Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

axeil posted:

Also, I know you said you're not gonna change the coring costs, but any thoughts on re-balancing MP gain to be 4/4/4 rather than 3/3/3? Seems like it'd make your MP pool a bit deeper and allow you to do more with them while still making it harder to expand like crazy and eat vassals the size of France for minimal cost.
This is no different from just cutting all MP costs significantly so I don't see why they'd do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Rincewind posted:

So, who's the emperor in everyone's games? Austria seemed to lose control of the HRE very quickly in my game. After a brief interval where Bohemia was emperor, the HRE's been glued to Brandenburg ever since.
In my game Austria kept it until just before the HYW when Palatinate somehow got a hold of it.

Then the HYW fired and everyone from Spain to the Russians and Ottomans piled into it - except Austria, hilariously.

The protestants won and 2 province Bavaria somehow ended up emperor.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The reformation is just as random as it always was. In my game they got the British isles, most of the HRE, and France. Probably because it skipped Scandinavia completely, which seems rare.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If it's not a bug I imagine it has to be finances. Moldovia, for example, at game start can't afford to maintain both its fort and army.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'd love to know where and with what ideas people are starting their custom nations. If I were a betting man I'd gamble on most of it being "100% military idea super-Prussia or super-Byzantium."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The development and faction changes made Ming buff enough that even with the autonomy floor they rarely lose a war badly enough to gain enough war exhaustion to start the rebel death spiral. It can happen but it's no longer a foregone conclusion.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Arzakon posted:

Anyone noticed whether 1.12 saves are compatible with 1.13 yet?
Wiz says it worked when they tested it but some people get crashes when they try to load them so it probably depends on the save. Just try yourself, you can always revert back to 1.12.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

ThePutty posted:

does anybody else get really awful stutter at max speed? i'm way over the requirements for the game and yet it's stuttering while looking around the map, but remains smooth when the game is paused
It's always been like this. I assume it's just that when the game thread(s) are maxing out a core they interfere with the rendering thread since they share information. Actually playing at speed 5 is pretty impractical anyway so just turn it down a notch if you want to do stuff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

I think beyond a certain point the cost could conceivably be made steeper

Someone else had the same idea. :v:

Wiz posted:

Extra cost for increasing at each level:

3-9 development: No extra cost
10-19 development: 3% per level between 10 and 19
20-29 development: 30% + 6% per level between 20 and 29
30-39 development: 90% + 9% per level between 30 and 39
40-49 development: 180% + 12% per level between 40 and 49
50-59 development: 300% + 15% per level between 50 and 59
etc

So increasing a province from 59 to 60 costs ~200 points (previously about 109), but increasing from 29 to 30 costs ~95 (previously about 79).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
EDIT: Should have refreshed the thread.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I wish we had a very simple CK2 style system with characters/factions/plots and a very simple V2 style economy that actually sort of moved resources around and used them.
It's too bad Wiz probably won't see this because I bet he'd get a good laugh out of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
EDIT: Whoops misread

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Basically every time either game is updated, patched, DLC'd or looked at too hard the converter stops working. The one guy tasked to maintain it (among other jobs) can't really keep up.
Back before they announced it I always said Paradox knew this would happen and knew better than to make an official converter. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Unlawful territory is any land held in the HRE without a core, not HRE territory held by non-members.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

You should be aware that rulers with higher stats are more likely to die, so while it may be bad luck the game mechanics will also kill them off faster.
Note: this is a joke.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 3, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Koramei posted:

e: Japan is the famous one, but many of the East Asian states were pretty hardcore into isolationism in this time period, and I think that'd suit the game really well actually. You can go in as a player and be megaChina that gets its poo poo together and sails hundreds of thousands of men across the world to be interventionist in Serbia, but as the AI, most of the time at least, they just sort of wallow around in their inward perfection. China never had an ally-unto-death relationship with its neighbors and it's a bit weird how they do that all the time in the game- they shouldn't really give a poo poo about intervening unless it directly affects them (e.g. Imjin War). It'd make it a lot less painful to be in their periphery, and would also let you give them the 9000 development they deserve without turning the world into the Big Peach Blob by 1600.
I might be misremembering but I think Johan and/or Wiz are very strongly against trying to force historical behavior through special AI. Other than the scripted idea group orders I don't think there's any tag-specific behavior, but I'm not a modder so I could be wrong.

Maybe somewhere down the line they'll dedicate a whole expansion to China mechanics because that's probably what it would take.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Clearly they believe the best defense is a good offense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
When he came back from vacation Wiz said they want to fix those in the final version of 1.13.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Speaking of 1.13 AE:

quote:

1.13 has been updated with a small hotfix to fix a math error that was resulting in unintentionally low levels of AE generation,

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Gort posted:

Are there any mods that remove the "directionality" of the trade system? It seems wrong that some nodes are basically pre-destined to be incredible trade earners and others to just have the value sucked out of them.
No, even if that were possible it wouldn't work unless they redesigned the system to prevent loops from creating infinite trade value (since in the current system forwarded trade always gains value.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

All of this looks fantastic. Based on the text and screenshot it looks like you can only raze a province that own and thus cannot raze a province you are occupying in a war?
Considering it permanently destroys development it would be pretty crazy if you could.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

So Paradox posted a screen of the improved Random New World generator on Facebook, and it looks way better. I love that there's a sneaky passage through to Asia too.

That is pretty cool. I can't tell where the edges of the tiles are at all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There's a colonial regions map mode that shows you exactly where colonial nations form. They don't form in areas that aren't part of a CR.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There's a check box for "manage attitude" for each nation, so I assume if that's not set the AI just falls back on the old behavior.

Which makes sense, there's no way they would expect the player to set an explicit attitude for every nation neighboring them and any of their allies. (And it can't default to neutral because that has effects.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I wonder how provinces having multiple fort zones of control will work. If a province is in the ZoC of three different forts, does that mean an army in that province can move to any of those three forts? Or do they get stuck there because moving to any of the fort provinces would violate the ZoC of the other two forts? Can forts exert ZoC on another fort province if they are directly adjacent to each other, so even after capturing one fort you still have to capture the one beside it in order to move any farther inland?
The former and yes would be the intuitive way for it to work, certainly. I remember back when the fort changes were made people were constantly getting confused by the "only one zone per province" rule because virtually everybody assumed it would work that way.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 5, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
No, we just talk about it in the general Paradox thread since information is still pretty thin.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah protectorates are more targeted at Africa, India, and southeast Asia, where you can't form CNs anyway.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Blackluck posted:

Has anyone had issues where your allies never ask you to join their wars?
I started a custom nation in eastern Siberia. I allied the Siberian Tribal nation there (Burynsomething) as well as Korea. The aforementioned was only allied to me but they decided to attack a blobby Mongolia and its vassal without any help. They got annexed in the process. I made sure to not make them a protectorate for the very reason I wanted to keep them around if they got in trouble. Korea has been in multiple wars and despite good relations they never ask for my help either.
If you're manually managing relations with them, did you check the "I will join your offensive wars" box?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I bet someone feels silly about how they named that CEU3AI class these days.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Dibujante posted:

The last time I set my ruler and heir to female, I got primarily (but not exclusively) female rulers over the course of the game. Possibly a coincidence.
I could have sworn this is a deliberate feature Wiz commented on at one point but I might be crazy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Johan said "we'll fix it in mare nostrum" in a dev multiplayer stream so everyone's assuming that's either the codename or real name of then next DLC.

And yeah 1.16 is the next DLC patch.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's going to be Rome 2 which will be teased using the code name Vicky 3.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's probably possible. I mean, the map is a fully 3D object, just a flat one.

They'd have to totally change how the map is loaded though. Isn't it defined by some square 2D images now?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 4, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah the AI is still too bad at transporting troops to consistently be a threat to Africa.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Players complain about the AI breaking alliances with them too easily.

Paradox revamps diplomacy to make alliances more stable and long-lasting.

Players complain powerful AI alliances are now more stable and long-lasting.

I don't pretend to know what solution would actually make the greatest number of people happy here but it's still pretty funny. Maybe they should bring back the steep modifier against allying with other major powers but people complained about that too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

FadingChord posted:

[*]Victorian Three:
Paradox's cruelty knows no bounds.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Well it's kind of always that way because anything absolutely integral to the game has to be free for the multiplayer DLC model to work.

And any time a DLC feature gets tied too closely to something in the patch (ie: increasing development) some people complain bitterly about paradox conspiring to force them to buy the DLC.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know why the starting number of possible states is so damned high. You'd think it would start small and then increase as you moved through Admin tech or government levels or something.
Originally states were regions, not areas, and you only started with 1-3 before admin tech. This didn't really work for countries that happened to start at the intersection of multiple regions, so it was changed to areas and the number increased.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
They aren't severe enough to warrant a hotfix by themselves and there's no hotfix-worthy bugs they can piggyback onto, so they're waiting for the bugfix major patch along with everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Then stop buying DLC. Johan really likes to repeat that "we'll make it as long as you buy it" line even though that's pretty dumb because players don't know when enough is enough. That's what designers are for!

You'd think Johan of all people would appreciate that by now.

• Locked thread