Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

firestruck posted:

Type tech 30 in console.

The console doesn't let you exceed your maximum monarch point pool.

Yes it does. "adm <xyz>" et al will let you; "powerpoints" won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Tsyni posted:

How much should I try feeding Lithuania before I form the commonwealth? Is there any point where it gets too big, or anything like that?

Nope, go hog wild. The historical friend bonus should keep them from ever becoming a problem vassal, so won't ever rebel, so won't ever be an issue.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Merc reinforcements do not use manpower. They're magicked into existence.

Go to the religion tab after pressing f1 or right clicking on a country or whatever. Then if you can freely change, the button in the top left will be orangey/gold. If not, you have to be converted by rebels.

Nothing more to it. I rarely bother, the bonuses aren't earth shatteringly good. Certainly can't justify investing more than once.

Iirc no, no stab hits for heirs dying in battle/sieges whatsoever. Could be wrong though. Obviously if they succeed (e: accede? Can't remember, tired, phone posting, whatever) to the throne then they will be at risk for stab hits.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 12, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Sheep posted:

The tooltip is ambiguous, but if you become emperor are you able to re-increase your government level back to whatever the present cap is (based on development, obviously)? As in if you start with 1000 development, join HRE and drop to duchy, you should be able to get back to empire by pressing the button unless being a duchy is hardcoded for everyone but Bohemia and Austria. In which case that's really dumb.

You're stuck as a duchy unless you're an elector, in which case you can be a kingdom. Nobody can be an emperor. Austria is, in fact, stuck at duchy (archduchy, in fact)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Thunder Moose posted:

Bottom right corner you will see a button near the HRE button - start a debate their, bribe the seats with various stuff to get a chance of winning. It's a pretty neat mechanic tbh.

I believe it needs Common Sense, though. If you don't have that then you're probably screwed... :(

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

So this custom AI in Sicily has carved out a vast north african empire, none of it distant overseas. This "Palermo" country now has most of southern Italy, it's home island of Sicily, and half of north africa all sitting at 0% automony. Has something gone wrong or if your capital is close enough to North Africa you can count both europe and africa as home/connected to capital?

Correct, anything on another continent that is within a certain range of your capital does not count as distant overseas. However, provinces outside of that range -- even ones that connect to other provinces inside it -- will count as distant overseas, so there's a limit as to how far they can go before they hit the penalties.

The wiki has that range as 150 units, which isn't enormous

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

TTBF posted:

e: For my next game I'm considering Brandenburg -> unified HRE -> Prussia. Is that even possible? I'm unsure if you can form Prussia after forming the HRE.

The (generalised) form Prussia decision is speciflcally set not to appear for the HRE.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

Edit: does anyone know if Chinaware is actually limited to China/Indochina or can it spawn from colonies or even in the new world?

It can fire in colonies, but only in the Indonesian region or in province 738, which appears to be Taiwan. You can't get it in the new world.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Koramei posted:

You'd have to get religious rebels to convert a bunch of your land. Not impossible but pretty tough, especially since your capital is over a straight and they'll never be able to cross that without getting blocked by a three thousand ships that constantly flow in and out of it.

You could probably just take enough Sunni provinces that when they rise up and occupy one province, accepting their demands is available, and will convert you. You start with, what, 9? Taking 10 shouldn't be impossible. (Hopefully it's not based on development -- I'm actually not sure...)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

And the 6 lines above that one for staying as a republic

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

And this will work on a game in progress, not just a new game?

So long as it's not Ironman (because you won't be able to load the save), yes, it'll work

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

TTBF posted:

Anyone have tips on the achievement to become an elector?

Play as Austria, get the PU over Bohemia, stack as much diplo rep as you can and wait until you inherit them outright (not integrate). You'll get their vote when you do

Alternatively the AI is meant to prioritise small archbishoprics iirc, so play as one of those and sit around for a while

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Claim strength doesn't affect what happens with PUs. Only down to opinion or prestige.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

It's not that actually, it's that you need to have one of their cores which is of their primary culture. Aquileia is Venetian, while Gorz is Austrian. (This is also why you can never resurrect the Livonian Order if they die, as they're Prussians without any Prussian land.)

efb

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The distant overseas autonomy cap makes the land garbage if you hold it yourself; CNs will be able to do enough with it to field a modest army and/or navy to help you out, while giving you a small amount of income in tariffs and a decent amount of trade power. Most appealing of all, you get a free merchant once your CN reaches 10 provinces. Just form them.

E: note to self do not post when half asleep, uh yeah hold it yourself if you can get 0% autonomy. Make sure not to gently caress up your ordering of colonisation or anything and accidentally form one

Allyn fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 19, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

VDay posted:

Going to double post but I just had one of my Catholic HRE vassals spawn a center of reformation seemingly without actually converting to Protestant. Is there an event that does that, or is that some kind of bug? It's been like two months since the reformation popped and so far only Sweden and England are Protestant nations. My vassal is still Catholic but his province has been flipped to Protestant and there's a center of reformation on it. I thought only the first three converted nations got those? Is there a chance that he somehow converted to Protestant and then immediately converted back? I have the event popups active for the reformation and got messages about Sweden and England but nothing mentioning my vassal. Here's a religious map of Europe at the time:

As you can see it's still super early on and no other nations besides Sweden and England are Protestant. The CoR is in the bigger blob right in the middle of the HRE there. On top of that, the lone Protestant province in the top of the HRE there didn't actually get converted by the center, and doesn't have a Religious Zeal modifier on it so the owner is just casually flipping it back to Catholic. Did something weird happen here or is it just the game helping Protestantism along?

The event which fires the reformation occurs randomly and does not forcibly convert you. Independent countries will (almost always) convert, but vassals won't.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

No, it has to be a country whose primary culture is Dutch:

code:
possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		primary_culture = dutch
		NOT = { tag = NED }
	}
Not even sure culture shifting would count, because it may well check on the start date.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Sekenr posted:

What exactly is the benefit of getting your candidate on the throne of another country's elective monarchy?

You get a big relations boost with Poland/PLC and 50~ of each monarch point type (maybe up to 100?).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Transmetropolitan posted:

How do I break a country?

I won massively a war against the Ottomans as Russia and I am occupying all their territories. After neutralizing them, should I just wait for rebels then peace out?

Any province you occupy has your revolt risk, so their rebels aren't that likely to fire. Just get them up to 20 war exhaustion (you can see it on the war overview screen) and then peace out for whatever. Then they'll have to deal with all those provinces returning to them, with all the added WE unrest, on top of having no army. If they have the points to buy it down they'll do so, but whatever, not much you can do about that.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Weird. I'm allied with Great Britain, and the last 3 times they called me to war, I accepted, and then didn't actually get added to the war. What's up with that?

Were you in another war? You can't be at war with the same country in two wars, or fighting on the same side in one and opposite sides in the other. If that happens after you get a CtA it doesn't let you join.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Songhai starts getting really powerful events once they take Timbuktu. Something like -20% to both idea cost and tech cost for the rest of your ruler's life the biggest of them

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Bel Monte posted:

Speaking of, which countries would folks say are the best at conversion? Doesn't have to be Christianity, but best ones for going on a crusade?

Najd gets +5%(!!) from their traditions, plus an extra missionary from their NIs. Then you have obvious expansion routes to the Holy cities and Jerusalem which each grant a further 2 missionaries. Add 2% from piety and, if you really wanna go the whole hog, 3% from Religious ideas and you can do just about anything in 2 years >.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So I was wanting to do a Spain->HRE game. Started as Aragon to get that l33t France alliance, and was just absolutely loving killing it until.... I was no longer eligible to become emperor. I was still a monarchy, had a King, and the HRE hadn't passed any reforms AFAIK, and I couldn't force them to retract reforms after winning a war.

Any ideas?

Have a queen? They can't become empress unless the pragmatic sanction's been passed, and only Austria gets that event because ~reasons~

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Pretty sure I've seen Bohemia get the Pragmatic Sanction before so I think that's not correct.

Entirely possible it got changed tbh, I've not played for a while (and I may have missed it changing before then anyway). It was that case at one point in time, anyway :shobon:

Also I just noticed you said king in the post anyway so :durr: my bad. What's the exact wording when you mouse over the electors?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

You prooobably shouldn't be able to get events forcibly assigning an estate to a colony-in-progress... First run at ideas guy hosed because I got it literally 2 months into colonising my first province, instantly giving the nobility 85% influence, 4% disaster gain per month, and no way to revoke the province from them because the UI isn't available for it until it's a fully-fledged province :(

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I'm getting a CTD on 1 Sept 1624 every single time and I have no idea why :( happens with and without mods (in Ironman so even with mods the checksum's unchanged anyway). Anyone else gotten that far in and had any issues? I *think* an Ironman autosave tries to go off on that date, but not certain. (The previous savedate was certainly at 1 June before the first CTD, but I've manually saved on 1 July and played from there and still crashes on 1 Sept, even though that's only 2 months later.)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

See, this is why we need seeds.

Nah, I could only get to 1502 before the CTDs forced me to quit :v:. Fix seems to be a clean reinstall, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Nice to see this problem back again, I haven't seen it around since Rome. Makes me all nostalgic. :shepicide:

Followed all that advice and nope, it still dies. Think this save might be completely dead :(

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Why isn't this good enough to form Malaya? http://imgur.com/Bucjc0C

MrBling posted:

You need the uncolonised bits in your chosen area as well.

To be more specific: you're missing Sulu, the trio of islands to the east-north east, and Palawan, which is the long, thin island off the northeast. (TIL: The sourthern parts of Palawan were apparently part of Sultanate of Brunei in reality until 1749, when Spain annexed the island and it became part of the Spanish Philippines. So while it's weird by today's standards it's not actually ahistorical!)

Allyn fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 2, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

This Mongolia game is fun as hell. Ming is a thundering juggernaut, but having learned my lesson from the last war, I'm hoping I can bait their stacks in and wipe them out on my turf should they attack again. The hordes around me are next to useless; I'm just hoping Buryatia is going to fall to internal strife soon. I don't know how their Horde unity isn't zero, seeing as they haven't attacked anyone all game.

The Buryatians aren't a horde, they're a Siberian clan like the Kamchatkans (only they can't migrate because they have more than one province, obv)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Has anyone found that getting caught fabricating a claim postpones the completion date for fabrication by one day every day? So it can never finish? I've had this across multiple games, v. weird

e: Oh actually it's just most days so it slows it down enormously. Was this in the patch notes?

Allyn fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 3, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

How much does income take off in the last 150 years? I've only reached the end once, and that was about CoP time. I'm 150 years from the end now, tech 22 about to come out, and I'm still 260 ducats/month away from Ideas Guy... and there's no trade route from the Ivory Coast to the New World, so I won't be able to chain that as you usually would with a European nation. I'm colonising 8 provinces at once (can probably stand to go up to 9 tbh) but it's not gonna be even close at the current rate. I'm the biggest country in the world so mass conquest of the rest of the colonised new world is on the way after I get imperialism CB in 2 techs time, but I'm still unsure whether it's gonna be enough :(

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Can't you send Asian trade to the Americas? Or just expand into Europe

Nope, no link that way either. And all the European land will be at 75% autonomy. I'll probably end up doing that anyway because I have manpower to burn but it's not gonna be particularly fruitful

I mean, consider this: I have 1587 development right now and I'm only making 210 gold/month, 134 from production/tax. I'd have to conquer 6000 development at 75% autonomy to get another 134. Trade makes up most of it, but still...

Allyn fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 4, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

How does one reduce the influence of an Estate? My Tribes are sitting around 70% all the time, from 10% Base, 20% number of provinces, and 40% number of cities. I have no idea what that number of cities modifier actually comes from; am I just too big, and bound to face a showdown in the near future?

Cities is 10% for every 10 provinces you own, capped at 40%. The disaster's nasty (1 stab hit at start, +50% tech cost +50% idea cost, need 1 stab to take the decision to get out of it, decision costs 3 stab and 2 development in your capital) soooo sacrifice your loyalty, basically. Sucks but it's what you gotta do.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Humanist + offering Dhimmis everything seems like a really really good approach tbh. No revolts from lack of religious unity anymore, idea cost AND tech cost discounts? Uhhh alright :)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The change to the trade goods mapmode, so that it cross shades provinces where that trade good can appear, is brilliant... but it should only show on as-yet-uncolonised provinces, surely? Literally all of Western Europe and as far north as Stockholm is cross shaded when you click grain, despite already having trade goods, so it's not going to change (without an event anyway). Makes it a pain to look at :(

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Do they disappear if you're Western tech or do you get to keep them? Sounds pretty powerful if you can be Western and still get all those bonuses.

Just checked and yes, they do disappear after westernising... so I guess you can convert it all over then.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Do dhimmi provinces not get the malus for low tolerance/wrong religion or does the bonus to tolerance from dhimmi get you positive?

EDIT: Also makes religious ideas feel like a waste. Guess I can just get Deus Vult and refund it later on

They do still have RR from low tolerance, but 0.5/1/1.5/2 tolerance of heathens (going up per 20 influence, with 0.5 at 0, so max of 2, and only when over 60 loyalty) probably isn't enough on its own. I still think you'll need humanist though, except maaaybe the Ottomans.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

skipThings posted:

Will I receive the Ideas guy achievement even if I use less than the eight hundred points? Getting real tired of trying to reach the full eight hundred points in the custom country creator

You should do, yeah. You can double check immediately after starting now they've added the achievements screen in-game: if it shows up you're eligible, if it doesn't then you're not eligible and can just exit immediately

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Late last night I think I realized how Tribes are actually supposed to be used. It's a lot of micro, but you essentially get -20% Cav Cost and +20% Manpower (I forget the exact number) for free.

See, having the Tribes own provinces doesn't technically hold any penalty. It just sets an autonomy floor of 50. But since you're a Horde that's constantly at war, what you want to do is give them every newly conquered province, whose autonomy will all be over 50% anyway. Just make sure they don't get more than 35% of development to keep Influence down. Periodically look back through your country, find any province that's tribe controlled, and take it away if actual autonomy is getting close to 50. The Tribes don't actually care if you take provinces away really, only that they control 33% of total development.

So they need to be between 33-35% of development for maximum efficiency? drat that sounds tedious. I guess it gets easier (yet simultaneously more time consuming) as you get huge, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Whorelord posted:

Yeah done that too, even conquered Sulu for the hell of it

You need the whole region that Sulu is in, which contains another small uncolonised island province, just east of Borneo

• Locked thread