Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm excited for Bethesda's new, totally not Gamebryo engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

frajaq posted:

I'm glad for voiced protagonist this time, it's time to move this series forward

I hope they can pull off the dialogue wheel as well as the pinnacle of modern RPGs, Dragon Age 2.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah okay, being able to build your own town makes up for the poo poo main character voice.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Andrast posted:

The combat still looks bad

Yeah, but the guns actually behaved kinda differently and there were more than 5 enemy types so this is a brave new direction for Bethesda.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Flaky posted:

I hope they don't go too overboard with the zany colours ala. SR3, GTA5 but it looks like we are in safe hands. I am sure there will be weather and lighting mods for this to tone things down a bit.

They need to filter every color with green again or else the game is just too cartoony and childish, imo..

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Generic Monk posted:

knowing bethesda i'd put money on them replacing them with perks, which would kind of blow.

I'm still amazed that SPECIAL miraculously survived into the new game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Flaky posted:

People hated Diablo 3 for a good reason. It looked silly.

It would be a shame if the ultra serious franchise Fallout, based on goofy and stupid predictions for the future from 50 years ago, was tainted by having a silly color palette that included shades beyond brown, green and brownish-green.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nuebot posted:

So now people are getting in a frenzy on other sites because they might be downgrading the visuals some. I for one am absolutely shocked a game does not look 100% like its E3 presentation. Just scandalized!

The quote has nothing to do with downgrading, but instead that that their target fidelity is one which offers good performance with the rest of the game's systems. The fact that the player can pick up, rotate, and gently caress around with almost every single object in an environment (including aspects of the game's structures) means that they can't really offer the same kind of fidelity as in a more linear and static game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

marktheando posted:

Yeah the level scaling was done pretty well in Skyrim, so I'm confident it will be decent in Fallout 4. Fallout 3 though, jesus christ. Unloading clip after clip into overpowered radscorpions. Or those glass-armoured bandits in Oblivion.

The system for scaling itself might have been okay in Skyrim but that game really highlighted how boring every single enemy type is. I don't think anyone would have an issue with scaling systems if fighting enemies was actually fun or interesting, and from the looks of it Bethesda's enemy AI hasn't really evolved beyond the point of "run at player and melee" or "stand in open and shoot."

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

In the case of Bethesda the new game is like the old one but with more mechanics removed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anita Dickinme posted:

Each Bethesda game is noticeably better than the last, so since they work on their games for years at a time maybe people forget?

On the other hand Skyrim isn't as good as Oblivion and Oblivion isn't as good as Morrowind, so if you think about it it's sort of like the opposite of what you said. The level of polish and fidelity increases, sure, but historically they've stripped systems from their sequels and reduced the amount of meaningful content.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

frajaq posted:

What? Morrowind is a pain in the rear end to play, at least Oblivion improved on that, and Skyrim made it even better

They all have poo poo combat, every single one of them. On the other hand, Morrowind has the most going for it outside of its combat by a significant margin. If you can handle the fact that it's a game from 2001 and looks like it then it's better than the newer two games in almost every regard. Morrowind has the most quests, most factions, the largest variety of skills and weapons, and in my opinion the most interesting setting. The lack of level scaling also offers a good sense of progression.

Walrus Pete posted:

Look I get that people really, really love Morrowind but trying to pass Oblivion off as better than Skyrim is just silly.

I can't think of anything that Skyrim does better than Oblivion on a mechanical level.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Fair enough. I was too young to ever grasp the complicated systems of Morrowind and Oblivion was alright but I never modded it to play its true potention. So to me it is Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind*.But the Shivering Isles was probably the best thing ever made.

*Don't hate me for being young. :ohdear:

Morrowind does a really poor job of explaining what fatigue does, which is probably the #1 issue most people run into with the game, especially its combat.

Always have max fatigue.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 21, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Walrus Pete posted:

I'd say the combat is better, but obviously not by much. It also, uh, crashes less? :v:

It looks better even if you just compare them to their contemporaries, has a more interesting setting, a more interesting plot (barely), and doesn't do anything worse than Oblivion that I can think of. It also doesn't practically require you to manipulate the leveling/scaling system in order to not eventually gimp your character. e: also it replaces tedious, annoying oblivion gates with dragons, which can be annoying but don't last long enough to be tedious.

I'm mostly basing my opinions on things like this:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Fighters_Guild#Fighters_Guild_Quests
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Fighters_Guild#Quests
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Companions#Quests

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

frajaq posted:

Well, I could swing a sword and hit something on my first try :shobon:

I should probably try Morrowind again, this time following a character making guide

Here is how to play Morrowind: realize that your fatigue level is basically your percentage chance to successfully perform any action, and then only use weapons or magic schools that you have set as primary attributes.

You should be able to easily kill mud crabs at level 1 if you are going in with a primary tagged weapon and max endurance.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Anyway I'm expecting Fallout 4 to be more like Skyrim. Technically worse than even Fallout 3 and very simple and casual, but somehow more enjoyable than Fallout 3 too.

I don't really know about this, it seems like they're introducing some cool new systems. Unless they've totally gutted skills and stripped SPECIAL of any sort of impact I don't think it could be worse as an RPG. On the other hand it also seems like they're adding in and expanding on systems in Fallout 3.

I just don't expect them to make the combat any more interesting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Inzombiac posted:

I wound up buying Fo3 GOTY to try out A Tale of Two Wastelands. It's pretty loving great. Now I'm trying to find a compatible graphic overhaul that takes off the green/orange hues and adds some foliage.

Nevada Skies has a ToTW version which works pretty well. I'm currently trying to nail down a frankenstein ENB to use with it.

Pretty good so far. I wish I'm still trying to figure out how to turn off the glare, letterbox and a weird bloom effect without blowing the whole thing up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

megalodong posted:

The biggest issue in e.g. DA2 with its dialogue wheel was every response had to fit into one of the "types" of response - sassy, serious etc. which really limited what could be said.

So unless they're doing some sort of dumb "cool", "serious", "joking", "jerk" style dialogue wheel, i'm not too bothered by it. Course, it seems pretty pointless to make it a wheel over a menu in that case and i'd vastly prefer an actual menu, but eh.

I would not be surprised at all if it was a dialogue menu on PC and a wheel for consoles. I would prefer a wheel when using a controller, really.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Epic High Five posted:

Lovecraft is played out and was never that funny or spooky to begin with. I hope they avoid the subject like the plague

Or if they do, they should make it a Point Lookout skin so that it's an unfun, spongey slog that makes you resent living

Actually Lovecraft would be somewhat appropriate, From the Mountains of Madness was serialized in the same 1930s-50s sci-fi pulps that the rest of the Fallout universe was pulled from. I hope that the quest designers at Bethesda read the topical stories from pulps like Amazing and Astounding because a lot of them (and especially ones about the future and atomic weapons) are hilarious.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hemale in pain posted:

fast travel+unlimited funds?

I don't use fast travel or infinite money. :colbert:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nasgate posted:

I have to say, the whole "obsidian made a better game lol bethesda" is the dumbest thing in this thread so far.

Already having a tuned engine, and access to the previous games assets? Duh you're going to have more time to add new ideas and fine tune gameplay.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure Bethesda's writers and quest designers aren't the ones coding the engine or doing art assets, so actually they still suck, sorry.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Minorkos posted:

Whatever happened to that quest designer who made the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion? That guy was the best

He went on to be the lead writer for Fallout 3, Skyrim and the upcoming hit Fallout 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Pagliarulo

:rip:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anita Dickinme posted:

He got in trouble for making too great a story line that it "distracted players from the other stories". Can't make this poo poo up.

I could see this being a thing, yeah.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Protons posted:

I'm probably buying it now based on that intro, though I could do without the new parent minigame or whatever.

Is there even a pre-order bonus of any kind at all?

Like why not just wait until release and see how it is?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Funky Valentine posted:

I start laughing whenever I hear them call the baby Shaun, and I don't know - oh wait, yes I do.

I'd pre-order the game if you got a button that let you say Shaun whenever you wanted, it would be very immersive.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3byx9i_mission-in-fallout-4_videogames

Here's a reupload of one of the leaked videos.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eiba posted:

Bethesda wants to subject you to a story you can empathize with. So you're not allowed to be gay.

Or know what you're going to say in conversation.

Or name your kid.

They must be really proud of their story.

The story is probably going to be completely poo poo, but if they actually made the moment to moment gameplay fun Fallout 4 will be an astronomical improvement over Skyrim or Fallout 3.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Inverness posted:

Everything I've seen so far suggests the game has a much better feel.

Hopefully, but a lot of the issues I have with FO3 and Skyrim are kind of hard to convey through shorter videos and are probably fundamental issues in gamebryo, like the strangely floaty movement.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

frajaq posted:

Synth Problems??

*is shot in the back* *head explode*

I like the splash sound.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gently caress... this sound design is amazing. Can't wait. When you hear that single typewriter key ring out when the massive attack instantly kills his companion... just epic. Wow.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

strong bird posted:

The line being repeated forever 'we arent here for the graphics and story' is actually mind boggling. What are you here for excepting those things. What else do these games have for you that you can't get elsewhere, with those things that allegedly don't matter

I'm here for the deep and complex gameplay found ONLY in Bethesda titles, like Skyrim's legendary "click on guys until they fall over" melee combat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Babe Magnet posted:

I mean to be fair to Bethesda they did go out of their way to get people who might actually know a thing or two about shooting games (bungie dude, their bros at iD) to help them build their combat from the ground up so maybe it won't be so simple and tame compared to their previous games???

This is the kind of thing that's probably nearly impossible to tell from videos, though. Really, if it controls and plays like a competent first person shooter instead of Skyrim with guns it'll probably be amazing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bholder posted:

Can we put some manner of disclaimer saying anyone bringing up Gamebryo have no loving idea what they are talking about?

Anyone who rags on Bethesda for using Gamebryo still really is just a blind hater. Sorry, nerdlords, but Bethesda renamed their version of Gamebryo to Creation so none of the problems with the engine matter anymore. :smugdog:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Goatfather posted:

its not a fps its a rpg with guns where you miss not because you missed but because you didnt put enough points in guns

if you want good gunplay you can just keep playing battlefield or whatever

Haha yeah man, any of you loser idiot COD kids that want your first person RPG where you shoot guns to have good first person shooter gameplay, well, go back to COD kid. loving wrecked.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Gamebyro is a low level rendering engine and people blame it for gameplay stuff that has nothing to do with it at all. Civilization 4 used gamebryo, it's just a graphics engine.

So what is responsible for making everything feel like it's sliding around and mouse responsiveness terrible? Is that an in house Bethesda product?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

projecthalaxy posted:

I read a thing saying the map is going to be 3x the size of Skyrim. I kinda hope that's wrong, because Skyrim already had like 30 miles of boring nothing road between every single item of interest.

I thought that the ballpark estimation was twice the size of Skyrim. Either way, I hope that the map is more geographically interesting than what we got in Fallout 3. Skyrim's multiple, distinct biomes and miniature mountains were really well done.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tenzarin posted:

Guys guys, its going to be 8 times the size of vice city.

Does this count just the land mass or also the water around Vice City? I take video game maps very seriously so this is important to me.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AriadneThread posted:

i enjoy laughing at video games

But it's wrong to laugh at or make fun of a video game that I like.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

strong bird posted:

The bugs are approaching; the bugs that can be killed, only by the Player Character, with their fists. There is no way to defeat them, as I am not the Player Character. I am undone

NPCs don't have CHIM.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

frajaq posted:

Was there the same level of hate in pre-release Skyrim that there is in this thread right now?

Yeah the pre-release Skyrim thread was also a struggle between people who wanted to talk about the game and people who wanted to endlessly post IT'S JUST GOOD. Maybe there needs to be a carebear containment zone and then a regular discussion thread, hard to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Actually looking forward to a game is carebear now you guys, guess we've been video gaming wrong for too long now.

I'm looking forward to the game, but I don't feel the need to defend it from criticism or complain that there are people saying that it might be bad. Nobody here has played Fallout 4, so I think it's pretty dumb to whinge about people pointing out flaws from leaks.

Bholder posted:

If that thread was anything like the ones on the official Bethesda forum (and looking at this thread, it probably was) then "talking about the game" meant moaning about how great Morrowind was and video games will never be the same.

Nah, as far as I can tell the current wave of "I'm going to play it and nobody can stop me!" posts are in response to the leaks yesterday looking kinda maybe not that great.

Geomancing posted:

I wonder how well the UI will scale from the console version to the PC. Upon Skyrim's release, the UI was ... functional, shall we say, but the size of the text and the organization was lacking. Didn't it take forever for SkyUI to come out because the whole inventory/equipment/perk tree system was one big Flash file?

If I recall correctly the SkyUI release that just changed the font sizes was released pretty quickly, but from what I've seen of the leaks the menu text isn't as obnoxiously large as it was in Fallout 3 so maybe there won't be any mandatory patches.

• Locked thread