Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The biggest thing that will hold SE back in the end is the same thing that had made it really interesting, it's adherence to realism at any cost. I love SE's mining and physics and upcoming planets, but StarMade's weapon/shield systems and actually having AI to fight makes it more enjoyable I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Does this mean we'll be able to reenact the historical document "The Core?"

Better stock up on hotpockets in that case.

They help me concentrate.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe water will be a new resource, like oxygen, and you need to keep big tanks of it, that can be breached.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

OwlFancier posted:

One would wonder what the point of interior turrets are if they can't target human sized objects.

Are boarding drones a thing yet?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

McGiggins posted:

That's a good point, I thought the spiders were smaller than they were but I just took a second look at that shadow.

Maybe they swarm like all good Australian spiders?

Does not compute.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

frank.club posted:

I played it for a bit. Pushed a cart around and then a man came and killed me.

I think this should be the OP.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mercutio Martino posted:

Oh same here. Crack a moon in half just right so that the pieces still maintain orbit, give it a cool atmosphere.

This is literally how planetary rings are made.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't think they'll actually simulate an orbiting moon ripped apart by tidal forces and become a ring, but they've got asteroids and planets, why not arrange them in a ring like shape?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm still going nose-first at 300 m/s, I'll just have two large hydras on the nose too. Up until they model G-forces anyway

E: They need a Small Hydrogen tank. On a small ship it's 5x5x5, same as a large cargo. Waaay too big for the micro-fighters I like to make. You can kinda get around it with OxyGenerators loaded with ice.

Why not just turn the ship around and use the main thrusters to slow down?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How the gently caress did I manage and miss noticing this for so long?

Good thing I have to add a few more lights around anyway :cripes:.

God, what a piece of poo poo ship you have there. I suggest you blow it up and start a new one from scratch with properly aligned lights.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

GotLag posted:

Hadn't thought of that, but I run everything I possibly can in windowed full-screen anyway because I have multiple monitors.

Windowed fullscreen always works just fine for me, it just goes in the primary monitor? :shrug:

Edit: Oh, duh. I thought you said you can't use windowed full screen due to multiple monitors. Reading comprehension, who needs it?

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 3, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mister Adequate posted:

I've been trying to think about how to build a borehole miner or something similar, but I came across a better solution: Build a ship that is big enough to just devour an entire planet. :iia:

e; I don't know if it would be possible, but might we mod in a block hard enough to just punch into a rock and serve as a piton? That'd sidestep problems with clamps or wheels. Or build something that drills into the borehole's sides, retracts the drills, descends a couple blocks, and then inserts the piton into the gaps.

e2; The other problem, it occurs, is getting a mining rig back out of a borehole.

No, no, dig UP!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I haven't played this game since before planets, but I decided to try out the planets.

Started survival on the earth like planet, barely 10fps, the steady steam of drones start messing up my single turret, I manage to dig up a handful of resources, either the conveyer system isn't set up right or I can't figure out how it works, keeping the one turret repaired is a full time job since I have to manually move poo poo between the refinery, my inventory, and the assembler, I can't seem to salvage anything from drone wrecks except iron, turret eventually dies. I decide to try attacking instead. Only 6 minutes of fuel, shot down on the first pass over, ejected, turned on jetpack and dampeners, didn't slow down in the least and died. I give planets a 2/10.

The spiders are okay looking I guess.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bondematt posted:

Do you have a conveyor block somewhere in that setup? You just need one to run a whole connected conveyor system, but the conveyor block itself gets overlooked a lot.

I didn't build it, it was the started base from the first custom world. One would assume it came with a functioning conveyor system, but maybe that's assuming too much.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I couldn't find any actual starting material, which was surprising. My inventory had only tools, and the entire base inventory had only fuel and bullets. There's some nearby deposits underground, but that was it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My understanding is that multiplayer is broken and I should stick to single player, is that correct?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Spookydonut posted:

I still don't understand why anyone would ever use wheeled vehicles

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Holy poo poo I thought this game died in development hell, but here you fuckers are building custom made three stage rockets and cluster bombs.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rhjamiz posted:

So Empyrion is pretty good right now, after a few hours anyway. It's a lot more satisfying in a survival sense, and has actual enemies!

I'd say worth it if you were hoping for actual survival elements in SE.

:agreed:

Empyrion is like if SE tried a little harder to be an actual game instead of just a physics simulator.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also has an internal hangar with an Ant buggy tossed in. For sick offroad stunts while planetside.

You should call that the Picard-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

These are great design choices, all except for, checkerboard? Seriously?

To be fair, it is literally made to be a finish line.

• Locked thread