they only lose men in battle.

I love this thread.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The NCR and House side of things are more nuanced and have both negatives and positives, but trying to say that New Vegas is free from simpler morality is silly. It's just that instead of stark good and evil you have a few different options that aren't so good and one that is pitch black tar evil.

I think Grey on Grey storytelling is a bit boring personally though, even if it is more reflective of how uncertain the world is.

Being made to choose the lesser evil when all options are undesirable in many respects, I mean.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 24, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I hate "morally grey" as a buzzword. It doesn't even accurately describe New Vegas, which is about humans.

You still have to make a choice between a set selection of options that all carry aspects that are pretty undesirable. Thats not really a buzzword.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

Every time I hear people talking about Fallout and "morally gray choices," I can only think of The Pitt DLC for Fallout 3 which touted that all the karma choices were morally neutral but still had a very distinct "good" or "evil" choice for every decision. Like having to pick between kidnapping a baby and leaving it with an adoptive mother to cure a life-threatening pandemic disease and free the slaves or not kidnap a baby and let everyone slowly rot to death and be slaves.

The Pitt is even weirder because the option to not kidnap the baby and leave everybody as slaves ends with everybody not being a slav anymore at some point in the future, while the option to kidnap the baby and free the slaves ends with only really solving a dudes petty call for revenge and the possible collapse of the entire city.

A better use of it is the main point lookout quest where you are just being called in to arbiter the fued of two selfish jerkwads.

I guess why I think ts boring then is really a combination of the limited scope of videogame choice combined with the player being asked to make widespread changes in a society by playing the hero/villain. Since the scenarios are prewritten and always have the same ending no matter which option is chosen it feels very contrived, when in reality tumultuous events can have unintended benefits and consequences unseen by their contemporary obeservers. You can only make one thing happen in the path the writers have made, in 3s case it means you can't side with the enclave in a meaningful fashion, in new Vegas it doesn't seem like you could crusade within the ncr to work on its fundamental faults.

It's not really a strong negative, just a consequence of games still being limited authorial works, they'll never be truely open worlds because they're always limited to the content that's been authored for them.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 24, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Sometimes I just like being able to choose between objectively being a good guy and objectively being the biggest piece of poo poo I can.

Yah, I prefer it when a game lets you go to either extreme instead of settling sonehwere more in the subjective middle.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

Video games just aren't written very well, and there are a lot of really well written books

It's not like you can only consume and discuss one or the other, it's a silly statement to make.

Personally writing and story are the aspects of game I care about the least, even in role playing games. I'm way more interested in the core gameplay and ancillary aspects like the free exploration of worlds and the environment, things books don't handle very well.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nevets posted:

Yeah, like interactivity, reactive storytelling... no, wait, that's video games.

I'd say that the reactive storytelling in videogames isn't much more advanced than what books can do with choose your own adventure style works.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

It seems like every AAA game gets universal acclaim these days, unless you ship fundamentally broken games like Unity.

Games are actually really pretty good nowadays.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

But Stephen King doesn't get why lovecraft is good, because he always explains that Actually It Was A Clown Spider at the end.

He's like the weird christian lovecraft authors who keep trying to frame the whole thing as a good vs evil thing.

That's only his full novels, his short story works are way stronger and he even did a lovecraft pastiche piece that's probably better than most of lovecraft's output in Crouch End.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Maybe there shouldn't be a Fallout 5

Why?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

If you keep having sequels which don't progress things from cannibals in loincloths eating babies in a ruined town hall the player stops giving a gently caress because there's no positive impact for a hero character and it's no fun to play a villain because things are already as bad as they can be. On the other hand, if you keep having sequels where things get better because society is rebuilding you lose the fun of exploring ruins and shooting raiders and the game turns into something like The Sims where you just walk around a pleasant place and chat with people. If there are two possibilities for the future of the franchise and both of them are boring, then... *the goon's brain, unable to imagine the possibility of not having sequels, tears itself apart*

It's not like they're rushing these games out the door, there's a ton of space for exploration for what a fallout role playing game can be in another handful of years.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

I'm no fan of Texas, but I hope you're joking because calling Texas boring then offering up the Dakotas? :laffo:
Devil's Tower and Mount Rushmore are the only things in that part of the country worth putting in a video game like Fallout.

Endless procedurally generated plains. You can try to get to the mountains but you never will.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's a tiny behemoth, also.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frajaq posted:

Eh it wasn't that much trouble in Fallout 3, there was a laser pistol in the super market near megaton and the android quest in Rivet City to get a good plasma rifle was pretty easy

That and the alien weapons were some of the best in the game and by the end of zeta you could have a near infinite supply for repair and ammo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Speaking of representation, I actually like it when games force you to play as a single character with a set background and identify with them way more for it than when it's a customizable blank slate like in new Vegas and bioware games. The marine in new avp has no dialogue or player agency but I identified with him way more because he's a black dude and will always be a black dude and that was cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Black main playable characters that aren't just white people you can customize with different skin tones are relegated to gta games pretty much, if you're lucky a call of duty level might be playable.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm really excited and happy about Fallout 4 but I agree.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Machines are not people and do not have free will. If this game doesn't let me side against the robots I'll be very mad.

I'm going to lock you in a room with the Talos Principle and no food.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Robots are our friends who use lasers to subdue our enemies.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The biggest reason why making saving part of your game mechanics is lame is sometimes people have to stop playing to do other things, and its lame when they can't or have to leave it paused.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

I'd really like to see you justify this statement with any sort of evidence. All you've done this thread is make super petty snipes at Bethesda. I think perhaps you are the one with the weird hang-ups.

They got the sad brains.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You cant see inside a head with a mirror, you need an MRI for that, idiota.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Or a CT scanner.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

iGestalt posted:

Or a hammer.

That changes the nature of the observed, so is unfavorable compared to other brain looking opportunities.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fergus posted:

What language are these fine gentlemen speaking?

It's English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ToxicAcne posted:

Do you actually get any tangible rewards from the settlements? Because the caps from the stalls are a pittance.

if you build really basic farms you can mass produce vegetable starch and modify everything forever, because they count as 5 adhesive.

• Locked thread