Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Tsyni posted:

Can someone explain how the colony discount is applied to coring? I'm playing as Najd, conquering provinces around the Horn of Africa. I notice some say I'll get the giant Colony discount, but Ethopian provinces say I won't, even though a tiny country north of them has provinces that say I will get the discount when I mouse over the coring button.

Is it just lying? And what exactly determines when I get the discount? Is it region based or do I need a non-contiguous path?

The province needs to count as distant overseas for the 50% discount to apply. A province is distant overseas if it's not on the same continent as you are and you don't have a land connection (straits count) to it. When you hover over the button the game correctly says that you'll get the discount because you don't own the connecting provinces yet. But once you annex the land you generally take the connecting provinces too which will make you ineligible for the discount when it actually matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

The ottomans learn the hard way that annexing 120 development worth of HRE land in one shot might not be a good idea. Also 1 million manpower is a lot this patch.

e: At least they kept their hre land.

I think my new goal of this campaign will be to make the ottomans a part of the hre.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 4, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

:stare:

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

VDay posted:

Is aggressive expansion still based on base tax/admin development? Because if so then my main concern with there being dozens of super-developed provinces is if it means that annexing a 50-development OPM immediately triggers a continent-wide coalition against you (or the AI) because taking any decently developed province gives enough AE to put every single neighbor over the threshold. I mean on the one hand, coalitions probably could use to be a little more aggressive since it's still somewhat easy to play around them, but on the other hand you're potentially slowing the pace of the game down to an unplayable crawl if taking any kind of meaningful territory means you have to chill out for 50 years afterwards.

Thats why AE is capped at 30 development.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

It's really dumb that a protectorate starting/finishing Westernization doesn't get a popup by default.

Also I think I found a bug: The "Land Reclamation in Holland" decision doesn't seem to stick. I select it, development costs go down in Holland, but then if I go back a couple minutes later costs are back up and the decision can be taken again.

Yeah that decision is bugged. It also causes the AI to never have any admin once that decision unlocks for them. It's funny to look at the tech of a lategame Ai netherlands.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Back To 99 posted:

Is it this one?

I don't see what's wrong with it, so i'll just disable it if anyone can confirm please.

The province modifier has no specified duration. Which means it has no duration at all and will be cleared at the earliest tick. It needs a "duration = -1" to be permanent.

Baronjutter posted:

When does that event fire? I've never seen it in my dutch game and these swamps are expensive to develop.

It's not an event it's a decision. It also costs 50 adm and the ai will spam it every month if it can.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 6, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
If you manage to get plutocratic ideas on top of humanist and diplomatic ideas and enlightened despotism and trading in silk you can get your accepted culture threshold down to this:

It does exactly what you think it does.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
You are a neighbour who is 100% going to war with poland and they're an unstoppable juggernaut. But ally them and this happens

This game sometimes.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
The most important part

quote:

modders familiar with map-making will easily be able to make more (without changing the checksum)
So good.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

When the ai accepts to transfer trade power makes no sense. Especially the "economic base compared to" modifier seems bugged. This screenshot was back when I had 4k ( 2.5k overseas) development and france 2k and there was no reason for me to get the full +20 from economics. Right now I've got 5k development and 90 development seems to be when economic acceptance starts to drop like a rock. Explains the weird "please give me trade power" message spam the ai sends you sometimes though. Are there files for AI acceptance or is it hardcoded? I can't find anything.

Trujillo posted:

Yep.

Has anyone else been seeing this happen?

Never seen it before the most recent beta patch but now I've seen a few different colonial navies paddling around the Mediterranean. I wonder if CN's are going to start sending their armies over too.

The colonial navies have be adventurous for a while now. At least since 1.12 but I'm pretty sure I first saw that in 1.11. Never seen them sending troops though.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

double nine posted:

I remember something about one of those influencing the others or manpower or something. I recall production being more potent than the others but I can't recall why.

Manpower used to be increased by goods produced, which is different from production efficiency and mostly comes from manufactories. But they did away with that a couple patches ago. At the start of the game you usually want to get +tax but as you build more manufactories production efficiency / trade efficiency becomes better.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Chickpea Roar posted:

It's only "permanent" if it was arranged diplomatically.

On that note, is there something screwed up with the calculations for accepting trade power transfer. Austria keeps bugging me about it, and I feel like there's some misunderstandings about our relationship. My army is twice as big as theirs and my force-limit almost four times.
If I hired a dip-rep advisor I could get them to transfer 15% trade to me.

The acceptance modifers for the trade power transfer are bugged. Or at least the economic difference modifier is. Depending on how much development you have this modifier is supposed to go from -60 when you have less to +20 when you have much more. However if you are MUCH smaller then the nation you want trade power from this modifier breaks and always outputs +20.

Example: 117 development teutons and 5000 development poland gives +20.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Apoffys posted:

That's probably what happened then, they got a good bit of land when I first created them. They haven't gotten any land in decades though, and all their stuff is cored now (it just took ages). Shouldn't they eventually snap out of it, since they must be at 0 overextension?

Speaking of, is there an easy way to see how much overextension someone has?
You can check the current unrest in a province. You get +1% unrest per 20% overextension. Also are you playing 1.12 and is your vassal holland?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

VDay posted:

So I think I'm going to go for A Sun God (own all of South America as Inca) next since I haven't played in the Americas in absolutely forever. Any general advice/tips/things to absolutely do/avoid doing? I've been reading up on the wiki about how the authority and religious reforms system works and think I get it, but would love to know if there's anything non-obvious about either system that I should keep an eye out for.

Reforming as inca is really annoying and not fun thanks to rebels in mountain provinces but it's bearable. The only thing you need to watch out for is the incan civil war that is triggered shortly after the first smallpox events. Just don't reform after getting your first smallpox event until it blows over (guess what I did :v:).

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Is there any estimate to how long you need to hold out to get the Peace of Westphalia event to fire? Wiki just says "a long time" and there's nothing in the event file that suggests a mean-time to fire.

You get the peace of westphalia when the league war ends without either side enforcing the religious superiority wargoal. If you mean the catholic auto-win if the protestants never start the war, that can fire after 30 years with a mtth of 5 years.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Isn't this already the case? I PU'd Bohemia as Austria, and when I went to war against Poland to liberate some imperial territory I realized they had claimed every single Polish province on their border.

Thats because you had poland as a rival. Your subjects will pretty much only fabricate claims on your rivals.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Gitro posted:

Yeah, owning Rome as a non-Catholic is a good time.

e: So how does this work? Is Russia just not Russian enough to keep their core on Moskva?

There is exactly 1 primary nation per culture and for russian that is muscovy, not russia. Yes it's dumb.

As Lucca I vassalized the pope and between religious ideas, italian NI's, 7 cardinals and 200 pope relations I had permanent +3 stability, all papal buffs going constantly and still had more then enough pope points left to spend. Vassalizing the pope can be really good as a catholic.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 4, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

TomEmanski posted:

In the process of westernizing as Inca in my "A Sun God" attempt. When westernization completes will I instantly lose my banked monarch points or will I have an opportunity to spend the surplus points with the discounted techs?

Once you complete your westernization if you have more then 999 monarch points they'll be grey and the next time the game checks how many monarch points you are supposed to have they'll be reduced down to 999. This will happen once you gain more at the start of the next month or if you spend any. This means that if you have 2k monarch points and you spend 500 on a tech you'll effectivly spend 1k instead (which is probably still cheaper then buying it before completing the westernization). Banking monarch points can be useful but only to an extend. You can also store dip monarch points by starting culture conversions the month before you finish your westernization and getting a refund once you're done with it.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Neither does the in game prediction. Just because it says that there'll be a succession war doesn't mean that it will happen. The latest patches improved on it but I would be very surprised if it was 100% accurate.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

gently caress me, that makes me far less inclined to make another attempt at 1001. Though part of me does kind of want to do a WC just for the novelty of doing it. Anyone have recommendations for doing such a thing as a still Muslim Ottomans? Mostly idea lines is what I'm curious about. I'm assuming I'd want both Religious and Expansion for the CBs, but I don't really want to pass on Humanist to go Religious. So tired of spamming missionaries.

There is an easier way to do 1001. The key is that any colonized province will never give overextension and the 1001 province achievement does not check for cores. As long as you never core any and never colonize yourself a colonial nation won't form, so just rob the colonizers. Back when I did the achievement 1/3 of my provinces weren't cored.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

How did AE change in the beta? I got 200 AE for winning the Hundred years war, which I don't remember happening before.

There used to be a hard limit on the AE you could get for enforcing a PU. That doesn't exit anymore. Enforcing a PU still generates the lowest AE (20% of annexation) but if the nation is big enough then that is still a lot.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 13, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Can someone link me to that crazy Hansa game that someone posted an album to a while back? The trade one, where they were making money hand over fist...

https://imgur.com/a/5QEby

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

genericnick posted:

One question about AE management: Is it cheaper to enforce a PU than normal vassalisation? Doing it to Provence in a BigBlueBlob attempt is a bad idea because of the 50y time out, but would it be worthwhile otherwise?

Enforcing a PU is always the cheapest AE wise. (It's even cheaper then reconquest) The only problem is that it is an all or nothing option. Which can lead to problems if you get >100 AE with the entirety of europe.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
1.13 proper is live now.

differences to beta posted:

# Diplomacy
- Negative opinion for breaking a royal marriage will now decay faster.

- Reduced AE from fabricating claims.
- Removed the scaling war exhaustion cost reduction and stability cost modifiers from seats in parliament.

# Natives
- Native assimilation now gives + to goods produced instead of -development cost (as the latter was useless in many provinces).

- Re-electing a ruler now gives -10 karma (down from -20) and electing a new ruler now gives +10.
- Reduced Karma loss for starting offensive wars from -25 to -10.
- Buddhists no longer pay any diplomatic cost for releasing nations, releasing vassals and returning cores.
- Administrative Efficiency now also lowers AE generated.
- At least 50 AE is now required for a country to join a coalition (up from 30)
- Taking provinces from a large country now reduces AE generated by up to 50% (uses the same scaling as increased AE for taking provinces as a large country, so a country taking provinces from an equal sized country gets neither a bonus nor a penalty regardless of size).
- Fixed AI always accepting peace for large enough sums of gold.
- Will now generally avoid taking provinces when doing so would result in an undefeatable coalition.

- Added an alert for having uncored provinces that you are currently able to core.
# War
- Attacker allies are no longer automatically set to be called if they would accept, instead you have to manually select them, so that allies aren't accidentally called to wars where you don't want them.

- Fixed major OOS caused by set controller commands being posted twice.
- Ideas that give +25% hostile core creation cost are now shown in province interface.
- Fixed a bug where besieging obsolete forts could cause you to lose army tradition.
- Fixed a bug where a war between two AIs would never end due to faulty peace treaty construction logic.
- Vassal Forcelimit Modifier now works correctly.
- Fixed a bug where reloading a save would result in trade missions giving a very high amount of naval tradition for a single month.
Shamelessly stolen from arumba on the paradox forums so no guarantees that this is 100% correct.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 27, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a way to know how much AE forcing a PU will grant?

0.1 base AE/development without factoring in the new 1.13 adjustments for country size. So it is lower for large countries, for example if you take 1444 size france as 1444 size england you get ~0.07 base AE/development.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

In other news: As Holland I just took a shitload of territory from Burgundy but stayed a subject, and now have 70 AE with all of the HRE! :suicide101:

Unless something changed you cannot be the target of a coalition as a subject. So feel free to get all the AE you want (until your PU breaks).

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Jastiger posted:

I don't know how to check that I JUST got Eastern militia which is an upgrade and all of my armor was that.

The moment you upgrade your troops their morale drops to 0. If you had just upgraded your troops in the same month as the battle happened then that is the reason why your morale was so low. You shouldn't fight within 3 months after upgrading your troops.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Sekenr posted:

What exactly is the benefit of getting your candidate on the throne of another country's elective monarchy?

25 Prestige, 10 Legitimacy, a very large slowly decaying relations boost and 2 years worth of monarch points based on the elected kings stats.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Espionage has new actions to raise liberty desire for a subject and to study technology which can give more monarch points. Also the hansa is gone and lübeck, bremen and hamburg are now independent at the start.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Obliterati posted:

Just noting that Paradox have started up their MP stream again, showing off new features for the coming expansion. All looking pretty good!

Plus lots of wars. Particularly chuffed to see an England that doesn't just give up on the Continent.

It helps that france got its entire starting army exiled on the british isles.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Try and check your Steam\userdata\<user id>\236850\remote\save games to see if your local copy of the steam cloud saves are still there.

e: If they are you can copy them to Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/save games/

Sorced fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 14, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
I simply waited until my colonial range was ~500, which is enough to directly jump from lübeck to cap verde to the cape and then across the indian ocean island to east asia. I didn't want to deal with a snake all the way to asia.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

I'll take your word for it, but I must be missing something funny then, because they stay there from like September to May in this crappy mountain province, supposedly taking 2 to 3% attrition the whole time, but actually reinforcing and getting bigger each month. :confused:

Wish I'd saved a save.

In your own territory you reinforce at a rate of 10%/month and even in enemy land you reinforce with 5%(+1% per leader maneuver). That they still reinforce if they take 3% attrition is normal.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

This is nice, but you know what would be even better? Game save folders.

If you are saving local you can just make a folder in the explorer and it works.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

If I go from Germany to Prussia, I assume I'll lose the cultural union. Hm. I really want to just get all of the bonuses of both :v:

More importantly you cannot form prussia as germany in the first place.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

LLSix posted:

I would love to have a 3/5/3 king. How do I accept the pretender's demands?

You don't. They need occupy your captial for 12 months or more then 50% of your country to enforce their demands.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Dang. Attrition reduction is capped. Went to a bit of trouble to get 100% reduction, but it appears that it won't actually go lower than 20% effective.

You used to be able to get to 100% and it was silly. You'd just amass a 500 infantry stack and could instantly wipe almost all armies because of the 10 to 1 rule. Then it got a sanity cap like so many other modifiers.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

double nine posted:

I'm wondering, is it possible to conquer Syria before Ottomans get a border with Mamluks, and would you be able to keep Ottomans as a buddy or would they instantly want that territory and un-ally & rival me?

The ottoman missions to conquer syria, egypt, etc. only fire if they have a land border with the mameluks. So if you prevent the mameluk-ottoman border they are never going to be bothered by you owning that land.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

TheFluff posted:

If I completely annex someone with colonial nations, do the overlordship transfer to me or do they become independent? Or do they get merged into my own colonial nations (if they exist)?

e: what about vassalizing and diploannexing them? Can vassals have subjects of their own?

full annexation -> you become overlord
vassalization -> colonies become free
diploannexation -> you become overlord

You used to be able to make vassals vassalize more vassals but I think they changed that in a recent patch. But vassals can spawn new colonial nations if they colonize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
No you are not misremembering gothic is part of the greek and not the german culture group.

• Locked thread