Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Mans posted:

every big DLC turns the game into a comical disaster of bugs and glitches and i thank you all for buying it as soon as it was released and suffer through all those problems so they can be patched before i bother buying it.

i love you goons

I've played like 80 years out of a campaign already and haven't experienced any comically disastrous bugs, and have done similar things with every expansion except for conquest of paradise.

Maybe I'm just lucky or something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Traxis posted:

It has, but there is a bug with the workshop that won't let you enable it. Edit betterui2.0.mod in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod folder and add the line supported_version="1.12" to get it to work.

God bless you.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Well, huh.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Gorelab posted:

What's an interesting horde nation to play? I hear they did some mechanical changes on them and I'm interested in trying one.

Kazan has pretty decent ideas (if you westernize/reform pretty quickly, otherwise they aren't too great compared to generic horde NIs), Uzbek and Oirat are both decently big, Golden Horde is tricky but I'm pretty sure they're decently strong at the moment, same with Crimea. Challenge mode is Mongolia, definitely.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

SkySteak posted:

So I was looking at Common Sense and I was seeing a lot of reviews saying that either the AI hasn't adjusted to the new systems put in place, that coring/diplo annex costs are extremely high and that there are ton of bugs. Would it be better just to hold off on this until they patch it because it sounds like a bit of a broken mess right now.

I'm not sure about how the AI handles developing their provinces, but the AI seems fine in regards to forts (I mean, it's still not incredibly intelligent, but it's about the same level as its always been), the coring/annexation costs are higher, but whether or not they are prohibitively so is more of an opinion thing than anything else. There was a hotfix yesterday that fixed the worst of the release bugs.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Apoffys posted:

Is there any way to build forts for my vassals/colonial nations or to persuade them to build forts in specific places?

You can't do anything on land they already own. I've had success keeping provinces that I'd otherwise have given to my vassal, building forts on them, and then selling them to the vassal.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I didn't even finish the war. They attacked me while I was still fighting.

Naples may start the game with a truce with Aragon, and something tells me that there might be some case for added AE on truce-break the more -stab conditions you fill.

I haven't broken a truce in a long rear end time, though, so I very well could be wrong there.

80 AE is massive though, Sicily wouldn't even be close to that much, you could eat half of Austria and still be under 80.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

PleasingFungus posted:

huh, I really did not expect this to work

alley oop

How much easier is Albania, since they no longer start at war with the Ottomans?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

How much of a pain is it to annex Moldavia as PLC? I've been feeding them provinces in peace deals to let them waste the admin points (Wallachia, for instance), but now I'd like to gobble them up.

I believe revoking march status is, like, a -100 opinion modifier, as well as increasing their liberty desire significantly. I'm not sure about the liberty desire thing, though. Either way it's a lot of years of waiting for them to not hate your guts.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Koramei posted:

New dev diary

it's just ideas this time, but look, finally Yarkand :banjo:

beta drops next week

Ideas for French minors! Finally I can play France without sacrificing my honour as a human being.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Baron Porkface posted:

Still no Tabarestan? Not even cultural group ideas?

Countries with cheevos should get NIs. :drat:

Tabarestan got Persian ideas in the CS patch itself.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Frontspac posted:

It's almost certainly excessively ambitious for glorified flavour, but it would be cool if rump and exile nations could tag switch for situations like that. You could give them claims/cores/cbs to restore their former territory and switch back.

It is sorta jarring when Great Britain is at war with a chain of Caribbean Islands called "England". That or when Georgia spends most of a campaign as an OPM in Theodoro, with unaccepted Gothic culture and heathen Sunni religion. I'd mod a save-file or something except I'm a giant nerd and I like to play on Iron Man.

I've also been seeing a lot of sad sack Muscovys lately. Watching them lose over and over has inspired me to try another Russia game, which I haven't done since like 1.6. It's hilarious watching what happens in the Russian power vacuum. Still, while it's good to see more variation in outcomes Russia should probably form at least a small majority of the time. Also a big strong Russia makes for a good end-game boss if France/Ottomans/HRE haven't proven sufficient on their own.

My Lucca game ended with Tver forming Russia and devouring Finland. They probably had a better game as an AI opm then I did.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Baronjutter posted:

I just got in a massive war with half the HRE and mega-bohemia. We were both down to 0 manpower desperately buying mercs and using our little stacks of 50-person armies to desperately get enough score to call the thing. I like to have short overwhelming victories, this was bad. I really felt bad that about 500k went to their deaths so in the end my march could get a single new province.

The AI should really though know about this. I peaced out but I have 0 manpower and need 58k just to rebuild my armies and my max manpower is about 120k. Everyone who hates me or wants a piece of me should know this is their chance, to hit me while I have no manpower.

If they hate you enough 0 manpower is one of the bigger AI triggers to go gently caress someone up. They're just reluctant to do so if you have any big allies, or are significantly large on your own.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Pellisworth posted:

Also consider that you can hire mercs in occupied enemy provinces, meaning you can hire them quickly and on the front lines. Mercs cost 150% of normal to recruit and 250% in maintenance, so it can often be desirable to consolidate merc units and just hire fresh ones in occupied territory where they can quickly reinforce. Keeping them around as a standing force or paying to reinforce damaged merc units can get really expensive.

If you're going to do this - make sure to send your mercenaries in before your regulars, unless they'll get wiped before the other units turn up, maximizing their losses while minimizing the hit to your manpower. You can essentially do this with allied armies if you're okay with tediously checking and unchecking the "attach" box for your stacks.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Odobenidae posted:

After playing with the changes a bit I can really appreciate this:

Some very small nations that tend not to expand much get really developed if they survive for a long time. It's ~1685 and the best province in the world right now looks like Wallachia's 29 basetax Tirgoviste. Along with that, the entire world has forgotten Yemen as they've been exiled to Socotra, which is 17/4/18.

:psyduck:

In the Ternate game I'm playing I turned my back on OPM Malacca for like a decade and when I clicked on their province it was bigger than London + Paris combined.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Allyn posted:

This was a while ago, but: if you're in a war either with or against the emperor, you can freely march through any province in the HRE. (Even ones held by countries not in the HRE.)

That feature in particular has been in the game for a LONG time, more recently though military access is shared through every belligerent in a war. So if France gets access from, like, Aragon to go fight Castile, everyone in that war has access through Aragon without having to ask.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Chickpea Roar posted:

I'm in the exact same situation. Every religious center is working on my provinces, constantly flipping one of them. I've converted Milan back to Catholicism twice now and I even lost the effects of the counter-reformation a couple of years ago, but the heretics obviously didn't get the memo. :dawkins101:
Great Britain, France, Spain, Austria, Poland and Lithuania on the other hand have been completely untouched by the reformation. Supposedly they will stop working around 1650, but I don't understand why my provinces are so much more popular amongst the reformers compared to the much closer provinces of Austria/France/Poland.

The answer is clear, conquer the religious center and counter-convert it. It's the duty of any true catholic.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

cheesetriangles posted:

EU4 thread I need advice. What is the best way to become Netherlands in this new patch version?

Start as any of the Dutch Minors that Burgundy has a PU with in 1444, get your independence supported by everyone in the entire world because every Great Power hates the poo poo out of Burgundy.

Seriously, it's a free alliance with France/Austria most games.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Randarkman posted:

What happens if I annex the Emperor? Can I annex the Emperor?

Someone else gets insta-elected, I believe. If the empire is hereditary then you might become emperor? Not sure if that's annexation or vassalization or both.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Allyn posted:

Is this still true? There was a change in either 1.12 or one of the 1.13 betas talking about a change to manpower and stackwipes; has anyone checked how it works now?

I believe that the change was that there used to be weird behaviour with regiments that had little to no men in them inexplicably giving the stackwiped country more manpower than they were 'supposed' to get.

1.13 patch notes posted:

- Fixed manpower being gained inversely on stackwipe (i.e. a regiment with 0 men would give the most MP back to country)

I might be misinterpreting that, though.

EDIT: Upon investigating, yes, you still get 50% of the manpower back from stackwipes.

firestruck fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 11, 2015

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Ghetto Prince posted:

Is there any way to alter technology levels in the save file? All im seeing is stuff like cores , technology group and monarch ability scores.

I want to just set myself up as a 32 technology one province minor in 1444 and just gently caress up the entire map.

Type tech 30 in console.

Baronjutter posted:

you could just cheat your self the monarch points to keep buying more and more ridicuously expensive tech levels.

The console doesn't let you exceed your maximum monarch point pool.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

MrBling posted:

Just to make sure that I'm not missing anything, forming Malaya doesn't give you new ideas right? The decisions doesn't say anything about getting new ideas/traditions.

Because the Kutai ideas are quite a lot better than the generic Malaya ones I think.

You keep your ideas, yes.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Tahirovic posted:

Chaining most of the boring history railroading to Lucky Nations and making Lucky Nations optional for achievements would make this game a lot more fun. I personally prefer seeing all those weird things like Tunisian Iceland or Hanseatic Socotra.

Lucky nations exist to balance out the inherent advantage a sentient player has over a computer game AI. If you want to play with weird stuff happening, destroy all lucky nations or don't play on ironman and turn it off.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Democrazy posted:

I'm attempting to use the CK2-EU4 converter and I can't seem to locate my converted save anywhere on EU4. I converted from CK2 twice without any issue, but when I load up EU4 I can't actually find the save to load. Is it usually in the saved games or in the new games section? Is there any trick to this or is it not loading?

Also, I'm converting from vanilla CK 2.4.1 to EU4 1.12.2.0 (all major expansions except Common Sense). How hosed is this save going to be? 'is it going to work at all?

When you convert a game I believe it shows up in the launcher as a "mod" instead of in the game as a save.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

- Forts are now expensive, too expensive to build in every province. But they have an area of influence extending to all adjacent provinces, automatically recapturing adjacent provinces if they are occupied by an enemy army. Unfortified provinces take only a month to capture (but will be quickly flipped back if they're by a fortress.)
- A fort's area of influence also prevents enemy troops from walking past the fortress without first capturing it. The ZoC rules are a little abstruse but this means you can actually fortify borders, making wars take longer (no more marching right to the capital) and giving defeated troops a chance at falling back safely.
- You now need 3 times the number of garrison troops to siege a fortress. The siege system is otherwise similar to before Common Sense, I think.
- Forts can be mothballed. This turns them off and depletes the garrison entirely, and cost only half maintainance. But if you do pay full maintenance for current-tech forts you'll get a little bonus to army tradition.
- Capitals get a free mini-fort with no area of influence and 1000 mans.

I think that's most of it? It makes sense during play for the most part.

You can no longer assault forts that don't have the "walls breached" modifier, and that modifier has three different stages to it.

Also maybe I'm insane but it's far more punishing to be blockading a coastal fort, but that might just be an extension of forts being much more difficult to take rather than an explicit change.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
Quantity is exceptionally good if you need to be punching above your military weight classes - i.e. a small nation consolidating power wherever. It helps when you don't have a lot of manpower to work with and need to be fighting wars as constantly as possible.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

MikeC posted:

so basically in this version of EU, MP is the only means to improve tech and there seems to be no way to increase MP generation other than advisors? At what point should MP be used for anything other than tech?

when you are ahead on tech or the tech you could buy isn't as useful as an idea/decision/general/coring.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Transmetropolitan posted:

I suppose that Sweden is much better if it stays up as such and doesn't form Scandinavia, yes?

You keep your ideas, so it's practically cosmetic. I guess, though, you might not get some of the better bonuses from Swedish events, but I don't know how many of them are permanent or just temporary bonuses.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
Ternate/Tidore are probably the easiest OPMs in the game, you fight a couple of "tough" fights in southeast asia and then you're free to colonize the entire world with your super early colonist and the license to print ducats the spice island modifier gives you.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

StashAugustine posted:

What's a interesting small nation to play in the HRE?

Saxony or Hesse. If things start getting hard as Saxony you can always fall back and form Prussia then steamroll the rest of the game.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as Russia, it's about 1700 and some revolutionary rebels just popped up in Danzig and Riga. Is it realistic to hope that they will work their way to Moscow and siege it down so I can become a republic? Would it help if I mothballed all of the forts between the Baltic and Moscow?

honestly think that if you get hit with the revolutionary disaster you should be able to immediately concede to them. the whole revolution target thing is a very cool and fun mechanic to play, but you have to really tediously let rebels take over your country to actually experience it.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

PittTheElder posted:

If one of them is the incumbent, they retain the title. If not, nobody knows.

Sweden wins by default.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

MrBling posted:

ddrjake is streaming a fairly massive subscriber multiplayer game right now, they just started.

https://www.twitch.tv/ddrjake

not even a year into the game and more than half the players are at war.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Poland is fighting with me against Denmark in Sweden's conquest war. If I declare war now, will Poland be able to join this war against the Hansa if the war against Denmark ends?

As long as the war you're in with Poland lasts longer than six months, they won't be able to be called in against you.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

LLSix posted:

Do the lucky nation bonuses really transfer to a new nation if the original country bites it?

yes.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Another Person posted:

Nah. Being delayed by 50 years ingame and spending 2000 admin on nothing because you refuse to let go of a grudge is not being good. He was just having fun, but if he was to make the good call there he would have peaced out as soon as Genoa did, turned on Golden Horde, eaten all their land, took Crimea, maybe allied Pol-Lith, and then went back to the Ottomans in 20 years. All while gaining more tech. In this game he was not really gaming the rebels so much as they were gaming him.

Playing optimally in EUIV, I've found, is a whole lot of not very much fun. Big, broad goals and little rules usually makes the game what it is, instead of just mindlessly devouring smaller states until you're unstoppably strong. In any case I think DDRJake is a good player that plays by his own set of rules because, after playing the game as long as he has (as well as EUIV literally being his day job) min-maxing has maybe lost its appeal. His goal that game was to fight the Ottomans as tiny little Aq Qoyunlu, and that's what he did.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
I think rivals could be a lot less random and dumb, but it feels like of all the fancy new diplomacy stuff rivalries were sort of untouched, which makes for a bunch of weird interactions. The AI should be discincentivized to rival someone based on how much trust they have with said person, which is then modified by stuff like ruler-type, allied rivals, territory conflict, et cetera.

Similarly having no available rivals (because of being too powerful) should probably give ticking power projection OR prevent it from decreasing until you can actually rival someone else. Maybe some positive event saying you've made it big in X region, so now you're a local big-shot which is a boost to PP.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

So has anyone else found it impossible to take certain HRE provinces? In a current game with burgundy, let all me ae slide to 0. Took friesland which the owner had improved the hell out of. Instant 70 ae with entire hre. Not sure of a way around this?

Free cities (which Friesland either is or requests to be, can't remember off the top of my head) have a HUGE annexation cost, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Ithle01 posted:

You're going to end up having to conquer the entire new world anyway so get started on that about as soon as you can. And by the way, your colonial nations will have constant rebels so you're going to have to micromanage that constantly - have fun! (you won't have fun. Except for Alaska and Australia all of mine had Internal Conflicts disaster and were loaded with rebels for decades because tribal colonial nations have horrible unrest as you'll discover)

Is this specific to colonial nations of hordes? What about them makes them full of rebels like that?

• Locked thread