Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nomads are fun. Started in Charlemagne start as one of the little Khans in the middle - Bozek or something. I'm constantly at war but my army's constantly getting bigger and my territory keeps growing. I can almost use a big invasion CB to take a neighbouring muslem kingdom, and the window's good right now. He only has about 1K (to my 3) troops, and he has no allies. First time I tried he called in friends and their doomstacks kept me away.

I have both Hymns of the Old Gods and the Steppes bonus content, and I have to say I really like the music in both. I want more songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Did they change how disease, bandits, et. al. affect you when sieging? I haven't noticed any negative events like that since horse lords. Either that or I disabled all the notifications.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wish you could invite people with promises of jobs. There are plenty of times I'll be in that situation and someone will want to be a chancellor. I want them to be my chancellor, but I can only break even on the +/- list to invite.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I must be missing something with how other people's claims work.

I recently became King of England, and now I'm trying to finish off Wales. I have a Vassal with a Strong Claim on the county Perfeddwlad*. I should be able to go to war with Perfeddwlad's liege, with his Claim Perfeddwlad as the CB, no? It just says I have no valid CB.

Well, no matter. I have a courtier with a strong claim on the Petty Kingdom of Powys. I should be able to push his claim as a CB again (after I land him to make him my vassal of course), shouldn't I? I still get no valid CB when I try.

Are there any other conditions that I'm missing, or am I just way off the mark?

*That's seriously the name. loving Wales.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TheBlackRoija posted:

Are prepared invasions broken right now? Just started up a game as Haesteinn, declared an invasion on Italy and got exactly 0 dudes for it in the full 2 years.

edit: Tried again, and once again 0.

I had a Haesteinn game a week or two ago and prepared invasion was working properly for me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As Byzantium you can create viceroyalties which I think are kingdom titles, but they revert back to you on holder's death.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Skip China and add the rest of East Asia.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well I've always wanted to move somewhere colder.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I recommend all the music ones for sure. I think they're highly underrated. Moot point if you don't listen to in-game music though.

I also find it really jarring when people don't have the portrait packs, because in my experience they look a ton better.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

prussian advisor posted:

It took me an uncomfortably long period of time to realize that the DLC "Orchestral Horse Lords" is actually "Orchestral House Lords."

Do the music DLCs only get added into the in-game playlist when you're playing the relevant culture or religion (Songs of India as an Indian ruler, etc.) or just always?

Most of them are culture or religion specific, although to me it looks like it would be easily modded since it looks like a few text files with simple if/then structures.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't think so, because you can't play as pagans or anyone those songs would apply to without the DLC. Can't confirm though as I always bought the music pack with the expansion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't listen to music in game, but I have grabbed most of the music to add to my playlist. You get .mp3 files in your DLC folder.

I checked this out, but they're all in .ogg form. Are there mp3 versions anywhere, or do I just have to deal with the quality hit and turn them to mp3s myself so I can listen to them elsewhere?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
To be honest, I think the best tutorial for the game is starting 1066 Ireland, and kinda follow along with this LP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 (Look for CapnAndy's Catholic tutorial). It's unfortunately a little out of date, but the core mechanics are all there and in decent shape still.

I've passed that along to a few friends to help them get into the game, and it seemed to work for them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been trying to play a proper catholic game, and I'm having trouble adjusting from playing Pagans, and having the ability to take what I want, whenever I want it. I thought I maneuvered into being able to press some claims, but they don't seem to be working properly. I'm the King of England, trying to finish taking over the rest of Wales. My first question involves this:

The Earl of Chester (yellow) is my direct vassal, and has a strong claim on Perffedwald, Blue. Blue is the direct vassal of the Duke of Gwynned, Red. Shouldn't I be able to declare war on Red, with the CB press claim for Blue? I don't have that option, I error our with no valid CBs.

Second, similar.

I have a courtier with a strong claim on the Petty Kingdom of Powys, the Red Duchy. I should be able to talk to the duke there, and use that claim as a CB, no? Same issue as above though, no valid CBs.

I'd understand if I couldn't press weak claims, because all relevant parties are adult males without regencies, but I thought I could push a strong claim at will. Any ideas?

Finally, a wtf moment. I thought it was funny.

Thanks Pope.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Is that councilor Jewish too?

Yes, he had his Jewish Councillor fabricating claims in Catholic England.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Good riddance, indeed. I can't stop laughing at this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

McGavin posted:

CK2 Dev Diary: We might have done something. Maybe.

Except to the Hellenic religion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

McGavin posted:

The what? I don't know what you're talking about.

I think there's one character in the earliest start date that has the Hellenic religion, which is the classical greek religion. Some people keep clamouring for mechanics or additions, and the devs never do.

I think it's Groogy that posts here that takes particular delight in not adding anything for it.

It's just funny in my opinion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So duels are fun.

A lowly pissant count that kept trying to get factions going seduced my wife. My character was war focused, so I challenged him to a duel.

He was slothful, gluttonus, craven with 7 martial. I was in decent shape - strong, brave, 20 martial, but getting older. I lost the duel and died, but I didn't care because my heir was awesome.

I got an event a few years later about how I hated that count, and could challenge him to a duel. This time, I'm 30 base martial - Brilliant strategist, Strong, brave, varangian, viking, a badass among badasses. Died in the duel.

My next heir was nothing special, but again got a prompt to fight the guy - who at this point also picked up a case of the lover's pox. Expecting to die in the duel, the game did not disappoint, and I lose a third character.

Somehow that fat lazy fucker just effortlessly chopped down half my family.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As someone who knows basically nothing about Africa I think that's interesting, and I wish there was more reason to play West Africa or Abyssinia because I usually end up looking stuff up about things I see in game. Abyssinia and region have a different Christian religion, right? Does that have any mechanics?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm sure it would piss off a whole bunch of people too, which is also a huge bonus.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Do you have the Way of Life expo? It brings in a bunch of events like that. I haven't played CK1 though, so I can't say how much it compares.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Still a lot of blanks but this seems like it could be one of the better expansions. More meddling with internal affairs - outside of the routine peasant crushing - seems like it'll be pretty great. I wonder if the new education system will stop you from giving your kid up right before his birthday to someone with the proper trait.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is this the prelude to bears?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
First game has been awesome so far. The Pope and the Caliph have joined forces (along with most of the world) against King Karl. My council are a bunch of useless assholes that I take the opportunity to kill at any given chance. It's taken decades for me to force them to up the title revocation laws, and I had to bribe my own drat mother and sons to make it happen. The AI invites me carousing which I've never actually seen from this side before - the first time at a party I got drunk and tried to fight everybody, and they took the opportunity to beat the poo poo out of their king.

But now the bad: Everybody around is retarded with low stats. I can get 3 or 4 star educations well enough, but kids are getting so few traits that they rarely break 10 in a stat, and it's rare someone reaches even 15 in one, with single digits in everything else.

4 star martial education doesn't seem to give combat leadership traits any more. I have two commanders that have picked them up through combat, but otherwise I don't have a commander worth using, even with 4 star educations.

Prisoners after sieges seems weird. I can pillage 4 or 5 large holdings to the ground and get none. The next temple gives me a dozen. Probably just RNG.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Quick question about councillors and factions.

If the council mood is content, I'm under the impression that councillors cannot create or join factions.

However, I thought I saw in game malcontent councillors joining factions even when the overall mood was content. I could easily be mistaken, since they're all the red-bearded Jarl Fuckface of Unpronouncable, so it's quite possible I'm mixing up who's on the council or not.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's kind of hidden away in a tooltip somewhere, but councillors can still join factions regardless of laws or contentedness if you are tribal or nomadic. I'm assuming from the Jarl fuckface of whatever comment that you're probably the former, so that's why. There might be some specifics I'm forgetting (it might be tied to tribal organization and whether you're unreformed pagan as well, I don't remember), but in any case you'll see that happen until you switch to Feudal/Republic government.

That makes sense. I thought I read somewhere that tribal and nomads ignored some of the council mechanics. I'm reformed pagan, and most of my trouble councillors are not, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference, probably just the government type.

I think I like the shattered retreat army mechanics. I had a 250% revolt going on, and my large levies got hit pretty hard by rebels and I lost the first encounter pretty decisively. Between the lower losses, and having them retreat through a couple counties, I managed to get my allies and the rest of my levies merged to fight back properly. While on the offensive it takes a little more care to hunt them down, but it was still easy enough to outsmart the AI each time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

alcaras posted:

Lastly, I keep seeing a pop up to assign commanders. What does this actually do -- make them eligible to command armies? Is there a way to automate it so it auto-assigns the highest martial dude as then next new commander? Is there any reason I shouldn't just do that?

Commanders, your marshal, and you are the only ones that can lead armies. Aside from having the highest martial stats lead, characters can get leadership traits that far outweigh martial stats.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Clanpot Shake posted:

Doesn't Craven also gently caress you over?

A bunch of traits cause effects: Wroth, Craven, Stutter, Lisp, Sloth, Shy and Cruel can result in poorer tactics. Brave, Quick, Possessed, and Zealous can result in good tactics.

Stolen from the list here: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Combat_tactics

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

gfanikf posted:

General question to everyone about troop levels, how do I increase my non vassal provided troops, the personal levies. I'm just trying to understand how the mechanics work. It's so much nicer to be able to just use them for raiding or other purposes without having vassal penalties for having troops called out.

fake edit:
in short I was asking how to Maximizing demesne levies...but I also just found the wiki with tips on that. :downs:

That said I think a lot of it is out of date, so any tips people have I'd love to hear them.

The general idea is two have two duke titles, and as many of the counties in them as you can. If at that point you can have more holdings and you're under your personal limit, you can build more castles an keep them for yourself. It may take some scheming to get all of the counties in your de-jure ducal territory though.

You can also upgrade your holdings with new or upgraded buildings that increase levy size. Click on the county, click on the holding that you own, and just buy whatever building provides the troops you like. Feudal use gold, tribal buys buildings with prestige.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked it. I was never much of a map painter and liked focusing on smaller goals though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The B_36 posted:

I'm fairly new to the game, but wouldn't all these succession issues with gavelkind be taken care of by switching to one of the elective ones? Your elected heir gets all the titles then anyway right? Sure, you don't get to know for sure whom out of your dynasty will get to be the heir (tho you have alot of control over it), but when it just goes automatically to your oldest son, you not only lose half your demesne most times, but he could grow up to be a complete retard. Between your votes and your vassals vote, you're going to end up with an heir that is at least pretty competent. The demesne size bonus with gavelkind usually only seems to give you an extra 1, maybe 2 holdings most times anyway.

Under gavelkind, regardless of elective or normal, your titles are split up between all of your heirs if possible. There are other ones you can switch to like normal elective, in which your elected heir inherits everything, but not everyone starts able to switch succession law. Tribals and / or unreformed pagans are stuck with gavelkind.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Red Minjo posted:

Is it impossible to declare war to take over a tributary or something? Because otherwise I don't understand how I have a strong claim on an independent county but no casus belli. Playing the earliest start with all DLC but Sunset on as an Irish tribal.

Yeah, if you're made someone your tributary, they count as allies I think. Can't declare war with strong claims in any case. You might have to knife whatever leader is in charge there to end his tributary state.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mister Bates posted:

Britain is now being ravaged by Muslim Vikings.

Between the EU voters and Iceland beating them in soccer, I think a lot of Brits have this actual fear.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cock hero flux posted:

You didn't get to choose the trait in the event unless you were either the kid or the teacher so unless you wanted to teach all the little bastards yourself(which meant they would all have similar stats to you which you might not have wanted) you had to put them in the care of someone else which meant being pretty careful about who you picked.

It sounded like a lot of people would tutor the child themself until they were 15 and 11 months, and then ship them off for a few weeks to someone with the proper trait. Gamey as hell and I don't miss that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm watching The Last Kingdom, which takes place in Wessex in the 860's during the invasion of the great heathen armies. It's based off a book series I hear is good, but I can't confirm as I haven't read them. The series is good at least.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Does torture have any other effects other than maiming/releasing the guy? I think I could get some use out of it if it made people shrug away from factions a little bit, or something, but as it stands I'd rather keep a threat in jail rather than angering him and setting him loose.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It always struck me as somewhat odd that there was never any fear positive modifier. Like "drat, I better not try and gently caress with this dude as he literally had an entire dynasty castrated for a rebellion, I better not gently caress with him"

Yeah, this is was I was looking at for torture. If I maim a bunch of rebels and malcontents and then release them back to their dutchies, I'm going to expect people to either lose their poo poo immediately at how awful I am, or calm the hell down to avoid a similar fate.

As it sounds, all I'm going to do is piss off and release another potential enemy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Shattered retreat makes the retreating group flee through multiple counties before it can be controlled again. During their retreat they won't join any battles, so you can't keep walking after a retreating group smashing them repeatedly. You need to wait until they come to a stop before they can enter battle or be given orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So do pet cats give you an intrigue bonus due to all the time you spend stuck in your chair or something after hours because your cat fell asleep on you, which leads to you sitting alone in the dark listening to the goings-on in the castle?

• Locked thread