Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

No we love your wallet :homebrew:

Just buy for the features that you want instead of trying to catch up on 3 years development.

it's too late now, i bought it all anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

Colonial nations are in vanilla now, same as protectorates and other features in that patch. As far as I know Conquest of Paradise has nothing but North American native improvements and random new world at this point. That's something, but it's the last DLC I'd recommend.

Other than that your list seems pretty accurate though.

don't you ned CoP to request nations to support your independence?

without you're in a very hard spot to play as holland.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
let's say i want to start a joke game as navarra, is it doable or am i doomed to fail?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kulkasha posted:

Whoa, let's not go crazy there

Edit: let me explain the reasoning behind those date breaks:
-323-565 Roma
Start date is fairly obvious, end date coincides with the death of the last great Pan-Roman emperor and precedes:
565-1066 Umma
Essentially a really good opportunity to focus on Dar al Islam, not just Europe, and feature some actual Vicky-style demographic influence during a period when demographics were in severe flux;
1066-1648 Fidem
Starting the feudal game later makes way more sense, and ending with the Peace of Westphalia marks a convenient turning point from faith-based politics/diplomacy to nation-based politics/diplomacy; also, continuing dynasty-based play into later eras makes more sense than shoehorning random personal union generators into a colonization game
1648-1920 Europa
Essentially EU with Pops and way heavier economic and industrial focus
1920-1991 Novus
Starts with the most influential event of the 20th century - the aftermath of WWI - and proceeds to a proper Paradox grand strategy game instead of a glorified battle planner.

Yeah it would be really good to have a game where the last part is about colonization where you just end abruptly as soon as you start to kick it off.

and a cold war game that ends abruptly in a specific year even though there's no reason why it should end in 91 in a non original timeline game

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Transmetropolitan posted:

Not so different from anyone in the imperialism business, BUT

It is kinda funny that they came up with a really goddamn brilliant (i.e. evil) idea when colonizing Brazil, which was to mingle heavily (i.e. have fucktons of kids) with the natives, learn Tupi and convert the kids to Catholicism. It is also loving astounding that a tiny and less populous nation like Portugal managed to colonize a loving massive territory like ours in such a relatively small frame of time.

Of course, they went around that by doing a shitload of bandeiras (exploring expeditions to survey the land and capture a tribe or two while on the way) and becoming the biggest trafficker of slaves from Africa. You think slavery was a thing in the US? Brazil alone got 38.5% of all the transatlantic slave trade. British North America got 6.45%.

also our main thing in India was that we barely had any soldiers so the best way to maintain our influence in the area was by being the biggest rear end in a top hat pirates that the indian and pacific ocean had ever seen so no one would mess with us.

ahhhh, memories :allears:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Dutch revolt thing might seem very bullshity but to be fair it's the only way that Holland can be created.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poil posted:

Based on what I've seen they usually do really poorly anyway since they end up alone against whatever country they're trying to break free from. Usually a big and powerful Austria with all of their allies.

in my Russia game they managed an alliance of France Spain England and me so sometimes they can get some good backers :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the best way to form persia without playing timurids?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just started as Austria and all of the electors have a -1000 malus for voting for me, it says "Not Eligible to be the Emperor"...

what?

PleasingFungus posted:

do you have a female ruler or heir

This just happened to me and i'm confused.

Had a Maximilian who had Maria Theresa as his heir, when he died she popped out little Franz, who took the throne three years later when Theresa died.

I got the -1000 malus when Maria get named heir due to being female, i maintained the malus when she was elected and Franz was the heir and now that he's in power and i have a male heir i'm still -1000,even though the HRE is under the catholic league.

What the hell?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stop playing for a loving month and there's already an expansion out and one more being produced.

This is ridiculous. Stop! I can't afford this!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azuren posted:

Promptly allied them. Never seem them form, ever. Still have a Draculesti as their dynasty. At one point as Wallachia they were allied to the Ottos, then they turned on them after getting pulled into too many losing wars. Wrapping up "That's a silk road!", few more wars against Bengal, Ming, and Japan to go (Japan ended up as Ashikaga over a Takeda vassal with 100% LD, I took 100% OE from Ashikaga and gifted Takeda some war funds, who's currently kicking their rear end in an independence war). I'm in a name size competition with my BFF Russia, whose name is slightly larger but I have about 3.5x their dev :v:

What did you start as? I want to do a Persia run but all the starting options seem to be dependant on restarting the game, which sucks for a MP session

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veloxyll posted:

Okay. Just re-picked this up after a long absence. and how the heck do I make money?
I had wiped out (and vassalised) England as Scotland.
Then I went bankrupt.
Even at like 1/4 maintenence with my forts all napping, I was at 0 gold income.

Also went bankrupt as Portugal.
Mid-war.

Make sure your army isn't over the limit even by a single unit, mercs have higher upkeep, cavalry and arty are really expensive to maintain and forts, even if they're mothballed, still cost like .5 per month i think. If you have internal forts that will hardly be used just destroy them.

Have your navy secure your trade note for extra cash.

If all else fails just make up a bullshit war and demand war taxes :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Eh, I think with some of the events / missions that a lot of the other major European powers get (I'm looking at you, Castille, Austria, and Poland) it would be cool if the Ottomans had a way to inherit the Mamluks if they beat them badly enough, with some sort of drawback (lock the Autonomy of Egypt higher for a time or unrest, manpower penalty, part of southern Egypt breaks away, I'm sure they could think of something). The Mamluks were a paper tiger by that point in time and the Ottomans easily took over because of rebellious/defecting amirs.

Having Egypt easily conquerable but basically semi autonomous would actually be a pretty good depiction of Ottoman rule over there.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sailor count continues to be an issue for me into the late 1600s in my Buganda game :negative:. I am the people of the Great lakes of Africa! We live on the water! The lake is our lifeblood! I guess we just dont know how to be sailors :(

to be fair the differences between in-land lake travelling and trans atlantic sailing are considerable.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

common sense > rights of man > cossacks > mandate of heaven > wealth of nations / el dorado > third rome / conquest of paradise / mare nostrum / res publica

skip el dorado forward a few spaces if custom nations are of interest to you. every expansion has relevance to a specific tag/ playstyle if it's of interest to you; the first four i listed have major mechanics that are relevant for everybody.

I would put Res Publica way upper. At the very least above mandate of heaven and third rome.

It adds the monarch point focus thing which is super good compared to a dlc whsoe main objective is making Persia bow down to the Ming king of kings.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another expansion lmao

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atreiden posted:

finished my Brandenburg->Prussia game. Ended up controlling all of the americas and the african trade companies and picking up two achievements, Laughingstock and center of attention, so that was nice. I wish Prussia had a better map colour than almost uncolonized gray, I used to play with a mod that changed it to Prussian blue, but it wasn't Ironman compatible.

It was a fun run especially seeing what the Ai did to Moscow and Novgorod. it started normal with Moscow eating Novgorod, then Denmark taking the Novgorod part from Moscow, followed by Lithuania taking parts of Moscow. Moscow then exploded in a civil war. The minor Russians than fought amongst them self, with Nizhny Novgorod being the dominant power. Novgorod broke free from Denmark, only to be conquered by Sweden and Lithuania. Eventually Sweden broke its alliance with Lithuania and Sweden and the Ottomans basically split Lithuania between them.
Ming also Exploded and Korea emerged as a greatpower.

I'm at a point now where I have done most of the achievements that doesn't require a specific nation and several of the specific ones. Still a lot left, but I kinda miss having the more general ones, since it's nice to have some goals other than blob and colonize. I do wish that there was more triggered modifiers and that they weren't mainly religious ones, since that would help with goals for a campaign other than achievements.
I understand that ages sort of work like that, but I don't have Mandate of heaven and won't buy it until it goes on sale and I'm not even sure then, since it sounds like they broke East Asia with Ming.

Wait, how did you conquering all of the americas while Spain and France seem to be pretty powerful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'd think with all the constant poo poo they keep adding to the game that they would have released an Europa universalis V with all the mechanics built in from the start so that people could pay less than some 200 euros to play this game with all of its content.

I stop playing this game for two months and Suddendly i'm forty bucks behind.

• Locked thread