Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

I keep getting the notice "Too Few Seats in Parliament" as England. How many seats do I need to give out to make that go away?

Gort posted:

I found I needed six or seven seats total with the starting England provinces, with more as I expanded.

The thing that drives me nuts about this is that the number of seats you need to avoid having the AI place seats automatically for you and the number of seats you need to make the warning go away are very far apart. According to the Dev Diary, you need 1 seat per 5 non-overseas provinces, but the alert shows up if you have fewer than 1 seat per 3. If you have 30 provinces that means you need 6 seats, but warning makes it look like you need 10. Given the costs of adding extra seats (makes winning debates pricier, higher stab/WE costs) this is really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Started a Saxony campaign. I've blobbed a bit (Magdeburg/Altmark, the two Saxon provinces in Bohemia, Wurzburg) but not too much (it's 1475 and I have no AE). Brandenburg just got wrecked in a war and lost provinces to Mecklenburg and the TO - they have been reduced to 3 disconnected provinces on my northern border. It seems like "vassalize Brandenburg, then beat their cores back out of Mecklenburg and TO" is the logical strategy, but if I as an Elector vassalize another Elector will that piss off everybody? Right now I've got 2-3 other Electors backing me, but the Emperor is young. What if I eat Brandenburg and spit them back out, allowing Austria to pick a new Elector (at the cost of higher AE presumably)?

Also, is there a cost/benefit to calling an ally into a war when it's not strictly necessary? Does answering my CTA make an ally more likely to move from Friendly to Defensive?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yes. There's a -25 or -50 penalty to other electors voting for you, for each elector you have vassalized. If you have 1 electoral vassal it's a big problem, if you have 4, much less so.

Do vassal electors still gut Imperial Authority?

Sounds like I'll full-annex Brandenburg then release them as a vassal after Austria picks a new Elector then. Is there a rule about how long I have to wait before releasing for the country's relationships to reset?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Defensive pact might work. Or even explain it in a pop up.
"Views alliance as a defensive pact"
"Will help you however they can"
"Alliance of convince, fair weather friends"

Type thing. This may already be a thing but I think defensive allies shouldn't call you into all their lovely wars unless they are willing to go into yours. Unless rivals are involved of course.

But joining their wars increases trust, which moves them from Defensive to Friendly, right? What's the easiest way to go from Defensive to Friendly?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Can someone tell me why I would want to use privateers instead of protect trade and what the difference between them is?

I pretty much just use Privateers for Power Projection so I'm not an expert, but I think a big part of it is that you can use Privateers on nodes you can't transfer from (meaning you'd otherwise have no way to get money from there).

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Wiz posted:

quote:

Anyone else notice the HRE not passing reforms? I've watched the emperor (Saxony) sit at 100 authority for nearly a century without passing even the first reform.
Authority is not enough, votes have to be in favor as well.

Since Embassies were removed, the Emperor has one less Diplomat to suck up to HRE members with. I wonder if that could play a role.

Elman posted:

Just ran into a weird bug:

My annexation isn't making any progress cause my dip points are negative, but my points just won't go up. Every month I get 1 diplo for an instant, then it drops back to -5.

Is the percent complete going up?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

VDay posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of what the proper/optimal way to feed provinces to a vassal before diplo-annexing them is? Or what I should be looking out for to make that process go smoother? I'm familiar with the basics and giving them their old/taken cores is obvious, but I've watched a bunch of streams/videos of good players do it and they always seem to be checking some kind of mental (or actual) math when it comes to giving a vassal more land. I'm assuming they're making sure the vassal doesn't get overwhelmed and go down some kind of perpetual rebellion hellhole, but what are they actually checking?

(I am not an expert, but I'll try to help)

Vassals have over-extension just like you do. Additionally, religious and cultural factors come into play - ideally you want the vassal to accept all of its cultures. Since the acceptance threshold is (usually) 20% of their (hopefully lower than yours) development, you want to give them provinces they can accept or are close to being able to accept, so that they can convert those provinces or at least get more use out of them.

AE is another factor - you get all the AE your vassal gets, so vassal-feeding only helps you AE-wise if the vassal has a core/claim on the province and you don't.

Finally, you need to keep track and make sure you don't feed your vassal so much that they become a threat. Pre-AoW, I could feed a vassal half of Central Europe without a care, but now that's a heck of a lot of Liberty Desire.

Rincewind posted:

So, who's the emperor in everyone's games? Austria seemed to lose control of the HRE very quickly in my game. After a brief interval where Bohemia was emperor, the HRE's been glued to Brandenburg ever since.

Right before the Emperor died in my Saxony game, he got into a war defending the Empire so he stole the election from me. This doubly sucked because I wound up doing most of the fighting in that war since Austria decided to screw around with dumb Italian stuff instead.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 11, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Traxis posted:

So, is there actually any penalty for not having enough seats in parliament? I haven't noticed anything so far.

It puts the seats down for you. I got an event where one of my cities demanded a seat in Parliament: I had a choice between giving them a Seat, or losing -1/-1/-1 in that province permanently.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Rincewind posted:

How long does that event take to fire? I've been running with like 6 seats for a century without noticing anything bad happening.

No clue. Strictly speaking I don't even know if that event is related to not having enough seats, but I had had low seats warning for a while and then it fired. It wasn't like immediately after I conquered/cored something (to my knowledge), so it could just be a normal event.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Yashichi posted:

What's the warscore cost of the religious league peace? I'm putting off starting the war since getting 100% would be a nightmare but I could probably blitz an early 40 much more easily

I think the warscore cost is only like 50 or so, but there's a massive bonus to War Enthusiasm for the Religious League war. So you can't blitz it pretty much no matter what.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

If I use the Enforce Religion option on one of my vassals, will the 50% liberty desire gained start to decay over time? Or do I have to take specific actions to reduce it?

It drops like 1% per year or so I think.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TomEmanski posted:

Any strategy on what to develop on provinces with a lot of trade power? Currently have a "tall" Genoa game going and not sure how to most efficiently develop my provinces. Torn between upgrading tax vs production in the trade provinces. Thinking I'll focus on manpower in my non-trade provinces.

If you have high trade power in the nodes, you get to essentially double-dip on Production, because you get the money from Production and the money from Trade.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Elman posted:

So, how do you tell your colony to attack another colony? It should be an option now but I can't find it anywhere.

You can't. You can subsidize them so they build a bigger army and screw with their governors until they get a Militarist, but you can't force them to declare war. You can declare war on their behalf and you can intervene in their wars if they're losing (both of which bring in the colonial overlord of their enemy, if applicable), but you can't order them to declare a war you don't take part in.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

IS there some reason that the AI can instantly diplo annex large swathes of territory? I just saw Muscovy "inherit" their vassal Circassia a few months after it got released as a brand new country from Crimea. I saw Sweden do the same thing with Novgorod earlier in the same game.

Direct Inheritance is a possible outcome from Personal Unions and/or Succession stuff. Basically instead of going into a PU (or a PU continuing on ruler death) they just annex/integrate for no diplo cost. It's not common and I'm pretty sure size is a huge factor in that, but it happens.

It can also happen to players - I pushed a Succession War on an HRE minor in my Commonwealth game last patch for shits and giggles (and to get the achievement) and then when my ruler died I ended up owning all their territory (which was annoying because ugly borders).

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Schizotek posted:

Honestly they probably did it so that the Berber states stand a chance. What the gently caress would Morocco do if the Iberians didn't have to ship troops to invade?

I think a lot of it isn't so much making it easier to invade as the fact that having a strait there would let the Iberians count anything in Africa they have a direct land connection to as non-distant-overseas.

StinkingHomo posted:

Is there a reason to hit the button early to instantly integrate Lithuania when you're playing as Poland? I'm in the 1600's and he keeps on claiming poo poo to the east. Every few years I push his claims, he does all the fighting and I give him 5-7 provinces. Will I be missing any cool unique to Commonwealth events or something? Because having a strong Lithuania expanding to the east seems really good to me. Dude even westernized so he's several techs ahead of everyone to the east.

I think most of the events work for Poland as well as Commonwealth, so as long as you can stay below 50% liberty desire you're in good shape. However, I think there are cultural threshold implications involved - if you pull in too much territory at once some of the cultures may not be above the threshold they need to get accepted. I have no idea how this would actually play out (especially since you have so many bonuses in that regard) but it seems like it could be a thing.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gitro posted:

Cultures my Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth accepts: Crimean, Prussian, Byelo/russian, Ruthenian.

Cultures it does not accept: Lithuanian.

I assume it's down to Lithuanian not being in the West Slavic group, but that's not exactly what I expected when Lithuanian is in the name of the country I formed.

It's likely because you don't have enough Lithuanian provinces. You have to hit a certain province or development threshold (defaults to 20%, but gets lower with Ideas/Traditions/Ambitions) for a culture to become accepted, and then you lose acceptance when the culture falls below a certain threshold (half of your first threshold). Likely when you integrated Lithuania, Lithuanian was less than X% of your combined nation so it didn't become accepted.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So as Castile, I vassalized Navarra and they ate a bunch of Aragon and 2 southern French provinces. But then of course I got the Iberian wedding. Is it worth breaking vassalization on Navarra, punching half of Aragon out of them, and then re-vassalizing in a second war, just to save a few hundred point integrating? I'm thinking no, but this is really annoying.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Is it actually, like, 160.1 arbitrary units of distance away? That would be a total kick in the dick, but afaik it should be possible given how EUIV rounds numbers.

I'm having problems with colonization too. All non-adjacent colonies are out of range for me, I can only colonize places next to existing cores.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I had this problem when playing a save after a patch once, I think you uhh... need to delete some file and let the game re-generate the thingy that calculates distances. Someone help me out here? What am I remembering?

I'll be happy to try whatever, but it seems to be calculating the distances correctly, just not accepting that I'm within those distances (so it'll say my colonial range is 432 and a province is 86 away, but that's too far). I'm having the same problem with trade distance as well.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

Ok I can now confirm this, easiest way to get the BBB achievement, now to PU Muscowy for the next part of this.

How are you doing this, are you vassalizing electors or are you bribing them somehow? Which electors did you vassalize?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Now that the inflation reduction buildings are gone, what are the best ways to reduce inflation? Is it just "take Economic ideas and have a Master of Mint advisor", or is there something else?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So Pope Power got a nice buff in the 1.13 beta. 50 Papal Influence buys you a +15% tax modifier for 20 years, or +15% manpower recovery or +1 legitimacy/diplorep/prestige yearly for 20 years. There's an inflation reduction one too. They're still not as good as 100 PI for 1 Stability, but they're a lot better than they were. I'm Catholic Spain and I can usually stay at 2-3 stability and keep 1-2 of those buffs up.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How dumb of an idea is it to try to leave the HRE? I finally got enough development as the Palatinate to upgrade to Kingdom, only to find out that regular HRE members can't actually do that (and since I'm Protestant and lost the league war I can't be anything except a regular member). Obviously the emperor will loving hate it, but does it affect relations with other HRE members? Most of my survivability is coming from alliances with other mega-princes.

If you're smack-dab in the middle of the HRE, leaving means you have to fight the Emperor every time you go to war with your neighbors. If you want to expand any more this game, then that's a lot of fighting Austria or whoever. I don't think that's worth a diplomat and a slightly faster cooldown on National Focus, but it's up to you.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Would there be benefit to doing a new learning LP for EU4? I feel like so much has changed since the original release, even without DLC.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

People ask constantly, if you're in the mood you definitely should.

I've never done an LP before, but I agree it needs to be done.

Poil posted:

I don't think anyone would say no to that.

alcaras posted:

Definitely interested!

What do you think it should look like? I'm trying to get a sense of which countries would make good tutorial countries that let you look at most of the major mechanics. I'm thinking Ottomans is the best example (multiple easy wars scaling into a moderate-difficulty war against Mamluks, diplovassalize Crimea, vassal-feed Iraq or something, the diversity gets you a good look at religious conversion and accepted cultures, etc). Would probably need a Spanish interlude or something to go over colonizing. Would it make sense to play with DLC and highlight which things I do belong to which DLC, or would it be best to do without DLC?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I think a change would be awful. It would take decades of planning to upgrade a province enough to build a new building. It would take 100 years to go up 10 levels for the next building. I think beyond a certain point the cost could conceivably be made steeper but I have no good suggestion on where. Maybe after total development reaches certain thresholds (after reaching a total of 100 development the % increase after each upgrade goes to 4% instead of 2%?) but I really do not think it is necessary.

In a world where having a city with 60 development is supposed to be an achievement (albeit an "Easy" one on par with forming Russia), the contemporary numbers are a bit nuts. Plus the whole "Italian OPMs have 75 development in the 1600s and therefore cost all your Admin to core" bit is really harsh. I agree that a threshold would be a good idea - maybe have it kick in at 50 or so?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Or a better way, sit your navy out in the waters and hope that the ottomans split theirs up. When half or so of their navy ends up on the same province as your navy declare war in hopefully instantly wipe out half of their navy, giving you the naval advantage.

Still though, they're likely to get access from people to go around the black sea. So you really do still need good and powerful allies on the European side of the Bosporus.

Getting a white peace gives you another 5 years to get stronger, and forcing any concessions out of them at all gets you an even longer truce timer. If you know they're coming for you, it might be better to hit first to get that white peace and buy a few extra years.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Sindai posted:

Someone else had the same idea. :v:

Wiz also indicated on the Pdox forums that there will be an update to the beta coming later this week - presumably with that change and a few bug fixes.

Obliterati posted:

If anything you'd probably want to avoid 'long' games and instead do short runs as different nations. On the DLC front, surely you'd want to pack in as much DLC as possible? Otherwise it's not hugely different from a few versions back.

Yeah, I mean I don't foresee a learning LP running to 1821 (and I've only had a few games go that long anyhow), but I'd want some continuity between posts explaining concepts. Like it's one thing to do 2-3 mid-length runs (one for Ottomans doing the basics, one for Colonization/Exploration, one for non-Western perspectives?) and another to do a different run for each of half a dozen different concepts. I'd also want to avoid countries that are too one-off/special-event heavy - since most Poland strategy involves feeding and free-integrating Lithuania and dealing with a special government type nobody else has, I'm not sure it's the best starter, for instance.

My DLC concern is that I don't want to do a learning/tutorial LP and have it feel inaccessible to people who didn't buy all the expansions - does it make sense to note where something I'm doing only works with DLC, or would it be better to say "if you had DLC X, you could do Y here"?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

VDay posted:

Just going to throw this out there but I think Muscovy makes for a pretty good learning nation. You've got an easy war target in Novgorod to beat up, some vassals to demonstrate those mechanics, colonization (albeit only same-continent) and exploration once you diplo-annex Perm, and a good demonstration of religious/cultural stuff between your own Orthodox lands, Lithuania's orthodox lands, and the Sunni hordes to your south.

Hmm, that makes a lot of sense.

nessin posted:

I'd do Spain, England, Muscovy or Austria for a tutorial video. The first three get you multiple wars, colonization, heavy handed diplomacy, very clear goals and specific decisions. Spain and England get you some naval material and exploration on top of that, Spain also gets you special events and probably PUs. Austria shows off the real challenges with diplomacy, the HRE, and lets you really explore complex relationships in wars.

My worry with Spain or England was that there are a lot of mechanics that are specific to those countries (Iberian Wedding, War of the Roses, Parliament, all the Moorish events) that I'd need to cover and be like "but this whole thing is country-specific so don't worry about it in your game".

My one concern with playing a Russia game as a tutorial is that I've never played as Russia before. What's the general strategy - take the mission and hit Novgorod first? And then just get a bunch of allies so I can deal with Poland-Lithuania to take all those sweet sweet Orthodox/same-culture-group provinces off of them?

Also I was thinking doing a screen-shot LP since those seem easier and more accessible as a reference (so if a new player has a question about X, he can just scroll to that post instead of re-watching a video).

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 6, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Apoffys posted:

The only idea I have that modifies tech cost is the one in Administrative that gives -10% to admin tech. I have Administrative, Trade, Defensive and Humanist ideas, and I'm playing as the Ottomans. So why do I get a 14% discount to diplomatic and military tech, and 26% for admin tech due to "ideas"? It should be 10% for admin and 0% for diplo/military, right?

You get a 2% tech discount from each Idea you take - every Military idea is -2% military tech cost, for instance.

Edit: Curse you Chickpea Roar!!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

nessin posted:

How in the hell do you get off the ground as Lucca? I can't get a single start that doesn't involve one of the things happening:

1) Allying with Milan and/or Savoy to take down Ferrara or maybe Florence if I'm lucky, but they end up being called to other wars and overrun (army wise) before I can finish mine and I can't support the troops to even siege the capitals of either nation.

2) Allying with the Papal States and being shut down from expanding because it's considered a "Great Power" by France/Austria/Hungary and eventually getting crushed by dealing with the HRE land penalty (since I can't get Austria above the point where they don't ask) and the eventual encroachment of someone (Aragon, France, etc).

3) Allying with someone to take down Genoa but then losing the stepping stone into Asia as Crimea, Circassia or someone will take the opportunity to grab Genoa's holdings over there before I can get rid of the truce timer from picking up Scio.

How long are you waiting for opportunities to develop? If you're a big country like Castile or France or even a mid-range power like Brandenburg, you've usually got easy pickings nearby you can attack in 1444 or 1445 unless they get killer alliances, but if you're an OPM you really need to wait for an opportunity to strike, like Ferrara/Florence getting into offensive wars (or allied defenses) and getting beaten on. Of course, as you hinted above, the catch there is that you need to hurry the heck up and stop being an OPM so that a mid-range power or a big country won't decide that you're a tasty morsel to eat.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

When you make a random new world, are the same number of provinces kept? I'm explorting "brazil" right now and it's like 3 huge provinces that cover 1/4 of the map.

Sadly, the Random New World is based on the old province count for the New World, before Art of War or El Dorado added a bunch of new provinces in North/South America.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gort posted:

So is the way to expand within the HRE to vassalise neighbours and annex them that way? Is straight-up conquering provinces from people too much AE?

Larry Parrish posted:

Usually yeah. It's better to slowly vassal feed one or two relatively small nations, especially if they used to be big but got pwned by coalitions, so they have lots of cores to return.

There's a -25 to all HRE members for diplo-annexing an HRE member, so it's better to diploannex one big one (that you fed) than a few smaller ones. Plus, the Unlawful Territory modifier really damages any land you directly acquire for a decade or so, so it's not like you lose anything by having your vassal hold that revolt-prone useless land while that timer ticks down.

aeglus posted:

Honestly I think going influence first is a better idea since it'll help you expand faster and you aren't wasting any important monarch points since diplo is useless to you until later in the game. If you go that route then keep your boost parked on admin until practically tech 10 at which point you switch over to military focus and fill out your first military idea.

You should also be as aggressive as possible in taking out all of Pommerania and getting Danzig ASAP. I go the opposite route again and ally Bohemia and Austria and try to kill Poland as soon as it gets tied up in something since you can expand there without pissing off all of the HRE.

I usually went Influence first, grabbed Neumark and Danzig early then force-vassalized Pommerania. Now that grabbing land you can't core isn't a thing, I'd probably try to grab the connecting territory from Pommerania and hold off on vassalization a bit. But I haven't done Brandenburg since 1.10/1.11. I did a Saxony => Prussia game though and that's just as fun as Brandenburg => Prussia.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Remember that having an alliance and good relations with the Emperor will dissuade them from demanding unlawful territory on you, so if you're going to be conquering much it's helpful to be (or be friends with) the Emperor. Humanist would be good for the +33% relations over time, but the rest of the group doesn't appeal that much to me. Since you'll likely be grabbing fairly large chunks of territory and force-vassalizing, having the flat AE reductions works better IMO.

Right, but that's not really super-feasible in my experience if (a) you're going balls-to-the-wall Prussia and/or (b) you're not the same religion as the Emperor. Yeah, you can win the League War, but that takes a while after the Reformation to (a) fire and (b) be in an optimal place to actually kick off the war.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

This is a very strange vacation Paradox is taking :confused:
I loving love Paradox

Wiz said his vacation starts next week. I imagine he's just spent the last two weeks in the office by himself, in his shorts, with his feet up on the desk getting that lovely feeling of uninterrupted productivity.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

No limit. A March can have as much basetax/development as you can feed it.

There is a soft limit - there are development thresholds where the March takes progressively larger Liberty Desire penalties. This is on top of the "power relative to liege" Liberty Desire.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I had no idea about those stackwipe mechanics! It seems a bit counter-intuitive. In general though that was my strategy. Line of mountain forts and let the enemy dash them selves against it. But they'd keep coming and coming. I'd tag switch to check out their situation soemtimes and they were at like -1000 gold and 0 manpower but they just kept fielding 100 unit stacks and any time I ventured out to siege I'd get worn down by repeated attacks.

That of course was all in a game that I had started before the latest patch, so like every province had 50-100 dev. That's how 3-4 province minors were fielding 50+ unit armies. The out of control dev bloated everything.

The AI never really knows when to quit. It will go balls-to-the-wall and drive deep into debt and war exhaustion to win.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Releasing minors = Making France smaller = Making their Liberty Desire smaller?

Yes, that's the idea.

PittTheElder posted:

Ah, then yeah, attack Castile. If you lose, or even if you win, try and release minors from northern France. Though I don't know if the peace deal would let you do that.

Every time I've gotten into a war with France on one side and Castile/Spain on the other, Castile comes wandering into France. Let them attack the French stacks and that'll wear them down some.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gitro posted:

Question about the Treaty of Tordesillas - does it only work for European catholics? Just jumped ship from Tyrone to Canada and I'm not going to stay catholic if I don't get me some sweet papal colony boosts. My relations are at 65 so I know it's not that.

You need to have a colonial nation in the region to get the bonuses, I think.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So if I moved my capital to Cagliari I could conquer north africa and have a big Mediterranean empire with no distant overseas?

I don't know about "big", but a couple of provinces immediately near Cagliari, yeah. I don't know the exact range but I doubt you'd get Tripoli for instance.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TTBF posted:

I believe someone's mentioned that privateers do that, but I haven't messed around with them often enough to confirm it. My impression is that they just make a huge black hole as a gently caress you to the countries trading there.

They don't transfer trade upstream. Instead, they collect trade as a separate "nation" and then you get 40% of it as Spoils of War (or a fraction of 40%, if you're not the only one pirating). However, privateers can be used in trade nodes you can't steer from, so if you're Castile you can privateer the Chesapeake Bay and get a little bit of money that way, where you couldn't get any of it by transferring trade (since it doesn't transfer anywhere that transfers to Sevilla).

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

-I don't know if "protecting trade" fleets have a diminishing return. I assume they do and usually keep those fleets at about 8-10 light ships a node. But I could easily be above or below that figure

Each marginal light ship adds the same amount of trade power, but as the total trade power in a node grows, you get less advantage from adding more trade power yourself. Let's say there's a node with 100 trade power (and 20 trade value) and you have 50 TP, giving you 50% of the node (and 10 ducats). You put 5 barques there, netting you another 15 TP. Now you have 65/115 TP in the node, or 56.5% of the node (11.3 ducats). Another 5 barques gives you 80/130 TP, or 61.5% of the node (12.3 ducats). Your first 5 barques got you an extra 1.3g, and your second 5 barques got you an extra 1g. Another 5 barques (15 in total) gives you 95/145 TP (65.5% of the node) and 13.1 ducats - you only made 0.8 ducats from adding those marginal ships. Eventually the maintenance of the ships added is more than the extra ducats you make, but long before that you hit a point where either (a) the time-to-payoff of the boats rises so high as to be pointless[1] or (b) protecting trade in another node offers better bang for the buck.

Obviously, differences in trade efficiency or other modifiers will change these numbers slightly, but the general point remains.

[1] - Each barque is 20 ducats, so each 5 barque fleet costs 100 ducats (assuming no inflation, docks, whatever). Your first 5 barques make you 1.3 ducats per month, so they take 77 months (6.5 years) to replace the 100 ducats you spent. Your next 5 barques only make an extra 1 ducat/month, so it takes 100 months (8.33) years to pay them off. And that's ignoring maintenance - I can't find maintenance numbers, but the correct formula is [fleet cost]/([monthly trade income]-[fleet maintenance]). The same math applies to buildings - a 100 ducat temple that brings in 0.2 ducats/month doesn't break even for almost 42 years (500 months).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Seriously what the hell

Ottomans can be kind of a glass cannon at the start - if they get rolling and eat the minors near them and don't get into major fights before moving on to the Levant, Iraq, and Egypt, they're usually in great shape to be a world power. If they pick an early fight with a huge power bloc before they've really consolidated, they can get stomped. Once they lose one war, the Mamluks will dogpile them, and that's the ballgame.

Pellisworth posted:

It's also totally alright to fall behind a tech level or two if you really need the points for coring or important ideas. Diplomatic tech in particular is not all that useful for non-colonizers, which is why I usually pick a Diplomatic idea line first and point dump it to unlock some bonuses.

You get discounts if you're behind neighbors in tech, so there's no harm in waiting a few years and buying it at a -10% or -15% discount. It's a bad idea to fall behind on Military tech, though.

The AI buys techs on January 1st usually, so if it's September and you're thinking about buying a tech, hold off until January to see if the discount improves. Personally, I never buy a tech that's not at least -5% unless it's for a specific reason (I badly want to be one Mil Tech up on my enemy in a war I'm about to start, I need to rush an Idea Group, etc). For Admin and Diplo techs, I usually wait until I absolutely need the tech or my points are near cap or until it's -10% before buying because I'm obsessive about point maximization. The only techs that really matter early on from a "these make your game" perspective are Admin 5/7/10 (grant the first ideas), Diplo 7 (crucial if you're colonizing), and Miltech 4-10 (Tactics bonuses are must-have). That's not to say other techs don't matter (Diplo 23 gives really nice CBs, or Admin 17/23/27 for Admin/Dev Efficiency, for instance) and obviously new units are something you want ASAP, but of the 96 techs, probably 60+ of them aren't of the "gotta have right now" variety.

Each Idea in a category (Admin/Diplo/Mil) gives you a 2% discount on those techs, which helps.

• Locked thread