Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The worst part is someone out there is proud. Proud that there is finally a mod to accurately simulate medieval sexual politics such as prima nocta.

Wikipedia posted:

There is no evidence of the alleged right in medieval Europe.[2]

Not that historical accuracy ever stopped Paradox modders!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Three hundred and sixty four years in the making, the mighty Empire of Burgundia Bordergoriensis, domain of the House of Habsburg.

*begins violently heaving*

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So a one-province Suomenusko count was able to magic up over 9000 troops in the late 8th century, more than the entirety of the Kingdom of Sweden+a few extra counties. No allies, no nothing. Just boom, 9000 I'm assuming event troops out of loving nowhere. That's cool.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Volkerball posted:

nah, the preset saved search criteria is the best.

That's a weird way to spell "Your Council is no longer an inscrutable mess that you randomly fire laws into so they can reject them."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Can Glitterhoof become the High Priest and wear the goatskull

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I gave a little girl food poisoning with Tainted Touch so its not like a one hit kill or anything.

YA'LL WANT SOME BORDER GORE COURSE YA DO

Puttering along as a two-province Count in Francia at the Charlemagne start. Karl does his usual stuff, inherits Middle Francia, murders Saxons, marries a Lombard. Critically, he creates a bunch of king-level titles and has exactly three sons as well.

Around 805 or so, a poo poo-ton of dukes declare civil war for Elective Monarchy. Problematic on its own, but then a bunch of other dukes declare an independence revolt (some Cathars also declare a revolt and get immediately curb-stomped by a passing stack). I'm honestly not certain what happened with the Elective Monarchy war cause it abruptly ended but apparently the inheritance laws didn't change. I know this because shortly after, Karl dies fighting some of the Independence rebels. Three king-level titles split between three underage sons and Francia falls all to pieces.

Currently, the Independence revolt is still going and stands a solid chance at winning. Burgundy is being invaded by Bohemia while its capital has been conquered by a peasant revolt. Some Slavs got in on the action by invading Anhalt in Middle Francia and as I was typing this, some more peasants showed up in Middle Francia and decided they'd had enough of this feudalism thing. Dukedoms are scattered to hell and back and central Europe has basically become an impromptu Shattered World.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So one of my councilors heard rumors of a lost artifact and wanted me let him search for it. I agreed and got the modifier Paying for Artifact Search which is eating 7.5% of my tax revenue. That was fine initially and all, but this search has lasted years and killed two councilors now. At this point, I just want it to go away but I can't find any option to cancel the search. Is there a way to do that?

Fake edit: worth noting that I currently do not have a councilor actively searching for the artifact because I don't want any more of them to die but I'm still losing the tax revenue.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think the biggest reason that I haven't played a full game despite owning CK2 for years is there's inevitably some lovely AI fuckup that screws me over and completely takes me out of the game.

In my current game, I've been playing as the Count of Leon in Brittany at the Charlemagne start. I've been happily burbling along in my little backwater peninsula, making advantageous marriages, improving my holdings, and conquering my neighbors. There's one other independent count remaining in Brittany and he stubbornly refuses to have a claim forged on him, but whatever, I got nothing but time and he's my tributary. I decided to spice things up on my third character by having him become a Cathar, so managing that has added a nice extra layer. Incidentally, its kind of weird that my fellow Cathars still get a malus from me being excommunicated from the Catholic Church.

Meanwhile, the Ummayads have conquered all of Iberia and formed an Empire. But rather than plunging into the mess that is post-Charlemagne Francia, they decide to declare a Holy War...for Brittany. They didn't even declare it on me, the guy who owns most Brittany, but on my one province tributary which is vaguely insulting. I join his war but we've only got about 3000 dudes between us and the Muslim clown car is going to be bearing down on us with 13k. But wait! West Francia comes to our aid! They've only got about 5k guys themselves but there's another stroke of luck when the Muslims just start dribbling up the coast 1k to 5k dudes at a time. We can win this! We just have to strike out when they get close and take them down a stack at a time!

Except the AI refuses to move. All the other troops just sit in the one province that the Muslims declared on, even as much smaller enemy stacks get close. I even try to attack them myself, hoping the AI will get the message and join in but nope. I'm guessing since I'm not the warleader, I can't order them to attach to my stack so I'm forced to just helplessly watch as more and more Muslims mass on the border until they attack and inevitably overwhelm us. The other two Francian kingdoms are busy feuding, so its unlikely anyone else will join. So we're just hosed because the AI can't process the most basic function of the battle system. Its incredibly frustrating.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Azuth0667 posted:

You need to become a satanist and kidnap the muslim dudes until they have a decadence revolt or an idiot child on the throne that destabilizes their war machine.

My current dude isn't a sinner yet and he does have Kind. I like to roleplay so rampant kidnapping and sacrificing to the True Lord probably won't be happening.

He does have Arbitrary and no particular care for religion (which is why I let him convert to Catharism), so this is probably going to end in me saying "You know who's the greatest? The Greatest!" and swearing fealty to my new Muslim overlords.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pakled posted:

Become a Satanist and rank up until you get Dark Healing. Satan can regrow your penis.

Azuth0667 posted:

You need to become a satanist and kidnap the muslim dudes until they have a decadence revolt or an idiot child on the throne that destabilizes their war machine.

Its pretty cool that the answer to every problem in this game has become Hail Satan

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Annath posted:

My son became King, hosted a grand tournament, and EVERY. SINGLE PARTICIPANT ended up dead or maimed. Mostly dead.

I thought Paradox fixed the Eternal Hell Tournament bug. Or was this just a thing that happened?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So my Breton game has proceeded as expected. I did actually figure out how to make the AI move (attach my army to theirs) and we scored some early victories, but then the Francians hosed off to go fight some raiders instead and the Muslims wrecked Brittany while they were gone. While my provinces weren't the ones conquered, I saw which way the wind was blowing and swore fealty to the Ummayyads. This actually worked out well for me, as the my new Emperor ends up forming the Emirate of Brittany and gives it to me. From there its a simple revocation of the last independent count's title and at long last I rule the majority of Brittany.

But like hell I'm going to abandon my sweet-rear end Catharism for Islam so I falsely convert. Which now runs me smack into another senseless irritation: heretic religions can't form secret societies after false conversions. I've been reading the relevant Dev Diary and there doesn't seem to be any rationale for this. Paradox just said "Nah." and that was the end of it. :sigh:

1stGear fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 12, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cythereal posted:

The upside down cross thing for "Catholic" Satanists I've been hearing about in this DLC has me giggling. In Catholic tradition, the upside-down cross is a symbol of humility before God and officially considered a more acceptable symbol of public faith and piety than the traditional cross.

HaIL sAtAn

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A CK2 style game set in Imperial China or Ancient Rome would be pretty swell, with the mechanics adjusted to fit the government's and societies of those region/time periods, obv.

I would actually prefer Paradox doing something like that instead of doing Crusader Kings 3. 2 has niggling flaws and all that but its probably the best Medieval Nobility Simulator yet made and trying to top it immediately seems like a waste of effort.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dallan Invictus posted:

After an expansion whose most realised feature was literal dark magic, I'm not sure how they could get much weirder!

They could have an expansion that gives West Africans content heyooooooooooooooooo

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So I just started playing this again in anticipation of Jade Dragon and I have a question: why do people keep seemingly randomly secluding themselves? Multiple times a year my councilors will go into seclusion for a month or two then come back out.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's one more DLC after JD, right? Man, I can barely believe we've come to the end of CK2. End of a goddamn era.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Expansion is live.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Changelog posted:

Told the AI that if it is the attacker in a war, it *might* be a good idea to actually go attack the defender even if you're targeting their whole realm rather than a specific title within it, and it is a bit of a long walk
- The AI has learned how to spell, and no longer look for "soceities" missions when they're actually called "societies" missions. With this newfound ability to spell, the AI is better at identifying mission targets
- Taught nomads that if they rise in revolt in response to an attempt to split their clan, maybe they should accept it next time rather than rise again and again
- The AI is no longer deathly afraid of going overseas to help its allies just because the enemy is a bit far away
- The AI no longer thinks that just because a province is *someone*'s capital, it's a good target; it is now more discerning and only cares if it is the capital of an enemy
- The AI is now a bit more aware of just how superior heavy cavalry is to light infantry
- The AI now no longer thinks that enemy armies adjacent to other enemy armies are just on vacation, and won't help out if it were to attack
- Gave the AI a crash course in how to hand out titles
- Gave the AI a crash course in how to transfer vassals in a way that won't make you want to claw your eyes out

Tell ya what, this "The AI" fellow just doesn't seem good at the game at all.

Really just everything, its all pretty quality posted:

- The AI now realizes that just because it has occupied everything it borders, it shouldn't skip out on occupying the non-bordering stuff
- Taught the AI a few things about how supply works, and why a doomstack isn't always the best way to deal with it while travelling to its destination. The AI is hard of hearing, so it only partially understood this lesson, but partial understanding beats no understanding, right?
- Taught the Pope Geography 101, with an emphasis on what "distance from Catholicism" and "size of kingdom" means in the context of Crusades, and why this means that invading India when Egypt is right there might be a bad idea
- Informed the AI that just because their ideal commander can't lead troops right now, doesn't mean they should just skip assigning a commander to the flank they wanted to assign that commander to
- The AI now realizes that once it is landed, it should base its army in its capital rather than have it stand in the middle of nowhere, taking attrition, just because it happened to spawn in the middle of nowhere many years ago
- Betrothed men no longer go "nah, can't fulfill this betrothal" after sending a marriage offer which you accidentally reject. They will also no longer decide to not bother to resend the offer while mumbling "let's see how *they* like being ignored"
- Told just-spawned raiding adventurers "hey, your fleet is right over there" so that they wouldn't disband instantly when spawning on an island with no good raid targets, due to thinking that getting across the sea is simply impossible
- Members of small reformed religions are now a bit more fond of joining Great Holy Wars and the like
- The AI has finally come to the realization that it is allowed to invite its own vassals and courtiers to plots, not just the vassals and courtiers of the target

1stGear fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 16, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You are massively over your vassal limit in 769 Tibet but all of your vassal's lands and the de jure titles are placed in just such a way that you can't cleanly transfer them around or create new titles ahhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHH

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wills could work by how much your heirs and maybe powerful vassals like the distribution essentially. So yeah, if you give all your stuff to your primary heir then the others will be pissed and will almost certainly start up big factions or rustle up troops. A more equitable balance will keep everybody grumpy but accepting of it.

Add in things like plots to alter wills or regents 'losing' them and such and I think it could be a workable mechanic that doesn't just let you game around gavelkind.

Fake edit: also require writing a will to take a hefty amount of gold and/or prestige so you can't just do it whenever but the longer you put it off, the higher the chance of your ruler dying for whatever reason and the game defaulting to the current black box gavelkind.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there any way I can cure my son of being demon-spawn and having the voice of satan?

It's not like he is a bad son though.

loving why. Wait for him to kill you and then Reconquista in the name of a slightly different god.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I like the elective changes but am wary of Imperial Administration being the only possible succession law for the Byzantines AND Roman Empire.

If a player is powerful enough they should be able to tell the court to get hosed, I'm the Emperor and what I say goes, so get in line now or I'll murder you and bang your wife.

quote:

Scaled Voting Power: And this is where things get really interesting. Imperial Elective uses to its full extent the new voter_power function of scripted elective, making sure that every elector has a different amount of influence, entirely dependent on his status in the court and his attributes. The Emperor’s vote starts out with a strength of 200 voting power, which can be further boosted by good diplomacy and martial scores, making it so that a powerful and influential Emperor will be able to push the candidate that he wants on the throne even if most of the Court is against it.

Personally most excited for the Strong Claim Duels. Nice way to resolve family disputes over gavelkind without plunging the entire realm into a hellwar.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Haemoarch is metal as gently caress.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Crusader Kings 2: Zeus Vult

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
+1 for West Africa. I like to roleplay my characters so I don't know if I'll get someone bloodthirsty. But if I do, boy howdy am I going for HAEMOARCH.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Holy gently caress. :stare: They're even playable. I wonder how much effort they've had put into them in terms of custom events and stuff.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

pmchem posted:

I got this game for free in a Steam deal, but: just the BASE game. No expansions/DLC. What should I do with my first 30 minutes or hour of CK2?

I have played Stellaris but no other Paradox grand strategy games.

Play the tutorial till you grasp the basics. Then the classic advice is to just fuddle around in Ireland at the 1066 start. Start as the Count of Dublin and have forming the Kingdom of Ireland as your first big goal.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Even if there's only the bare minimum for the animal cultures, it provides the base for modders. Pretty confident there will be mods fleshing each one out soon after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Crusader Kings 2 - Honky Furry

• Locked thread