Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Uncle Spriggly posted:

How many large thrusters can a large reactor power? I feel like I never have a good bearing on engine to power ratio and make my decisions completely for cosmetic reasons.

I do genuinely think that all thrusters should have to be connected to either the conveyer system or to some sort of fuel tank.

With hydrogen thrusters you can do exactly this thing and as an added bonus hydrogen thrusters are really strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

With hydrogen thrusters you can do exactly this thing and as an added bonus hydrogen thrusters are really strong.

I hope they do this with all thrusters, probably cause I like to punish myself in survival mode.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Stream is on, hype!

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013
Anyone else's rotors detaching randomly?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

So according to the stream Artificial Gravity won't work in anything greater than 0.5g Planet Gravity according to the stream. I'm not sure I like that, that means to gravity lifts in your planet bases :raise:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Watching the stream as he bounces over those green hills I can't help but wish they'd add power skis and tribes style momentum weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbhxf6M1Vo

Got this from the stream chat, thank gently caress it wasn't goatse.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 23, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uncle Spriggly posted:

How many large thrusters can a large reactor power? I feel like I never have a good bearing on engine to power ratio and make my decisions completely for cosmetic reasons.

code:
Small ship
           Sm Thrst  Lg Thrst
Sm Gen      2.5       1/5
Lg Gen      17        6
Battery     21        1.8

Large ship
           Sm Thrst  Lg Thrst
Sm Gen      4.5       1/2
Lg Gen      89        8.9
Battery     3.5       1/3
*numbers subject to change, thrusters are probably going to have yet more power updates as they fiddle with the whole concept

Icedude posted:

So according to the stream Artificial Gravity won't work in anything greater than 0.5g Planet Gravity according to the stream. I'm not sure I like that, that means to gravity lifts in your planet bases :raise:

Yeah but otherwise why bother with anything but anti-gravity drives for planet take-off?

Maybe they can bring back ladders.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 23, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Klyith posted:

Yeah but otherwise why bother with anything but anti-gravity drives for planet take-off?

Maybe they can bring back ladders.

I'd be fine with just disabling Artificial Mass and Spaceballs in a gravity well.

Either that or give better ways of moving up and down, either ladders as you said, or a better way of making elevators.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hotfix dropped. The asteroid LOD is back to normal.

Is there patch notes for hotfixes?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

Hotfix dropped. The asteroid LOD is back to normal.

Is there patch notes for hotfixes?

The changelog updates with an appended entry at the bottom :ssh:.

quote:

Update
- fixed crash when connecting to the game
- fixed crash with destroying voxels
- fixed crash when character was changing suit
- fixed crash with rotors and pistons
- fixed crash when merging grids
- fixed crash with oxygen
- fixed turrets always using conveyor system even when set to off

Verizian posted:

Watching the stream as he bounces over those green hills I can't help but wish they'd add power skis and tribes style momentum weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbhxf6M1Vo

Got this from the stream chat, thank gently caress it wasn't goatse.

Wow, those are some powersliding bugs :rice:.

Icedude posted:

I'm actually okay with that. It means you don't have to fiddle with your ship/shuttle gravity every time you so much as get near a planet. And have to plan your approach instead of going in nose-first.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That is a big bug.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm actually okay with that. It means you don't have to fiddle with your ship/shuttle gravity every time you so much as get near a planet. And have to plan your approach instead of going in nose-first.

I'm still going nose-first at 300 m/s, I'll just have two large hydras on the nose too. Up until they model G-forces anyway

E: They need a Small Hydrogen tank. On a small ship it's 5x5x5, same as a large cargo. Waaay too big for the micro-fighters I like to make. You can kinda get around it with OxyGenerators loaded with ice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Found the stored stream... and you can't use Jump Drives within a planet's gravity. No Adama Maneuver for me :negative:. The guy even specifically mentions that scene from Battlestar Galactica too :allears:.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
drat nerds ruining our nerd fun!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo where's that stream upload at?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McGiggins posted:

drat nerds ruining our nerd fun!

No orbital bombardment with a battleship either, because the atmosphere extends about 15-20 kilometers :eyepop:. On the plus side, there's an altimiter and horizon indicator on the hud while in a planet's influence.

frank.club posted:

Oh, right :v:. Enjoy

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

frank.club posted:

Edit: gently caress, beaten BUT WITH A TWIST

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No orbital bombardment with a battleship either, because the atmosphere extends about 15-20 kilometers :eyepop:.

:manning: Not even torpedoes or even just chucking rocks? Laaame.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Triskelli posted:

:manning: Not even torpedoes or even just chucking rocks? Laaame.

Well, torpedoes built out of parts and engines should still work. Chucking rocks, not so much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rhjamiz posted:

Well, torpedoes built out of parts and engines should still work. Chucking rocks, not so much.

Whaddya know, a use for the telescopic gunsights on my gravity cannons...

Also it looks like Atmospheric Thrusters aren't conveyor-fed. They're just straight self-contained jet engines that work in atmosphere.

edit: Added the recorded stream link to the OP.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 24, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Are the new sliding doors bugged?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm still going nose-first at 300 m/s, I'll just have two large hydras on the nose too. Up until they model G-forces anyway

E: They need a Small Hydrogen tank. On a small ship it's 5x5x5, same as a large cargo. Waaay too big for the micro-fighters I like to make. You can kinda get around it with OxyGenerators loaded with ice.

Why not just turn the ship around and use the main thrusters to slow down?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just flip the engines and pull a Crazy Ivan.

Actually, has anyone done that successfully? Put large engines on rotors?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Last I know it doesn't function quite right, center if lift is thrown off since stuff attached to rotors counts as different grids.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So, seeing as the atmosphere of a planet is 20km deep, nuking it with Eikester's Nuke Launcher is a bit impossible unless it's a ship designed for it or a one-way trip.

Solution;

Send the launcher with the nuke itself to make an Airburst Gravity-Propelled Shell :v:. Anything comes within 20m of the front (ie; roughly a second or two prior to impact) or within 50m of the sides, the sensor tells the nuke launcher to Shoot Once and everything goes bye-bye.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Poison Mushroom posted:

Just flip the engines and pull a Crazy Ivan.

Actually, has anyone done that successfully? Put large engines on rotors?

The issue I ran into was that the rotor parts weren't strong enough for any meaningful thrust.

Also as Sorus mentioned you need them firing straight through your center of mass, otherwise you'll spin.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Are there any numbers on hydrogen thruster fuel consumption?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm, my asteroids still aren't rendering, and the sliding doors no longer animate, just shift into different positions based on how much time has passed since you last activated it.

On the other hand, they were great when they were working.

Time to file a bug report.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

It's been muted :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Firos posted:

It's been muted :(

It plays just fine. No idea what got muted, but the vast majority of it that I watched had sound.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

So I guess from watching the preview it looks like distance between planets its rather large and jump drives are supposed to be used to go between them? They only go 5km though so I can only assume this number will increase by a factor of 100 or so?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
5km is the minimum jump range

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

5km is the minimum jump range

Yeah, the average jump distance is something like 1250km per Jump Drive depending on how much mass your ship has. Darth Biomech's Hyperdrives go a lot further and two of those on a small-ish ship will get you about 850,000km in a single jump.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, the average jump distance is something like 1250km per Jump Drive depending on how much mass your ship has. Darth Biomech's Hyperdrives go a lot further and two of those on a small-ish ship will get you about 850,000km in a single jump.
Which, is, by the way, still only just shy of 3 light seconds, and just a touch over a half of a percent of the distance between the earth and the sun. To put it another way, it would talk almost 180 jumps like that to get from the Earth to the Sun.

Space is really loving big.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 24, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Which, is, by the way, still only just shy of 3 light seconds, and just a touch over a half of a percent of the distance between the earth and the sun.

Space Engineers takes place in a world where everything is actually very very tiny.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Some dude on the other forums suggested that they make a gas giant skybox as the official one, and then we could be derping around between planetary moons and ring systems to explain the scale. Still is too small for that but whatever.

Also, now with the hydrogen thrusters I can make my ridiculous space hotrod a reality!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Which, is, by the way, still only just shy of 3 light seconds, and just a touch over a half of a percent of the distance between the earth and the sun. To put it another way, it would talk almost 180 jumps like that to get from the Earth to the Sun.

Three days to get to the sun is still pretty good though :v:. (The Hyperdrive has a much longer charge time of 22 minutes).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hydrogen thrusters look so much nicer than ion thrusters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GotLag posted:

Hydrogen thrusters look so much nicer than ion thrusters.

They really do :allears:. I'd suggest leaving one thruster in each cluster as an Ion Thruster though, just in case fuel runs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Working on a ship now and I think I will use ion for all the turning thrusters on the various sides and hydrogen for the main thrust.

• Locked thread