Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
You know what I almost fine with the more expensive coring, +40% on average isn't that bad and its easier to stay above 50 power projection anyway. Plus it makes -coring cost idea much more valuable.

What bothers me is diplo-anaxing being almost 300% more expensive, which pretty much means its always going to more expensive point wise then just Taking the land yourself in the first place considering you don't get the reductions from claims on your vassals land. It almost feels like they completely forgot to rebalanced it for then development system. I'm not a game designer but I really feel it should be something like 5-7 diplo points per development.

The other thing that I feel really wasn't balanced for the new expansion features was rebels who negatively effect a province when they take it. Rebels taking land without a fort in one month is one thing but I really feel you shouldn't get +10 years of separatism or have the religion of the province flipped while that land is still in the zone of control of a fort. I mean isn't the whole point of the new fort system that forts are suppose to protect the land around them, and make it so you never feel like you fully control the land as long as the nearby fort is uncaptured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

I haven't played enough to really be sure but it feels like at the moment diplo-annexing is just strait up worse then coring.

Diplo-annexing vs Coring

+ No separatism
+ Reconquering vessel cores gives less AE
+ Vassals can sometimes covert land you couldn't thanks to accepted cultures.

- More expensive on average, same base cost but you don't get -10% for claims. You can get -25% from influence, but coring gets -20% from Admin.
- 75% local autonomy instead of 40-50%
- Takes longer, diplo is 1 year per 4-5 development (amusing 3 to 4 points per month on average) vs a flat 3 years for coring, less if its accepted culture or in your culture group.
- Ties up a diplomat, probably the most overlooked downside, that's time your not spending fabricating claims to get you more land, or improving relations to keep people out of coalitions. Unless you have an extra diplomat from ideas or an embassy you really cant afford to tie one up for several decades in order to annex Brittany.

I know it was way to good before, but I think its now gone too far in the other direction. I think a better solutions would be for Diplo-annexing to be more like 6 points per development, (which is still 50-80% more expensive then it use to be amusing 1 base tax equals about 2.5 to 3 development) but diplo-annexing now gives you 10-15 years of nationalism unless your the same culture. I mean just because the nobility agreed to become part of your glorious empire doesn't mean the rest of the population is happy about it.

edit: If it seems like I'm being too negative, I am loving the rest of the expantion, the changes to forts are great It makes warfare way more interesting.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 10, 2015

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

I would like to formally apologize for complaining about rebels being able to siege land add 10 years off nationals for land in a forts ZoC when in fact it already worked the way I wined they should change it to. That will teach me to actually play the drat game before running to the forums to complain about it.

Well in any case I should probably get around to trying to form Italy once the hotfix comes in.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Contingency Plan posted:

I haven't tried CS/1.12 yet, what is it about this update that makes France such a pushover? I know the two countries no longer start at war but shouldn't France, as the wealthier country be able to raise much larger armies? Did England get a buff?

At any rate, I think it's time I got around to finally getting One Night in Paris.

France lost its vessels and the extra force limit that came with them, and all the land they had now starts with like 50-70 autonomy instead. basically France went from having close to 40 starting regiments to 26 vs England's 25. Add in being able to call in Allies to the war and Burgundy getting stronger for the same reasons France is weaker and you Have France losing the HYW even without player intervention as often as not.

Also if anyone hasn't seen the Burgundian Inheritance this patch yet it's kind of funny, Burgundy will instantly inherit all of its PUs and vassals right before it explodes Like a star expanding right before it goes suppernova.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

So remember how the patch notes mentioned adding an event that can give you a female heir? Well I just got it 3 years into my new Milan campaign and it's the female version of Lux Stella. No guaranteed 6 Stat, and only an average claim but you get 4 posible choices, 3 famous names, or a name from your culture, and you can see there stats ahead of time.

I ended up with a 3/5/5 Emma, so it looks like the Ambrosian Republic going to have to wait a while this time around. :j:

Edit: just realized the events going to fire anyway because of the average claim, well looms like I'm going to be eating a 3 stab hit. Still worth it assuming no horse riding accidents.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 12, 2015

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Gorelab posted:

What all determines how much development is needed per buildling slot? I have places with less slots even though the development is the same.

It's terrain type, you get 1 extra buildings on farmland, and minus one on rough terrain like mountains and dessert.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 13, 2015

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

So I looked up defines for the new female heir event (Ironically listed in the events as Lux Stella) and I think it actually gives you a better rulers then the male version on average. "Lux Stella" gives you 6 in your chosen stat and lets you pick from 3 possible heirs. The new one "Starlight" sets your heirs minimum stats to 4/3/3 with the min 4 in your chosen stat and lets you pick from 4 possible heirs.

The one thing I'm not certain of though, is when the event file says Stat=4 does that mean the game rolls 4-6 for the stat, or does it mean it rolls 0-6 like normal than sets it to 4 if less. Because the later is significantly worse than the former.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Also Italy is stupid rich right now, In my current game I'm getting close to forming Italy and I'm already richer than France. Sure took a few provinces off Switzerland And garbed Tirol off Austria and snaked my way south to grab the gold in Serbia but I haven't even touched Savoy or the Papal states yet. Part of it is all those tiny states that don't have anything better to do with their points then build up to the stars, so something may start as a 14 development province, but by the time you annex it 50 years later its become a 22 development monster.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

So either theirs something wrong with diplo-annexation costs or the theirs some penalty the tool tip is mentioning because twice now the game has made me pay 10 Diplo power per development instead of 10 in order to annex one of my vessels. Both times it was right after I fed them some land so unless that adds a penalty to diplo-annexing the game isn't telling me about something weird is going on.

Edit: When I look in the ledger Ferrara is 65 development, but when I go to annex them it says their 81 development. Making me pay 648 diplo points, or pretty much exactly 10 per base development .

Edit part 2: Figured it out Its the +25% coring cost from Italian Ideas, they really need to fix the tool tip to show +Corring cost instead of lying about the development level, It use to do the same thing with base tax.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 13, 2015

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

So apparently with the new government rank/title systems there's some fun little Easter eggs depending on your culture, government, and religion.

Animist Egyptian monarchies get to be Pharaohs, while Italian ones can become Imperator if they manage to become an empire.

German republic empires get Presidents, while Islamic ones get Grand Viziers.

If your a Confucian theocratic empire, your led by a Son of Heaven.

However if you want true power form a Romanian empire and have your ruler can transcend their mortal form and become a Car.

The full list can be found in Europa Universalis IV\common\government_names

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Patrat posted:

The base value of the trade generated in a node comes from production, so if you example you control 90% of an end node (optimistic!) then build a manufactury or workshop in a province that is within said node you would get the money from the productivity then 90 percent again on top from collected trade.

Manufacturies in decent production provinces where you also control the trade can pay themselves off within 70 or 80 years.

Workshops don't increase trade value. Trade value is based on the value of the trade good times the amount produced. Workshops don't increase the amount of goods produced, they increase production efficiency, so you earn more money off the same amount of goods.

It's manufactories that let you double dip by increasing goods produced. Which synergize nicely with the efficiencie bonus from wokshops.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm playing a little custom country that has basicaly all of the english channel trade node. I have English, Dutch, French and a few others as accepted cultures and everyone is happy. For some reason some insane dutch people have this idea of a "netherlands" and raise massive stack after stack of rebels. Do they eventually give up after a certain date? Am I going to have to move my capital to Holland or something to get them to stop?

The event can only can only fire once per provenance, It fires if own dutch land but don't have dutch as your primary culture. Yea its a little silly that it doesn't care your accepted culture or not.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Don't worry to much about the gold mine depletion thing, it only happens if you go over 10 production and the game will tell you in the tool tip before you do it.

But 10 production is already ridiculously high, it's the equivalent of an old 10 base tax gold mine. There's a reason there were no base tax 10 gold mines in the game. In my Italy campaign Triol is earning my 8 per month and it's still at 40% local autonomy. Between that and Kosavo I'm getting .07 inflation per year even with the highest trade income and second highest development in the game, thank god I'm going economic ideas.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

double nine posted:

Hang on, does this mean you can use this process to avoid paying a portion of the diplo costs? 'Cause that'd be

Annex costs definitely dynamicly update mid anexxation. I've had vassals develop a province mid anexxation and it updated the cost accordingly.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

The one downside of the new building system is the removal of the bonuses from unique buildings. No more -5% tech from universities. Or reduced maintenance from the grain depo. The biggest casualty is probably the lack of an extra diplomat from the embassy. Diplomatic was already one of the best first idea groups just because of the extra diplomat. Now it feels almost mandatory because you don't have any other way to get one.

The other huge one is the lack of extra leaders without upkeep come late game, which really hurts large empires. I suppose this does make aristocratic a better idea group as it gives you both leaders without upkeep and a diplomat.

Edit: Beaten like AI Albania.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Oh to have Europe look like it did in 1560.

Man that's the shittiest Hungary, I mean AI Hungary usually gets its rear end kicked but not that bad.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

VerdantSquire posted:

Okay, I know that catholic and other religions can join the protestant league just fine, and the whole system for that has a very historical basis. But I do really think a particular religious leader needs to go home and take some time to sober up, because I'm not quite sure he knows what hes doing here.

"gently caress the Hapsburgs" knows no religious boundaries.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

The real fun thing with estates is sticking them in newly conquered lands. It's a little harder now as the land has to be in an existing state for you to give an estates an uncored provence. But now that estates remove the local autonomy penalty for their respective development type you can take a 50% autonomy, newly conquered, province and immediately get full, tax, man power, or trade power from it.

Also don't be afraid to drop below 40% loyalty or above 80 influence if you have too. 35% loyalty takes under 5 years to tick back up over 40 and just costs you a little bit of money or manpower. And as long as your under 85 influence the disaster only ticks up by 1 per month. As long as one the influence modifiers is going away in under 8 years your perfectly safe. Worst comes to worst just revoke some land for a few years. The penalty for not enough land us only 3% loyalty per year, and that gets partially counteracted by the normal tick up if you under 50%.

And don't forget to milk them for guaranteed, half-off, statesmen, masters of the mint, theologians, and inquisitors whenever you need them.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Obliterati posted:

Annoyingly this is gone. Now it's negative relations only, I think?

Yeah although it's balanced by negative prestige giving a huge hit liberty desire now. I forget if it's +50 or +100 at -100 prestige, but either way your not going to be wanting to disinherit too many heirs when you have a PU going.

Edit: don't you get the PU if you full annex the senior partner. I know it works that way for other kinds of subjects like vassals and colonial nations, but I don't know if they changed that for PUs.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 14, 2016

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

So aperently when they changed the tech sytem they forgot that the overseas expansion cb is tied to tech group, which you can't change anymore. In my kongo game spain was able to declare an overseas expansion war on me when I had more institutions than them and better military tech. Then they aperently regretted that decision because the ai never even tried to land troops in Africa, and I didn't have the fleet to try to invade Iberia so the warscore just hovered ariund zero until spain got bored enough to white peace out.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Poil posted:

Let me put it this way, the glorious capital of the mighty Korean empire has 65 development. :downs:

I think its a bit of waste of points to do it all in one province, after a certain point you cap on you institution spread per development. In my kongo game I ended up creating 3 size 37-40 provinces right next to each other, one for feudalism, one for renaissance, and one for printing press.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 21, 2016

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Gort posted:

That must be a poo poo-ton of monarch points and sitting around clicking "develop".

Almost exactly 2000 each +- any modifiers to development regardless of starting development due to the way it scales. It's still cheeper then trying to tech up with a 50% penalty and you get some sweet as provinces out if it.

Poil posted:

Yeah, I stopped using the capital after printing press and pumped another province for global trade. Manufactories spread so insanely fast in a few provinces I didn't need to develop anything for it. :toot:

Why would you develop for gobal trade? It automatically spreads to any province with a center of trade, any province with a market, and any province with the printing press and those effects stack. You should have it in all your high development provinces within 15 to 20 years.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 21, 2016

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Rather to my surprise, I managed to dominate South Africa with a moderately suboptimal African Great Lakes start. (Although really, if you can survive the first war and not have the coastline and Mutapa dominated by a single power, you're actually in okay shape medium-term.)

Now I need to decide whether I want to leave a potentially-fatal, potentially-valuable opening in one of the poo poo coastal provinces to let Europeans ship me institutions.

Edit: decision was made for me. Castile :argh:

Oh well, they surprisingly enough decided to ally with me, and my main goal for this game is to Not Die anyway. Ideally I can also knock off the Fetishist achievement.

Double edit: :stare: Fetishist achievement looks rough. There are seventeen possible Fetishist cults. You need thirteen.

Four cults are tied to, respectively: Norse, Jewish, Zoroastrian, and Central American furriner religions.

Guess my next project is to rush for South America!

It's not actually that bad, you can get 6 from other fetish nations + your starting 3 so you only need 4 more. Snag the new world one if have the exploration cb otherwise go for Christianity/Islam/Hindu/Buddhism. Remeber you don't need to actually take any land just be at war with them and fight a few battles. You can always just wait for the imperialism cb and then pick up any you missing.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

One of the best things you can do as the Mamalukes is to eat as much land from the Turkish minors as you can before the Ottomans can. You can strengthen yourself while denying them what's normaly free land.

And remeber if someone is small enough to eat in one war you can full annex them then spit them back out as vassle without the opinion penalty from force vassalising them.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Obliterati posted:

Do be careful with this, as you'll take more AE than from a force-vassalisation.

It's a question of what's more valuable to you, 33% less AE or saving some diplo points and having a more loyal vassal. Useful trick if your in Africa or cental Asia, not so useful in the HRE.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Does having a higher forcelimit without actually building those forces make a difference? In hundreds and hundreds of hours of EU4 I NEVER find myself at maximum force limit as larger countries. Never ever ever ever ever. Yet you post about it often. I know you play the game at a high level (which I generally do not) but I just dont get it.

The only time I ever felt the need to build +force limit was the end of my Congo run where I owned 90% of africa and had more money then God and I wanted a bit more force limit to help push the Ottomans out of Egypt under a wave of mercs.

Even with twice their development the Ottomans with quality ideas still had a higher force limit then me.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 31, 2016

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

WilliamAnderson posted:

Unit types. The pips had been balanced a while back and while Western troops are still the best in the endgame, there are times where Turkish and Chinese are the best I think.

Western tech actuly has far and away the worst cavelry early game, starting with fewer pips and taking longer to upgrade, and they dont take the lead until tech 18. Meanwhile western infanty starts mediocre and dosnt reach the top until tech 19 when they tie with a bunch of others. They dont actually have an undisputed edge till tech 28 when the napoleonic units show up.

Turkish tech is interesting as its near the top for most of the early and mid game, but they fall off hard late game, ending with the worst units of any tech group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Has anyone pulled off the 'hoarder' fetishist cheevo? I'm trying it as Butua, and I'm having difficulty getting the last two madagascar cults - i'm neighboring & at war with a fetishist Madagascar nation, but the cults aren't appearing?

You can also get the cults by ocupying lands of the religeon/cult region,try some of their lands and see if the causes it to fire.

I'm not sure though in my kongo run I got both other sets of fetishist cults in groups of 3 as soon as I took land in the region.

• Locked thread