Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Why does it seem so difficult to hit any object in Medieval Engineers?

Trying to build and destroy things like carts is really finicky. Seems like instead of just hitting whatever you clicked your character goes through a swinging animation, and at some point in that it decides what you will be hitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Rhjamiz posted:

Ugh, ok, so, how do you people get small ships built in your fancy ship factories? Getting a small projector attached to a Large Ship seems tedious as gently caress. And even compact Large Ships are too bulky to fit through most hanger doors.

Basically my idea is to make a Mothership that allows me to remotely build and pilot drones for the purpose of mining, repair, and defense. So that I never need to leave my comfy oxygen-filled Throne Room.

If you know the rotor trick to get a small ship and large ship on the same grid then it's pretty simple to design something from there.

Just stick a small rotor part on a large rotor base.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Poison Mushroom posted:

Just flip the engines and pull a Crazy Ivan.

Actually, has anyone done that successfully? Put large engines on rotors?

The issue I ran into was that the rotor parts weren't strong enough for any meaningful thrust.

Also as Sorus mentioned you need them firing straight through your center of mass, otherwise you'll spin.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

quote:

EDIT 10/30/2015:
Update 01.106.011
- fixed invisible voxels
- fixed rotors/pistons not being locked at high velocity

Maaaybe this time it'll work

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
My first game in months and I load in in atmo in a lander looking at the beautiful ground, then wondering why I wasn't slowing down, then panicking, cause I didn't remember the look outside key.

At least enough of it survived that I could figure out what went wrong. Main engines point down from seat position, and it spawns the ship in with you looking straight down.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Soooo, how do you get rid of like 10 million rocks? I made a rover that punches a 5x5 large block hole in the ground to about 50m. The idea was to make a small ship to mine out the flat vein after the rover does it's job, but gently caress it, feels more like SE to just punch holes in the earth.

I'll probably just build a stockpile of Large Cargo since rocks don't seem to despawn with this update.

Also wheels suck at holding a position and landing gear either send you to the moon or just explode. I just have it lift itself on pistons, but the terrain has to be rather flat for it to work.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Yisssss.

Thank you

Edit: Seems like they fixed rocks never being cleaned up. Welcome back framerate, I missed you.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 20, 2015

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I'm trying to make a big ramp for my airplane and those sloped armor ramps keep bending and deforming other blocks near them when I place them! What the gently caress? When I weld them it makes I giant bent thing that really defeats the purpose of having a ramp.

You're using smooth armor blocks. It tries to make a smooth surface and for the most part just fucks poo poo up.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This week's notable bug is that Small Block rotors won't attach to Large Block rotor bases. Needless to say, I am less than thrilled by this.

Nononononnono don't tell me this is happening.

Like half of what I make relies on that.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

squidflakes posted:

This planet is kicking my rear end. I've got exactly 0.3kg of uranium and I'm having a hell of a time building anything that can roll or fly effectively on battery power.

I tried switching to hydrogen thrusters and pointing two in every direction will suck that tank dry in about a minute.

I have yet to mine a single bit of ore.

I have yet to find a single bit of ore.

A ship built to hover using atmo thrusters is the most efficient thing that's easy to use on a planet. Just one or two large down thrusters(most efficient) on a small ship will lift a significant amount of weight. I have 9 drills being lifted by 4 of those. Then one or two small thruster in each direction, since you don't need the power or efficiency.

Also if you want a wheeled vehicle just set the wheels to zero friction and use it like a skate with a suspension. Wheels turbosuck for anything faster than slow.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Phi230 posted:

So I guess nobody plays Medieval Engineers

Sometimes I dick around and make a cart, then break it while building a keep and call it a day.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Hobnob posted:

Are rotors completely bugged in this game? I've not been playing long, but I found a cool-looking spawned ship that used rotors to switch twin arms between grinders and welders. (I think it was this one). While I was piggy-backing it back to my base it spontaneously exploded, which I wrote off as a glitch. Later I tried making a ship of my own using much the same idea, and it worked fine until I left it alone for a while, only for me to return to find it destroyed (along with a bunch of ships parked nearby). Reverting to a save, it does the same thing immediately, it's difficult to see but it seems the rotor arms fling themselves off the ship and smash into everything nearby.

This is all in single player. I've seen discussions that say pistons and rotors are glitchy in MP but no mention of them being buggy in SP. Should I give them up as a bad job?

I was able to fix this by setting the rotor displacement out. At least it's been fine for a few hours.

It'll explode right after I post this.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

counterfeitsaint posted:

I haven't played this game since before planets, but I decided to try out the planets.

Started survival on the earth like planet, barely 10fps, the steady steam of drones start messing up my single turret, I manage to dig up a handful of resources, either the conveyer system isn't set up right or I can't figure out how it works, keeping the one turret repaired is a full time job since I have to manually move poo poo between the refinery, my inventory, and the assembler, I can't seem to salvage anything from drone wrecks except iron, turret eventually dies. I decide to try attacking instead. Only 6 minutes of fuel, shot down on the first pass over, ejected, turned on jetpack and dampeners, didn't slow down in the least and died. I give planets a 2/10.

The spiders are okay looking I guess.

Do you have a conveyor block somewhere in that setup? You just need one to run a whole connected conveyor system, but the conveyor block itself gets overlooked a lot.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
MP is super broken this week, at least on planets and Stable version.

Phantom forces on everything, meteor showers every 30 seconds, then stations stuck in the ground just decided to start throwing a rave and murder everyone on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Statutory Ape posted:

Is multiplayer finally ok in space engineers

Ok is exactly how I would describe it.

• Locked thread