Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just started playing this game2 days ago and it is extremely my poo poo. I played tons of rtcw and et:wolf back in the day and this game feels like advanced versions of those. I'm going to buy the started pack this weekend to give them some money but I've just been using the air support guy with the machine gun. Ended up with a lead load out card for him with the right weapons. Anyways definitely pumped that this game exists and splash damage recovered from brink.

I feel bad I never gave brink a shot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I have fragger with his machine gun and it just feels weak. I have the reload perk for it and that makes it usable but it needs a bit more power. Maybe slow down the rof or something. Anyways yeah the m4 seems to be the weapon.

Oh is the smg9 better then the crotzini? I have read it was the other way around but I don't know at what point the tweaks may have made that switch. Game is very nice though.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is cfg scripting similar to ET? Im thinking I want to have my fov change with iron sights. I like a bit wider fov normally. I think I finally figured out how to use the m4 in tight corridors. I like the gun play in this game. I will get into smg's next as those are my normal favorite play gun. I havent ever been into sniper/shotguns for some reason. Too much commitment with each shot I guess. I prefer a slightly skilled pray and spray style :unsmith:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sudo Echo posted:

Play arty or fletcher and you can remove them pretty easily.

Hows that work?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Delacroix posted:

Explosives disperse the smoke. It's supposed to take a lot of explosives, like an airstrike. Currently a nader or fletcher can disperse it nearly instantly.

So skyhammer would as well?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
For me skyhammer has been the best. Followed by fragger but keeping him fed with ammo sucks when you havent learned the maps yet.

oh is anyone here doing competitive play?

Jst0rm fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 27, 2015

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
yeah 5v5 leaves no room for gently caress ups.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

I pretty much only play comp matches because I find 5v5 the most fun though I've mostly played with randos. It's often serviceable but not infrequently infuriating.

See I'm not good enough yet to play those comp matches. I don't know the maps yet and I only really get the mechanics of sky hammer. That's how I do it though. I try to perfect one thing at a time. Hell I could of done that without ever giving them a penny but I knew I liked the game so I got the starter pack.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So I played a bit of saw bone last night. I think the key mappings are kind of messy. Sky hammers packs are on one key and saw bones packs are on the other. I ended up switching back to sky hammer and dropping a air strike on my spawn like a retard because I got used to the med packs being on that key. I am going to have to look into cfg to switch that around or is the in game menu on a per merc basis?

Anyways the smg9 is pretty nice. Decent spread with burst for farther distances. Sounds good too.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If you have access to cfg files you can bind a key to run a script to change key bindings for a few keys for your primary mercs. This is a bit wonky for that should work. Although I don't know how much cfg editorial and commands this game has yet. Still learning with 9 hours in game.

Oh and I think all packs should be on a key because of muscle memory. You just want to not think and do.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

I know, mine kicks in on a per merc basis so this really doesn't bother me.

I dont see how thats possible. Sure after a few minutes you are back in the groove but yeah. The simple solution is a per merc keymap that the player can adjust.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Mentally associate the key presses with the merc rather than the merc to the key presses.

Yes but thats removing muscle memory from the equation. In a competitive you must use muscle memory only for certain things or else you are dead. The alternative is to only play one merc only.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

No, when I play as Sawbonez my reaction to seeing someone with low hp is not to press the "throw ammo" hotkey and vice versa with Skyhammer. All buttons always does the same thing. Q will always heal, E will always give ammo, Q will always call for fire support, and Q will always be your grenades. If you mix up healthkits and ammo then you're the one who hasn't gotten the muscle memory down.

ok fair enough. Ill keep at it.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Dont know if you guys are into tweaked cfg gameplay but here is a video with a stripped down version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK-6m54Jey4

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bloodmobile posted:

That video's from february, all those cfg settings got locked months ago. You can't really do a lot outside of what the in game options let you anymore.

sorry man. I just found this game :( I will check into what can be done today.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bloodmobile posted:

Phoenix update is now live, bringing with it publicly available private matches with friendly fire options & stuff. http://dirtybomb.nexon.net/news/3913/the-phoenix-update

how good is the Hochfir Submachine Gun? I dont know how useful that self revive will be. People will be tuned quick to gibbing him. Private matches are cool but private servers would be more cool.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I have the good phantom card in silver. I plan on picking him up next as I like smg and flanking so yeah why not.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bloodmobile posted:

The steam group is public but entirely inactive. The only person in that group that's ever playing Dirty Bomb when I check the userlist is me. If you still want to join it for whatever reason the link is in the OP.

I should join as I'm playing every day at this point.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

widespread posted:

How long are your sessions? Because I think I'm in that alley too.

Really want Fletcher, on top of it.

It varies. If I'm not working then 3 or more hours over the day but if I'm working then 1 or 2 hours.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

widespread posted:

Ah. I think I usually do an hour or two myself. Depends on mood.

Speaking of mood, prepare for the worst:

I'm half prepared to just start poo poo up for the sake of not getting even more un-needed nerfs/buffs.

EDIT: I should mention what this "exploit" is. Basically, people are doing the mouse wheel trick on BR-16s and Starks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcYs-ffJ-c0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_YNCL_gVE

End result: Mouse Wheel Trick only gives you a .012 second speed up on burst fire.

Not my videos. But it's a thing I'm now super concerned about.

yeah I saw that. The dev q&a acknowledged it so hopefully they will fix it soon. They should of been on that already as thats been a thing since cs 1.6 or earlier.

I joined the group so if you see filterdecay thats me.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

The point is that it isn't a problem. This isn't CS 1.6 where you're firing akimbo pistols faster than humanly possible, this is clicking at regular intervals every second. The videos were made as examples of how a good click-fire player achieves nearly the same rate of fire with only a tenth of a second in difference, meanwhile the scroll-fire player is giving up some of his ability to control his fire when opponents dodge. Burst rifles eat ammo like crazy, even one missed burst is painful and it's half the reason I prefer the BR-16 over the Stark, because that extra burst can and will save your rear end (the other half is that loving "scope").

I havent used any of the burst fire weapons myself. I think the issue is no recoil or spread during that? If every assault rifle and smg is the same then never burst fire/auto and always singleshots would be best. I burst fire the m4 unless I get caught in a hallway.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

widespread posted:

Exactly. There's no real need to even touch the BR-16 since it's actually alright for what it is: better precision for worse ammo consumption if you can believe it. Like, when I first played Arty with it, it felt staggering coming from an M4. Yet... it still did the trick. Just gotta watch your shots.

Also on the patch, does Bushwhacker's nerfs mean the BL81 is now the best? I mean, it was more turret health/responsiveness regardless, which would have been aces on a pre-nerf turret.

EDIT: And here we go with the bitching!

noone could ever throw a grenade and kill 3 people... lol.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

widespread posted:

From a statistics point, Lock-On nullifies the nerf due to making it 30% faster. And 30% of the 0.6 seconds you need for it to lock on would be 0.18 seconds. So from that alone, Lock-On makes your turret fire at them in 0.42 seconds. With Steady, same thing. 22% of 110 would be about 24 more health, thereby nullifying the nerf with 134 Turret health. Of course, wouldn't matter if you got more than one person gunning down your turrets. But I think of a rule of thumb when it comes to deployed things like turrets and mines: set them around corners or in places where they can't reliably shoot at it without explosives. Chances are, any explosive that comes your way will overshoot your deployables, thus giving a false sense of security.

But then again, mines are easier to hide closer to choke point entries so :shrug:

That being said, I might have to agree that his KEK-10 is still good, if mainly for the fact you shouldn't engage anyone with an SMG at any range beyond 10m I'd say. It's what makes all the SMGs shine: Close-range sprays. But that opens up a new question: Should the Blishlok be the only exception to this? Because it feels like- and forgive me for mixing settings- a modern-day MP40 in that it has a slow enough fire rate to allow single shots, plus the look makes it seem like it has more accuracy.

blishlok can definitely get a bit of range. I can always hit people on underground from the gas tunnel place to the vent tubing they run on from spawn to get to the bomb.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

The Blishlock is actually modeled after the Thompson, not the MP40 (the Blish Lock being a patented breech locking mechanism used in the Thompson). It's reasonably good if you can land your shots, but the spread grows pretty quickly which makes it difficult to use at long range unless you take your time. On the flip side, the slow rate of fire makes using it in close quarters rather risky at the same time. It's a bit of an awkward weapon.

I can't comment on what guns 'should' be, I just use them according to whether they suit my needs. :shrug:

aura with the blishlock is one of my mains. Now that you mention it it does feel like the thompson from rtcw. and yes you have to do single shots but the first 2 atleast are on target. So double tap pause double tap pause... and on.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. Double taps with pausing is super slow, versus the guy with the KEK who just spams bullets all over you. If you're landing perfect headshots you can probably take down a light class, but a medium or heavy class will have enough HP to bullethose you.

Only double tap for distance. Lay down fire for hallway fights or closer range is fine. Aura is risky anyways with 80 health so just keep moving.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I dont think this game has any bullet drop off. Has anyone done any research into that?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Execution mode is just medic trains to me, with occasional Skyhammer support.

Oh, and Fletcher/Fragger to root out Aura strongpoints.

All oltl will have loads more medics. But it's interesting because the value they put on the engineer class with it being the CS mode. So yeah need 1 or 2 engineers. 1 sky hammer and everyone else should be medic. The round will be over before you use all your ammo, generally.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

Just found this game over the weekend and played a few rounds. I still haven't seen attackers win a single round in random play, especially when all you have to do is stop the EV over and over. Get a couple of sky hammers and bomb the bejeezus out of it anytime it moves.

attacking is hard for sure but doable. You have to not care about your k:d ratio and thats hard for people. You dont want to be a feeder but sometimes you gotta sacrifice a life.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bloodmobile posted:

Almost all of the mercs are used in at least some form in competitive play, even Arty sees some niche use. The only mercs that don't see any play at all are Proxy, Redeye and Phantom. Proxy and Redeye share the problem of there being mercs do what they do except much better (Bush and Fletch for Proxy, Vas for Redeye). Phantom's in a unique position in that he's an underpowered merc that fills a role that doesn't need to be filled. The 5v5 format just doesn't leave room for someone to be a dedicated backstabber, that role is usually filled by an engineer because he actually has an upside outside of combat.

The hacky way they fixed the beyblade exploit made it so that trying to use melee as your primary is really frustrating right now but he still has the KEK-10 and the cloak does give him some extra health, so you can still use him to dominate pubs if you're good and really want to.

He should have some kind of power attack that instant gibs someone. This would allow him to assassinate someone critical to the team. Not saying that will help him be in comp more but it would give him some more purpose.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If you are just starting out oltl is probably the wrong place to be. I would learn one map very well and then branch out from there.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Had a bit of fun for a change. Looks like Aura's really growing on me, it's actually really fun to plop down health stations and zap people back to life. Having that health station felt awkward when I started with her, but now I just found a groove where I'd drop a station on one flank and then just scoot around to the other to defib people. My pubbies were bad kind enough to hand me the Miracle Worker badge for my efforts. Shooting dudes is for squares. :v:

I lie, of course – I plinked at dudes enough that I ran completely dry a couple of times. (Didn't convert to very many kills, tho. :() Kira might legit be my thing, since I'm really enjoying Aura's speed, the Blishlok's reach and how the station lets me be that small bit more hands-off.

I agree. Aura's speed/ health station and the blishlock (once you learn it) are great. I do get kills with it (aim small miss small) and normally keep at least a 1:1 ratio with revives being my primary goal. I wish there was more to seeing downed people behind you then the minimap. I tend to not let my eyes drift.

I tried sawbonz and the smg9 seemed nice but his movement speed means he isnt gonna be flying around doing assists.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bloodmobile posted:

There is a way to glitch stickies inside the C4 completely; They can't be shot at all, they can only be destroyed by explosives, but they'll still kill whoever is defusing the bomb. It means that the first engineer is pretty much completely doomed if they're playing against a Fletcher who knows how to do it.

explosives all need some work. Proxy planted a mine on the building in chapel during the emp delivery and because it was above the ground I ran over and delivered. For some reason the explosion was on a different plane then me? It did explode but it did no damage even though it was eye level.

Here is another weird thing. On underground attacking with aura. If you place your health station in that side gas room on the right on the second phase it becomes invincible to explosives. I think it has something to do with it being in the fog layer. I actually told them about it because it was WAY too powerful and an exploit. It was fun to sit there plugging the hell out of everyone with a impervious to explosives health station.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
yup. Pray and spray with the blish still feels like surgery.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
those mines are completely invisible to me. Im color blind and the red is brown and blends in with all the rest of the map.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Because we can't have any class bringing anything unique for that cost of ROF, all hail our Fragger overlords.

I think he should gib on headshots only.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Isn't that how it is today?

(Unless you're bodyshot and already low enough HP that it's pushing you past the gib threshold or something, IDK. :v:)

That's possible I guess. I never play him. I'm always just dead

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Delacroix posted:

I don't have too much trouble with fragger because even a good one can be caught out or rendered harmless by wiping out their team repeatedly and focusing on objectives. A good vasili or sparks are going to kill you as soon as you move into their line of sight and clear servers. Sometimes they can forced to ragequit (they'd rather quit than change class) and make matches enjoyable again but often that reversal of fortune turns the other team into punching bags for equally abusive players.

In the case of sparks, I suspect some people are using scripts to rapid fire low charge revivr shots because it's relatively wasteful fully charging a shot when 120 hp characters can be downed with two slightly charged shots in quick succession. The gun is so unhinged I don't think any other game would contemplate implementing the revivr in its state.

Dystopia had a hitscan laser rifle that was very obviously going to murder you that could be countered with effective stealth options. The TF2 sniper rifle has slower charge up and reduces movement speed to a crawl. SD saw fit to give an infinite ammo railgun quick to fire and charge with perfect hipfire accuracy to a character that can bounce around the map with impunity and let them be a medic at the same time. :cripes:

what they need to do is slow the laser fly time more. You dont need it to be fast for a revive and for killing it will be much harder to aim correctly.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I could not get into sawbonez. I don't think his med packs are that great. Aura with a well placed med bay is the best healer.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Congrats.

Looks like the next merc is revealed. Stoker. I love me some tf2 pyro so I hope the maltose are nice. Also looks like that execution map is done and will release. The one with the trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sparticle posted:

It will still kill them in one shot but they will now be able to be revived

I think they will need to buff bolt action rof or have a charge up and gib on headshot thing still. The reality is dirty bomb has some really skilled players in it and some gys are doing major violence as it is.

• Locked thread