Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Re: GTX 750ti, is this it? Also, how hard is it to install a graphics card if you're a moderately alcoholic Luddite?

It's literally a 2 minute job; take off the side of the case, unscrew the old grahics card, unplug it from the motherboard, replace it with the new one.

Yeah that's a 750 ti. You'll have to do some looking at your current pc to see whether it'll actually fit though.

a)that's a dual slot card, so you'll need to check if there's a free slot (opening for the ports) at the back of your case, next to your current card. There probably is, but make sure!

b) That card you linked requires a 6-pin graphics card plug that comes from your power supply to function - I doubt your current card needs this extra power so your power supply probably doesn't have this plug. The card you linked does come with an adapter that fits two standard 4 pin connectors together to provide this power but it would be best to check beforehand if you have these spare connectors on your power supply (again, you probably do.

^^^^That being said, I believe the 750Ti is the most powerful card you can buy that comes in editions that don't require the 6-pin connector and just run off the motherboard, like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127784 So you could get that if you didn't want to faff with the power supply, which I totally understand.

So really all you need to do is check if you have a spare slot. If you don't (and you probably do), you could step down to the GTX 750 which comes in single slot variants.

Hope this helps

2house2fly posted:

It's easy enough, the PC user manual should have info on what to do.

Since we're asking about graphics card, is there a good online resource to find one that'll work for me? All the names people post are just a bunch of numbers with X or ULTRA and mean nothing to me, the whole area seems surprisingly newb-unfriendly. My PC is one of those thin ones so I need a small card specifically. I'll never be playing Witcher 3 on Ultra on this machine but I'd like at least a boost over the integrated GPU.

GTX 750 or 750 ti from nvidia is the default choice for 'cheapest gpu worth buying' and is a good starting point. Do ask in SHSC though.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Coolwhoami posted:

The 4790k (and many of the other processors of people mentioning low cpu utilization) are hyperthreaded, and by default fallout 4 does not understand this. adding iNumHWThreads=8 (in your case! That number should equal the number of threads for the specific cpu, and only does anything if you have more threads than cores) under general in fallout.ini should make the game recognize the extra threads in theory. I do not have a hyperthreaded processor so I've not been able to test this myself.

I've never actually seen any evidence that the thread ini settings have any perceivable performance benefit for the record, so use this with caution. The 'usethreadedx' ones definitely do nothing and sometimes destabilize the game.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I didn't realize I was on American Newegg at the time, would one of these, preferably a cheaper one, work just as well?

Yep, they're all pretty much the same. Last I checked MSI is the most highly regarded brand, but any of the brands on that page would be great.

I'd just look at the ones with one fan, as the ones with two all have the 6 pin connector I believe and may not fit in your case.

Coolwhoami posted:

I ran it at 8 on a 2500k for a few hours with no problems because I was dumb, so at worst it does nothing. I really should have just linked this because it's a decent tool: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/

Yeah, it's worth a shot at any rate. I think it's only the threadedAI one that fucks up the game.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah but in FO3 and NV you basically took the one power glove off and put the fist on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZErvASwdlU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

The New Original!

slippery slope to naming your gun after terrible pop-rap albums

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Police Automaton posted:

These get recommended since oblivion and I have the feeling they don't do anything either. (at best) With all the incompetency people say Bethesda has I still think if these options would do anything beneficial for most configurations (or hell, do anything at all) they'd be enabled by default. Honestly, the explanations for the options you find online read more like what people think these mean according to the variable name, not really knowing what they actually do.

Also, my advice for people with computers getting on in years - lock your Framerate to 30 FPS if possible. I know, I know for many this sounds awful but hear me out. It'll still appear reasonably fluid to you and a rock-solid 30 FPS will subjectively feel a lot better than a framerate that jumps +/- 15 fps and all over the place. Even though I upgraded recently I'm locking my framerate pretty much by default to 30 FPS for years now for all games I play, even those with rather primitive graphics. I've gotten used to it and with a modern graphics card and many games, the fan won't even spin up (which is always nice) and it'll have an measurable effect on power consumption. (although minor and very hardware-dependent)

This isn't a bad idea tbh - people tend to underestimate the value of consistency in framerate and graphics when it's actually a real benefit to the experience. With the control fuckery whenever the gamebryo framerate tanks it's arguably more important than ever. That said, I do appreciate the much-needed control responsiveness that higher framerates bring - when it gets low it feels like you're moving your view through a mixture of molasses and grit, even with a gamepad.

Also I'm pretty sure the thread setting hype stems from the collective wishful thinking of legions of people with early dual-cores, silently weeping watching Oblivion run at like 10fps with its CPU-rendered shadows, completely ignoring all but one of their cores. Thankfully since Skyrim at least the engine seems to have got a lot more sane wrt this.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 18, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I think... sweetfx was affecting my FPS? Got rid of it and I'm sure it's slightly better. Odd. Might turn off AA completely as well since it's pretty drat playable in the cities without the two. Shame the game looks so washed out without it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Fun fact, both Metro and Stalker are inspired by the same novel, Roadside Picnic. Metro was further inspired by Fallout, however! :eng101:

and, y'know, the metro book

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

No, I do realize the games takes place in 2287, I meant that they had no new music after the 50s until 2077, when the bombs fell. Must be some huge cultural stagnation if all people in the 2070s listened to was music that over a century old.

maybe the reason poo poo's still so wrecked is that everyone left is in a state of maudlin depression brought on by the radio playing nothing but ironic nuclear/death/apocalyptic oldies. or perhaps skrillex, macklemore and iggy azalea existed, just that no one burned them onto a holotape and buried them

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 18, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

It's great, though it's one of my least favourite songs in the soundtrack. I really like "Of Green and Grey", "Standoff", and "The Last Mariner".

I'm more of a fan of the Oblivion-style folkier stuff than the Skyrim-style bombastic film score bullshit. I'm in the minority for that probably, but Skyrim's soundtrack was just so loving generic.

skyrim itself was pretty loving generic. perhaps generic isn't the right word - there were plenty of interesting ideas but the execution was so dull. fight the same looking enemies in the same looking caves while doing the same randomly generated quests that are compulsory before you touch a story a human wrote and designed. that and talking to the dullest characters imaginable who all seemingly have the same voice (the actual VA count is pretty good but they all seem to have been directed to do the same 'bored sounding nordic accent' voice.) and it's all viewed through some bastard grey filter

parts of that game are absolutely marvellous but not for want of them desperately trying to send you to sleep at times. FO4 is a lot better in that regard; you feel compelled to sift through the dungeons and the characters are all better animated with actual voice direction and uniqueness to them

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

OK. But a real mini-nuke would have to be much more powerful than the ones we see in the game, right? That Davy Crockett thing sounds like it could easily take out several city blocks.

according to famed documentary 'metal gear solid 3' you're correct

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Iceshade posted:

Hold on! The MGS3 ones were "experimental" and contained a "vastly higher yield". Totes. :colbert:

maybe electric dude charged them with super saiyan energy or something :colbert:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Battle for Bunker Hill question: this quest feels really awkward, so awkward that I'm not sure I'm doing it right or my game's broken or something. I want to side with the railroad so I shoot the courser, then the brotherhood attacks (even though I didn't mention bunker hill to them) so the synths, railroad and brotherhood duke it out and just ignore me. Which is fine, except I can kill any of them with impunity and they never, ever turn hostile. The only things in the entire mission that showed up as hostile were a deathclaw that randomly decided to come in to tear poo poo up, and, for whatever reason, the railroad turrets in the underground area. Is this how the mission's meant to play? It feels so, so bugged. Like even more than the rest of the game.

not really a spoiler for anything but just in case

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

gullah jack posted:

the quest is working as intended. it feels like the intent with this quest is that you'd be hostile with at least one faction by this point but if you aren't it just comes across as hilariously busted. for me it was busted anyway, because a bunch of naked, invulnerable caravan guards got into the mix and killed everybody with their bare hands

What a weird oversight, also yep all the caravan guards in bunker hill are naked for me too. :downsbravo:

peak bethesda

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Hey, how does Power Armor + Unarmed play out? I've been mainly using Rifles for most encounters, but I picked up a few ranks in the Unarmed perk to use for close encounters after finding a heated power fist. So far punching people with the power fist has been a bit underwhelming, but I was thinking I could shift into power armor based build that used a high powered rifle for most encounters and switched to clobbering people with power armored fists up close/and for bugs and stuff.

iirc you can't use the power fist with power armour because it uses the gauntlet slot, at least I think

• Locked thread