Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tercio posted:

Looks like the Johan symbiote found a new host body.

To be fair, the dude is really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There are two strats that work with Byz most of the time.

The easiest is
1.build all the galleys you can until you are at least a bit stronger than half of the Otto's navy.
2. Wait for the Ottos to go to war, where they will split their navy to blockade.
3. Declare war and pounce on whichever navy you think best.
4. Siege and capture all the balkans, waiting them out until you get the maximum territory.
5. Repeat until all the Balkans are yours.

The second strategy that is a bit harder is.

1. Hire a diplomat
2. Increase your relationship with Austria and ally with them.
3. Wait until they trust you enough to go to war with the Ottos.
4. Let the Austrians fight the ottos troops.
5. Siege while they slug it out.

Both strats rely on the same basic principle, never ever engage the ottos in land combat. Even if you win it will hurt, and hurt bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Ottos build a poo poo ton of ships, so good luck with that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mygna posted:

The Ottos were fielding at least 40 galleys five years into the game in all of my attempts, and Tunis would bring another twenty out to play. Meanwhile, your forcelimits are sitting at 18, and you are barely making a profit even without going over them :shrug:

That is actually manageable, as when the ottos go to war they divide their fleet in half, no matter who they are fighting. So if you can beat twenty you can basically keep them in harbor for the rest of the war.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah naval blockade hasn't been an effective strategy in a while

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Jeez, straits are completely useless now. If you can control both provinces connected to the strait you don't need it blocked anyways. There's better ways to nerf byzantium than this.

It's not even a good nerf as that stray was basically useless anyway,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

...does that last guy have an alias?

The more important question is, what is it? It is tail something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Man I have been trying to get a Mongol game but it is rather difficult, or I am impatient either or.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

VDay posted:

Oh ok so you literally just decided to make some poo poo up just to complain then, got it.

We have known that since before release tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

His complaints are all second hand and speculation, which is basically making poo poo up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nah your just whiny.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

My complaints are all firsthand, and I think his assessment is mostly accurate.

It's not a very good expansion.

Well you are just wrong, but not lying!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Has that ever been confirmed? It doesn't sound right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The clergy aren't a single entity, more than likely it's just clergy who aren't supporters of the current pope.

The real reason is who cares tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah if you reform a system I doubt you would keep a gamey exploit, let alone expand it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Plus if you have conversion/tolerance national ideas makes it work just like humanism, with a couple months needed to convert.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That's weird as when I fight naval battles they are usually decisive. One battle is all it takes to decide controls the seas for all the war.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the ZOCs are still kinda weird. Especially how shattered enemy armies can retreat right past forts you control, but only sometimes apparently?

Yeah but your armies can't, I lost so many men in southern Italy because of that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A Frenchman does seem appropriate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sperglord Firecock posted:

What did you do?

How did you do this?

Ally Poland and Hungary (if they aren't rivaled) and either wait for the ottos to attack or build up enough favors to call them in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Maybe your wrong tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That's dumb tho because Poland doesn't border the ottos.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Giving players any control over generals is a terrible, terrible idea. The system works fine as is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Really all the system you wanted does is make the game easier. Which the game doesn't really need that. It's already not a difficult game. Increasing the cost just isn't enough of a counterbalance.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mans posted:

the objective of game mechanics are to introduce logical and meaningful decisions to gameplay to make it a better game to play. Paradox isn't a company that cathers to hardcore grognards who aren't satisifed until you need to dig your own potatoes one by one to supply your army during a campaign.

EU4 is really fuckin' inacessible at the moment for someone with no previous EU experience.
The system as described does not add any meaningful decisions, just a right and wrong binary. Making the game easier. Fun is what the game should strive for, this fails that.

Also EU4 is no more inexcessible than three was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Prester John isn't medium easy. Also to this point no mechanics have been added that make the game harder that I know of.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

This would be a nice change.

edit: Its funny because that would be the perfect way to help reign growing players (and AI) in - have external threats band together in defensive alliances that are less game breaking than coalitions. As Austria I should not need a ton of AE from the Ottomans to want to join a group of like-minded states that want to keep them hemmed in.

Players will either complain because it's not effective and makes the game tedious, or complain it's to effective and gets in the way of their map painting simulator.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But....but the cheevos. :ohdear:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Regencies are fine tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rakthar posted:

What do you like about them?

I don't like them, I just don't dislike them. They honestly don't come up enough to care.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I hope they never "fix" regencies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't give one solitary gently caress about cheevos so meh.

Also regencies have never effected my choice of gov type, as I play monarchies exclusively.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

You have a very good point, and I am self aware enough to know that I have been a little bitchy lately. I was super pissed when a mechanic I was unfamiliar with derailed an achievement run I was doing (supporting a vassal's independence does not generate a Call To Arms - you simply end up in the war. It was a bad way to learn, I reacted poorly, and I posted about it)

I am doing Ironman because for the longest time I did exactly what you are saying - just savescum. But then it turned into savescumming often or using the console to fix it. Doing this was making the game less fun for me though because it meant nothing was a challenge and even doing one savescum or fixing one minor bug or mistake with the console made me feel deflated and I ended up quitting that game. Since just before Cossacks I realized the EU4 is in a really awesome spot right now. So many mechanics/features/functionalities are just so great and make the game so much fun. Since savescumming was hurting my enjoyment of the game I started playing Ironman so I could try to get some of these achievements. Playing Ironman has made me so much better at the game and I am enjoying it a ton. The main exception here is Monarchies being awful to play, which has come up often since....so many countries you play as are Monarchies.

You do have a point, though, and I will try to post less complainy stuff. Seriously though, gently caress Regencies/Monarchies.

edit: and yeah now Janissary Decadence is going to fire because there is no way I can conceive of to keep my AT above 70%, and I dont have a Monarch so I do not have a Monarch skill above 5 :derp: So yeah one Regency is going to derail this whole game.

Thank you for your excellent and insightful posts!

Someone has to act as a counterbalance to yours.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Really they should add more to regencies. Your king gets sick? gently caress you regency till he recovers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yashichi posted:

I hope you never "post" again. But someday you will, and I am confident regencies will be changed as well.

Nope. Luckily most things people suggest aren't going to be implemented because they are terrible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yashichi posted:

I didn't even suggest a change! You're in such a rush to fill the thread with useless contrarian bullshit you didn't even bother to comprehend what you read. Many mechanics in the game have changed for the better since release and I'm sure Paradox will do something interesting with regencies eventually.

What are you talking about. I never said you did. I wasn't the one in a rush to post it seems.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I am not being contrarian, have ever considered you may be wrong?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I have no issues with anyone posting here and am just doing the same thing you are so i don't see your issue. I don't really care if you all like or disike a mechanic it's not a popularity contest. Besides the thread is fine as long as it's not discussing changing game mechanics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh you don't know what contrarian means, that makes a lot more sense. Also no one has constructively posted about regencies. It's repeating "I don't like it" over and over again. Realistically you can't fix regencies without adding a regent character which goes completely against the design of EU4 as its not a character based game like CK2. This problem arises out of any attempt to fix this problem outside of cutting it completely.

That is why it won't change there is no good way of fixing it without neutering it to the point of pointlessness. Like a lot of thoughts posted here on game mechanics it's half baked at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

I think a lot of good and constructive ideas have come up on the topic

1) Aristocratic ideas mitigating the penalties of regencies
2) Different government types of monarchies with different succession mechanics (like Polish elective monarchy or the new-ish theocracy design)
3) More events or missions that can improve the stats of long-reigning monarchs or their heirs

I've heard these and more ideas in the thread that are all some degree of workable and would do something to stop monarchies from being the most stale and least powerful government types in the game despite being the most stable and dominant government type of the era the game takes place in.

1. You can't mitigate the penalties as the issue most take is the no war thing which is pretty binary.
2.this doesn't really do anything besides effectively eliminating regencies in an over complicated way.
3.this doesn't have much to do with regencies.

• Locked thread