Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I hated that horrible Mass Effect game because you could only play as "Shepard". Doesn't matter that literally every decision was yours, his/her voice was not in my head so it must be a pre-defined one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

For all the flaws of the last few pages, that's not really what's happening in this thread

You are right, it is just that every decision in games not retro or indy must be done by face-less, robotic company executives who care about nothing but objective statistics and how they can get profit from them.

Because if you truly love RPGs you would never give a voice to your main character.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Just so you know, voiced or not, but even in old Fallout all of your dialog options were pre-written, you could only say things the designers intended for you to say. Your options were always limited.

The only limitation voiced lines will add is that you won't be able to introduce yourself (and even that might be untrue now)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Having a voiced protagonist means having a VA budget that limits the amount and length of your responses. With an unvoiced character you can give the PC way more dialogue options to choose from.

Yes, and the graphics will take away the budget used for the RPG elements.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh god, I just noticed, the kid's name is Shaun.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

Encourage scavenging not hoarding.

I fail to see a problem here

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The crafting and base building systems will probably encourage picking up every bit of junk - at least until you have a sizeable stockpile. I just feel game designers can funnel our obsessive predispositions in more interesting directions. Not that I have any great ideas myself.

It's not any different from what we had before, which was "pick up everything because you might need it for something"

I also expect a desperate search for Teddy bears because you ran out of stuffings.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

This looks like a good way to turn exploration into more tedious bullshit.

So how is this different than collecting all mugs, pencils and toasters for the sink so they can break it down to more useful materials?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Why did you do this?

I can only see positives in finding actual useful items, instead of filling the world with literal useless junk.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Cephalocidal posted:

Endgame plot twist: You're an android and the main villain is the 200 year old ghoul of the person you're a copy of.

I seriously think that would be loving amazing, and that alone would make voiced protag worth it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Back on the crafting itself, it doesn't seem like it's about giving bonuses to your guns but to turn these guns into other guns.

Like they changed the barrel and the grip of a laser pistol and then it turned into a laser rifle, they put a scope in it and it turned into a laser sniper.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

Not sure how I feel about skills going away.

On the one hand, it was a pretty binary system--you either pump skill points into a skill or you don't--and it made Intelligence more important than it probably should be. On the other hand, they'd better have a great Perks system or I'm going to really feel the loss of "builds." And I hope Intelligence does something more than "some dialog options and increased experience gain."

Not sure what were these builts since you could only do a combination of punchman, shootman, talkman, sneakman, repair/scienceman.

I think if perks are going to act as gates like skills did, you could still do the same with them.

Although Bethesda is really not a big fan of holding content away so we might have to wait for the inevitable hardcore re-balance patch.

turboraton posted:

To each its own. But New Vegas has plenty of cool places (with mini stories) to explore and minimizing it like Minorkos did is what moved me to reply.

I quite honestly don't remember any of these mini-stories, except the ones from the vaults.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Triggered

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Another thing I noticed is that the Brotherhood was constantly used as an enemy example, so people asking for rear end in a top hat BoS got their wish I guess.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't think DC by itself is a lot more interesting either.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

DOMDOM posted:

I'll believe it when I see it

I've been playing through GTA5 this week and it takes a complete dump on everything bethesda has ever squeezed out in the past 15 years

Maybe open your eyes a little

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I still love how people hate Gamebryo just because it is Gamebryo. Like, none of you even know what Gamebryo is, or what part of the game make it "gamebryo", but the game from the same creators of it's predecessor looks similar to said predecessor, that must mean it is the same poo poo.

And even if they are using a pre-licenced engine, would you trust Bethesda to write their own engine?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

BTW mods for PC and XBONE are confirmed

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

oblomov posted:

Are mod tools not being released till q1 2016? Looks like xbone mods are early 2016 and PS4 after that. It would auck of we have to wait for months to get mod tools on PC, makes me a bit unsure about the pre-order.

So it's just like Skyrim

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Actually in Fallout 2 your character speaks up unprompted a couple of times.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So here's a video to get mad and angry about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNgEO6ehqp0

Interesting parts:
-Dialog system now actually allows you to have multiple talkers at once, loving finally
-Mods for XBONE

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm happy that Paul Eiding became a returning actor for Bethesda

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

HA, New Vegas being SIMILAR to Fallout 2, that's a laugh.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You guys seriously lost your poo poo because you cannot kill the dog?

Have you guys played any Fallout game? Not just 3 or New Vegas, ANY OF THEM!

Do you guys remember the Millitary Base? Have you ever used burst or explosive weapons near your companions?

THAT is why you cannot kill the dog.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

New Vegas never forced you to take the long way, they guided you there. They gave you the tools to break that guided path and if you did not use those tools that is entirely your fault.

That's basically forcing

Republican Vampire posted:

I was hoping it'd at least be trees. Jesus.

Wrong series.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

In all games no matter how evil you were, you had to find the water chip/GECK, you had to defeat the mutants/Enclave, unless you consider that lackluster "yes I join you" cutscene a valid ending.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I think since everybody was crying how the Brotherhood are supposed to be assholes not good guys, they are going to be the one of the enemies this time.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yes, but they don't tell you what kind of person you were, and they don't dictate how you respond to things by color coding them and weighting your responses exactly like freaking Dragons Age 2. You had a purpose and an origin sure, but your personality was never perfectly defined.

A couple pages back, but WRONG.

Actually, there was a perk that did exactly that.

Mordaedil posted:

The first Fallouts and nearly no RPG ever (that I've ever played, but I hate the Witcher so ymmv) has put you into a relationship at the beginning of the game, given you an off spring that is yours and essentially forced a religion on you.

Also wrong.

It is quite common for RPGs to give you some manner of backstory so the character is not just an outsider. Even in Morrowind you are forced to be an orphan from unknown parents so the prophecy fits.
Even better when you would think you had the agency to make up your backstory only the game telling you "HAHA, those are fake, you were this guy all along" *cough* Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Planescape *cough*

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Zzulu posted:

I prefered the protags with a backstory in the dragonage games over the generic Warden in the first game. I also liked Commander Shephard in the Mass Effect games

There's nothing wrong with backstory..

But you do have a backstory in Origins, that is the reason it has that silly subtitle

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, limiting the dialogue is kind of a big deal, at least from the role-playing perspective. One of the things I really liked in New Vegas was conversations with important characters like House, Caesar, and Joshua Graham. You had a lot of stuff to ask them and talk about, and you had the freedom to talk about whatever you want. Conversation in this will probably be pretty linear, much like how Mass Effect handled it. You may stop to ask a question here and there, but you can't choose where you want to go. It would be like talking to House, and instead of being able to ask him about anything you want to talk about, you get:
A: DO AS HE SAYS.
X: ASK FOR MONEY.
B: NO MORE.
Y: WHO ARE YOU?

Anyway, here's the 2nd of that thing by Twenty Sided, discussing how dumb Megaton and Dad are in Fallout 3.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27091#more-27091

You can do the same thing they did in Mass effect.

Left option: Tell me about...

then you can ask about things.

It's overall bad UI design to give a hoard of long text anyway, even in NW you would have to choose from 4-5 options.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The Enclave was retardedly evil in Fallout 2 as well, so it really wasn't 3's fault for showing them in the wrong light.

Also, the main complaint is about the story, the part which is beyond done at this point and there's no way it will be changed. The complaints are also "don't be Fallout 3" which doesn't really help much.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

What you're saying is we should wait until after it releases to complain? I mean, I don't see the difference in waiting or getting it out there now. :shrug:

You would actually have something to complain about

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, I don't understand. :confused:

They aren't going to change the introduction when it releases from what it looks like now, so I don't see what the difference is between waiting and now.

Unless you just feel Fallout 4 is perfect in every way and you absolutely need to silence any criticism of your favorite developers because they can do no wrong by you.

There's quite a bit of difference between seeing it and playing it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Wouldn't really be accurate at all because New Vegas is the best Fallout

That's a weird way to spell "Fallout 2"

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Genocyber posted:

you should play the borderlands games

Our serious games can only have referential humor and internet memes.
And a switch to turn them off.

Wolfsheim posted:

I also super hope that they've found a way to do late-game combat that isn't just adding 10,000 HP and 85% DR to enemies which has literally been the same problem in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Say, by adding some kind of damage threshold system, possibly with different types of ammunition? Just a thought.

I don't remember DR doing jack poo poo.
Heck, AP weapons seemed useless when you could just equip a better gun instead.

Only thing it did is making shotguns useless unless you pick a certain perk.

frajaq posted:

I think that gameplay mechanic they showed about damaging enemy armor as it flies off could fix some of the problems...maybe

Would be nice when fighting a Sentry Bot you could shoot the plates off the rocket loading mechanism and fire directly at the rockets, exploding it and even damaging enemies (and friends) around it.

Actually in Fallout 3, many enemies had parts that if you would hit, they would turn frenzy and attack their allies, they are usually robots.
They are also in New Vegas, but I barely remember using them there for some reason.

Now that I think of it, I remember there were more turrets to hack in F3, there were also more enviormental things you could do, like blowing up cars and igniting gas, I don't think I've seen any of these in New Vegas.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Raygereio posted:

If I recall right, most of those things were put in the early game though. If you follow the main quest, the first dungeon has this computer that you can use to release some gas near ghouls. And a conveniently placed laser pistol to ignite the gas and blow up the ghouls. You can't do that anywhere else. I always though Bethesda placed that sort of stuff there to impress reviewers.

No, I clearly remember multiple places with gas clouds, a couple of Vaults had them for example

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It's about as pointless as doing anything else

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Yep, this will definitely turn console gamers to modding :bravo:

Bethesda.NET is basically their way of saying "we tried the whole paid mods thing with Skyrim and failed but we're going to force it on you with FO4 regardless of whether you want it or not."

Can't wait for the inevitable lawsuits when someone rips poo poo from other games and puts it up for sale on BNet as their own mod.

They are not doing paid mods... yet.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Raygereio posted:

All Howard said is that "currently there are no plans for a payment system". That's a typical non-committal corporate line which doesn't actually say anything.
Bethesda isn't run by idiots. The pay-for-mods test run caused a fairly large poo poo storm. They know that if they announce another attempt at getting pay-for-mod of the ground at any point before FO4's release, they'll get another poo poo storm. One that will affect how FO4 will be received. It wouldn't significantly affect pre-order numbers. But it will put FO4 negatively in the news, and that's something they'll want to avoid.

If Bethesda is going to try it again, it will likely be announced shortly before FO4's toolset is released in early 2016.
And let's be honest here: It's pretty darn likely they will try it again. Sure, their Skyrim attempt was a PR nightmare. But it was successful as people bought mods. And Bethesda got money without them having to do anything. That's an awesome position to be in. Heck, if I were a Bethesda corporate suit, I'd try it again.
I will be happy if I'm wrong, but the Bethesda.net and the mods-on-consoles announcements aren't good signs.

You kinda contradict yourself here.

Unless they are planning to change how modding itself works, it is never going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Or that the console mods will likely be fairly limited because they won't be able to run the FO4 script extender.

... or any graphics mod

• Locked thread