Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Any recommendations for minimizing mouse movement? I love this game, but never get much more than 50 years into a dynasty before developing RSI and having to stop.

A minor culprit is the Find character window which cannot be scrolled through with the keyboard as far as I can tell. (Would a mouse wheel work, if I had one? Ironically the reason I haven't one is that I have a trackball to reduce RSI.)

But the major problem is definitely troop micromanagement. Pagans are a particular problem - having to go out raiding all the time and keep sending the fleets back and forth just to stay solvent is a killer. What campaign (or other tips) would people recommend for the least possible amount of clicking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Mouse wheel works for scrolling, yes. And zooming.

In the Find character window? (I can scroll and zoom the map with the keyboard.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

What other UI tweaks would help you play?

In decreasing order of importance:

Keyboard methods of scrolling up and down in the Find character window. Up and down arrows, or Page up and down - preferably both. This would save me so much trouble!

Keyboard methods of scrolling up and down in the Ledger.

A keyboard-only method of selecting all my raised armies and/or fleets.

A 'go to this province and merge' command for armies. (Ability to set a rally point would be nice.)

A keyboard method of scrolling up and down in the message log. Maybe Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-down?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Also in the Find characters screen - radio buttons instead of a drop down for all the Yes No Any options.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Do you mean radial buttons?

No, I mean a group of buttons (Y|N|ANY) where clicking one down unclicks the others, i.e. only one can be down at a time.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

An option to stay paused after a popup.

More filters in the family tree: e.g. adults only, unmarried only, at your court only.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I don't quite agree with the idea of changing popup placements - I don't want to have to keep moving my mouse to click them away.

But when someone dies I'd like any wards they had at the time of their death to stay in their character sheet, so that I can easily find them and choose a new educator.

I'd also like a keyboard shortcut for changing between the tabs of the Council window.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I've been playing as a Breton with Tanistry and all went well until I created the Empire of Prydain. When I did that the empire and all my kingdoms changed to gavelkind, but I immediately changed them all to tanistry. But they keep changing back! Does inheritance by a non-king reset everything to gavelkind, or something?

E: Or is it when someone with a non-Celtic culture inherits? It seems wrong to me that the law can change itself to suit my culture on day one of my reign, when I am not allowed to change the inheritance law until I've ruled for 10 years. Shouldn't I have a chance to adapt to it?

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 25, 2016

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Yeah, it's a problem with non-celtic culture.

Ah. I was expecting tanistry to be a real challenge for an empire, but I see it is actually impossible. :(

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Zombiepop posted:

I was thinking maybe a teacher (principle?) minor title that I can give to someone decent who will then assign good tutors to the children? Its boring to try and find decent educators for a court full of kids.

This this this. I am so tired of clicking that focus button.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I guess I could just put someone in who is actually good at the job but I'm not sure how sustainable of an idea that is.

It's generally fine. You only need to keep most of your vassals happy most of the time.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

When I'm trying to seduce someone and they or I go to war, I get a message saying there's no time for such dalliances, and a choice 'carry on' or 'give up'. And then I get it again and again and again and again and again. Could this be made more infrequent?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Uh. CK2 isn't crashy, and if it was Ironman saving often would be pretty useful in not losing progress.

I would have agreed with this until three weeks ago, but then I played on my niece's PC and found that it crashed every time, and corrupted the Ironman save every time it did, so I lost all games. However I did manage to fix this, by changing it to fullscreen mode instead of borderless.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 22, 2016

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I'm inclined to agree that the new education system is more reliable, as well as also much more dull, but there are two things I hate about it. One is that I'd rather the second stage were done for me, because 19 times out of 20 I'm going to pick the best thing for the child's traits - but at least there is information on screen to help with doing that. The other is constantly having to switch to the wiki to look up educator intervention traits, which as far as I know aren't explained anywhere in game.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Talky posted:

I'm pretty sure your vassals in de jure Middle Francia will remain your vassals even if the crowns split, regardless of whether or not you get elected King.

Not if your vassals inherit a higher title, though.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I kind of wish they'd go back and take another crack at the childhood focuses just to balance them out a bit more (especially the fact that indolent/haughty are purely negative for education - I think having negative childhood traits is fine, but having Pride/Etiquette lead to them directly makes those choices a lot less desirable), but I imagine it's not a priority.

Educator intervention traits help a bit: haughty can lead to ambitious and indolent to gregarious, which is nice. Only a 25% chance though, or 50% if you're educating yourself.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Getting more people in the family is better than a potential alliance

More than ever now with Reaper's due. (If nothing else, they make a healthy snack.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Trailers for DLC you can't buy yet shouldn't be allowed, it's just cruelty.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I love tanistry in the early game, but it's a terrible disaster if anyone with a different culture could possibly inherit, as they revert to gavelkind. Which really seems wrong to me: what happened to new rulers not being able to change rules until they've reigned for 10 years?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

The game automatically resets to...usually Gavelkind, I think - when a title has an invalid succession law (say, when a non-Celt inherits a Tanistry title or when a non-Muslim inherits an Open title) - this isn't subject to the ten year cooldown.

That's what I said - I'm just arguing that it shouldn't be like that. If a realm has tanistry succession, why would they change it just because a non-Celt inherits, when they won't agree to change any other rule for 10 years?

(I expect the reason is to nerf tanistry.)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

An optional rule called "interesting inheritances" or something allowing tanistry for errybody and enatic would be good I feel.

Or even Open, because after all it was more of a Turkic system than just a muslim one ehhhhh

Give me more wacky laws! Give me the ability to lock in Enatic Elective or something cray like that.

I would so go for this.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Chewbot posted:

what's the goal of this game? I'm not super excited about taking over every territory, so is it otherwise kind of a "putz around until you get bored" kind of thing?

Spreading women's rights around the world! And also your genes.

quote:

Also, I'm finding the story-generating aspect less... believable? than I remember. Did lords really just go around non-stop fabricating claims on land and raising armies on a whim?

Yes, when not stopped by bigger lords. I mean, why wouldn't they? What else did they have to do?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

"...this system allows items to be inheritable and stealable", ooooo.

(Although what I want most of all is a release date...)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

uPen posted:

There should be a Master of the Bastards honorary title whose only job is to assign focuses to children automatically.

There absolutely should. It is especially painful for republics where you want lots of family in your court. I'd like to be able to say "Let them learn stewardship!" and "Don't let that man anywhere near my children", and never have to worry again.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Raiding is such a chore. Be a merchant republic and let the money come to you!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Tamba posted:

Is there any DLC I really should have when starting out (Way of Life?), or should I just learn how to play like this for now and wait for a sale?

Just play. When you have got into the game you will want practically all the DLC, but the game you have is perfectly good enough to decide whether you'll ever get into it at all.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

The biggest obstacle for me playing India was my geographical ignorance - I couldn't even guess where or how far away any person was from me. Every time I searched for a wife, for example, I'd have to look up to see where each candidate's claims were, and doing so would make my arrange marriage list disappear and I'd have to start all that again. It's just easier to play a region if I have at least a rough idea of where places are.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 8, 2017

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Honky Dong Country posted:

Horse Lords also added the Silk Road, tributaries, and dynamic mercs.

It made a huge difference to my best India game in particular (Kamarupa, shed loads of Silk Road cash).

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Just FYI, I'm not going to be involved with CK2 anymore. I passed on the India stuff and it might or might not get looked at. Hopefully you'll enjoy M&M.

This is not good. :sadwave:

Unless there is a secret CK2 society at Paradox, ostensibly adopting other games but surreptitiously advancing the interests of Crusader Kings the whole time...

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah but typing "orgo" won't make "Þorgoð" show up, much less "Þórgoð" where I just have "rgo" and that is useless. If odd characters tended to show up later that would be fine but that's not the case.

Looks like that's been fixed in the upcoming patch.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Xinder posted:

Ireland's relative safety, the ability to conquer at your own pace, and the slow increase in realm size and complexity just seem so perfect for teaching people who know nothing about the game how to play. I can't think of any other part of the map that comes close.

If you have Rajas and Horselords (for the Silk Road cash), the Mlechchas in northeast India are pretty safe.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Where is the Request to Rank Up decision? I have the little alert saying I can do this, and clicking on it takes me to the Decisions list under Intrigue, but there is no such decision there.

E: Ignore me, I found it. Think the alert should take you to the Societies tab though.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I assumed they just increased your ability to drug guards on laboratory raiding missions.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

The trade off being the ultimate good from sticking at your task vs inevitably annoying people now, and I agree it isn't worth doing.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

But they both annoy people, one just annoys people BARELY more.

Yes, exactly. We're saying if you do Observe the skies at all you will annoy people, and it probably isn't worth it.

I also stopped raiding people's laboratories after my marvellously talented apprentice son ended up imprisoned for life :(

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

TorakFade posted:

It used to be quite common to live into the 50s if you had decent health

Every ruler in my latest game has made it well into their 60s (and I've been using ultimogeniture from early on, so it's not that only the ones that survive inherit at all). The Hermetic Society is great.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Honky Dong Country posted:

He's also the head Magus of the Hermetics. Man I wish this dude would turn immortal, he loving rules.

Once you've had a hermetic ruler or two, all your rulers are great rulers.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Need 25 learning to make the highest-quality magna opi, though.

But so many hermetic tasks and artefacts give you learning that it's really easy to get there.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

1. Is there any way to see what CB the AI uses to declare war on you? Twice now, Hungary has declared and I'm not sure on what grounds. France has done the same.

Click on the little icon of the person you're at war with at the bottom right of your screen. The window that comes up has an explanation of the war in the title.

quote:

I'd expect to be able to negotiate to keep some of that land, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If you, as an aggressor, have nothing but prestige and a few bucks to lose, where are the consequences for starting an unnecessary war?

The money involved can get pretty large, and prestige matters a lot to tribals. All the same I agree, it would be nice to be able to demand a province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

TorakFade posted:

But it requires 20 learning to activate so it's not likely my successors will benefit.. Oh well.

I think you'll find that's 20 learning OR being in the hermetic society. It definitely encourages you to make it a dynastic habit.

quote:

We need more societies and related cool stuff

Yes, yes we do. Get modding please :)

• Locked thread