Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidan
Nov 6, 2012

So how does losing work in this game? I may have been a bit careless handling my character's numerous non-inheriting brothers, and now I wonder:

- if my brother "vassal count" presses his claim on all my lands and defeats me, will I continue playing as him, or as my old character in his single non contested county?
- if my other brother "duke of elsewhere" does the same thing, what happens?
Both of them just married into their title and don't technically have lands of their own atm

Also, if my character dies and somebody gets elected who isn't my heir (but still part of my dynasty), who becomes the player character? The heir to my county, or the guy who got my kingdom? Are there circumstances where I would switch to my brother, and if so would it be game over because they're landless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I have 30% of the Persian empire in my kurd game but I need 80%, but the Seljuk Turks are sitting on most of it, and the rest of it belongs variously to the Byzantine empire, the Mongol empire and the Hindu kingdom of Pala who keep holy warring everyone else. There's only 100 years left to go and my heir is a kinslayer :banjo:

Also everyone from Croatia to Afghanistan is orthodox because I converted the Seljuk sultan to secret miaphysitism way back when I was a vassal and it sort of snowballed from there.

E: the Mongols are orthodox too, so their conquest sort of fizzled out after absorbing some of the northern steppe kingdoms.

pidan fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 9, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

:psyduck:

This game. This...loving...game.

I like that this scar gives a prestige bonus.

Yeah, this is our ruler, who bravely fought a rose bush with his dick

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I haven't played in years and was p bad back then, but I'm in the middle of an ironman run as Sardinia. I made the Kingdom of Corsica and Sardinia, conquered Salerno, had a nice holy war going in Calabria that the loving Byzantines stole from me, and have now taken over the Amalfi merchant republic.

So, question: I now have the "wrong demesne" penalty. Should I be releasing Amalfi into vassalage? I can't convert to a merchant repub now right? What's the best way of planning ahead now?

When you have a wrong thing in your demesne, dump it on some friendly looking courtier asap. Also a good way to kick an undeserving son out of your inheritance line. Not sure how it works with other people's inheritance.

Now I do wonder: assuming I want Duke Bob's second son to inherit the duchy, can I give his firstborn a bishopric, or will that just mean his duchy turns into the Archbishopric of Bobistan when Bob dies?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I really like the notion of having interesting monastic orders and more religion / supernatural events in the game. I also hate the whole idea of demon worshippers, wouldn't want to play one, wouldn't particularly like them to have an important role in the game. Should I get Monks & Mystics? For the portraits?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've installed M&M now and I do like it. The new councillor jobs and portraits alone were worth it, and demon worshippers haven't really showed up yet even though I haven't turned them off in settings. It does seem that a lot more people are "possessed" now.

When a European character has the turban with the dangling threads, does that mean he's in the hermetic society?

Seriously though, the German lady portraits are ridiculously attractive.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah this is what I ended up doing, after several infuriating attempts at de-monking him through making him a city or church vassal (the game kept telling me I wasn't allowed to play as a Republic even though I own the Republic DLC.)

You can only play as a merchant republic, which needs to have a sea port in its capital. Maybe there's some other conditions too, but if your capital is not on the shore you can't play as that republic.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a difference between a sea port and a coastal province?

I think all coastal provinces (on certain oceans, not the Kaspian sea) count. But to be safe, check if you can build a port in the city.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sulphagnist posted:

Is there a fertility penalty for being in a different court than your spouse? Married my ruler to an independent double duchess hoping they'll have a son together who will inherit the lot, but even after five years with Family focus and Groom an heir ambition on, nothing. Or could she be infertile and you just can't see?

Feeling sympathy for Henry VIII all of a sudden here. I'm tempted to switch to Seduction focus just to have them fall in love with each other since that should help.

Some characters are just infertile for no obvious reason. My latest doge married a courtier who didn't give birth for over 15 years, so I divorced her and married the queen of Bohemia. She keeps having girls, but she also keeps having affairs, so who knows whose kids they are.

The doge's first wife was still in his court, and they apparently kept seeing each other, since a couple of years and three daughters into the Bohemia marriage she gave him a bastard son.
I legitimized him for old time's sake.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've never bothered to figure out what each of the tactics do, because I can't influence them anyway.

I just try to pile up as many units as possible, if they're going into the mountains I assign them the mountain guy, if there's lots of horses the horse guy, otherwise the inspiring leader because those are always good.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Which DLCs can I safely turn off if I don't want to play as (x) but do want all the portraits, events, start dates and so on for other characters?

Safe to turn off:
- Sunset invasion (always safe)
- Rajas of India (if not in / near India)
- Legacy of Rome (outside Byzantium) ?

Not safe:
- Sons of Abraham (no more Jews?)
- Old Gods
- China

Not sure:
- The Republic (I think all the good parts for Feudal rulers are in the patch?)
- Sword of Islam?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

You won't have retinues without Legacy of Rome, so I would never turn that off. Sword of Islam and The Republic are sorta safe to turn off, though I think you would get an automatic game over if your heir were a Muslim without SoI turned on.

And as somebody else said, there's no point to turning any DLC off (except for Sunset Invasion of course), since they don't slow down your game either way.

Ok, thanks! I thought the game would run better with fewer DLCs. So I'll just turn off sunset invasion. I did enjoy watching the Aztec empire rise and fall from my safe spot in Italy, but it's not something I'd want in every game.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Red Bones posted:

It's funny to consider the roots of religious iconography. If Jesus had been hanged or beheaded rather than crucified, what would be on all of Europe's flags? Nooses?

The cross represents Jesus's sufferings more than his death, so it would probably be the crown of thorns or a whip or something.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is there some way to dismiss all messages at once? I tend to get 10+ of them at a time, and it wears out my fingers clicking them away individually

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Playing around with this, I found you can also up your merchant republic successor campaign fund by 100 by shift+clicking the (+) button.

Thank you!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I had my heir educated as a Magyar and intentionally gave my old doge depression so I could kill him and form the kingdom (most serene republic :) ) of Hungary.

I gave the entire kingdom of Germany to one of my dukes, but I'm still riding an unstoppable wave of money. I guess I'll need it to kick the caliph out of the rest of Hungary and finally get my empire title.

Will I still have to be a Magyar for the empire, or can I switch back to Italian?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I wanna get back into this game after a long while of being too busy to play it. I have every expansion up to way of life, is it worth picking up the rest?

Generally speaking, yes.

I personally don't have Horse Lords and I don't feel like I'm missing it, but it does let you play as Genghis Khan which must be fun. The others are totally worth it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I got the last couple of DLCs and portrait packs on sale today, now I can play Charlemagne or Genghis Khan whenever I want to. Nice

:horse:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'm playing as Charlemagne now and I'm really enjoying the historical story.
Does the story have branches or will it end if I go too far of track?

Also will anything specific happen if I make Roland a commander? I've made him my chancellor for now, because I don't want him to get hurt :ohdear:

I gave the kingdom of Saxony to some guy and not a year later, Widukind has it, which I appreciated. Can't get him to convert tho, which is not what happened irl.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I want to form the Roman empire as a Muslim, is it possible and if so, where's the best start for that?

Alternatively, are there any Muslim characters that have interesting / unique events?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Ireland is recommended because not much will happen to you (no holy wars, no Mongols, no China...) and there's a clear objective (become emperor of Britain).

For a character that has a bit more going on, but is still pretty safe, 1066's king of Bohemia is also often recommended. You need to keep your vassals in line and you can try to make politics in the HRE, who is your liege.

I have decided to play as Alp Arslan and I'm caught in a never ending war with the Byzantines, where one of us will reach an 80% score and then the other one comes back with more troops. I need this war to be over soon, so I can get rid of some decadence via religious decisions.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The basic Muslim portraits are the ugliest portraits in the game but I guess they're here to stay. The basic western portraits look ok to me, but most of the new sets are prettier.

I just wish there were more different crowns. One of my Hungarian emperors came out Wallachian by accident, and he had the most amazing big furry hat.

E: they're also changing scars. I always like it when my character loses a leg and ends up with a little scar on their chin. Guess they fell over.

pidan fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 14, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I wouldn't recommend starting with Conclave. I like it now, but when I tried playing it the first time when I just recently started playing CKII I found it really confusing and frustrating.

My DLC opinions:

Make the game harder:
- conclave
- reaper's due

Make the game easier:
- China (unless you're playing where they're likely to invade you, but even then...)
- monks & mystics
- whichever one gives you retinues

Essential:
- way of life
- Sons of Abraham

The rest mostly allow you to play some specific religion / time period, get them if you want to play in the relevant time or place.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Portrait sets are the best, except the Russians, unless you want a bunch of crypt keeper lookalikes in eastern Europe.

Get the one that gives all Greeks funny hats

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Once you're playing as the guy, you can easily culture convert to the culture of your capital county through the county menu. I think this came with a DLC, but maybe it's patched into all versions of the game.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Assign a guardian of the desired culture to the child and set the educational focus to heritage. I think the higher the guardian's learning, the better the chance of it working. I use that to convert errant vassals.

I had something similar to me happen in my Ireland game and accidentally went Welsh, but then Ireland suddenly culture-shifted so most of it was welsh, so I stuck with it. I can't remember if swapping cultures destroys cultural buildings immediately.

It seems to make them inactive at first, I don't know if they get destroyed eventually. I just made a chunk of Africa Greek, so all their special buildings lie empty now.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

evenworse username posted:

That's the part I'm hazy on - if I give them a guardian, do I get to pick what they tutor them in, or am I just hoping that the tutor will pick Heritage?

You can force the heritage focus for some children, if they're in your prison or the parent / liege owes you a favor. Possibly also your direct descendants / close family members? Right click the kid's portrait and the option should be there.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Are you sure he didn't pick the fight and then get his poo poo kicked in? You need to declare wars against the liege in order to claim land. You should be able to right click your vassal's portrait and choose "Offer to Join War".

In order words, your vassal probably declared war on your neighbor, and the neighbor will not get your vassal's land, no matter how many parts of it he sieges.

I think you generally can't join your vassal's wars, but maybe the vassal trying to conquer outside land is an exception.

I've played as emperor of the Byzantine empire for 200 years now, and have yet to get a female heir. When the AI runs the Byzantines, it feels like one in three emperors is a woman. But I can marry all the hare lipped lesbian theologians I like and they'll still give me a bunch of sons.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

evenworse username posted:

I love the way things unravel in this game.

I discover a Count who is backing a plot to kill me. I tell him to knock it off, he refuses. I figure he's a Count, I'll try throwing him in prison and if it fails then he'll be easily smacked down. Well. He calls one other guy into the ensuing rebellion. Still not a serious problem; I shouldn't even need all my levies to deal with the forces they can muster. However, the rebelling provinces are in Spain so this triggers an Almoravid Holy War, and now instead of a ~5,000 strong enemy army I've also got about 9,000 furious Muslims (so far) coming across the Strait of Gibraltar.

And this, of course, lets the rebels hire the Templars and Hospitallers to come to their aid, giving them 9,000 free troops they didn't have before.

I think I've still got this, but I picture my character sat in his great hall receiving a series of messages that cause increasingly profanity laced tirades.

The holy orders won't fight you if you're Christian. They'll just sit there and watch the normal army battle it out with yours.

In my Byzantine game I need one more Tunisian province to form the Roman empire, but all the Muslims are in a defensive pact against me, and none of them are at war with anyone else.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Moreau posted:

Phew, finally managed to complete Black Bishop. I've been trying to get that since the drat game was released! Two final achievements - Prodigious Five and Not So Bad. Kill me now!

So you've stomped the pope with elephants? Not bad.

Question! If a child uses a different portrait set than either parent, can it ever be their legitimate child? For example, can it inherit the portrait set of a grandparent?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Well the black death came through and killed half my family, but I got a cool mask of the red death event out of it. I lost a jihad for Mosul, but I managed to win the last bit of Tunis a few years later. So now I'm the Roman empire!

My remaining son is maybe the only one who's biologically mine, but he's pretty bad stats wise. So I guess that's game over for me until we get holy fury.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

When I press the "manage my titles" button, will they just "manage" the newly conquered titles or will they also carve up my home duchy? Also will my rear end in a top hat vassals give themselves the largest part of the cake, or will they actually distribute it in a way that I might approve?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why does this thread always need to have an unfunny title.

Any title is better than the current one.

Mods please rename me pidan 'the Witch Hunter' of

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's ridiculous metagaming. The proper fuedal thing to do is track down every blood relative you have and land them, traits be damned, best duchies to the closest relatives.

This is how I do it, gotta up that dynasty prestige.

The one thing that bothers me is that I can't give land to my wife. Like, sure, she's a woman, but her children are my heirs. Historically at least the English have a habit of always giving some land to their wife.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Conclave is definitely fun for experienced players, but I wouldn't really recommend it to beginners. The game is difficult enough to get into.

To this day I have never used a favor. But I did get the Yes Men achievement, that was p great.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

baw posted:

So I'm playing Mathilda of Tuscany, 1066 start, and I got matrilineally married and pregnant and everything was going fine. Then my husband disappears. No death notification or anything (unless maybe i missed it somehow,) my husband is simply gone and my ruler is no longer married. I didn't remember his name so didn't know how to track it down. So I figure I'll wait until I poop out the kid and see who his father is. So kid poops out and I find out that his father is now a bishop in Francia, and my newborn son is with him and being raised by his father. He's still my primary heir and everything I just have no idea why my husband ran away to become a bishop and then took my son.

If a married man gets a bishopric (or joins a holy order) their marriage just... ends somehow. I think the kid would normally stay with the mother, make sure to check he's really of your dynasty.

Also check if you can assign him a guardian in your court, or invite him over when he's an adult.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I just finished my Muslim game by converting to Nestorianism and I have to say, I really enjoyed some flavor events and especially the wives drama. Managing decadent relatives was kind of annoying though, especially when my favorite son became decadent and then became so non decadent that he joined some holy order and refused to hold any land.

Mechanically, open succession was pretty great, but I didn't like that women were so useless.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

indigi posted:

all kids get released, all women get put in house arrest (and then ransomed [or released if they're young, single, and childless]), all men caught in war get the chop. I see it as just an extension of the battle, should have stayed home if you didn't want no smoke

I just recruit everybody. All my generals, court physicians, wives, etc, all straight from prison.

Since I installed conclave I've always been rolling in money, so I barely ever ransom people. I execute some people who personally offend me, everyone else can just stay in prison forever.

Sometimes when I see someone in my prison who has been there for longer than my character has been alive and I don't remember what they're in for, I just let them go.

Once I imprisoned my son's fiancee, and she came out with a nice rat friend.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've finally installed the better garbs mod, and while it didn't do too much for the garbs, it has a lot of other amusing features, like really odd looking scars and injuries, crazy eyes for insane characters, and (finally!) a mask for blinded characters.

The new image backgrounds are a bit much, but overall I like it. It also appears to have replaced all the ugly Muslim portraits in the game with a slightly darker version of the Iberian portrait set, which I'm ambivalent about. Apparently I've become attached to the ugly ones. I also like that I can now give other characters a better haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sydin posted:

I'm bored and messing around in the game until Holy Fury, so I thought it would be fun to do an Ireland game and go merchant republic. Not five years into the game I get the immortality event, and I... won it. For the first time in 500+ hours. It's the year 775 and I'm immortal.

:getin:

I've gotten the immortality event for every stat by now, and even when my character has 28 in that stat it still never works. I guess it's realistic in a way.

Just now my genius 28 intrigue emperor of Alba (capital duchy: Seville) went though the intrigue immortality chain, failed to follow the alchemist's recipe, got depressed, got smallpox (there was an epidemic), recovered, immediately got pneumonia, recovered, immediately got the flu, and finally recovered completely. All that while fighting off a crusade for France, since we're Cathars. That was fun!

• Locked thread