Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

homeless poster posted:

nononononononono. d&d style alignment is dumb and bad and should not be emulated in modern game design. there are a variety of reasons why, but i think in this case one of the most pertinent is that bethesda does not have the creativity or the writing chops to create a scenario where "you do a morally gray mission for the Brotherhood". it will immediately boil down to BoS/Merchants/Junktown GOOD and Raiders/Enclave/Mutants EVIL and it'll just be so hackneyed that it'll be painful

what you are describing is almost exactly how the faction system in NV functioned and it was much better implemented that the old karma system. the fact that the karma system was barely functional in NV should be celebrated as them phasing it out.

I'd be in favor of abandoning it all together. Bethesda hasn't really had that many morally gray quests, at least going back to Oblivion so what is the point of it? The only thing I can think of is what perk you can pick up at max level which doesn't really justify the system. With a voiced character I think it'll be weird too since a player isn't going to have the ability to interpret how things are said.

To clarify, you might get a situation where you're a super nice dude when you interact with NPCs, but you steal everything and murder everyone. Doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Witcher does it right. Better when most of the time there is no clear answer and the consequences of your decisions result in different events down the line, or at least differences in how certain characters or factions perceive you. Having a bar that tracks how many times you pull an item out of a drawer in some random rear end building that happens to be "owned" by raiders even is stupid.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Yeah, punching out the journalist lady was a very pragmatic move.

And before that he smashed on the dude having a nervous breakdown.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Nobody solves problems like Mass Effect.

I mean it was over the top, but I still enjoyed it. Don't want that kind of swing in Fallout though.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Alain Post posted:

I love Mass Effect 3. GOTY IMO.

Didn't they pretty much squash any hope for a HD, or even standard re-release of the trilogy on current gen? I haven't had a chance to play through three yet.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Crabtree posted:

You hacked someone's computer, you gained evil Karma. You slept in someone's bed, you committed a crime.

Camp out on a ridge outside a prison and murder everyone you can see, savior of the wasteland.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

All I am saying is that so far the mechanics of a karma system have kind of worked against a player trying to role play a character. Might not be important to everyone and half the time it's not important to me, but trying to offset a karma hit because you looted something out of an owned container by fast traveling and murdering some dudes just doesn't really make sense when the two actions don't equal out in any kind of way.

Karma never really had any impact on the world state to begin with, so what's the point?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

That is a lot of complaining and no suggesting what could be done to change it or make it feel more realistic.

Like seriously, what do you even want? There's only so many things and states a video game can account for. Even something like the Nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor essentially work under the same principle. And it's not as if there aren't individual trackers per NPC for how much they like you, which is then applied with a modifier to the faction reputation.

Really, what more do you want?

Personally not every NPC needs to give a poo poo about the player. I know I keep saying they should handle it like the Witcher, but they really should. It really nailed the player being a character that had to make ambiguous decisions that didn't have clear outcomes, and it's okay that the result of those decisions isn't impacting the way placeholder NPCs respond to you. What's important is creating situations that make the player have some sort of investment in their choices.

Doesn't hurt if there are consequences to them as well. Main point is that the world shouldn't revolve around the player, especially a dude who was conked out for 200 years or whatever the gently caress and then started roaming around doing a bunch of random poo poo in a wasteland where no one knows who he/she is.

Part of the reason I liked NV over Skyrim is that everyone sort of magically knew that you were the Dragon Born in Skyrim. That really bothered me. In New Vegas people only really acknowledge you depending on how much work you've done for their faction, they don't just exclaim "Oh poo poo, courier six!"

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

computer parts posted:

No, they didn't. A lot of it was "oh yeah there's a Dragonborn around, that's what I heard".

Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. Woop. Either way I'd still like to have quests that play out more like the Witcher than previous Bethesda games because I personally struggled with choosing the right answer. In both games the NPCs don't really have anything meaningful to say, so may as well try to make the quests better in that regard is all I was trying to say.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, even though most people don't know Geralt by sight, they know him by name. "Geralt of Rivia" is a very well-known individual. But that makes sense since he has been roaming the world and doing deeds for close to a century.

True. I was referring more to the villagers and vendors. Quest givers tend to know who Geralt is since he usually is involved with pretty powerful and important people. That doesn't really bother me, honestly.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Part of that 63,000 lines of dialogue that T. Howard keeps prattling about is supposed to address contextual NPC "barks" so that there are fewer instances of "Let me guess: Somebody stole your sweetroll?" and more instances of "You sure look like you know your way around a computer!" and "I bet you could operate on yourself!" One of these barks even relates to being a "Child Killer"--a repugnant mark that the player could earn in Fallout 1 and 2--although the exact line is uncertain.

And that's pretty great. I have an issue with some random dude halfway across the map making some comment about how evil my dude is because I murdered a bunch of people on the other side of the map. How would they even know?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In New Vegas, at least, it was strongly suggested that the weird little boy at the 188 Trading Post ("The Forecaster") was a psychic conduit who could communicate with everybody in the Mojave like some sort of superbrain Ask Jeeves.

Well, the main offender in my experience was a result of the way they handled the fame/infamy system. Went into the Divide to the do the last DLC for my character and messed up my save, so I wasn't able to properly decide how to handle the whole "who ya gon' nuke" decision so I said gently caress it and nuked both the legion and NCR. When I wrapped up the DLC, because I had done several quests for the NCR prior, I had maxed fame for them and now maxed infamy so every random NPC I ran into was screeching about how I was a crazy person.

How the gently caress did you know that I was personally responsible for that when the nukes flew out of an area that people don't go to because of crazy storms, deathclaws and all the other poo poo? Didn't make sense and I lost interest shortly after.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Shugojin posted:

That's because all the nukes there were Bullet Bills who screamed SPECIAL DELIVERY FROM COURIER SIIIIIIIX as they raced out of the Divide.

Suddenly it all makes sense.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So there's been some talk of being able to increase special stats when you level in Fallout 4, is there any real confirmation of that?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

7c Nickel posted:

Well we know SPECIAL seems to start at 28 instead of 40 so it seems a safe bet. Theory right now is you can put your perk point into the stats or into the perk "block".

Wondering if they're going to adopt the system from Skyrim where you can reset a tree to keep leveling. I want that perfect character.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

7c Nickel posted:

That's only necessary because Elder Scrolls leveling is skill based. Fallout is XP based so there's nothing to stop you from leveling without a cap.

Well we don't know how it's going to play out quite yet. Or have they confirmed that Fallout 4 is XP based? I am concerned that they're going to do the whole "get better as you do things" leveling method.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Crabtree posted:

It's basically gaining talents and prestige levels through grinding smithing from skyrim, only now it comes from modding guns and armor and building houses or furniture to kill time. Well I guess they at least added more things to make instead of just sitting next the the furnace for hours on end!

I just want to avoid having to grind out skills I don't care about in order to get the XP I need for something else. If all perks are tied to special levels, and special levels can be increased just by doing whatever, that's awesome.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Yeah, like, how did potty training go? What was each day of school like leading up to the GOAT? What about all the other birthdays?

I don't really understand what point you're trying to make here. Are you agreeing with him or being awkwardly condescending in a way that doesn't make sense?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

graynull posted:

A non-vault dweller start, really. Time for your character to digest all these changes and all that crap just doesn't work as well for a video game as it would a book or movie. I also am more interested in MY IMMERSION than most players.

Play New Vegas instead, since it doesn't get into any previous details about your character aside from a place or two they may have been or a family they may or may not have.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

I would think playing a game for the first time, you could immerse yourself better if you're learning about things along side the character.

I guess you could go the opposite end of that spectrum, though, and end up with something like Destiny, where everyone but the player knows what's going on for the entirety of the game.

Playing the game for the first time doesn't really excuse Bethesda's writing. The way they introduce you to the world in Fallout 3 isn't that great, so it's not out of the question that someone playing it isn't immediately immersed despite it being the first time they play it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Yes, nothing more immersive than vague or no details...

I'd say that it is better to be thrown into it and learn as you go than have the set up of Fallout 3 where you apparently have a background but your knowledge of it is fragmented because it hops around so much and isn't really that interesting to begin with. Rather come up with my own character's origins than have certain details dictated to me poorly. But hey, that's just me.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

Don't engage with JackBadass, his opinions are bad and talking to him only serves to waste your time

I'm getting that impression.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

So your complaint about it seems to be in regards to your character's relation to other characters, as opposed to their lack of experience in the location, am I right?

No, you're not.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

frajaq posted:

The first location you probably go in the game after exiting the vault is an abandoned and destroyed village that you can loot stuff in the house wrecks, you also see a weird eyebot yelling american propaganda. If you go left you find a house with a scared junkie inside, if you keep going that way you find an abandoned school full of vicious raiders that want to brutally murder you. If you go right instead you end up in a town constructed out of junk with a nuclear bomb in the middle.

When I played for the first time I learned pretty quick what Fallout is about :v:

Oh absolutely, I was more referring to the vault sequence rather than your first encounter with the wasteland.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Then what is your complaint? You cite New Vegas as being better in this regard when it does the same things, just with better dialog.

As I said in my previous post rather clearly:

Rather come up with my own character's origins than have certain details dictated to me poorly.

Bethesda obviously had their narrative thing going on and I get that, but it wasn't introduced very well and wasn't particularly compelling throughout that quest line. I am saying New Vegas is better in that respect because you don't start off the game with character relationships dictated to you.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

You kind of did, though. Hell, the first [TIME FRAME REMOVED TO PREVENT CONFUSION] of the game you spend chasing a character that you had a bad relationship with. I wholeheartedly agree that 3's story was C- minus work at best, but NV was still guilty of this to a degree. A much smaller one, but still noticeable.

You're really annoying, and arguing for the sake of it while missing the point entirely.

The fact that you're chasing a dude who shot you in the face does not contradict anything I'm saying. Your character's origin, back story, experience and goals are not tied to the fact that Benny shot you in the face. You don't even have to acknowledge the fact that that happened once you gain control of your character.

What point are you trying to make, exactly?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

I'm pretty sure his entire shitposting ~thing~ is that NV was terrible and FO3 was much better, but I could be mistaking him for any number of others that were doing this same thing in this thread.

I like both games and would be happy to talk about the merits of both, but I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo about making a case for either one being DA BEST. If they do, they shouldn't.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Good, since that's what's happening here.

If you do, then that makes it okay. If you don't, then you have backstory with Benny prior to the game, and thus fall into the same problem. I seriously don't remember if you do, though.

I think it has been stated by the developers that the Courier doesn't have amnesia as a result of being shot in the face.

It's not really the same problem because the only real "backstory" you have as a result of being shot by Benny is that you're a wasteland person doing wasteland stuff, as is every single other person alive in the game. The difference between Vegas and Fallout 3 is that in Fallout 3 you have the whole vault dweller upbringing thing going on.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

This bothered me more than if they had actually forced some 'real' history between you two. It's really goddamn boring and stupid that his entire hangup with you is 'you delivered a package'.

I don't disagree, but the whole set up for that I thought was really great. Getting glimpses of this dude's vendetta across all the DLCs was really interesting and I was willing to put up with the bit of character dictation to see it. I mean really, this dude is straight crazy for being so pissed at you about it and that's what makes it so great because rationally how could anyone actually blame the Courier for it?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

graynull posted:

I thought he was fairly interesting until they revealed that he was basically just projecting his mental illness onto your character. I found it hard to remain engaged with someone else's psychosis.

There were definitely missteps, but over all I liked it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

I did all that poo poo for Moira and I never even got to bone her.

What the hell, game?? Bad writing indeed. I hope Fallout 4 will be more responsive to the player's needs in this regard.

Lone Wanderer is one of those "nice guys" apparently.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Crabtree posted:

All games are made better with Fisto. :smug:

Should have been a companion, for sure. Put that strong, strong arm to good use.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I let a woman in and then sent her out to die in the Wasteland because I didn't like her hair.

Kaiju's vault is a eugenics experiment. Pretty tame as far as vault experiments go.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bholder posted:

Yes, Light step, being immune to mines sure is an useless ability

I mean, it kind of is honestly. I never considered it for any of my characters because mines are completely avoidable if you slow down a little bit.

Maybe not useless, but compared to other potential perk choices it never stood out as one that a player should definitely get. Why would you when you can get a higher crit chance or more dialogue options? An argument could be made for role playing purposes I guess, but practically it's not a "top tier" perk in my opinion.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 28, 2015

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

I like light step because gently caress slowing down and I've had enough stimpacks go to repairing injured limbs that it is useful.

Fuckin legion putting mines under bodies and poo poo.

Does Light Step nullify the exploding baby carriages?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

JackBadass posted:

Nice shitpost.

You totally got him there, guy.

The fallout thread, where the depth of Samus' character is discussed. Game needs to come out already so there's something to talk about.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

CrazyLoon posted:

This is kinda a big problem with so many voiced protagonists, really, for me too - that a voiced protagonist definitely locks you into some things lorewise and I doubt it's gonna be different with Fallout 4. That being said, there is an advantage to voiced protagonists and that is - I like there being some pre-defined and set in stone history or background for the protagonist character and a good voiced character definitely brings more to the table there than a mute one. It really does help to tell the story a lot more coherently and drive the point of it home that much more, but the caveat is: so long as the writers know what they're doing. And be honest - even the Courier had a LOT of set in stone history and you couldn't just make believe everything about him/her (hell, the majority of The Lonesome Road hinges on that and I liked that DLC a fair bit precisely because of that, even though yea...having a mute stood out over there for me).

The problem is that as was said, you really have to work on having a rich and solid past that gets slowly unearthed as the game progresses if you're gonna have a voiced protagonist to get the most out of it. For example, I loved there being only one specific choice that you have to be sharp enough to choose, that allows you to finally learn about Lee's ex-wife and exactly how that went down right towards the end of the original Walking Dead and gently caress me if anyone says: "Oh no, that would've been SO much better if he was just a mute self-insert puppet." But not that many videogames go at it from that personal route. Bioware titles are kinda based entirely on the epic world events and only having the character background be sorta tacked on, rather than central...and the way Bethesda handled it with FO3 was very one-dimensional...so yea, I'm not holding out that much hope for FO4 to be something amazing, since like I said it's gonna be their first attempt at this and with a writer, that's definitely not proven himself for any kind of penchant for depth in his writing.

The potential is *definitely* there for it - you being necessarily a lone survivor and, as far as you know, the only remnant of an age that is now long gone? Definitely something where good voice acting coupled with good and in-depth personal character writing would really work well. The problem is...based on how FO3's writing went, I doubt we'll see that. The voice actors will no doubt do a drat good job of it...but the writing's probably gonna be the same black & white poo poo as in FO3.

But hey...it'll still be fun to gently caress some poo poo up and have a voiced protagonist do those random combat barks with sidequest poo poo or something, I guess.

I want to talk about this because everyone else was busy talking about something else.

I agree.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 8, 2015

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

LLSix posted:

I'm getting itchy for some Fallout action and 4 is still too far away. Is Tale of Two Towns good? I looked at the setup instructions here and they're involved. I've modded Skyrim a fair bit, but never did any major mods with Fallout.

Haven't checked it out myself since I'm pretty fresh off a NV play through, but most people say it's pretty stable. I enjoyed exploring Fallout 3 more than NV over all, so doing so with NV mechanics to me will be worth the trouble for my next play through.

As far as modding the fallout games, I had an easier time with those than Skyrim, personally. Go for it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've mostly heard good things about it--in the modding thread a lot of people have used it to replay Fallout 3 inside of NV. For such an impressive feat it actually seems very stable, too...to the point that people asking how to get back into modding Fallout 3 frequently end up just going the TTW route and exploring it within their New Vegas install.

Added benefit being that most (all?) of NV's mods work with it too. I think. Some of them probably require compatibility patches, but most of them already require those to begin with so it's just one extra thing to download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Something about the way Bethesda handles open world design just clicks for me. A lot of other games, have these big worlds, but they're filled with Activities that feel like this entirely separate element. There's too much checkmarking off of tasks. Everything just kind of...happens in games like Skyrim and Fallout 3. That thing tha'ts happening isn't always the most interesting thing ever, but when it IS. Maan. :allears:

Like, Fallout 3 gives you quests to stop a pair of rampaging cosplayers from destroying a town, get rare soda for a neurotic, cola-addicted woman who lives under a bridge, go to school and even destroy a book written by Cthulhu.. And New Vegas gives ya stuff like get a sex-bot for a bar, sent a religious group of ghouls into deep space to live on the moon, buy tumbleweeds from a mutant, get stoned on tribal drugs and beat up a flaming ghost bear and tell horrible puns to a 200-year old man.

And along the way you happen upon something interesting, I find. Something about the first person gameplay seems to lend itself to that. When I'm going after an objective in the Witcher and there's something between me and the objective it just feels like it's in the way instead of something I want to do most of the time. That might just be me though.

• Locked thread