Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nalin posted:

It is a programming thing. It's basically an anonymous function. The programmable blocks use C# so they are saying that they've fixed a problem with using C# lambda functions.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397687.aspx
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16501/what-is-a-lambda-function

e: Didn't mean to empty quote. Doh.

I freaking hate lambdas. They're an annoying as poo poo shortcut that makes your code less readable for very little to no benefit over standard methods.

Anyway, the release last Thursday broke scripts that use it, most notably for me Taleden's Inventory Management.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TTerrible posted:

Ah poo poo, nice. I did have a quick look through the F1 help stuff but it wasn't in there. I didn't think it would be as simple as the scrollwheel. Does R interact with blocks with the little + on them or something? I want my conveyor tubes back :(

R toggles between large and small grids. Blocks with the + on them are ones you can use the scroll wheel to cycle through different versions of them. So to get a conveyor tube you select the conveyor block (in placement mode, not the G menu) then scroll the mouse wheel until you get the block you want.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The geniuses misnumbered the in-game version again, so you'll need to dig into your savegame's config file and dial back the version number there (it thinks it's version 1.144.11) to stop the game throwing a fit about it being made in a newer version.

edit: Mod block textures are apparently broken as well, but I'm curious to see if that's just a knock-on effect from the incorrect version number.

This week's release was pretty poo poo. In addition to those issues them changing the name of the dev branch from development to develop caused fun problems, switching people from dev to stable with no notification and messing with dev-branch servers.

Not sure how that missing texture bug wasn't caught and didn't get hotfixed immediately. Oh well, that's what I get for being on the devlopment... err.. develop branch.

e: Also noticed the ship floating away from planets issue seems to be happening a lot more the last couple of weeks. I'm now paranoid about parking my ships on anything that isn't a structure. Desync seems to be happening a lot more with this release as well. I've seen this fun one several times yesterday as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAQo2Ua76Cc

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 27, 2016

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Jesus loving Christ, are they ever going to get to an actual stable 1.0 release with this loving game? According to Wikipedia this went into beta in 2013, that was 4 loving years ago. Of course I also paid for Miner Wars when Miner Wars was sold as the game Space Engineers actually was, then was thrown away, so I have only myself to blame.

Ok, that's harsh, I got more than my money's worth from the game but I'd like to be able to get back into it without new poo poo breaking every week or month and I tried that a few months ago and things did not end well.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My favorite welder bug is where it locks your ship to the thing you're welding and you have to get out and unpark and repark the ship being welded despite the fact that your welder ship is nowhere near the landing gear and not in range of them at all. Technically that's probably more of a landing gear bug but I've only ever had that happen while welding with a welder ship.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

XkyRauh posted:

That sounds like the bug that was happening with batteries. Basically, your client is de-syncing with the server, and the server thinks you're docked/connected while your client thinks you're not. So on your client, you gun the thrusters and try to launch, and the ship sort of twitches and rubberbands back.

Usually logging out & reconnecting to the server will resolve the issue.

Another fun bug was the anti-gravity bug that would cause your ship to float out into space if you'd been parked on a planet directly. So you'd log in for a fun session of SE, go jump in your ship to do some stuff and the server crashes or you get kicked off because you're playing SE and when you finally get back in your ship has floated 5000KM away and you never see or hear from it again until the server admin asks why you're abandoning some large grid in the middle of nowhere.

Oh yeah, also the super-awesome bug where you can destroy an entire server by having a grid with lots of storage room and accidentally leaving a factory on auto-repeat building unstackable items so that the grid has thousands of that item in it and anyone that gets within a certain range of the grid brings everything to a halt while the server continually transmits the state of that grid's inventory. Not that I've ever done that because that's stupid. :shobon:

I did post a thread on the official forums about that because at the time there was no way to prevent the issue and could be pretty easy way fro someone to grief a server. Really hope they fixed that.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 19, 2017

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo, we actually got Hotfix notes for once;

Also a self-contained Gravity-Propelled Cannon module to stick in your own small-block ships. Just remember to aim it away from your face, I don't wanna get sued.

New problem, opening doors crashes the server and wipes your hard drive. Also, pressurization kills your entire family IRL.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ghost of Starman posted:

I think I poked my head in here like a year ago to ask how people liked this game - glad to see this is still going. For $7.50 I'm probably gonna pick this up on Steam but uh... what do you all think the over/under is on actually making it to release?

(Also has anybody written a "How to get Started" / "Known Issues to Watch Out For" post in the last 100 pages)

It'll make it to release. Whether it's a real release or a "gently caress it, this is now 1.0." release is the big question. At this point I'm leaning towards the latter.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sorus posted:

Eh, I don't really think this is the sort of game that gets released, where release means a halt or slowdown in development.

Games of this sort that do that die.

No-one really cares if the game is ever actually "released", which doesn't mean dev would need top stop, though it typically does. What people do want is a stable and optimized version of the game they can play for extended periods without some new poo poo breaking every update. I know they have "stable' and "dev" release streams (or whatever they call them, it's been a while) but even the stable version has been neither stable nor optimized. It's more stable than dev of course.

Last time I got back into the game I had to play dev stream to play multiplayer because the MP code was so utterly horrible in stable it was virtually unplayable due to constant rubber banding the entire time you played no matter what server you were on or what your ping was.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

XkyRauh posted:

I think they're up to their 3rd or 4th unique team member assigned to the forum. The latest guy is very good about responding to posts in the Bug Report Forum, while pulling useful information out of the "omg gaem broek fix ur gaem plz" posts. :)

Thanks for the laugh, even though that's just a literal quote from half of all bug reports. Replace "gaem" with "poo poo" for non-game software. The other variation replaces the plz with a nearly infinite stream of !'s and 1's.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

squidflakes posted:

On one hand, gently caress these loving NPCs. On another, now that SE is somewhat more stable, I really miss the thrill of losing hours worth of work to stupid bullshit.

That's what playing with "friends" is for.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Less Fat Luke posted:

Ugh, be warned that there's a gamebreaking bug in the latest update around welding:
https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1-184-200-ds-mp-massive-lag-and-sim-speed-drop-when-welding-grinding-placing-blocks.7397481/

Not sure how that got out without testing!

What do you mean without testing? You just tested and found it. Welcome to Space Engineers.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

counterfeitsaint posted:

Holy poo poo I thought this game died in development hell, but here you fuckers are building custom made three stage rockets and cluster bombs.

It's still in development hell and breaks in multiple new and highly annoying ways every week but it's also cool as poo poo.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rhjamiz posted:

So Empyrion is pretty good right now, after a few hours anyway. It's a lot more satisfying in a survival sense, and has actual enemies!

I'd say worth it if you were hoping for actual survival elements in SE.

Empyrion doesn't have the Rube Goldberg mechanics I like from Space Engineers. If all you want is to build space ships to fight with some survival mechanics it's OK but you don't get to engineer systems and don't have to deal with things like connections of resources, power, etc... which is a big part of the fun in SE for me.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Jerkiness of the netcode and clang on display in that video. :(

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Had an idiot join a server I was playing on and the first thing they asked was if griefing was allowed. I had no idea and didn't respond though usually actual griefing (not what you described, though still lovely) is generally not allowed in most games PvP or not. Then a few minutes later they ask to join a clan.

Some other new player was naive enough to let them join and amazingly they didn't immediately turn on the player. They did get into slapfights for a couple of hours until they needed to respawn and didn't read the warning that selecting a new ship would wipe their character and threw a fit then rage quit.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

neogeo0823 posted:

Yo goons, I last played this game right around 4 years ago. Back then, there wasn't much in the way of gameplay, and the netcode was lovely, and resulted in ships that were very jittery, where players clipping right through a ship was a common thing. How's the multiplayer experience gone since then? I'm hoping it's improved a bit? I'm kinda getting the itch to try this game out again, but if the multiplayer is still crap, then that'll sour things for sure.

The net code is much better now. Most of the jitter issues and rubber banding has been fixed, though low sim speed is still a major issue with most servers when more than a few players are on at once or big collisions happen.

It's way more playable now that in it was and there's supposed to be another big update soon (maybe it already happened? Haven't played in a couple weeks) with more optimizations I believe.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Hydro Survival has been around for years (144.217.11.143:27010) and the population averages around 10 at peak times, which is high for SE. They reboot the server every 6 hours to help with performance issues and only hydrogen thrusters are allowed though they've got a tiered thrusters mod installed. They've got a bunch of other mods as well, mostly additional superficial blocks for more building variety.

However, because it's been around so long, there are quite a few people with 40K+ block ships and structures so it can have simspeed issues during peak times.

I think reset times are generally 4PM, 10PM, 4AM, 10AM central time. That's relevant because their space start is in a damaged ship and you're gonna need at least a couple of hours to repair it or tear it down to build a starter base on a nearby asteroid as it disappears when you log out or the server restarts.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Wonder if that bug is still around where you can make a server unusable just by settings some assemblers to repeat build unstackable item and forgetting to turn it off. Like guns for instance. They don't weigh much so you can crank out hundreds if not thousands to fill a few large (large grid) storage containers since there is/was no limit on the number of items they could contain, just weight. Then whenever someone gets close the game transmits the entire contents of all inventories and that kills the server.

I reported it a couple of years ago when I did that on accident but never got a response from Keen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sent a request, I'm RandomBlue on Steam as well.

• Locked thread