Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Devo posted:

Mine always seems to offer them to me like right after I turn 16 and I'm not worried about it yet. The one time I said yes I'm pretty sure my dick fell off or something.

That only happens to me when I ask him for a gout treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kaza42 posted:

Since you tend to want to keep your gates closed when a disease is adjacent to your capital as well as when it arrives, a maxed capital hospital can essentially double the time you have your gates closed.

With the Plague be sure to close your gates well before it gets anywhere near your castle. Spread 3 counties in one tick in my game, even tho the interface showed no spread strength yet.

Abandon the peasants early and often.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I've just started this and after doing a bit in Ireland to learn the basic basics, I decided to do an ironman Charlemagne.

I have questions about gavelkind and empires and kingdoms. I'm assuming I can spin off the kingdoms as vassals? What's the "safest" way to do so? My second son is due to inherit Bavaria and East Francia, is that going to be "ok" from the perspective of them all being under my umbrella?

Also, is there a good way to invade Saxony? If you total up the entire country's supply limits it can support about 4 guys and a donkey. Eating 20% attrition on my army when fighting their 7500 prestige summoned troops is savage.

e: while I'm at it, making a mercenary company: 1) is there any good way to see what sort of income I'm making from them, and 2) can they be hired to attack you or do you get some cover in that regard?

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 2, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, what's the best way to counter the advanced Viking 9th century mole machine technology? Is there a mod to make giant red arrows to track the tiny ripples in your empire they make before burrowing to the surface with 6500 troops?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No Pants posted:

I have this problem, but with all the adventurer raiders that pop up. It's only annoying while my dukes are poor, but it got so bad one run that I console-killed the leader of every one that appeared.

I don't care so much about the adventurers themselves, I just run them over with my retinue, it's just that they're all but invisible as they march unchallenged across my lands, burrow up to the surface with their "raiding enabled!" button, then disappear beneath the fields when you chase down the retreating band

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Soho Joe posted:

I managed to gently caress up the Charlie start so hard that my vassals made me abdicate before my mom could kill Karlo.

In my game Karlo declared war on Lombardy on about day two and promptly died in battle

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I solve succession crisis in my France game with intrigue focus and murder

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've got another newbie confusion question. My France start is going OK so far (my next succession is gonna be horrible, my only son ended up with 6 diplo so everyone's gonna hate him)

One thing I know is going to happen sooner or later is a major war with the Umayyads. I've been keeping an eye on troop counts just so I know how bad it'll be, and I noticed something weird:

How does he have 2k/1k personal levies, and 23k/14k vassal levies? Is the over cap troop levies a Sunni thing?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ninjahedgehog posted:

His predecessor probably raised those levies before he succeeded, or perhaps he did something to tank his vassals' opinions of him while the levies were raised. Once levies are raised, they're yours unless they die or the lord of those levies stops being your vassal somehow.

EDIT: although it doesn't look like he's at war, so he doesn't have any reason to be raising levies at all.... :iiam:

Yeah, he had some rebellions a year ago, the last thing I actually saw him raise troops for was to chase down some viking raider. Maybe he's kept them raised and is still chasing that raider and that's why he's at -700 gold.

e: I'll have to keep an eye on that, if he actually drops to 13k at some point I should go roll over him (and generate so much threat in the process the Pope would defend him next time, which is just silly)

On that last topic the threat system is just silly. As it is right now if I even sneeze in the general direction of Saxony I get 75% threat and the Pope forms a defensive pact then excommunicates me.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 7, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just noticed I don't have Jade Dragon. If I add that will it break my france game? (and if I just enable/disable it based on the save I'm playing will that work fine?)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coward posted:

An "Innsmouth Look" trait that can bred into your line would be an interesting set of Events.

Dunwich Horror chain of events

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It makes decisive victories in wartime a gigantic pain in the rear end. Before it was a balance problem, afterwards it was a tedium problem.

Let's not pretend chasing an army back and forth between two counties killing 4 guys at a time before they break again isn't tedious.

With the broken retreat I often can finish sieging down a county or two before the army comes back.

I just wish there was a happy medium/max break distance, because what is frustrating is things like viking raiders that broken retreat about 3 continents away with complete immunity.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

luxury handset posted:

1) this is going to be a very slow start, try a 1066 venice first before you die of boredom

I'm doing a 769 tribal Denmark -> Merchant Republic start and you can't stop me or Hel

At least til the game forces me to become Christian because you can't apparently be a Germanic pagan merchant republic. Then I guess I'll have to open my heart and put my faith in Satan.

e: hmm, apparently there is a Germanic reformation option, and I already control two of the holy sites. Perhaps I shall just make this take longer than it already is so me and Hel can continue to be bros

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 8, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Harder, yes. But it also gives you more reasons to say "gently caress this dude and his whole dynasty" which makes things more fun.

If exterminating everyone that has a claim on the Kingdom of Bavaria is wrong, I don't want to be right

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. You just have to be reformed then you can keep being a mad bloodthirsty Viking while also liking fancy hats. You need either all 5 sites or 3, 50% moral authority, and 750 piety.

You get authority and piety for pillaging other religion's churches so I think you know what the correct answer is.

Do you know offhand if I need to personally hold the sites, or is realm OK?

Looking at it I've got 500 piety, 45% moral authority, and the third holy site I need is the solitary independent county left on the coast. Quick vassalization and kicking around a couple of Slavs and I'm golden

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As France I put a Lombard in a city holding and pressed his claim, so now the whole of Italy is a Serene Republic.

My Viking Republic plans are somewhat thwarted. Germanic lets me have concubines and while merchant republic doesn't say it forbids them, there's no valid targets for take concubine :argh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Goon Danton posted:

Looking it up, the wiki says pagan patricians should be able to get concubines, so I'm not sure what's up there. Try doing it from the woman's diplo page directly, as it should at least give a reason for not letting you.

I figured it out, I was in hiding. It doesn't even show the take concubine option on the women when you do that, much less tell you that's why it's not an option.

It'd be nice if the personal "take concubine" option would be greyed out in that case with "You can't take concubines if in hiding"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fortunately the AI is dumb and constantly plots granting you righteous imprisonment on all your patricians

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sydin posted:

It's no worse than any of the other pagan religions that lump tons of diverse regional beliefs under singular labels. That said I also very much hope it gets touched up a bit along with the other Pagan changes that are supposedly coming.

Does "After the End" add Pastafarianism?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moreau posted:

Is there a strategy or trick to defeating the Western Protectorate?

I'm attempting a White Hun campaign, and the Western Protectorate has nabbed a province of Khotan, which I will need to take back. Twice now I've tried to declare war, and they drop a 100k doom-stack in Bengal and march up to the Western Protectorate - not suffering any attrition, of course.

I have about 100k troops under my vassals, around 15k of my own, and a 15k retinue of Shock and Elephants. All so much paper in the face of the 1k supply in Tibet in winter.

I would really rather not restart the campaign when all I need is one province and 2 centuries to do it.

Is this the same problem I had and the answer to your attrition problems is as simple as spending 19 gold on a fort?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Willfrey posted:

Ok, getting back into a game and did an ireland run. I have empired' and control Ireland, Scotland, Whales, and Brittiania by a sudden unplanned inheritance. Primogenture etc. It seems like no matter who stab I cant seem to pass Scotland on to my firstborne. So every succession I have to go to war and get Scotland back. Now it shows my secondborn son as the inheritor of Scotland. Why would my secondborn get it over my firstborn? What am I missing here.

You need to change laws per kingdom. go to the laws tab, click scotland's flag, they're probably still gavelkind

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lucky Guy posted:

Didn't pay attention to this, so when I croaked, sis inherited half the world because the other half was set to agnatic :(

I got lucky and discovered it losing 2 counties in Scotland. Your picture looks like the HRE in my Venice game. They embargoed me so I assassinated 7 emperors in 16 months til they stopped

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Honky Dong Country posted:

I love it when this happens. I pick the option where he's sure it's his and you've basically just reproduced without genitals because as far as the game's concerned the kid's of your house.

E: hell even if my current ruler is totally normal I still usually only pay the 5 measly gold to investigate because sometimes it gives you an excuse to gently caress somebody over.

That shows up all the time even on non-paranoids. Damned annoying on a tribal with three concubines and a realm with 124515 seduction focus characters which is apparently the only focus the AI is allowed to take

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Finally the "Recruit Physician" button gives me a decent doctor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Horse M.D. is probably going to gently caress up your face and/or dick and he still owns.

Also lol at the staff he's holding. It's prolly a dummy holding the staff and he just hangs out with his head over its shoulders.

E: good on your for apprenticing him too. Horses in the Hermetics is always a pro move.

It's only been like 40 years but I'm already a bit at a loss what to do as a count in the Western Protectorate, so a horse murdering me trying to fix my flu is really the last of my worries.

As an aside, don't join the Hermetics as Jinquan. You're out of diplo range of all the other members so your theorem papers are auto-rejected

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not enough murder or Satan.

Whats the worst than can happen if Satan fucks your wife

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
are the Imperial Princesses you get from grace always pretty high stats? I just arranged for a marriage for my genius son and the Emperor shipped out a ~16 average stat grey eminence quick lustful hedonist

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Man, who still uses TARGA

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Also pooping. A lot of people die because of pooping.

I prefer to imagine they're all killed by dwarves with crossbows

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

What do you mean “somehow”

Yeah, Davy Crockett built his whole career around that

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

So one of Charlemagne's sons just took Italy and made the HRE in 796. I've seen the HRE come up in early starts occasionally but never this early. This is gonna be interesting. Maybe for once the Umayyads won't be able to flood into France quite so easily.

In my game Karloman formed the HRE in 784.

:iiam:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Strudel Man posted:

Hey, another Year of the Four Emperors. Classic.

The HRE embargoed me, I expressed my displeasure

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just prep for chess death by taking carousing focus, game master pretty much guarantees success

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

iirc its got a mean time to happen of like 3000+ months

So on average you should see it about once per 2-3 centuries played

I find it helps to be really excited about your new ruler

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If I convert my Norseman to Shia, can I still raid?

edit: Also, does searching for an artifact ever actually accomplish anything? It seems to be a great way to strip resources for a decade and not get anywhere.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

catlord posted:

Are you culturally Norse? If so you can. Determining who can raid is based on culture, religion, and I believe government type. Norse and Berber cultures are raiding cultures. Germanic for sure is a raiding religion. I think tribals can always raid too? So a Norse Shia can raid, but if you culture convert to, say, Danish, you won't be able to. As an English Germanic you can. An Irish Christian can as long as they're tribal. I think that's all accurate, but I don't end up playing raiders often so I may be a little off.

That's all been the case, thanks!

Nice being able to swim around in my Icelandic money pit while definitely not being decadent, no sir

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moreau posted:

Does the Intrigue focus allow you to select non rulers? Are there any other methods? Does the Devil Worshipping crew give you an option to abduct?

Devil cults and the assassins both let you abduct if nothing else

Intrigue focus works on anyone in your realm

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Various Meat Products posted:

Yeah you can sometimes capture courtiers during raids but it's not common.

If you target sundry capital counties they're pretty common.

At that point it just depends if the politics will let you siege them down in peace or not. Hit Christian territories during crusades, that sort of thing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
She and the child aren't of your dynasty, would it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Had something odd happen and was wondering if someone might have some insight if its something I did that can be avoided: My ruler died, I had no raised levies or anything, and all of my demesnes levies were reduced to zero. Like every single troop decided to commit suicide out of sorrow for the King.

Any ideas? Kind of sucks having to spend the first 5 years of my new reign waiting for levies to reinforce

• Locked thread