Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Easier to take, harder to core, from my understandings.

Also anyone recommend a good non-euro country to play? I've never played outside of europe. I think I tried once as Japan, looked at the Daimo system, got confused, and went back to europe. Is south america fun now with el dorado ? How is China and asia now?
Tunisia, Oman, Ethiopia, Mali, Timurids, Vijayanagar, Dai Viet and Brunei own, try them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every big DLC turns the game into a comical disaster of bugs and glitches and i thank you all for buying it as soon as it was released and suffer through all those problems so they can be patched before i bother buying it.

i love you goons

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stevefin posted:

I am finding the increased coring costs, harsh, but not overall game braking

This is the current tech map mode of my game about 85 years in, and despite all those core cost, annex costs, and even development costs I am still very well tech wise and leaps ahead of most of my border nations.

It has come down nothing much has changed since the AI also has these costs to deal with, that even if you are -5 behind time, the AI is probably even worse off :v:
So they decided that the best way to prevent the player from doing world conquests (kinda weird how the EU devs are so autistic about fighting every mechanic people use to do them since 99.9% of the playerbase doesn't give a poo poo about it) was by making basic game mechanics expensive as gently caress monarch-points wise, meaning the AI who already struggled super hard at keeping up tech wise will now an even bigger push-over (since not only will it expand at a slower pace but it will also level up at a slower rate).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wiz posted:

Nah it's literally found one bug of modest seriousness = unplayable mess of bugs. Some posters are highly invested in being hysterical about our releases.

Wiz posted:

Nope, you're just really dumb.

Wiz posted:

No, that one is obviously serious. It's just that there are a few posters (you know who you are) who sit and wait after every release until someonbe posts a bug (any bug) and then proclaim the game an unplayable mess. It's more cute than anything.

20000 people playing for an hour on 20000 hardware setups will ALWAYS find some serious issues we've missed. We could do QA for a year and this would still happen, and while we will obviously patch these issues they are only affecting a very small number of players.

Wiz posted:

My policy is to try and be reasonable with anyone who offers genuine criticism but if you want to be a dumb babby it's not my job to coddle you.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i really appreciate this picture

Afonso V be with you

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silver Alicorn posted:

FWIW it took me a long time to internalize that there's only one L in Castile.

which is funny because Castilla has two lls

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you removed the university that Portugal had?

bullshit, i demand a refund!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
600 admin points to core a province is incredibly stupid.

I get it that some EU devs get salty with WCs, but jesus.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gfanikf posted:

What is currently the best country and time period to get used to the game mechanics with (ie like Ireland in CK2)?

Nothing happens to Portugal directly so you can do as many mistakes as you like.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poil posted:

Is there a point in letting natives live when you colonize? The minuscule bonus to development doesn't seem worth it at all. From what I've gathered, if you're western the overseas penalty makes it pointless to waste any points and if you're playing in, say, Asia your lovely tech group makes development too expensive anyway?

not being a monster basically.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

Except the games succession system is really underwhelming (using nice language because Wiz and Johan read this thread). It is super gamey to use the whole "a general is more likely to die" mechanics to try to kill a bad monarch and it is dumb that I cant turn a good ruler into a general because that means an RNG not related to combat he is more likely to die. I should be able to un-make him a general if he is more likely to die if made a general and staying a general means an RNG is chasing him. Also Kings and Generals were often well attended to in an army camp and on a battlefield - they rarely had to deal with supply shortages, though being in a military camp does expose them to disease. But then how many kings have we heard about dying of disease while on campaign compared to how many kings went on campaign in the time period?

There should also be ways to get better generals than grinding AT (Basing your whole idea lines on it and constantly being at war) or using 500 mil points to recruit 10 generals in the hopes one of them isnt total poo poo.

There should be a way to make sure every monarch you get isnt 0/1/0 every-other ruler. Your entire game is based around Monarch Points and as a monarchy (like 75% of the countries in the historical game) you have exactly zero ways to cultivate a better ruler.

Yeah it's kinda silly how Kings become generalissimos when in reality if they wanted to lead an army personally they'd leave their fancy castle, point the finger somewhere inside a decent tent, sometimes they'd go ride into battle covered in heavily armored knights intent on making sure he lives and then he'd go right back to the fancy palace.

Here he just becomes one with the army, living in barracks for the rest of his life.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I maybe screwed up by connecting Austria to Russia? Because of that I can't do super-cheap culture conversions in Asia due to the "distant overseas" modifier. I wanted to gain a ton of IA by adding all of Russia to the Empire but I guess that can wait while I convert all of the steppes to Austrian culture. This game makes me a monster!

no offense good for you for making a PU with Russia and uniting both crowns and all but jesus those borders are ugly :psyduck:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So it seems like Economy and Administrative have entered the "why didn't you unlock this" metagame that Quantity previous had.

At least from personal experience it seems that the bonuses of all three put together let you play on a completely different level from anyone else.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks, I probably won't take quantity though as the flavour text sounds quite nasty.
The Netherlands based their colonial ventures on private enterprises who made joint ventures torwards foreign lands.

Quantity represents the eager investors who want to control northern Brazil but just don't want to play that much for the troops.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

I feel like the ideas are really well balanced in CS and it just depends on how you play. Admin, Econ, Diplomatic, Influence, Religious, and Humanist are all pretty great and have their uses depending on what region you're in and how you want to expand. Economic is the most universally good one, but even it might not be as good as diplomatic or influence or religious early on depending on where you are. This is my Poland->Commonwealth game where I went Influence->Quality->Humanist for example, and while I definitely wish I had the coring cost reduction from admin when I had to core a couple of 200-250 point provinces, it's still going fine and Influence has been more than worth it.

(1602)
Luneburg, Ragusa, and Circassia are my vassals. The HRE in particular has been super easy to dismantle (once Austria stopped being emperor) because you can just declare war on an OPM and pull in his 4-5 allies, letting you feed your vassals like half a dozen provinces per war. On the flip side, if I had taken Admin I probably would've focused more on whittling Austria and the Ottomans down and taking bites out of their territory.

Overall I'm really liking the ideas in CS, even if some still seem kind of weak (just change Intrigue into something else entirely already). It feels like you can really pick a playstyle and then pick ideas to suit it, and it's pretty hard to really screw up your idea "build order" as long as you're not being completely nonsensical about what you're taking.

I'm still very unexperienced with this new patch. Jesus it's like a whole new game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And it was less due to combat and due to being lost and trying to go all the way around scotland without supplies

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

The coalition mapmode really sucks because people at -0 and people at -50 AE are almost the same color, until they actually join a coalition, then they light up. It should color nations yellow or something when they hit -30 AE.

and the autonomy rating is basically everything green unless it's like 40% or something.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

Dude if you want to play the Safavids so bad why don't you just start in like 1450 instead of 1444?

there's starts other than 1444?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zettace posted:

When someone embargoes you and then you beat them down in a trade war does that remove the embargo?

you don't need a trade war. Winning any kind of war against a nation that embargoes you will lift it for the duration of the truce.

if you really want to rub salt on the wounds force them to give you trade power.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thunder Moose posted:

Today I decided to try something for fun and instead of breaking up the Ottomans as the HRE - I gave the Ottomans territories equal to a 2000% win score for them, to see what would happen.

Worth it.

fuckin savage

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I may or may not have forgotten to set the mean time to happen for my population growth event back to its proper value after initially setting it to 1 month to make sure it worked.

Berry is a shithole apparently

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

People like to simply stick to X/4/X armies and 'get discipline over everything' but it's simply not true that those are always the most effective strategy in every case. You can do silly stuff like stack the more plentiful bonuses to morale over discipline to the point where your troops have double or triple the average war enemy and the battle is pretty much over before it starts.

higher morale means your troops fight longer but not better so you're basically just prolonging the beating the enemy will give you.

high moral needs more soldiers and more manpower to make up for the robocops discipline gives you.

which is why quantity is good.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Your heirs are taking part in dueling tournaments, and end up killing each other in the final due to being equally great fighters.

+5 army tradition

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paradoxish posted:

I'm gonna apologize in advance if this comes up constantly, but is Common Sense worth it? Its reviews are by far the most negative out of any of the EU4 DLC, but I can't really get a sense of what's wrong with it. I haven't started up a game of EU4 in like five months so I'm just wondering if I should grab it before diving back in.

it's one of those DLCs like Art of War, where you really can't play without it after trying it out in MP.

In that sense i hate it because i'm poor :(

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pls don't conquer portugal as Castille tia

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i use coexistence because i'm not a monster hth

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tahirovic posted:

I just lost a 200 year alliance with France because they got a -200 opinion modifier with me for pirating.... now I have to fight Spain/Ottomans/Hungary on my own

serves you right, buy paradox games, they're well worth the cost.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

This game really makes me wish I had taken some of those European history classes they offered in high school and college.

I had a massive MP political dispute with a friend playing as Russia because he wanted Crimea ASAP because "it was loving Russian not Turkish wtf" and it took way to long to convince him that Russia didn't control all of Russia in 1500 and that yes, the turks did in fact liked the crimean area a lot.

He's in political science and didn't know this.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I barely played since Common Sense came out. How many game changing updates have happened since then?

I'm honestly afraid of picking this up again for a MP campaign and being absolutely smashed by my friends :ohdear:

Dibujante posted:

They kicked off a wave of cavalry obsolescence that would also bring down the feared Ottoman cavalry during the French Revolution. They were considered the best in the world for about as long as it took them to run into Napoleon.

Among other things going on here is the sneaky little fact that infantry have always been superior to cavalry, but until that point, most infantry armies had lacked the professionalism to maintain cohesion in a manner that would allow them to overcome cavalry. European infantry professionalism was extremely effective against the "fearsome" and cavalry-centric armies they fought against in these cases.

The same cavalry you accuse of becoming obsolete went on to be a respectable cavalry force in the Napoleonic Army, alongside Polish cavalry whose combat tactics had barely changed in hundreds of years :v:

Cavalry gives a military force exelent mobility and a tremendous offensive capability. Training people to hold their ground against a charging cavalry force is much harder than you think. Horses are loving scary when they're mad and charging at you.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dibujante posted:

Training people to hold their ground is incredibly hard, which is why cavalry survived as an institution for so long. But this was definitely the beginning of the end. The square formation caused the cavalry calculus to go from (almost) always being a good choice to being a situational choice. It would still be situationally valuable until the Crimean War, when it would become clear that increased infantry firepower would generally reduce the use of cavalry to screening or reconnaissance. Cavalry played almost no shock role in the American Civil War, which foreshadowed the First World War. The fact that any cavalry were present in the First World War was only evidence that military leaders in Europe discounted the American experience, rather than that cavalry still had legs (hyuk).

In game terms, there probably should not be an upper limit on how many cavalry you want in your army. You basically want as many cavalry as you can possibly afford until three things happen:
  • Muskets become sufficiently sophisticated to fire quickly and accurately.
  • Underslung bayonets are invented.
  • Military discipline enables the infantry square.

Yes but those were all cases of 19th century warfare. Literally none of them other than the very last few years see that point in history.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
these new mechanics sound like toilet sounds.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
upgrade the cost to 75 MP and let you choose between three generals and lock the fire pips until you actually unlock units with fire pips.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Really all the system you wanted does is make the game easier. Which the game doesn't really need that. It's already not a difficult game. Increasing the cost just isn't enough of a counterbalance.

the objective of game mechanics are to introduce logical and meaningful decisions to gameplay to make it a better game to play. Paradox isn't a company that cathers to hardcore grognards who aren't satisifed until you need to dig your own potatoes one by one to supply your army during a campaign.

EU4 is really fuckin' inacessible at the moment for someone with no previous EU experience.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any DLC packs i can buy because i only own Res Publica Art of War and Wealth of Nations and i'd really like to update my EU4 DLC collection but i don't want to spend as much money as those crazy people who spend hundreds in the train simulator game :negative:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I wonder if any of it works from a gameplay perspective? I mean I find MEIOU & Taxes unplayable because of the flags alone, but in theory...

in EUIII it made the game unbearable.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can't you decrease autonomy until it rebels and then just let it ferment until it breaks off?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't really understand why nerds have such a boner for Prussia.

they beat the Austrians a few times in the 19ths, what an amazing feat, give them robocop armies in the 1600s!!!

meanwhile the Otomans are still a regular boring monarchy

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
probably a silly question but if i buy a DLC like cossacks do i also need to buy the Cossacks content pack or is that just a model DLC for people who don't want the DLC mechanics themselves?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes but does that comestic stuff come with the DLC too or do i need to buy the DLC and the dlc cosmetic stuff too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so if i want to take advantage of the 66% discount on EU DLC to grab all the gameplay DLC's i haven't got yet plus just one comestic DLC i have to fork over 40 euros.

why do you hate my wallet paradox

• Locked thread