Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Trundel posted:

Running a Brunei game and was quick enough to get a colony next to a Portugal core on Sierra Leone. Karou just became a full province but the Westernization button is greyed out. Is the wiki right that the sum of my tech has to be 7 or less than the sum of their tech in order to Westernize?

Portugal's province is probably a trade company, which you can't westernize from.

e: beaten like the mamluks by the ottomans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Aaaaaag. So I have a 90-ship fleet and Spain has a 75-ship fleet in the Mediterranean. Their fleet is about 35/25/0/15 and mine is about 10/25/35/20. If I attack them, does the galley bonus make up for my lack of big ships? We're both DIP 21 and I don't know how exactly these calculations work. I've already screwed up one war by losing my fleet to Spain+Portugal and I don't want to do it again.

Their 25 heavies are worth way, way more than 35 galleys. Stay away

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

I imagine that you probably have Munster on the vassal feeding plan but I prefer my Munsterlands interpretation.

That's probably the German minor Münster instead of Irish minor Munster

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Zettace posted:

One issue with the new fort system is that any rebels popping up will basically automatically give you that negative event for them capturing a province (ie: separatism) since it only takes a couple of days for them to capture a non-fort province and it's much more likely for them to spawn on a non-fort province just due to probability unless you're spamming forts.

This only happens if the province isn't near a fort at all. Provinces within the zone of control of a fort get sieged but don't suffer those effects.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Koramei posted:

Normally I have a pretty low regard for spergy map change mods (modmakers on the whole tend to have extremely weird priorities) but holy poo poo, they actually got the continents on the right latitude? :eyepop:

also that they didn't just throw out all the wasteland like most map mods do

If a mod can change it I really don't understand why Paradox doesn't do it themselves, it's completely bewildering and actually does have a pretty serious impact on the game.

Whatever ridiculous projection they use probably just doesn't preserve latitude. It doesn't look great but I'm not sure why it would impact gameplay at all

And that map looks nice but it seems they also added a billion provinces for some reason

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Since you're in such a crappy position to fabricate claims on you may have to declare a few wars without a CB on the vulnerable targets in the Mediterranean. Byzantium, Urbino, Theodoro, or Ragusa are all good targets to snag early on as a continental base of power.

Not Urbino though because they're a vassal of the Papal State now from the start and they're huge and strong

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
If you annex them you inherit their colonial nations

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
It's based on the majority religion of all cores, not just the ones being released

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

ulmont posted:

It's still bullshit. If the Ottomans invade Spain to force the release of Granada it should be Muslim regardless.

If the Ottomans make Spain release Granada in 1800 why should it still be Muslim? The 'majority of cores' rule makes more sense than either the 'religion of released cores only' or 'immutable permanent religion decided in 1444' rules.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Whoever said that staying under a PU basically nullifies any AE is a genius. I managed to snag all of scandinavia sans sjaelland by 1490. The hardest part is trying to stay a subject under the PU when you're constantly clowning on Denmark. My first run had the king die ~5 years in, my successful run had him die an old man a few days after I declared my second "independence" war, and I was able to sneak back under the PU as long as I didn't declare independence in the peace deal.

There was also a opportunistic war waged on Denmark by Scotland which kept the danes occupied for the entirety of the ten year truce I had with them. They went bankrupt twice and it was a constant battle between Scotland, Denmark, and the hordes of rebels (who also fought themselves). They ended up taking orkney and giving me my cores back, only to rival me the instant I achieved actual independence.

You still get the AE but you can't be coalitioned, never mind the fact that no one is going to coalition you for taking lovely, poor Scandinavia anyway. If you actually break free in the first war you can do even more fun things like expand around the Baltic and join the HRE.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

VDay posted:

There's no way to "resurrect" nations that don't exist any more once their cores expire, is there (apart from just making client states)? Was looking forward to chopping up France into little pieces but a bunch of other nations' cores that they start with disappeared right before I got a chance to invade.

Most of the tiny French states disappear but Normandy, Guyenne, Toulouse, Brittany, Burgundy, and Provence don't so you can use those to absorb the rest of France

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah Granada can't do anything with garbage African land. They're also in the Spanish culture group. Just wait for Tlemcen or somebody to lose a war and then vassalize them. You should take all of Portugal and Granada for yourself since you get as a cultural union when you form Spain and Portugal's trade provinces are too much to give up.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is that the trick now? I have to claim all three provinces beforehand? I get the Conquest CB that lets me go to war without the stability hit, obviously, but I never thought anything different. Back when I got the game Castile automatically had a core on those parcels of land.

There's a mission you can take that gives you claims

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Or you could try putting your custom nation in the HRE

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Integrating Naxos and Corfu is stupid anyway because you have to eat the diplo rep penalty for 10 years to get one province apiece. Just release them when you have the prestige and take the provinces. Taking Plutocracy and Humanist is also a dumb idea when your new ideas will give you 3% missionary power and 3 tolerance true

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

He doesn't actually shift to Byzantium until the 1550s, and there's a ton of Greek development available. Add that Constantinople remains greek when the Ottos don't grab it and I don't see how it'll slow you down at all compared to annexing. It'll let you spend your admin points on other things, including cutting down the time you spend saving Admin points for culture shifting and moving your capital. It will also keep you from rocking a completely poo poo religious unity for ~50 or so years.

Edit: To be clear about culture shifting, it just needs to be the largest culture in your country as far as I know. I'm not sure you can find a culture besides like Austrian that'll match all the greek provinces in terms of development.

It's not about development, just number of provinces, and there are a bunch of Greek provinces

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

It used to be tax base, have they changed it to only be about # of provinces? Because that just makes it much easier.

I don't think it was ever tax base, it was province count even before the development change

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

It definitely used to be based on base tax of core provinces, and despite what the tooltip on the government window says, it's actually based on total development of core provinces, not just number of core provinces. Interestingly, this number also includes core provinces that you don't currently control. Don't believe me? Ottomans start with 293 development, plus 135 from uncontrolled cores. Their sole Serbian province has 10 development. 10 / (293 + 135) = 0.023

(It truncates to the nearest tenth of a percentage)

That's for cultural acceptance, culture shifting is based only on number of provinces

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I enforced a PU on Milan, and noticed that my monarch's stats went up. Then the PU broke when I was elected emperor, and upon restoring the union they went up again! Apparently PUing a republic counts as a re-election. Additionally it causes the union to break for more than just monarch death, maybe there's a way to exploit this

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I used to like Humanist but then I realized that having accepted cultures means you haven't blobbed hard enough

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Node posted:

If you blob out enormously and enact a policy that takes your accepted culture threshold to zero, do you get a screen full of CULTURE ACCEPTED messages? I dunno why but that makes me curious.

Yes you do

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure independence is 22%

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
It's a decision that you can take for some nice bonuses but there's no achievement.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The Hansa was one of the most fun games of EU4 I ever played, sad to see them go

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Average Bear posted:

You should never take religious or humanist as byz.

This isn't correct

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The Religious CB is insanely good given your location, extra missionary strength is good, extra tolerance true is good, stability cost is nice, and the events and policies are great. Religious is one of the better idea groups in the game, unless you're Sunni Najd or something

Anyway how long does patriarch authority take to max out this patch? I've been making Protestant into a poor man's Orthodox with the church aspects but the manpower bonus is really incredible

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

double nine posted:

so how do I stop my vassals from killing them?

Yeeeeaaah, I don't think this is going to work out...

You just need to let them occupy your capital, they don't need to occupy everything

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Shayu posted:

????????????

Ottomans are probably rivals of Spain's rivals so they flipped friendly

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The Baltic region is filled with worthless 2 province cultures, and most of your small cultures will be washed out no matter what by Prussian and Russian, so Humanist doesn't help with that. You're going to be converting everything for the achievement anyway so the religious unity and tolerance is also a waste. The lowered separatism is useful, however.

Religious gives you a great CB, extra conversion power, and a discipline policy with Quality if you plan on doing the 125% discipline Prussia achievement. The stability cost decrease isn't important for the TO and culture conversion cost is worthless.

Overall Religious is probably more useful but neither is especially important. Consider taking another military idea, Offensive or Quality.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
You can conquer most of Italy by 1550 with few problems, you have 60 years to eat a bunch of smallish countries in the north and France or Castile can help you take Naples from Aragon

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Even with some really bad luck I had secured everything except the Papal State, Milan, and Savoy at their starting date borders by 1550. It's totally doable but I had an early crisis where I was attacked by an ascendant Mamluks and a still dangerous Ottomans at the same time and France, Austria, and Poland all declined call to arms (by some miracle all 3 were bogged down in wars and left with <5% manpower and 1k+ ducat debt)

Even though I still managed to win that war (naval dominance is an incredible crutch to lean on when you're outnumbered in the med) it took the better part of 20 years and left me 2 dip techs behind after all the war exhaustion settled down.

Good thing dip tech doesn't matter at all!

@Interest/loans people: You take .1 inflation every time you take or extend a loan and inflation is bullshit so you should never ever take a loan

Pellisworth posted:

I guess my issue there is those are not "smallish" countries, Milan Florence Genoa and Savoy will all field 15-20 stacks and northern Italy is a mess of alliances. You also run into AE problems quickly expanding into all that rich same-culture and religion territory.

I mean it might be doable but I don't think it's really a reasonable goal for most playthroughs.

I do agree with the original author you want to conquer most of Italy through vassals if possible, remember you want to keep ~50% or more Orthodox provinces so you can easily convert. And you probably don't have much spare ADM points to core Italy anyway.

The AE is based on the culture of the stuff you take compared to the culture of the country receiving the AE, so the other Italians get really mad and will coalition you, but the southern Germans only get a little upset. Fortunately you will be fighting all of the Italians all the time so they won't have time to form a coalition. Unfortunately Austria is right there and likes to rival you so I find it ideal to take a vassal Styria out of them before getting really involved in Italy.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Extending loans is when you can't or won't pay the loan back so you take more interest and inflation to increase the duration. The AI won't even take loans from players anymore because it was too easy to abuse for a cb.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Dibujante posted:

It is highly inconsistent with European political thought at the time to not become a monarchy, though. It was common sense at the time that Republics could not scale up very well. This made the USA's decision to create a republic pretty quizzical - it was actually the largest Republican project in essentially ever (unless you count Rome, which wasn't founded as a large republic but whose collapse was the first in a long line of "told you so"s that skeptics used to declare the Republic to be suited only to small countries and edge cases).

This thread just went through a phase where every other post was about becoming merchant republic Byzantium. It's highly inconsistent when you can form the Mughal republic but republican government for Italy is special and impossible

Yashichi fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 27, 2015

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
A fun Austria trick is to marry Bohemia at the start and then immediately claim their throne when they get a Habsburg. You get a free PU over a decently sized elector, and there's no authority penalty attached to doing so anymore, just a -50 to other electors voting for you, and that's easily overcome.

About 10 years in you can do the same thing to Hungary when their event-spawned Habsburg comes out of regency.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

LLSix posted:

I've never been able to get the Bohemia PU.

Did you declare war right after claiming the throne? If they spawn a Habsburg ruler they don't immediately get an heir so you can claim and immediately declare

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know what they changed, but it seems way less common these days. A bit of a shame really.

It has a 500 month MTTH, which is lowered by having a leader ruler, leader heir, having no heir, and greatly by having negative warscore. Burgundy used to get slammed by France/Austria/coalition 10 years into every single game and it would fire. With their 3 PUs now they seem a lot stronger so they don't lose a bunch of consecutive wars and they don't try to annex 5 HRE provinces in 1445 and launch an eternal coalition.

If Burgundy has a leader ruler, no heir/heir leader and -75% warscore, the event has about a 5 year MTTH, and you can just camp them at 100% occupation until it fires. I've done it twice this patch, as Bohemia and Austria.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
+1 advisors is kind of useless now that you can buy away useless advisors.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Hungary got stronger because their provinces became richer, not because they lost their increased coring cost. Wallachia develops their provinces a lot because of their inability to expand anywhere so they become this "1200 admin for 3 provinces" nightmare that nobody wants to deal with.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Not to mention that cultural conversion is better than cultural acceptance for such a large empire.

This is 100% wrong and you should never be culture converting anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Tendronai posted:

You can strategically call someone to arms if you know that they're going to refuse to make them take the prestige hit and get the Dishonoured CB against them. If you're allied to Poland and want to break their PU or something then sure but it's not something that you should always be doing.

Sadly the dishonored call CB was removed but you can still make them lose prestige and free up a relation slot.

• Locked thread